ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois public school system is broken

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Illinois’s Shocking Report Card

The Land of Lincoln is failing its children and covering it up.

By The Editorial Board - WSJ

Oct. 4, 2022 6:53 pm ET

No one thought Illinois schools were a shining beacon in the education landscape, but we didn’t know how truly awful so many of them are. A new report by Wirepoints using the state’s data shows that an epidemic of indifferent instruction and social promotion has left children unable to perform at even the most basic educational level.

Statewide, in 2019, 36% of all third grade students could read at grade level. That’s an F, and that’s the good news. That number drops to 27% for Hispanic students and 22% for black students statewide. In certain public school systems, the numbers plummet to single digits. In Decatur, 2% of black third-graders are reading at grade level and only 1% are doing math at grade level.

We aren’t often speechless, but the extent to which that performance is betraying a generation of schoolchildren is hard to put into words. Third grade children are eight years old, full of potential with minds like sponges to absorb what they are taught. Third grade is the year that children need to achieve a level of reading fluency that will prepare them to tackle more complex tasks in upper elementary grades that require comprehension.

A child who can’t read in third grade can’t do word problems in fourth or science experiments in fifth. Promoting Decatur children to the fourth grade when 99% are below grade level in math condemns them to future failure. By 11th grade, 5% of Decatur’s students are reading at grade level and 4% are on par in math. Why shouldn’t every single adult presiding over the Decatur schools be fired?

Wirepoints shows that in 2019 7% of black third-graders in Rockford were reading at grade level, 11% of Hispanic third-graders in Elgin and 8% of black third-graders in Peoria. Chicago’s 30% of black third-graders reading at grade level almost seems a triumph by comparison. Statewide, the system records a 30 percentage-point achievement gap between black students and white students. If you want to discuss “systemic racism,” start here, yet black Illinois politicians protect this indefensible system.

The 2019 numbers are pre-Covid, so pocket any objections that the failure to educate students was a function of pandemic closures. Covid no doubt made things worse, but the rot is endemic.

Parents may not grasp how bad things are when students are promoted from grade to grade even as their education is left behind. In Decatur, 97.3% of teachers were rated “excellent” or “proficient” in 2017, according to the Illinois State Board of Education. In 2018 that number was 99.7%. This year 100% of Chicago teachers were evaluated as excellent or proficient. The students are failing but the teachers are great? That contradiction shows the system is corrupt as well as incompetent.

Family and social dysfunction play some role in this scandal. But the overriding problem is school governance and the monopoly power of the teachers unions. The Chicago Teachers Union has walked out four times in the last seven years (2016, 2019, 2021, 2022), reaping higher salaries or benefits each time. Wirepoints says Illinois spends $16,660 per student annually, the eighth-highest state spending per student in the country.

Teachers get raises, schools get more money, and children are shuffled through until its time for the adults to collect a pension. Families that can get their children out are leaving in droves. Over the past two decades, 120,000 students have left the Chicago Public Schools. Wouldn’t you?

No one thought Illinois schools were a shining beacon in the education landscape, but we didn’t know how truly awful so many of them are. A new report by Wirepoints using the state’s data shows that an epidemic of indifferent instruction and social promotion has left children unable to perform at even the most basic educational level.

Statewide, in 2019, 36% of all third grade students could read at grade level. That’s an F, and that’s the good news. That number drops to 27% for Hispanic students and 22% for black students statewide. In certain public school systems, the numbers plummet to single digits. In Decatur, 2% of black third-graders are reading at grade level and only 1% are doing math at grade level.

We aren’t often speechless, but the extent to which that performance is betraying a generation of schoolchildren is hard to put into words. Third grade children are eight years old, full of potential with minds like sponges to absorb what they are taught. Third grade is the year that children need to achieve a level of reading fluency that will prepare them to tackle more complex tasks in upper elementary grades that require comprehension.

A child who can’t read in third grade can’t do word problems in fourth or science experiments in fifth. Promoting Decatur children to the fourth grade when 99% are below grade level in math condemns them to future failure. By 11th grade, 5% of Decatur’s students are reading at grade level and 4% are on par in math. Why shouldn’t every single adult presiding over the Decatur schools be fired?

Wirepoints shows that in 2019 7% of black third-graders in Rockford were reading at grade level, 11% of Hispanic third-graders in Elgin and 8% of black third-graders in Peoria. Chicago’s 30% of black third-graders reading at grade level almost seems a triumph by comparison. Statewide, the system records a 30 percentage-point achievement gap between black students and white students. If you want to discuss “systemic racism,” start here, yet black Illinois politicians protect this indefensible system.

The 2019 numbers are pre-Covid, so pocket any objections that the failure to educate students was a function of pandemic closures. Covid no doubt made things worse, but the rot is endemic.

Parents may not grasp how bad things are when students are promoted from grade to grade even as their education is left behind. In Decatur, 97.3% of teachers were rated “excellent” or “proficient” in 2017, according to the Illinois State Board of Education. In 2018 that number was 99.7%. This year 100% of Chicago teachers were evaluated as excellent or proficient. The students are failing but the teachers are great? That contradiction shows the system is corrupt as well as incompetent.

Family and social dysfunction play some role in this scandal. But the overriding problem is school governance and the monopoly power of the teachers unions. The Chicago Teachers Union has walked out four times in the last seven years (2016, 2019, 2021, 2022), reaping higher salaries or benefits each time. Wirepoints says Illinois spends $16,660 per student annually, the eighth-highest state spending per student in the country.

Teachers get raises, schools get more money, and children are shuffled through until its time for the adults to collect a pension. Families that can get their children out are leaving in droves. Over the past two decades, 120,000 students have left the Chicago Public Schools. Wouldn’t you?
Nobody I know who lives in Chicago sends their kids to a public school. They say it is simply not an option even for those who do not have alot of money. But the Chicago Public teachers are very vey well paid and produce horrible results. Go figure the union controls everything in Chicago. They also kept the kids out of in person learning longer than almost any other city during COVID. In fact they were still trying to fight going back in the classroom last year still. I do feel bad for those who cannot afford private schools and have to send their kids to the cesspool know as the CPS system.

Reactions: vesuvius13

That’s terrible.

Public education on many large cities is an absolute disgrace. We keep yacking about health care crisis and climate crisis. The real existential crisis is the sad state of education . The trends are in the wrong direction. Teachers unions are a substantial factor. Teachers unions find comfort with Democrats. There is a cause and effect between Democrat policies and bad education.

That’s terrible.

Public education on many large cities is an absolute disgrace. We keep yacking about health care crisis and climate crisis. The real existential crisis is the sad state of education . The trends are in the wrong direction. Teachers unions are a substantial factor. Teachers unions find comfort with Democrats. There is a cause and effect between Democrat policies and bad education.
Curious: what are Democratic education policies and what are Republican ones?

Reactions: hoot1 and larsIU
Longer analysis from an admittedly right-wing organization, but it does a good job highlighting some of the insanity in the Illinois system:

In 2018 that number was 99.7%. This year 100% of Chicago teachers were evaluated as excellent or proficient.
Woof. Those are banana republic elections numbers amount of bullshit. What, did they only send the survey to teachers? I have to assume the methodology on this was pretty awful.

Family and social dysfunction play some role in this scandal.
"Some"?

I would say 50% which is a far cry from "some".

================

Any idea if the general shitty trend is universal in urban vs. rural? I left out suburban b/c people choose to live in suburbs and are generally much wealthier. I think many of use think what works in Carmel, IN or Naperville, IL (no offense just the first Chicago suburb that jumped in my head) would work in Warren township. I don't think we'll ever be real honest about why it won't.

Woof. Those are banana republic elections numbers amount of bullshit. What, did they only send the survey to teachers? I have to assume the methodology on this was pretty awful.

"Some"?

I would say 50% which is a far cry from "some".

================

Any idea if the general shitty trend is universal in urban vs. rural? I left out suburban b/c people choose to live in suburbs and are generally much wealthier. I think many of use think what works in Carmel, IN or Naperville, IL (no offense just the first Chicago suburb that jumped in my head) would work in Warren township. I don't think we'll ever be real honest about why it won't.
It seems universal here in Illinois.

Maybe what explains this is self-selection? Maybe those families who want a good school system, move to a good school system more often in Illinois?

It seems 34% nationally only read at grade level. Thirty Four Percent

This may also be part of the issue. Free time Reading

Here is another national study of all schools (public and private). Study
—As you would expect, socioeconomic conditions seemed to be the primary driver around performance. Also, if I’m reading the chart in the study correctly (ELL), the discrepancy between students having to learn in English if it is their secondary language significantly impacts performance.

CPS is a full of problems. However, Decatur, Rockford, Elgin, etc are all far away from Chicago, but all share similar socioeconomic challenges.

What I find interesting is the article failed to highlight the 15 public high schools in Illinois that are rated in the top 400 here.

vs surrounding states counts of high schools in the Top 400: Indiana (6), Michigan (6), Wisconsin (6).

I would feel pretty confident that very few if any of the schools identified across those 4 states are located outside of affluent communities.

Nobody I know who lives in Chicago sends their kids to a public school. They say it is simply not an option even for those who do not have alot of money. But the Chicago Public teachers are very vey well paid and produce horrible results. Go figure the union controls everything in Chicago. They also kept the kids out of in person learning longer than almost any other city during COVID. In fact they were still trying to fight going back in the classroom last year still. I do feel bad for those who cannot afford private schools and have to send their kids to the cesspool know as the CPS system.
Chicago is fine. Stop peddling lies.

What I find interesting is the article failed to highlight the 15 public high schools in Illinois that are rated in the top 400 here.

vs surrounding states counts of high schools in the Top 400: Indiana (6), Michigan (6), Wisconsin (6).

Carmel is down around 400 on the list but has OVER 5000 STUDENTS. The only other school with anywhere near that kind of enrollment on that list are in Manhattan, Chicago or LA.

So, yeah, Money (which means a much more stable socio economic situation).

It seems universal here in Illinois.

Maybe what explains this is self-selection? Maybe those families who want a good school system, move to a good school system more often in Illinois?
I suspect you're right on the self selection part based on my recent (last 10 years) history of moving from the west side of Indy to Carmel right aobut the time my kid went to kindergarten.

That’s terrible.

They also stopped teaching cursive in schools. Bring cursive back, and test scores will be thru the roof!

It seems 34% nationally only read at grade level. Thirty Four Percent

This may also be part of the issue. Free time Reading

Here is another national study of all schools (public and private). Study
—As you would expect, socioeconomic conditions seemed to be the primary driver around performance. Also, if I’m reading the chart in the study correctly (ELL), the discrepancy between students having to learn in English if it is their secondary language significantly impacts performance.

CPS is a full of problems. However, Decatur, Rockford, Elgin, etc are all far away from Chicago, but all share similar socioeconomic challenges.

I would feel pretty confident that very few if any of the schools identified across those 4 states are located outside of affluent communities.

Affluent communities and good test scores highlight the importance of students who are smart and motivated.

In college I had a long talk with my favorite professor who was matriculating to another university. The move was to promote his career. He foresaw better students at the other university who would be easier to teach along with more of them excelling upon graduation.

His advice to me was to transfer to a college with students who weren't competitive. "You may not learn more, but your grade point average will improve," was his comment said with a chuckle. Had to decide whether a higher GPA would offset having graduated from a less prestigious school.

Yep, when it comes to test scores and school rankings the students are important.

By the way, firmly believe we need education and training for adults beyond high school and college as learning should be a lifelong task. This would also make up for not attending good schools along with not having put forth a good effort when young. We all don't mature at the same pace.

That’s terrible.

Decatur, Rockford, Peoria are not large cities.... but they have a common thread to many towns/cities in Illinois. Very rampant segregation, to a much higher degree than most states in the country.

I'm not sure there is anything not broken about the state of Illinois. It's really a disastrously run place.

Last edited:
They also stopped teaching cursive in schools. Bring cursive back, and test scores will be thru the roof!
Ha. My daughter goes to a Catholic school and they had to bring an 81 year old teacher out of retirement (she only retired in 2018 and was a Geography teacher her last 20 years) to fill an ELA slot. The first assignment was due in cursive. Half her class said they didn’t know how. She simply said get over it and learn it off the internet. 😂

We transitioned from pencil to fountain pens. Not ball point, fountain pens.

No, we didn't have inkwells. These had a small, removable cartridge/tube of ink.
Bic. Had to be black or blue though. I ended up hating it because I’m left handed. Left pinky was blue or black until gel pens came along.

Curious: what are Democratic education policies and what are Republican ones?
Republicans generally favor school choices and alternatives. Democrats (those who are controlled by union money) resist that. Although not always. Denver had more than a decade of scool choice and school autonomy. I give senator Bennett credit for much of that when he was superintendent. He of course is a Democrat. The teacher groups always opposed that and finally regained control of the board one cycle back. That was Democrat v. Democrat. The teacher unions are clearly opposed to alternatives and that opposition finds its way into Democrats in public office.

In the last couple of years we have seen developing tension between educrats and parents. Once again, partisan politics is involved. That also goes back to teachers unions as they seek to acquire more and more power, influence, and control over all aspects of education.

When I was in law school and then took the bar exam you had to know cursive or you would likely flunk. Most people couldn’t print fast enough to write an exam.

Nowadays, when all you do is black out choices on a. multiple choice exam, you don’t need cursive. Same for tapping a keyboard. You don’t need to know how to think or express yourself either.

2 parent homes are the ticket
I don’t think it’s particularly two parent homes as much as it is stability, especially as it relates to the absence of crime and a middle class socioeconomic situation.

Now a location with the absence of crime and a solid middle to upper class might very well have a lot of two parents households. But I’m not sure Manhattan, or the areas of Chicago or LA noted necessarily have the two parent household numbers Carmel does. Maybe they do. Which leads me to believe that a solid socio economic situation, which can be mutually exclusive of the two parent home, might be as important.

When I was in law school and then took the bar exam you had to know cursive or you would likely flunk. Most people couldn’t print fast enough to write an exam.

Nowadays, when all you do is black out choices on a. multiple choice exam, you don’t need cursive. Same for tapping a keyboard. You don’t need to know how to think or express yourself either.
What I appreciated most about essay exams, and especially classes where the prof wrote the book, was that I could miss significant portions of the actual classes and still get a B.

I don’t think it’s particularly two parent homes as much as it is stability, especially as it relates to the absence of crime and a middle class socioeconomic situation.

Now a location with the absence of crime and a solid middle to upper class might very well have a lot of two parents households. But I’m not sure Manhattan, or the areas of Chicago or LA noted necessarily have the two parent household numbers Carmel does. Maybe they do. Which leads me to believe that a solid socio economic situation, which can be mutually exclusive of the two parent home, might be as important.
dysfunctional homes and social instability is a product an uneducated society. The third world agrarian cultures midnight be able to function with poor educations, but we can’t. We will be living with the consequences of today‘s poor educations for generations.

It definitely matters at the “middle” class level. If either parent has FU money then it’s of no consequence.

Tiger Woods children will be fine

That’s terrible.

He said Illinois, not just Chicago. Most counties in Illinois are republican.

Republicans generally favor school choices and alternatives. Democrats (those who are controlled by union money) resist that. Although not always. Denver had more than a decade of scool choice and school autonomy. I give senator Bennett credit for much of that when he was superintendent. He of course is a Democrat. The teacher groups always opposed that and finally regained control of the board one cycle back. That was Democrat v. Democrat. The teacher unions are clearly opposed to alternatives and that opposition finds its way into Democrats in public office.

In the last couple of years we have seen developing tension between educrats and parents. Once again, partisan politics is involved. That also goes back to teachers unions as they seek to acquire more and more power, influence, and control over all aspects of education.

Ban all public sector unions. They are a scourge of epic proportions. The Feds actually have weak unions compared to the disaster that is the state level unions.

Ban all public sector unions. They are a scourge of epic proportions. The Feds actually have weak unions compared to the disaster that is the state level unions.
Public sector unions are a means to rip off public sector employees. Most all workers in the public sector are protected by due process, liberty, free speech and other constitutional rights. This is the law, not unions. Private sector workers can only get these protections through employer benevolence or collective bargaining.

Public sector unions are a means to rip off public sector employees. Most all workers in the public sector are protected by due process, liberty, free speech and other constitutional rights. This is the law, not unions. Private sector workers can only get these protections through employer benevolence or collective bargaining.

Public sector unions defy common sense reasoning as to the purpose of unions.

As most of our horrible existing public policies that have royally fkd up our country, they happened almost by accident, without much forethought of long- term implications
(like employer based health insurance). And then status-quo and growing constituencies took over.

Read FDR's opinion of public sector unions.

That’s terrible.

We need school vouchers so parents can send their children to the school of their choice. This way competition will cause schools to get their acts together because they have to compete for kids. It's a good idea whose time has come.

As most of our horrible existing public policies that have royally fkd up our country, they happened almost by accident, without much forethought of long- term implications
(like employer based health insurance). And then status-quo and growing constituencies took over.

PertinentLavishAardwolf-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Univee2

Are we saying that there is no way a government agency would ever skimp on safety equipment, training, pay, employee rights? Is that your argument that it never can nor has happened?

Carmel is down around 400 on the list but has OVER 5000 STUDENTS. The only other school with anywhere near that kind of enrollment on that list are in Manhattan, Chicago or LA.

So, yeah, Money (which means a much more stable socio economic situation).
Carmel has 5,000 students because of sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT