ADVERTISEMENT

IMO, Kiss college football fall season goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDC has issued guidelines for reopening schools.

How are schools going to do this? I'll tell you, there is absolutely no way my kids have room in their schools for the desks to be 6 feet apart. Plus, when they ride the bus, there is always two to a seat.

This is gonna get interesting.

I agree with taking precautions with this outbreak but not shutting things down. Proper hygiene and staying home when sick along with being out in the sunshine and eating a healthy diet will go a long way to avoiding this virus.
Then how in the hell do you eat at a restaurant or go to a bar??? Yesterday I went to Boom Bozz and ate and drank. 3 days ago I got my haircut NOBODY wore a mask.

And I bet that at least 95% of the time there would be no negative repercussions. But what about the other 5%? Or 2.5? Is there a tipping point where there is a greater good?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I truly hope none of you guys get this

I've talked about my sister, who is 35 years old, go this. She was in the hospital, had no underlying conditions but was sent to the icu for about a week. She at one time had the flu, COVID and pneumonia. People that get COVID, because it attacks your lungs, come down with pneumonia quite easily I hear.

Anyway, she finally got cleared to go back to work last week because she's a nurse and they had to be sure she was fine and she said that she couldn't do anything. She said after a couple hours, she felt like she had run a marathon. She was so tired and out of breath that she had to take breaks every half a hour. This stuff, if you get it bad, will wipe you out for some time.

Obviously it's horrible when people die from the virus, but there are other effects as well. She is now worried that her lungs may be effected long term. It's been a week and because she doesn't want to let anyone down, she's on the go go go, but it's tearing her down. Her doc finally told her she's only allowed to work every other day for now, which I'm thankful for.

This is truly a nasty thing that we need to take with precautions.
Best wishes on a full recovery for your sister

No, I quit Cummins long ago.
Danc, I am assuming that you can recognize that there is potentially a difference between what is the greatest good for humanity and what is in your own best interest.

It would seem to me that the ONLY way to have games would be no fans, none of the usual stadium support staff, no tailgating permitted and everyone from officials to the team to the coaches, everyone in the stadium that day is tested before they are allowed in the stadium.

And all of that is only possible if the tests are VERY accurate in determining who carries the virus.

This is how quickly this situation is changing: it's been 9 days since this thread began & already the outlook for a season is, IMO, more murky & uncertain, in that I felt it was rather unlikely there would be a season 9 days ago, now it's...less unlikely, in my mind. In 9 days.

Reactions: DANC
Danc, I am assuming that you can recognize that there is potentially a difference between what is the greatest good for humanity and what is in your own best interest.
I decided you're not worth engaging in intelligent conversation some time ago.

Logic is lost on you, so I won't waste my time. Have a nice life.

How are schools going to do this? I'll tell you, there is absolutely no way my kids have room in their schools for the desks to be 6 feet apart. Plus, when they ride the bus, there is always two to a seat.

Homeschool...After that was released everyone is talking about home schooling. I would never, ever, put any of my kids through that bullshit!

This is how quickly this situation is changing: it's been 9 days since this thread began & already the outlook for a season is, IMO, more murky & uncertain, in that I felt it was rather unlikely there would be a season 9 days ago, now it's...less unlikely, in my mind. In 9 days.
I spoke with someone today who is close to Coach Allen. Coach says it’s 50-50 as of today we have football.

And what a surprise that a model would be that far off. It's almost like they their models aren't very accurate.....
Using a model involves assumptions, like assuming how many healthy people a sick one will infect on average. Maybe we act smart and that number is actually significantly less than we originally put into the model. So not as many die as were predicted. That's good. Unless we then say models are pointless and a lot of people start acting stupid. Then deaths will go up. That's bad.

I don't think we fully appreciate how lucky we are as a nation that the Feds put out the guidance and the states ordered shutdowns when they did. An additional 3 weeks would have cost so many more lives. We're an event culture. Sports, concerts, night life, etc. 3 more weeks would have gotten us into April, through March Madness & baseball opening day. Millions of people from different parts of the country would have gathered together at one time or another and the spread would've been that much worse.

I don't think we fully appreciate how lucky we are as a nation that the Feds put out the guidance and the states ordered shutdowns when they did. An additional 3 weeks would have cost so many more lives. We're an event culture. Sports, concerts, night life, etc. 3 more weeks would have gotten us into April, through March Madness & baseball opening day. Millions of people from different parts of the country would have gathered together at one time or another and the spread would've been that much worse.
I don't have a problem with the shutdown, per se. My issue has always been the fact that it has been open-ended and, once the 'curve' was flattened, which was the goal, local governments were/are loathe to lift the quaratines.

I can see canceling large events for a time. I can't see closing mom and pop shops while Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Wal-mart, etc., are allowed to stay open. Of course, lawyers offices are allowed to stay open, because they're deemed 'essential' - even though the damn courthouses are closed.

I can only hope that someone, somewhere, in the Federal and State governments, that a futur plan is being developed that is effective and fair. I can't see going through this for every virus that comes from China.

I don't have a problem with the shutdown, per se. My issue has always been the fact that it has been open-ended and, once the 'curve' was flattened, which was the goal, local governments were/are loathe to lift the quaratines.

I can see canceling large events for a time. I can't see closing mom and pop shops while Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Wal-mart, etc., are allowed to stay open. Of course, lawyers offices are allowed to stay open, because they're deemed 'essential' - even though the damn courthouses are closed.

I can only hope that someone, somewhere, in the Federal and State governments, that a futur plan is being developed that is effective and fair. I can't see going through this for every virus that comes from China.
Oh, I wasn't saying any of that to stake out a position really. I'm just thinking through the fact that I had a trip booked to be in Tampa for March Madness, hundreds of thousands of more would be packed into bars, and people travel all over the country for Opening Day. So whatever has been would have been worse if some of our biggest spring time events occurred as scheduled.

Oh, I wasn't saying any of that to stake out a position really. I'm just thinking through the fact that I had a trip booked to be in Tampa for March Madness, hundreds of thousands of more would be packed into bars, and people travel all over the country for Opening Day. So whatever has been would have been worse if some of our biggest spring time events occurred as scheduled.
I'm agreeing with you on that.

It's almost like the CDC isnt the end all be all. Basically, they are morons.

Reactions: DANC
Oh, really? do tell. What was the other side saying? So sick of you dolts. morons. the lot of ya.
The other side? PLEASE! I'm so friggin' sick to death of BOTH sides. "left" & "right". More like "shit" & "show". My entire life it's been a political train wreck that only runs faster off the rails every election. Neither side has room to talk abut a DAMN thing. I don't understand how people support either one with a straight face. We need a new political party in this country SO badly.

Last edited:
In the history of this country, we have never quarantined healthy people. We have not eliminated the first amendment rights of assembly and religion. Nowhere in the United States constitution, and specifically the 14th Amendment which guarantees those rights to all citizens regardless of what state they live in, are those rights sacrificed for a "pandemic." So far, Covid -19 looks like a repeat in terms of severity, of the 1957-58 Asian Flu when the nations economy was NOT shut down. Nor in the much, much, worse Spanish Flu of 1917-18 was the economy shut down. I think we have forgotten that there is a risk in living and, eventually we will all die of something. If someone is so fearful of this virus, then they can self quarantine, wear their mask or whatever. But the rest of us should have the opportunity to go on with our lives. Since when do we live in a nanny state that guarantees life? There should be college football this fall and people should be allowed to attend games if they want. Other folks that feel threatened should stat home.

In the history of this country, we have never quarantined healthy people. We have not eliminated the first amendment rights of assembly and religion. Nowhere in the United States constitution, and specifically the 14th Amendment which guarantees those rights to all citizens regardless of what state they live in, are those rights sacrificed for a "pandemic." So far, Covid -19 looks like a repeat in terms of severity, of the 1957-58 Asian Flu when the nations economy was NOT shut down. Nor in the much, much, worse Spanish Flu of 1917-18 was the economy shut down. I think we have forgotten that there is a risk in living and, eventually we will all die of something. If someone is so fearful of this virus, then they can self quarantine, wear their mask or whatever. But the rest of us should have the opportunity to go on with our lives. Since when do we live in a nanny state that guarantees life? There should be college football this fall and people should be allowed to attend games if they want. Other folks that feel threatened should stat home.

You have the right to be irresponsible but you don’t have the right to endanger others. It is as simple as that.

Reactions: muubell and IU73
You have the right to be irresponsible but you don’t have the right to endanger others. It is as simple as that.
If you're afraid, then don't go out. The death rate for this, unless you're very old and compromised with other problems is very, very small (0.0025%). Oh, and by the way, you don't have a right to take away my personal freedoms for a virus which is rapidly going away.to protect you from your own irrational fears. Even if there are 100,000 deaths, we have a population of 320,000,000, do the math.

Or how unlucky we are that someone dawdled away weeks reassuring the stock market when he should have been ramping up our preparedness.
You realize that what you just said is completely false. Who would have done better - democrats saying what was done was xenophobia and uncalled for? You also realize that the first line responsibility for public health is local? You also realize that many, many deaths were attributed to orders such as the New York State Public Health Department requiring nursing homes to take Covid-19 patients in effect murdering the most vulnerable?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
You realize Drs were told to hide it when it first came to the states. Then when it couldn't be hidden any longer, Liar in Chief said it was no big deal and would be gone in a few weeks.

Liar in Chief also fired the Pandemic team. I guess those people wouldn't have helped with having a faster, more cohesive response.

Hope you aren't injecting yourself with disinfectant or taking hydroxychloroquine. Medical advice from Liar in Chief isn't exactly advised.

Reactions: IU73 and Bowlmania
Your argument would actually be a bit stronger if you were actually being quarantined. You are being inconvenienced.

p.s. Everyone else is also being inconvenienced.

Liar in Chief said it was no big deal and would be gone in a few weeks.
  • "By April . . . it miraculously goes away." - 2/10/20
  • "We're very close to a vaccine." - 2/25/20
  • "The fifteen cases within a couple of days will be down close to zero." - 2/26/20
  • "At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases, with 22 deaths. Think about that!" -3/9/20
  • "And taking early intense action we have seen dramatically fewer cases in the United States than are now present in Europe." -3/11/20
What a crock.

Reactions: IU73
You realize Drs were told to hide it when it first came to the states. Then when it couldn't be hidden any longer, Liar in Chief said it was no big deal and would be gone in a few weeks.

Liar in Chief also fired the Pandemic team. I guess those people wouldn't have helped with having a faster, more cohesive response.

Hope you aren't injecting yourself with disinfectant or taking hydroxychloroquine. Medical advice from Liar in Chief isn't exactly advised.
Congrats. I've rarely seen such a brainless post on here.

82hoosier said:

Your argument would actually be a bit stronger if you were actually being quarantined. You are being inconvenienced.

p.s. Everyone else is also being inconvenienced.

Oops. Looks like 82hoosier got hisself confused.

Get your IDs mixed up?

• "By April . . . it miraculously goes away." - 2/10/20
  • "We're very close to a vaccine." - 2/25/20
  • "The fifteen cases within a couple of days will be down close to zero." - 2/26/20
  • "At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases, with 22 deaths. Think about that!" -3/9/20
  • "And taking early intense action we have seen dramatically fewer cases in the United States than are now present in Europe." -3/11/20
What a crock.
Jan 29, President Trump bans travel from China

Jan 30, Dems call Trump a Xenophobe

82hoosier said:

Oops. Looks like 82hoosier got hisself confused.

Get your IDs mixed up?
Yep. That was supposed to response to your Braveheart “you can’t take away our freedom” post.

Yep. That was supposed to response to your Braveheart “you can’t take away our freedom” post.
Sure. Sure you were.

You are a troll who got confused about which ID you were using.

You weren't replying to my post.

Bunk seating - every other chair - 6 feet in the air!

Here they are considering cutting class size in half by having half go every other day, and still using the remote computer system used to finish this year to teach the half at home.

Better ideas may come along.

Poor snowflake, adults said you should do some things for the good of us all that inconvenienced you. They didn’t take any rights away from you but in the spirit of not yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater they required us to act wisely for a while.
You claim this isn’t serious even after 100,000 and climbing died, and you don’t say you’d behave any differently if a million had died. Would you?

Reactions: IU73
Poor snowflake, adults said you should do some things for the good of us all that inconvenienced you. They didn’t take any rights away from you but in the spirit of not yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater they required us to act wisely for a while.
You claim this isn’t serious even after 100,000 and climbing died, and you don’t say you’d behave any differently if a million had died. Would you?
But a million won't die of it. You're letting your fears, and political persuasion, get the better of you.

Quit acting like many more than 100,000 die every year of heart disease, cancer, suicide, auto accidents, etc. It's part of living life as a human being. Start acting like one.

Bunk seating - every other chair - 6 feet in the air!

Here they are considering cutting class size in half by having half go every other day, and still using the remote computer system used to finish this year to teach the half at home.

Better ideas may come along.
What a cluster.....

But a million won't die of it. You're letting your fears, and political persuasion, get the better of you.

Quit acting like many more than 100,000 die every year of heart disease, cancer, suicide, auto accidents, etc. It's part of living life as a human being. Start acting like one.
It’s on track to be easily the US third cause of death and the only one that could have been cut to a half or third if our president had done his job. And now his supporters are making it worse by pretending it doesn’t matter. If it were a Democrat in office you’d be howling like stuck pigs no matter how good a job he’d done of preparation. Our bad luck to have one who hardly prepared at all.

My whole thing on the virus is...it is what it is. It’s a brand new virus. It’s gonna kill a ton of people. What would you prefer? Lock your country away like New Zealand? Live in makeshift fences being tracked 24/7 like China? Being barred from leaving your home like in the UK? These countries are going to spread it like wildfire once they do eventually loosen up. I’m actually grateful we’re loosening up and letting people live a little. My dang grandparents are in the vulnerable population. I haven’t seen them since Christmas. I don’t plan on seeing them. But then I found out they went to the Golden Corral the day it opened. I guess my point is let people decide how much they value their life. Then I know the argument is “protect the health care workers!” and I get that. The entire exercise was flatten the curve, don’t overwhelm the hospitals. That happened. I don’t live in NYC. I live in rural America. 100% of our areas deaths have occurred in nursing homes. I’m starting to know people who get the virus and recover. There was a 30 year old here who spent 30 days in the hospital. He finally got to go home. I get it. It’s real. But it’s not going away. But staying home isn’t a real option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT