ADVERTISEMENT

In important matters

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Age has caught up to Brad, he seems a step slow. Ken looks on top of his game. James is very good and not just a product of his betting strategy.

I am a bit surprised Brad struggles but I know my trivia memory speed has dropped over the years.

Reactions: Chester Fried
This is obviously true because I have no idea wtf you two are talking about. Give this aging dumb ass a clue, will ya?!
The three greatest Jeopardy players in history just started a made-for-TV tournament tonight that will probably also serve as a swan song for Alex Trebek. Everyone who follows Jeopardy figured Brad Rutter would be the favorite, but he...was not good. I mean, better than any of us would have been, but definitely a step slower than the younger guys.

Reactions: Morrison
The three greatest Jeopardy players in history just started a made-for-TV tournament tonight that will probably also serve as a swan song for Alex Trebek. Everyone who follows Jeopardy figured Brad Rutter would be the favorite, but he...was not good. I mean, better than any of us would have been, but definitely a step slower than the younger guys.

The categories were hard, real hard. And between the 3 they got almost every question. I think I can do ok on regular Jeopardy, and could win some nights. I would not have been at all competitive tonight. I am glad they made it hard.

Age has caught up to Brad, he seems a step slow. Ken looks on top of his game. James is very good and not just a product of his betting strategy.

I am a bit surprised Brad struggles but I know my trivia memory speed has dropped over the years.
I quit watching years ago, about the time I could no longer imagine myself doing any better than making a fool of myself on the show.

The categories were hard, real hard. And between the 3 they got almost every question. I think I can do ok on regular Jeopardy, and could win some nights. I would not have been at all competitive tonight. I am glad they made it hard.
I think I could count the answers I got right tonight between both games on my hands. Maybe one foot's worth of toes if I'm really generous to myself. They were hard questions.

When they finally got to the top of the Shakespeare category, I got it right and about punched the ceiling.

I got The Tempest, the rest were mysteries. I still do not know who some of those czars were. And I thought I would do well on chemists and only got Curie.

I was wrong, Ken is 4 years older than Brad.

Ken Jennings is 4 years older than Rutter per Wikipedia (45 v 41). That was surprising to me.

I like all 3 guys, but am pulling for Ken. However, I’d still bet on James. He didn’t get a Daily Double and still was there till the end. Ken needs to be more aggressive in his betting to pull this off.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Jeopardy James comes up big on night two. I like Ken, but love what James did for the game. I know some thought his big wins last year were boring, but I loved how he pushed the game to an extreme. He crushed the high game total and pushed it way above $100,000 multiple times. Brad was once again terrible tonight. About time he loses. Never liked that guy.

Jeopardy James comes up big on night two. I like Ken, but love what James did for the game. I know some thought his big wins last year were boring, but I loved how he pushed the game to an extreme. He crushed the high game total and pushed it way above $100,000 multiple times. Brad was once again terrible tonight. About time he loses. Never liked that guy.

I am surprised it took so many years for someone to cone up with James' strategy. My college friends and I started playing Jeopardy using the home games based on Art Fleming's version before Alex's version came around. We still get together on NYE and play. Betting it all is pro forma. I am sure thinking of it as cash in hand and not points makes it harder, but it always seemed obvious.

Brad certainly didn't fare much better last night. His role now simply seems to be as spoiler.

Between James and Ken, I have to say it's going to come down to (a) who hits the DD's and when, and (b) not botching FJ. Both are playing great. I'm not sure if these were filmed in a single long session, but if they were I'd give the edge to James for mental stamina.

Last edited:
Brad certainly didn't fare much better last night. His role now simply seems to be as spoiler.

Between James and Ken, I have to say it's going to come down to (a) who hits the DD's and when, and (b) not botching FJ. Both are playing great. I'm not sure if these were filed in a single long session, but if they were I'd give the edge to James for mental stamina.

I turned off the IU game at halftime to watch Jeopardy, it was clearly the correct choice. It is sad it has come to that, but IU basketball is far more frustrating than enjoyable.

James is a heck of a player. He is very fast on the buzzer as well. Watch them when they buzz in, Ken yanks the buzzer up as he buzzes, I wonder if that extra movement costs him the hundredth of a second that he needs.

Little did you know how heavily you’d need to drink to get through that game. Good Lord. They need to sell alcohol at SSAH stat.
That game sucked
I left just about when they started the comeback. They had just given up the umpteenth uncontested layup with 1 second on the shot clock. Got up and walked out.
I turned off the IU game at halftime to watch Jeopardy, it was clearly the correct choice. It is sad it has come to that, but IU basketball is far more frustrating than enjoyable.
I'm not screaming Fire Archie! yet, but I'm done defending him. I wish I knew more Xs & Os so I could pinpoint what it is exactly they're doing wrong, but they're bad. Simply bad.

I'm not screaming Fire Archie! yet, but I'm done defending him. I wish I knew more Xs & Os so I could pinpoint what it is exactly they're doing wrong, but they're bad. Simply bad.
They’re young and talented. Needs another year of development but I like the trend. Pounding it inside and shooting free throws with the occasional Phinisee and Green triple attempts should be a winning combo more often than not. Making the goddamned free throws is what’s costing us the games.

I am far from "Fire Archie", but whatever is happening isn't good and the buck stops with him. It has just been disappointing. We have some shooters coming in, assuming Jackson-Davis stays (and he will), we should be better. I just cannot believe Indiana doesn't have anyone that doesn't cause me to panic when it looks like they are about to take a 3. Or as Ranger points out, makes me wish we weren't going to the foul line.

I am far from "Fire Archie", but whatever is happening isn't good and the buck stops with him. It has just been disappointing. We have some shooters coming in, assuming Jackson-Davis stays (and he will), we should be better. I just cannot believe Indiana doesn't have anyone that doesn't cause me to panic when it looks like they are about to take a 3. Or as Ranger points out, makes me wish we weren't going to the foul line.
As far as I can tell, R. Thompson is our weak point. Every time he’s near a play I cringe. Green is mercurial and when he’s on we’re tough to beat. I love Brunk and J-D obviously.

X's & O's ala Crean offensive reset = "The Weave of NO Return"....."Trail of Tears"....."Shot Clock Musical Chairs".......whatever you choose to call that doe-see-doe on the perimeter. The major problem as others have mentioned here is of course, the lack of shooters. I have to wonder how in the world these guys "got over" on the court in hs without having the ability to knock down jumpers. GD bewildering! I watched clips of Damezi Anderson in hs and he shot lights out, yet now, he couldn't throw it in the ocean if he was standing in it. As Ranger commented, Green can go off during games, but can also be a turnover machine in others. And which Smith will we get each game? Brunk does play his but off! And I feel terrible for Derun Davis. A big guy like DD struggling to try and play on those damaged knees? Gotta be rough. Durahm plays as hard as anybody, but he, too, is not an outside threat. I'll continue to watch and I like Archie, but I hope I don't have to utter that sentence used by "Cletus" in "Hoosiers" speaking to coach Dale.... I'm trying hard to believe that you know what your doin' :eek:

Reactions: UncleMark
I left just about when they started the comeback. They had just given up the umpteenth uncontested layup with 1 second on the shot clock. Got up and walked out.
Are you kidding? I never leave when there’s still a chance at victory and rarely leave when there isn’t. There was obviously a chance last night. Actually, the way they played the last 10 minutes or so gives me more hope. They applied some pressure and stepped up the D to create turnovers and score in transition. They also had a lineup in the floor capable of getting it done. This team is capable of winning more than they lose the rest of the year. They need to apply the lessons learned at the end of this game to do it.

Last edited:

James is a heck of a player. He is very fast on the buzzer as well. Watch them when they buzz in, Ken yanks the buzzer up as he buzzes, I wonder if that extra movement costs him the hundredth of a second that he needs.
I DVR’d Jeopardy and watched it after the game. Modern technology and all . . .

They’re young and talented. Needs another year of development but I like the trend. Pounding it inside and shooting free throws with the occasional Phinisee and Green triple attempts should be a winning combo more often than not. Making the goddamned free throws is what’s costing us the games.
Concur.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Are you kidding? I never leave when there’s still a chance at victory and rarely leave when there isn’t. There was obviously a chance last night. Actually, the way they played the last 10 minutes or so gives me more hope. They applied some pressure and stepped I dup the D to create turnovers and score in transition. They also had a lineup in the floor capable of getting it done. This team is capable of winning more than they lose the rest of the year. They need to apply the lessons learned at the end of this game to do it.
I didn’t care if we had a chance of victory or not, which we obviously did. I was done watching us play like that against a really horrible team. I’m not sure what team you are watching that you think we have a chance to win more than we lose. I actually don’t think we will be favored in another game. We played the worst team, by far, in the conference, at home, they were short handed, and we barely pulled it out. We are bad. I hope you’re right , but I don’t think so.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Which players do you think have improved under Archie? My biggest concern is that I’m seeing zero player development. Devante, Justin, Rob, Deron? Trayce is saving us, but other than that, I’m not sure I really see a whole lot of talent there. I don’t think we have anyone coming in that is a knockdown shooter, which is what we’ve needed for two years now,

I didn’t care if we had a chance of victory or not, which we obviously did. I was done watching us play like that against a really horrible team. I’m not sure what team you are watching that you think we have a chance to win more than we lose. I actually don’t think we will be favored in another game. We played the worst team, by far, in the conference, at home, they were short handed, and we barely pulled it out. We are bad. I hope you’re right , but I don’t think so.
Uh . . . we won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT