ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois spending 25 million on their coach

Wow, is there anything dumber than killing your ability to negotiate by saying you have 25 million to blow? No wonder they've sucked since Self left.
Illinois has no choice. They are going to have to advertise free money to clean up that mess.

Reactions: BGunn
Illinois has no choice. They are going to have to advertise free money to clean up that mess.
Just an FYI, but that mess includes a Top Ten recruiting class from last year. But as everyone knows, recruiting is only part of the equation. A good coach, the right complementary players, team chemistry and more all play a role.

Just an FYI, but that mess includes a Top Ten recruiting class from last year. But as everyone knows, recruiting is only part of the equation. A good coach, the right complementary players, team chemistry and more all play a role.
I realize there is a top 10 class there, but having to deal with the entire Illinois fan base has cost Illinois for years. At the first sign of adversity they turn into a crowd of baby Izzo's. Not many humans are willing to put up with the crap they spew.

I'm still putting my guess for Illinois with Scott Drew.

Midwestern guy, completely rebuilt Baylor and gets top recruits to go there which is remarkable....and probably under the table, which makes him a perfect coach to recruit Chicago.

That's 80% of the battle with the orange crush, recruit Chicago.

They want a recruiting coach and Drew is a perfect fit being from Valpo.

Keats would worry me also.

They've got no shot at Marshall and frankly he's more an Indiana kind of coach.

Reactions: pdtkkg
Fred makes two calls....Billy Donovan, then Greg Marshall.....BD is the one name that Marshall can understand is the first call....after that....As Jack Palance said to Joker in "Batman"...."Jack....You've always been my No.1 guy".....

Not sure about you guys, but if I was the Illinois AD I'd sign Bruce Weber to a 12 year / $2m deal. Then i'd pocket the extra million and pat myself on the back.

You're welcome BT.

Weber would be an upgrade! Seriously, I always thought the guy was a decent bench coach and pretty good guy. He was proven right in not getting along with Sampson or Crean. Obviously from the glove speech, not a great motivator, and not a great offensive mind or recruiter, but his teams always play hard and defend.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
wish we were them

I could see them going after Eric Musselman at Nevada. I kinda forgot about that guy, but he has NBA coaching experience (not great records) and he's done well in his two seasons at Nevada. They finished 4th in conference last season and won the little CBI tourney. This year they won the conference regular season and conference tournament title and are going to the NCAAs. He's 52, but I think he could be at a school like Illinois for a good 10+ years.

Wow, is there anything dumber than killing your ability to negotiate by saying you have 25 million to blow? No wonder they've sucked since Self left.

I guess I get what you're saying ... but we were playing for a National Championship over 2 years after Self left, and we were good before he got there. The idea that our program's success is entirely Bill Self is ridiculous.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I heard that it is a done deal that ILL is getting Marshall

From a reliable source, or are you pulling my leg?

Our site is saying that we definitely have the ear of our top prospects this time around, but nothing is definitive yet.

I think you've heard wrong.

Why would Marshall turn down many other good opportunities the past few years and now take the job at Illinois instead?

*Sick of being overlooked by the committee.
*Ready for the next step. The B1G is a premiere conference.
*Top 10 recruiting class.
*Newly renovated stadium.
*UI is a basketball school (the guy listened to Alabama's pitch).
*5 million reasons per year.
*What better job is going to open up soon, aside from you guys?

Fred makes two calls....Billy Donovan, then Greg Marshall.....BD is the one name that Marshall can understand is the first call....after that....As Jack Palance said to Joker in "Batman"...."Jack....You've always been my No.1 guy".....
First, will Fred even make a move? Someone probably has to fire Glass to get Crean out. Who's gonna do that?

Will Wade - VCU , Kevin Keats - UNC Wilmington, Mitch Henderson - Princeton - great young coaches for whom the IU job might be attractive. (First we gotta get Missouri to take Crean off our hands). We do not have a program to compete for the top coaches around - other than Steve Alford for whom IU is a destination job. Make a pass at Archie Miller, but one wonders if IU is more attractive to him than Dayton. Its not what we think is attractive, its what a potential candidate thinks in balancing the pros and cons.

I think you've heard wrong.

Why would Marshall turn down many other good opportunities the past few years and now take the job at Illinois instead?
We will see where he lands! Wherever it is, I hope the team and fans are thankful for him. I am sure he doesn't want to go to a place that thinks they are elite, is hoping to get Donovan, Sean Miller, Brad Stevens but would accept him if they won't come. Who would want that job? Is the weather good? Would the family like it? Is it an upgrade?

I guess I get what you're saying ... but we were playing for a National Championship over 2 years after Self left, and we were good before he got there. The idea that our program's success is entirely Bill Self is ridiculous.

Yes it is, which is probably why he didn't say that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT