ADVERTISEMENT

Get rid of Allen when it makes sense

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
It’s going to suck enduring another year or two with Allen at IU. At least it most likely will.

But firing him now handcuffs your ability to set the program up for long term success. 25 mill is too much for a program like IU to absorb AND then land and put together a high level upper half B10 staff.

I say you start the process now. Hire a “football GM”. Pay him a couple million a year. Seriously, look for an ex NFL coach, a retired high level college HC, whatever. Then also find the money to increase the coaching staff budget by 3-4 million. Basically give the new GM the power to force Allen to use the money. Make sure this GM is “popular” in the coaching ranks. Someone that would attract talent.

Re Allocate an extra 8-10 million a year from the B10 money to this staffing initiative.

At worst…Allen’s teams still suck the next couple years and you still have to fire him. Your efforts to boost the pay and change the approach will have been noticed in the coaching world though. You’ll increase your interested pool of candidates by a lot. It’ll dramatically increase your chances of making a good hire next time. And in the end, it’s still cheaper than firing him and gambling on some cheap low level coach that had a couple good years.

Basically, Dolson needs to work the next couple years to make IU football about bigger and better things than Tom Allen.

It’s going to suck enduring another year or two with Allen at IU. At least it most likely will.

But firing him now handcuffs your ability to set the program up for long term success. 25 mill is too much for a program like IU to absorb AND then land and put together a high level upper half B10 staff.

I say you start the process now. Hire a “football GM”. Pay him a couple million a year. Seriously, look for an ex NFL coach, a retired high level college HC, whatever. Then also find the money to increase the coaching staff budget by 3-4 million. Basically give the new GM the power to force Allen to use the money. Make sure this GM is “popular” in the coaching ranks. Someone that would attract talent.

Re Allocate an extra 8-10 million a year from the B10 money to this staffing initiative.

At worst…Allen’s teams still suck the next couple years and you still have to fire him. Your efforts to boost the pay and change the approach will have been noticed in the coaching world though. You’ll increase your interested pool of candidates by a lot. It’ll dramatically increase your chances of making a good hire next time. And in the end, it’s still cheaper than firing him and gambling on some cheap low level coach that had a couple good years.

Basically, Dolson needs to work the next couple years to make IU football about bigger and better things than Tom Allen.
I like the out of the box thinking... Doubt a future coach would want to come into a situation where he has an extra layer of oversight (unless you could clearly show he was helping)... That kind of thinking is solidly in the area of what we need however...

Reactions: vesuvius13
I like the out of the box thinking... Doubt a future coach would want to come into a situation where he has an extra layer of oversight (unless you could clearly show he was helping)... That kind of thinking is solidly in the area of what we need however...
His job would likely “end” when we hired the next coach. And that could be very open during the next hiring process.

The other distinct possibility is this role would elevate the program, attract good position coaches, and put Allen back in a position where he could succeed like he did in 19 and 20.

Either way, you’re showing the college football world you care. And hopefully making Bloomington attractive for transfers and talented young coaches.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Basically, this approach sounds like we’d be bringing in a person to do Dolson’s job. Essentially, the AD serves as the GM. Most schools have a Director of Football Operations but that role serves as an administrator who organizes things like recruiting visits.
Don’t doubt we need something similar but it’s a coverup for Dolson’s deficiency.

Basically, this approach sounds like we’d be bringing in a person to do Dolson’s job. Essentially, the AD serves as the GM. Most schools have a Director of Football Operations but that role serves as an administrator who organizes things like recruiting visits.
Don’t doubt we need something similar but it’s a coverup for Dolson’s deficiency.
That’s one way to look at it.

Good leaders recognize their blind spots though. And they hire good people to cover them. Dolson, it appears has a football blind spot. This would show me a lot about how good of a leader and AD he’ll end up being. And it would be further evidence that he cares about our sports programs being good. He proved he cares about bball when he orchestrated the Archie firing.

It doesn’t have to be exactly what I laid out, obviously. But he needs to do SOMETHING at the end of this season if we keep playing horribly and finish 3-9.

We paid for it in basketball with Matta. I think Woodson was more equipped to be a HC than Allen. In other words we did it for a pro to college coach but not a high school to college????

Cut your losses with Tom Allen, and run now!
There are 3 things Dolson needs to do with regards to IU football.

1. Keep improving the facilities that matter to the players. (Practice facility, locker rooms, weight rooms, nutrition centers, etc...)
2. Foster and improve IU's football NIL account size.
3. Establish higher standards for the coaching staff.

All 3 of those things take vision, energy, focus...and $$$$.

Allen, as horrible as he has looked the last couple years, has shown his teams can be successful when he has good coordinators. If Dolson were to re-establish the pool of money for coordinators and assistant coaches, at a MUCH higher level, people that matter would notice. I'm becoming more and more convinced its coordinators that win these days anyways. We've seen that, Clemson is starting to see it, LSU in recent memory won a natty off their coordinators, even Saban relies heavily on proven, very successful coordinators. Why would we expect IU to be any different?

1. Who are the best coordinators on both sides of the ball at any/all non P5 and then FCS schools.
2. Cross reference the best candidates for style, age, career trajectory, etc... and try to put together the best 2 candidates.
3. Make hiring them happen.

That gives Allen, and IU, the best chance to succeed in the next two years. If he doesn't, fire him...and hire the best entire coaching staff from non P5 and FCS schools.

Last edited:

Agree that IU probably doesn’t have the funds to buy out Allen AND hire a proven replacement. I also fear that 2 more seasons like 2021 and 2022 will do even more to make the job unattractive—at almost any salary—than firing Allen now would do.

I don’t envy the position Dolson’s now in, and I have to assume he’s REALLY hoping Woody’s team has a great season.

That’s one way to look at it.

Good leaders recognize their blind spots though. And they hire good people to cover them. Dolson, it appears has a football blind spot. This would show me a lot about how good of a leader and AD he’ll end up being. And it would be further evidence that he cares about our sports programs being good. He proved he cares about bball when he orchestrated the Archie firing.

It doesn’t have to be exactly what I laid out, obviously. But he needs to do SOMETHING at the end of this season if we keep playing horribly and finish 3-9.
3-9 for next year May be generous.
I have not seen the 2023 schedule but I can easily see us 0 for the big ten and maybe 2-1 against non conf opponents.
Hopefully I am too much glass half empty, but I expect a portal exit stampede and our recruit class is currently (I think) tied for last.

Reactions: kmathum
3-9 for next year May be generous.
I have not seen the 2023 schedule but I can easily see us 0 for the big ten and maybe 2-1 against non conf opponents.
Hopefully I am too much glass half empty, but I expect a portal exit stampede and our recruit class is currently (I think) tied for last.
I believe we play two patsies and Louisville non conference. LVille played their way into the Top25 near years end. Not sure if they're young and up and coming or what...but it'll certainly be a tough game.

Gonna have to wait and see how the Transfer Portal activity effects us...IN and OUT. I wouldn't be shocked, at all, to see headlines about McCullough and/or Lucas entering the portal, at any time.

If the NET effect of the portal is Par or worse, I agree with you, 2-10 or 3-9 would be likely. If we get a good QB, maybe some good OL and DL, I could see us taking a step forward. Even with the same staff.

That brought in Thad Matta to do his job for basketball.

I believe we play two patsies and Louisville non conference. LVille played their way into the Top25 near years end. Not sure if they're young and up and coming or what...but it'll certainly be a tough game.

Gonna have to wait and see how the Transfer Portal activity effects us...IN and OUT. I wouldn't be shocked, at all, to see headlines about McCullough and/or Lucas entering the portal, at any time.

If the NET effect of the portal is Par or worse, I agree with you, 2-10 or 3-9 would be likely. If we get a good QB, maybe some good OL and DL, I could see us taking a step forward. Even with the same staff.
Nice response, thanks. I hope you are correct because my appraisal has us as awful. Time will tell.
I do not know how to run an athletic department, but other schools are good at both football and basketball. What are we doing poorly?

The saddest part is this would take counting on IU/Dolson to care enough about Football and I have no confidence that they do care enough. Nothing stop IU from taking these steps but I am sure they won't and will be shocked if they do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT