ADVERTISEMENT

If Trump wins, what kind of negative inflation numbers are you expecting.

The ambiguity of Oppenheimer was one of the points. He was a complicated man and his stances changed. One is left wondering if his stances changed because his thinking changed or to protect his legacy (the "prosecutor" does a great job of ramming that home during his "interrogation" in the one scene).
The ambiguity of Oppenheimer was one of the points. He was a complicated man and his stances changed. One is left wondering if his stances changed because his thinking changed or to protect his legacy (the "prosecutor" does a great job of ramming that home during his "interrogation" in the one scene).
I started flowers moon the other day. I stopped after a half hour. Too much. I like documentaries at this point better. Tho I did enjoy Oppenheimer

Hell, I'm lucky if I get to the theater once a year. And I'm pretty sure my tastes are different than most - I'm told by friends I'm way too picky.
My wife and I have been married 42 years and haven't gone to a movie since we married. 😅

Or he could have just been an asshole who chased women and didn't really have a moral core. It wouldn't make him much different from many others.

I'll have to watch it again, but I still don't know how he was picked to be the one to lead the project. I guess he knew enough to talk to all the different groups and get them to work together, but he himself wasn't the brains behind the operation, as far as I could tell. Like I said, I'll have to watch it again.

I started flowers moon the other day. I stopped after a half hour. Too much. I like documentaries at this point better. Tho I did enjoy Oppenheimer
I just watched Flowers a couple weeks ago. Talk about depressing....

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Or he could have just been an asshole who chased women and didn't really have a moral core. It wouldn't make him much different from many others.

I'll have to watch it again, but I still don't know how he was picked to be the one to lead the project. I guess he knew enough to talk to all the different groups and get them to work together, but he himself wasn't the brains behind the operation, as far as I could tell. Like I said, I'll have to watch it again.
He was the guy who brought QM to the US. Before then, it was a European thing. Also, although I'm not sure they went into it in much detail, he was published in nuclear physics. By the time of the MP, he was not a young buck contributor anymore (and physics was considered a young man's game at the time, might still be) but was very well known.

The moral code thing is more about the morality of building that bomb and the horror it might cause the world. I think Truman got it right, though: it was Truman who had to carry the moral burden of using the A-bombs, not Oppenheimer. Take Oppie, out, the bomb still gets made. But everyone will remember and debate Truman's decision.

I, do, agree with your take, though, that he was an asshole and didn't seem to care about many people other than himself.

Reactions: DANC

He was born too early. Today he could have run for President.

My wife and I have been married 42 years and haven't gone to a movie since we married. 😅

We haven't been in ages. Wife has back and neck and hip issues and can't sit in one position for extended periods.

With streaming now, there's almost no reason to go to a movie if you've got a family considering the price of tickets, outside of getting the actual experience of the theater.

Manchester by the Sea was the movie that just about killed our desire to ever go to a theater again. Got some good reviews, I believe, but it was god-awful.

I thought my bride was going to go back and strangle the projectionist, if they still even have them now and if they’re even called that if they do have someone filling that type of position.

• Haha

Jen Popcorn GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
He was the guy who brought QM to the US. Before then, it was a European thing. Also, although I'm not sure they went into it in much detail, he was published in nuclear physics. By the time of the MP, he was not a young buck contributor anymore (and physics was considered a young man's game at the time, might still be) but was very well known.

The moral code thing is more about the morality of building that bomb and the horror it might cause the world. I think Truman got it right, though: it was Truman who had to carry the moral burden of using the A-bombs, not Oppenheimer. Take Oppie, out, the bomb still gets made. But everyone will remember and debate Truman's decision.

I, do, agree with your take, though, that he was an asshole and didn't seem to care about many people other than himself.
I was just using that term 'asshole' as a possibility, not that I really think that.

But I agree he was pretty self-centered.

Manchester by the Sea was the movie that just about killed our desire to ever go to a theater again. Got some good reviews, I believe, but it was god-awful.

I thought my bride was going to go back and strangle the projectionist, if they still even have them now and if they’re even called that if they do have someone filling that type of position.
I've only walked out of one movie and it was some Denzel Washington movie in the 90s that was so gawd-awful, I just couldn't stand it. And I really like Denzel.

Liked it. Glad I saw it in the theater. Thought the performances were top notch. Nolan is my favorite director of his generation, probably of the 21st century.

All in all, I think they gave Oppenheimer too much of a pass as a human being (didn't mention his forcing himself on a woman when younger, for example, although he said he had "problems" to Florence Pugh), but they kept him as ambiguous as you can for a protagonist in a major motion picture (ditto Paul Atreides in Dune, by the way).

I watched it a few weeks ago at home, streaming on Peacock. Now wish I had seen it in IMAX. Though a 3 hour movie is a lot more comfortable at home when you can pause for a break.

I thought it was really good. One of the best movies I've seen in a few years.

I also go to the movie theater maybe twice a year and that's usually kids movies.

do you think he can get food and basic goods prices to say 2016 levels? will wages continue to increase as prices drop?
It's frankly unbelievable how little understanding some people have about the economy. First, presidents have very little impact on the economy. But to the extent that they do, Obama helped repair the economy after the 2008 recession (Under GW Bush), and Trump reaped the benefit. Under Trump, the economy began to crash in 2020, mostly because of the pandemic, and Biden inherited the damage. Under Biden, the economy has come a long way back, but he gets zero credit for it. Finally, do you know what reversing inflation is? It's called deflation, and it leads to recession and maybe even depression. The is NO reason to believe Trump can improve the economy with all the international chaos going on - wars, climate change, etc. He would be an absolute disaster, mark my words.

Oh come on now.... You're remembering the Drive-In movies that you went to and didn't have any idea what movie they had just shown when you left. 🤣
I wish. All the drive-ins in Northern Indiana closed by the mid 80s, so I missed those. And making out in regular theater seats back in the day was uncomfortable as hell. Those kids who I spied on looked really uncomfortable!

I wish. All the drive-ins in Northern Indiana closed by the mid 80s, so I missed those. And making out in regular theater seats back in the day was uncomfortable as hell. Those kids who I spied on looked really uncomfortable!

We still have one about 15 minutes from my house.

Reactions: BradStevens
We still have one about 15 minutes from my house.

Starlite Drive-In opens this week. 👍

We try and hit it 2-3 times a year...roll one of the convertibles out there old school. Best popcorn in Monroe County. Combo that with smuggled Sav Blanc or Crown, and fun is to be had by all.

We rolled out there with like 10 SUV's and 30+ Swiftie's and their MILF's for the Taylor Swift concert movie last Fall. Think I polished a handle of Crown by myself, which made it bearable. :D

The speakers in those drive-ins were horrible. Later, they went to broadcast over car radios, but by then they were on the way out.

My parents would take us and put blankets in the back seat and we kids were asleep by the time the movie started.

I do remember taking a bunch of girls at IU to an X-rated drive-in west of Bloomington. No hanky-panky, unfortunately, for me, but it was interesting their reactions. We left after the golden shower scene..... grossed even me out.

In our local regular theater, the back two rows were the territory for the hot and heavy. If you sat back there, for girls, their reputation was ruined. lol

The speakers in those drive-ins were horrible. Later, they went to broadcast over car radios, but by then they were on the way out.

My parents would take us and put blankets in the back seat and we kids were asleep by the time the movie started.

I do remember taking a bunch of girls at IU to an X-rated drive-in west of Bloomington. No hanky-panky, unfortunately, for me, but it was interesting their reactions. We left after the golden shower scene..... grossed even me out.

In our local regular theater, the back two rows were the territory for the hot and heavy. If you sat back there, for girls, their reputation was ruined. lol

Ripped off one of those outdoor movie speakers by departing without putting the speaker back.

Next day a friend told me about "an idiot" he saw at the drive in who backed out of his spot with the speaker attached. He knew it was me and wanted to hear my reaction.

I responded by saying, "It could happen to anybody, even a cautious and responsible person like me".

Running your car the whole time to play the sound over your car radio is a pain in the ass, so these days I bring a commercial battery charger/jump, and then plug a big Bose portable speaker into it. Use my old IPod to grab the radio frequency, then pipe it into the Bose.

Millisecond of lag, unfortunately, but saves you from a dead battery, or having to run your car all night.

do you think he can get food and basic goods prices to say 2016 levels? will wages continue to increase as prices drop?
Deflation is seldom likely … lower fuel costs driving transportation costs down should slow the increases maybe back to 2%.

Utility rates would drop as rate payers are entitled to enjoy the lower fuel costs. Your basic wingmill and sfarm will be less competitive as the fixed costs of the installations are fixed.

Simple to solve.

Declare a state of emergency. Give everyone free Ozempic. People lose weight, lose food cravings, eat less. Boom! Prices drop.

You're welcome.
And increased demand for bikinis. Win-win.

We haven't been in ages. Wife has back and neck and hip issues and can't sit in one position for extended periods.
In the past twenty years, I've been to the theater twice. My family all got together to see one of the Star Wars flicks, and I took my mom as a gift to see the Fred Rogers movie with Tom Hanks. Both times was worth it, I guess? Because the movies were good? But the experience was still not worth taking out a second mortgage for. I'll continue to stream from now on.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT