ADVERTISEMENT

In important matters

Which players do you think have improved under Archie? My biggest concern is that I’m seeing zero player development. Devante, Justin, Rob, Deron? Trayce is saving us, but other than that, I’m not sure I really see a whole lot of talent there. I don’t think we have anyone coming in that is a knockdown shooter, which is what we’ve needed for two years now,
Rob just got back - he has to adapt. Justin started the year awesome and has slipped a bit. I’m hoping he gets back to early season form. Devante is a solid sixth man and I never really believed that DD was all that good. I think he was overrated coming in.

I didn’t care if we had a chance of victory or not, which we obviously did. I was done watching us play like that against a really horrible team. I’m not sure what team you are watching that you think we have a chance to win more than we lose. I actually don’t think we will be favored in another game. We played the worst team, by far, in the conference, at home, they were short handed, and we barely pulled it out. We are bad. I hope you’re right , but I don’t think so.
Tend to agree. It was obvious last night that we are not any where near where we need to be. This team simply can't shoot the rock. They don't even really try from the parameter. Good on them that they buckled down on D and got points in the paint to eek out the win against a weak conference opponent, at home. But you have to be able to hit outside shots and 3s to be any good. This team can't, and doesn't.

@Marvin the Martian I think Ken is proving that he is the GOAT, and that James simply developed the GOAT strategy. Now that Ken is stealing his plan, he's proving he's the top dog.

I would not be at all surprised if this thing ends Monday.

Agree. I think James really deflated after missing that DJ in G2 last night. Getting that correct would have provided him with the final margin he'd have needed (assuming he doubled it in FJ) to catch Ken. After the two DJs in the next round went early he rightly figured out he was mathematically done. He seemed to phone it in from there.

I think Ken will win, but James just needs better DJ luck. I haven't kept count but I'd have to think he's uncovered fewer than the other two guys have. Brad, oddly, seems like he's uncovered more. Not that it's helped him.

I'd be stunned if it ended Monday, BTW. It doesn't air again until Tuesday.

@Marvin the Martian I think Ken is proving that he is the GOAT, and that James simply developed the GOAT strategy. Now that Ken is stealing his plan, he's proving he's the top dog.

I would not be at all surprised if this thing ends Monday.
I agree and it’s probably just an age and experience thing to be honest. He’s had 9 more years to accumulate knowledge over JJ and I think that’s a big advantage.

Uh . . . we won.
Were you at the game or did you even watch it? If you saw much to be excited about, good for you. I’ll be back at the end of the month on this thread and we will see where we stand. After watching the rest of the conference and watching us this last month, I don’t see much to be excited about. Yay. We beat the worst team in the B1G at home, and they were short handed. Who is next? I hope it’s OSU. I remain skeptical.

Were you at the game or did you even watch it? If you saw much to be excited about, good for you. I’ll be back at the end of the month on this thread and we will see where we stand. After watching the rest of the conference and watching us this last month, I don’t see much to be excited about. Yay. We beat the worst team in the B1G at home, and they were short handed. Who is next? I hope it’s OSU. I remain skeptical.
<IUScott>
Not a True Fan (tm)
</IUScott>

I watched it in my home theater. Every minute. I see you are one of the pessimistic fans, which fits with my long standing theory that liberals are generally pessimists. ;) I’m not. The last part of that game they played the way they need to play to finish this season strong.

I watched it in my home theater. Every minute. I see you are one of the pessimistic fans, which fits with my long standing theory that liberals are generally pessimists. ;) I’m not. The last part of that game they played the way they need to play to finish this season strong.
I’m a realistic fan, I’ll be back in a month and we will see who was right. I’d dearly love to be wrong. And if there are chemistry issues as rumored and they are fixed , that might help. But the talking back to Archie, refusing to go into the game, and a variety of other things have me ver concerned. Oh this is a liberal conservative thing, is it?

I’m a realistic fan, I’ll be back in a month and we will see who was right. I’d dearly love to be wrong. And if there are chemistry issues as rumored and they are fixed , that might help. But the talking back to Archie, refusing to go into the game, and a variety of other things have me ver concerned. Oh this is a liberal conservative thing, is it?
Every pessimistic fan claims they're a "realistic fan." The liberal/pessimist thing is a theory based on my observations since the 80s when I started my transition from liberal Democrat to Republican. Democrats were generally pessimistic and negative about America while Republicans were generally optimistic and positive about America. Until recent years I considered it pretty rock solid. I'm not as sold on it now, except it still seems to apply to older liberals.

Every pessimistic fan claims they're a "realistic fan." The liberal/pessimist thing is a theory based on my observations since the 80s when I started my transition from liberal Democrat to Republican. Democrats were generally pessimistic and negative about America while Republicans were generally optimistic and positive about America. Until recent years I considered it pretty rock solid. I'm not as sold on it now, except it still seems to apply to older liberals.

When we looked good today, we looked real good. But I cannot understand how we can't shoot free throws.

That team today will make the tourney.

If we play like this on the road you will be correct. I’m skeptical we can do it , but today was a huge step forward. Defense was phenomenal, as was effort. Let’s get a W at Rutgers and I’ll be happy to eat crow.

Reactions: T.M.P.
When we looked good today, we looked real good. But I cannot understand how we can't shoot free throws.

Yes, I'll admit that THAT team doesn't have me doubting whether Miller is the guy or not.

It's all defense. When we play good defense we have a good chance. And today, other than free throws, our offense looked good too.

Yes, I'll admit that THAT team doesn't have me doubting whether Miller is the guy or not.

It's all defense. When we play good defense we have a good chance. And today, other than free throws, our offense looked good too.
I had reason to be optimistic.

The liberal/pessimist thing
That's BS. Both sides are equally stupid when it comes to sports.

There's not a drug or female on this planet that makes someone as dumb irrational, and unreasonable as a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89

Challenging them in the paint was consistent today. Brunk and DeRon may move slower than glaciers (well, glaciers may not move as slow nowadays, unfortunately), but they put a body on people, rebound and are big time space eaters. Impressed with how we handled Wesson inside. Like the Arkansas game, though, at tmes, we just couldn't quite jump out more quickly to defend the three. And O$U has some very good three ballers. Just glad they didn't drop down the stretch for them.

Good offense. Great enthusiasm and hustle. Big time win today.

Last edited:
Challenging them in the paint was consistent today. Brunk and DeRon may move slower than glaciers (well, glaciers may not move as slow nowadays, unfortunately), but they put a body on people, rebound and are big time space eaters. Impressed with how we handled Wesson inside. Like the Arkansas game, though, at tmes, we just couldn't quite jump out more quickly to defend the three. And O$U has some very good three ballers. Just glad they didn't drop down the stretch for them.

Good offense. Great enthusiasm and hustle. Big time win today.
When they hit that 30 footer at the end of the shot clock, my first thought was here we go again. But that may have been the last three they hit. They worked really hard on defense today.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan

And how every single game we go on an extended scoring drought. Ten minutes without a field goal. Fortunately OSU didn’t do much then either.

Before the tourney started, I picked Brad. Wow, was I wrong. Brad wasn't even competitive. I wonder if he took it seriously.

I read an interview with Ken and he said that he originally told them no about doing GOAT. He changed his mind as he realized it would be his last time to be on the show with Alex.

One thing I liked was that the three were not stiff. James making fun of Brad for having the same score in game 2 as he ended game 1 with was great.

Who thinks Ken could replace Alex?

Now for a quibble, do we know that there was no one from the Art Fleming era that wasn't better than Ken? Admittedly, do to aging impacts, no way anyone from Art's era could beat Ken today.

Before the tourney started, I picked Brad. Wow, was I wrong. Brad wasn't even competitive. I wonder if he took it seriously.

I read an interview with Ken and he said that he originally told them no about doing GOAT. He changed his mind as he realized it would be his last time to be on the show with Alex.

One thing I liked was that the three were not stiff. James making fun of Brad for having the same score in game 2 as he ended game 1 with was great.

Who thinks Ken could replace Alex?

Now for a quibble, do we know that there was no one from the Art Fleming era that wasn't better than Ken? Admittedly, do to aging impacts, no way anyone from Art's era could beat Ken today.

Two things:

1. I was shocked when James missed FJ. After that stunning comeback in Game 2 he was one FJ away from extending this match. When he missed it, I was deflated.

2. My understanding of game show rules is that hosts and contestants cannot have had any prior relationship. That would mean that if Ken were to take over as host, no one who he has previously known IRL could appear on the show. Not only would that eliminate a number of former champions from returning to compete in tournaments, but anyone who he has known from various Trivia and Quiz Bowl circuits, which tend to produce a lot of Jeopardy contestants.

So I doubt we'd see Jennings as host. Far too much potential for conflict there.

Two things:

1. I was shocked when James missed FJ. After that stunning comeback in Game 2 he was one FJ away from extending this match. When he missed it, I was deflated.

2. My understanding of game show rules is that hosts and contestants cannot have had any prior relationship. That would mean that if Ken were to take over as host, no one who he has previously known IRL could appear on the show. Not only would that eliminate a number of former champions from returning to compete in tournaments, but anyone who he has known from various Trivia and Quiz Bowl circuits, which tend to produce a lot of Jeopardy contestants.

So I doubt we'd see Jennings as host. Far too much potential for conflict there.

I could not believe Ken bet 0. I heard him say this AM that the second place strategy is often to bet low and count on the leader to miss. So he was counting on a low bet. But James had never bet low.

So you are telling me that since Ken cannot replace Alex, that I should. ;).

I could not believe Ken bet 0. I heard him say this AM that the second place strategy is often to bet low and count on the leader to miss. So he was counting on a low bet. But James had never bet low.

So you are telling me that since Ken cannot replace Alex, that I should. ;).

I don't think Ken's bet mattered at all. He was up by 30K from game 1, and James had 20K on him in round 2. James was going to bet enough to cover the 30K gap regardless. The only thing that mattered was if James answered right or wrong. There was no amount that Jennings could have wagered to cover James answering correctly, so betting anything at all was pointless.

And back on the road and back to the gang that couldn’t shoot straight. We have our two easiest road games this week. Better regroup quickly.

I think we’ve shown enough to know that next year could be special. They’re too young and inexperienced to win on the road but are holding strongly at home. Next year.
I wish I could be that optimistic. I'm not in the Fire Archie! camp by any means (yet), but I'm concerned he may not have "it", whatever "it" is. I'll need to see continued improvement this season, and see a better product on the court next season before being convinced he's the guy we've been looking for to get us back to consistent excellence.

I wish I could be that optimistic. I'm not in the Fire Archie! camp by any means (yet), but I'm concerned he may not have "it", whatever "it" is. I'll need to see continued improvement this season, and see a better product on the court next season before being convinced he's the guy we've been looking for to get us back to consistent excellence.
Let's face it, the team and the coaching looks great when they hit some outside shots and don't when they don't. The movement on offense is much better than last year. The defense, rebounding and turnovers are better each year too. I think the team is on the way to being very good.

Let's face it, the team and the coaching looks great when they hit some outside shots and don't when they don't. The movement on offense is much better than last year. The defense, rebounding and turnovers are better each year too. I think the team is on the way to being very good.
It all boils down to guard play and outside shooting. Both have shown flashes, but we still have a long way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT