ADVERTISEMENT

In other news...

Joni's completely sold out. She's become a Blackburn level shill.
Anybody who couldn’t tell, from her original campaign ads and debate performances, that she was completely unqualified from a sanity perspective for her position is a Rube Extroardinaire.

I think it’s going to be, but we shall see.
It's way too early to predict what's going to happen in the Senate.

Ernst made a calculus that firing up the base was more important than reaching across the aisle. In a state that Trump carried by nearly 10 points, that seems like a reasonable calculus to make.

It isn't too late, but Dems are going to have to move forward with a candidate and a message damned quick. They have pissed away months on this waste of time and money. I am not a told you so kind of guy but let's hope the second half of the warning doesn't come to pass.

Random addendum to discussions about Senate races:

Our country has become so polarized that only nine states have Senators from both parties (counting the independents as Dems, that includes Maine, but not Vermont), and that number is very likely to go down in November. For all the talk that America is really a purple nation, when you look at people in large groups - say, at the state level - they very quickly become either bright blue or bright red.

It's way too early to predict what's going to happen in the Senate.

Ernst made a calculus that firing up the base was more important than reaching across the aisle. In a state that Trump carried by nearly 10 points, that seems like a reasonable calculus to make.
There were several flips bigger than that in 2018 elections I think. That election could have been people just wanting a check on Trump, we’ll see.

There were several flips bigger than that in 2018 elections I think. That election could have been people just wanting a check on Trump, we’ll see.
2018 - along with the various special elections - were driven by unprecedented Democratic turnout. While I do believe that we will see big turnout in November, as well, Democrats already see decent turnout during presidential elections, so there won't be as much room for growth.

That being said, I'm not predicting Ernst holds her seat. Like I said, too early. I'm just saying that I can see how her campaign's official nerds got together in a room, studied the numbers, and recommended the strategy she decided to go with. It makes sense.

2018 - along with the various special elections - were driven by unprecedented Democratic turnout. While I do believe that we will see big turnout in November, as well, Democrats already see decent turnout during presidential elections, so there won't be as much room for growth.

That being said, I'm not predicting Ernst holds her seat. Like I said, too early. I'm just saying that I can see how her campaign's official nerds got together in a room, studied the numbers, and recommended the strategy she decided to go with. It makes sense.
Oh I think you’re right. I think that’s what many of them did. McSally chose to go full on Trumpster with her liberal hack routine, and so did several others. I think the key in this election is getting young people out ( how many times have we said this) . If they show up in unprecedented numbers a lot of those folks will be in trouble.

Oh I think you’re right. I think that’s what many of them did. McSally chose to go full on Trumpster with her liberal hack routine, and so did several others. I think the key in this election is getting young people out ( how many times have we said this) . If they show up in unprecedented numbers a lot of those folks will be in trouble.
I'm more surprised about McSally. She tried to be a little less visible about it, but I still think that was a dangerous strategy for her. AZ has been threatening full blue for a few cycles now.

I'm more surprised about McSally. She tried to be a little less visible about it, but I still think that was a dangerous strategy for her. AZ has been threatening full blue for a few cycles now.

its about the super pac $$$. Period.

Put simply, the pubs know they’ve made a deal with the devil. And Mitch & the RNC are holding the purse strings. Cross Trump and you’re primaried. Ask Thom Tillis in NC about how that works.

FWIW, I think the strategy will backfire on some of the red senators up for re-election (looking at you, Gardner, McSalley, Tillis, Collins & possibly Ernst).

Thanks Citizens United!

The red states are a minority of the population. But because of the structure of the senate, they’re essentially driving the senate now. And the dark money (which we know some of which is coming from OUTSIDE our national borders) is driving those red state senators. There’s truly no other explanation for the massive act of group cowardice we saw on the witnesses/documents vote. How the hell wasn’t that a good idea? Isn’t the objective of any trial to get to the truth???

Keep this is mind also- it’s not as if Trump will behave after this. Or, more wont come about Ukraine AND other matters. If Bill Barr is worried about Trump’s “favors” for autocratic leaders, then there’s a helluva lot more bubbling under the surface.

Not calling witnesses will backfire. If Ernst was so concerned about Biden’s behavior, shouldn’t they have pushed for he and his son to testify? They literally HAD THE VOTES. They knew that they would open Pandora’s box with witnesses and documents, because they knew what Bolton would say. Hell, the WHITE HOUSE knew what Bolton would say, and they were actually passing the questions to the senators to ask during the question phase. Oh, and Cipollone was actually a WITNESS to Trump holding up the aid specifically to go after Joe Biden.

plus, they knew that their conspiracy theory crap against the Bidens would backfire if brought to light. How else do you not explain them refusing to call either or both of the Bidens to testify? Again, they had the votes.

I hope they’re ready for a dem president.

Think of it like this- If a border wall is needed to protect against the surging wave of immigrants (which is absolutely false), then why couldn’t climate change be an emergency that the president can divert funds for, and declare a State of emergency? How about the wealth gap? Poverty?

the list can be endless. FWIW, I’m not in favor of a president having that much power. The unitary executive theory is complete BS, and it’s taken hold right now. I DO think it’s time for the dems to take the gloves off- it’s against their nature to fight dirty like the pubs have done for several decades now.

The senate has essentially given away its powers, and now there’s some damning court case precedent fo back it up. By supporting Trump 1,000% (because he demands absolute fealty), they’ve broken the institutions within congress that can hold a president in check. And apparently have endorsed inviting and using foreign influence in our elections. It’s insane.

it’s truly sad. Changing demographics helped the pubs in 2016 (by firing up the rabid base), but that strategy can’t last forever. The younger generation is very much anti just about everything that Trump trumpets.

The only question is, how much damage will the pubs do to our country and it’s institutions until the demographic changes overturn the “Trump strategy”?

My hope is that the folks in the Midwest that wanted to blow up the system are less enthused, and the younger generation actually shows up. As they did in 2018. And the suburban white women continue to trend blue. Women generally have better sense than us men. And they know what they see right now is a GD abomination. Hell, they basically turned the tide in 2018- and Trump wasn’t even on the ballot. How do you think it’s going to turn out this time?

I’m just glad I’ll be on the right side of history. It may be little consolation, however. I just hope that it won’t be too late to salvage everything (balance of power, protection of minority rights, decency).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT