ADVERTISEMENT

If you haven't watched the Hoosier women play you should

15-15 to start the last game. Including 6 threes. They have great fundamentals and seem to totally understand the game. Stark contrast to what we usually see from Woody’s crew.

15-15 to start the last game. Including 6 threes. They have great fundamentals and seem to totally understand the game. Stark contrast to what we usually see from Woody’s crew.
And how many years did it take to develop a winning team?

I love Coach Moren, but she took over a program that was not a losing program but a solid program and she was able to improve it every year.

Try getting off the couch. There must be something more entertaining and healthy in life other then cycling thru 16 hours of television in search of something uplifting to heal the basketball soul.

The last two games have been a clinic for the women's team enjoyed the show at the Hall against Michigan and yesterday against Nebraska on TV.

I love Coach Moren and the program she has built over the last 10 years, but you would castrate Woody if our men's team turned the ball over like the women's team does on a routine basis. Fortunately, their offense and defense can overcome that deficiency in most women's games.

I love Coach Moren, but she took over a program that was not a losing program but a solid program and she was able to improve it every year.
Disagree. Curt Miller looked like he was building some momentum in a program that had been stagnant. When he left, it looked bad. She resurrected a program that has been pretty bad since the 90s

The last two games have been a clinic for the women's team enjoyed the show at the Hall against Michigan and yesterday against Nebraska on TV.

I love Coach Moren and the program she has built over the last 10 years, but you would castrate Woody if our men's team turned the ball over like the women's team does on a routine basis. Fortunately, their offense and defense can overcome that deficiency in most women's games.

The Women's team averages 12.5 TOs per game v. the Men's team at 12.2, so essentially no difference, especially when you consider that the ladies push the ball up court so well compared to the men.

The Women's per game averages v. the Men's puts the Men's team to shame.

The ladies average 81.3 PPG v. 75.5 for the men, while giving up only 58.6....an average victory of 22.7. The men give up 73.7, just 1.8 pts less then they score.

The starkest difference is in 3 point shooting. The women average 8.07 3s made and 20.4 taken (.395) per game v. 4.87 made and 14.3 taken (.340) for the men. They also average more assists, 19.9 v. 15.4.

Foul shooting (.693 women, .683 men) and overall FG% (.521 women, .490 men) are pretty close. I haven't looked for it, but I suspect that the 2 point % shooting would be nearly identical.

Defensively, the women hold their opponents to .370 shooting overall, and .273 on 3s, while the men's #s are .416 and .342.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuski

I think you may be mistaken.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Great to have a good women's hoops program. Didn't have a good one when I attended. Always wondered why. Good for the entire school. Go Hoosiers!

I had 0 interest until Ali Patberg came along, as she was from Columbus. I have enjoyed watching her, Berger and, especially, Holmes. I laugh when Holmes makes that left-handed scoop shot.....who in the hell else even shoots that, men or women? I see a left handed move like that occasionally from the men, but on drives, never off the pivot as she does.

Frankly, the ladies' games are generally much less stressful than the men's, and I presently enjoy them more these days. After 50 + years of watching the men's program, never thought I'd say that.

Still not a fan of the women's game generally. I feel like it would be such a better game if the basket was at 9 feet or so, and the court was 20' shorter. While, you're at it, make soccer goals 5 feet wider and 1 foot higher.

I had 0 interest until Ali Patberg came along, as she was from Columbus. I have enjoyed watching her, Berger and, especially, Holmes. I laugh when Holmes makes that left-handed scoop shot.....who in the hell else even shoots that, men or women? I see a left handed move like that occasionally from the men, but on drives, never off the pivot as she does.

Frankly, the ladies' games are generally much less stressful than the men's, and I presently enjoy them more these days. After 50 + years of watching the men's program, never thought I'd say that.

Still not a fan of the women's game generally. I feel like it would be such a better game if the basket was at 9 feet or so, and the court was 20' shorter. While, you're at it, make soccer goals 5 feet wider and 1 foot higher.
The ladies are just well-coached and schooled and know how to play. Also seem like really good people too. The women's game is a little sloppier, but I don't think it makes sense to make more changes to the goal or court. They score at a reasonable clip, often as high or higher than the men, so the smaller ball seems to have adjusted.

Concerning the last paragraph above re differences in the mens and womens games--

The net in men's college volleyball is 7 1/2 inches higher than for females, and the ball is app. 2" less in circumference.

In Men's basketball, the basketball is bigger, but the rim height is the same. Don't see why, as baskets can easily be adjusted downward, even at the HS level. Presently, I see many more uncontested layups missed by women, just because it's more of a shot for them. That's a bad look. The game would also benefit from a shorter court, but obviously that would cause problems.

I agree that the ladies (on both sides) seem to be better people........

Concerning the last paragraph above re differences in the mens and womens games--

The net in men's college volleyball is 7 1/2 inches higher than for females, and the ball is app. 2" less in circumference.

In Men's basketball, the basketball is bigger, but the rim height is the same. Don't see why, as baskets can easily be adjusted downward, even at the HS level. Presently, I see many more uncontested layups missed by women, just because it's more of a shot for them. That's a bad look. The game would also benefit from a shorter court, but obviously that would cause problems.

I agree that the ladies (on both sides) seem to be better people........
I just don't think it's a big enough deal to make a change. Every step up in age/skills I'm sure improves the % of shots. IE pros make more FTs and layups than college, who makes more than HS, who make more than freshmen teams, who make more than middle school. The women are already scoring in the same range as men, and our women shoot as well or better. They do miss a few more layups and the overall game is a bit sloppier I think, but I just don't think it's enough to try and implement a change, especially now. The women today are way WAY better than the women's game was 30 years ago and I'd expect they'll continue to improve at a faster rate then men. Plus, I think a lot of women would be offended to lower the goal at this point.

I have some pretty sweet reserved seats and parking available for the WBB games vs Penn State, Minnesota and Michigan State at very reasonable prices - up to 8 together for a couple of the games. If anyone wants to attend a game or 2 shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
The ladies are just well-coached and schooled and know how to play. Also seem like really good people too. The women's game is a little sloppier, but I don't think it makes sense to make more changes to the goal or court. They score at a reasonable clip, often as high or higher than the men, so the smaller ball seems to have adjusted.
She can be pretty RMK like in her demand for concentration, execution, etc. last season, she broke her finger reacting to a lazy / careless Grace Berger pass late in the 4th quarter of a game that was already way out of hand. It's not the first time I've seen her get really irritated if they stop executing with a huge lead.

Reactions: kmathum
She can be pretty RMK like in her demand for concentration, execution, etc. last season, she broke her finger reacting to a lazy / careless Grace Berger pass late in the 4th quarter of a game that was already way out of hand. It's not the first time I've seen her get really irritated if they stop executing with a huge lead.
Maybe she can come in and run a practice for the guys on rebounding.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and Al Bino
Maybe she can come in and run a practice for the guys on rebounding.
Sadly, rebounding has been IUWBB's weakest link. She could definitely help in terms of defending against high ball screens, not over helping, and closing out on shooters.

That's why she's good. Unfortunately I fear our men's coach has forgotten many of those same lessons from his old coach.

That's why she's good. Unfortunately I fear our men's coach has forgotten many of those same lessons from his old coach.
Could be. Kinda tough to tell though because the men haven't had a big lead to blow against anyone this season.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
*eyeroll* ...

And the dumb rears it's ignorant head. Not every post has to be about Woodson's coaching. This is a thread about the woman's team, they're doing well.

It has nothing o do with the mens team or Woodson. You and others constantly bleating your Torrette's like ignorance is nothing but annoying and only makes you look more foolish than you already do...

Try getting off the couch. There must be something more entertaining and healthy in life other then cycling thru 16 hours of television in search of something uplifting to heal the basketball soul.
Getting off the couch is an option? Damn, I moved the fridge closer.

The Women's team averages 12.5 TOs per game v. the Men's team at 12.2, so essentially no difference, especially when you consider that the ladies push the ball up court so well compared to the men.

The Women's per game averages v. the Men's puts the Men's team to shame.

The ladies average 81.3 PPG v. 75.5 for the men, while giving up only 58.6....an average victory of 22.7. The men give up 73.7, just 1.8 pts less then they score.

The starkest difference is in 3 point shooting. The women average 8.07 3s made and 20.4 taken (.395) per game v. 4.87 made and 14.3 taken (.340) for the men. They also average more assists, 19.9 v. 15.4.

Foul shooting (.693 women, .683 men) and overall FG% (.521 women, .490 men) are pretty close. I haven't looked for it, but I suspect that the 2 point % shooting would be nearly identical.

Defensively, the women hold their opponents to .370 shooting overall, and .273 on 3s, while the men's #s are .416 and .342.
Thanks for all the stats. Likely difficult to compare men’s and women’s game. Different player heights while the rim height remains the same. Ladies ball is smaller. 4 quarters instead of two halves may be a difference to coaches.
I watch men and women but do prefer the women. Maybe I am a closet stalker. Good thing I am an airplane flight away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT