ADVERTISEMENT

If America had more political parties

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
If America was like Europe and had 6 parties, which part would you belong to? The NY Times has 20 questions and sorts you into your part. This came up in an article about Andrew Yang trying to start a 3rd party (and I can't wait for details as I am a prime candidate to join Don Quixote).

It placed me in the New Liberal Party:

The New Liberal Party is the professional-class establishment wing of the Democratic Party. Members are cosmopolitan in their social and racial views but more pro-business and more likely to see the wealthy as innovators.​
Its potential leaders include Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Eric Garcetti and Beto O’Rourke. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 26 percent of the electorate.​
there is no center party, the article notes very few Americans have centrist views across the various issues. But the closest to the center are the New Liberal from the left and Growth and Opportunity on the right.

If America was like Europe and had 6 parties, which part would you belong to? The NY Times has 20 questions and sorts you into your part. This came up in an article about Andrew Yang trying to start a 3rd party (and I can't wait for details as I am a prime candidate to join Don Quixote).

The New Liberal Party is the professional-class establishment wing of the Democratic Party. Members are cosmopolitan in their social and racial views but more pro-business and more likely to see the wealthy as innovators.​
Its potential leaders include Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Eric Garcetti and Beto O’Rourke. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 26 percent of the electorate.​
there is no center party, the article notes very few Americans have centrist views across the various issues. But the closest to the center are the New Liberal from the left and Growth and Opportunity on the right.
Growth and opportunity party. i forgot to cut and paste definition. sorry

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Growth and opportunity party. i forgot to cut and paste definition. sorry
Here is the definition, it appears to be the RINO party according to many on the right:

The Growth and Opportunity Party is the socially moderate, pro-business wing of the Republican Party. It is the heir to the old moderate “Rockefeller Republican,” the East Coast wing of the G.O.P.​
Its potential leaders include Larry Hogan, Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, John Kasich and Michael Bloomberg. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 14 percent of the electorate.​

Can't do the quiz or read article...even incognito wasn't working.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Me too.

Somehow I doubt that the answers to the questions were the same, though. But it got us to the same place in terms of result.

Imagine that . . . both of us growing up in the same town and being the products of the same school system at relatively close to the same time . . . .

Me too.

Somehow I doubt that the answers to the questions were the same, though. But it got us to the same place in terms of result.

Imagine that . . . both of us growing up in the same town and being the products of the same school system at relatively close to the same time . . . .
i think the converse is fascinating sope. that people can grow up in the same place, receive the same education, and end up political opposites

One thing you have to remember, everyone considers themselves a centrist. Centrist in the sense of being normal. Even people who are completely f*****g crazy don’t sit around and say to themselves “man, my political views are completely f*****g crazy!”.

Is the work VPN utilizing a consistent IP address (and taking into consideration the number of articles others have read)? Or is it identifying as your IP address?

I dunno. I am not an IT guy . . . (obligatory @UncleMark ).
Beats me. Luckily it's the NY Times and it doesn't really move the needle for me, so I'm not going to give it a another thought.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Seems to me more political parties would eventually take us to a parliamentarian system.

i think the converse is fascinating sope. that people can grow up in the same place, receive the same education, and end up political opposites

I think a parent's political views would likely have a decent impact on where the kids land on the political spectrum.

Where I grew up, it's pretty much half and half (based on mayor switching somewhat regularly from 1 party to the other).

Few from the same town grow up in the same place, and fewer still receive the same education, even if they went to the same schools. God help anybody who got the same algebra education I did . . . and that's nobody's fault but mine.

The NYT may use your IP address to identify whether you've used your allotment of free articles.
I've had some success on a phone going to Settings, then Safari, then Clear History and Website Data.

This seems to make some web sites forget how many free stories I've already read.

I've had some success on a phone going to Settings, then Safari, then Clear History and Website Data.

This seems to make some web sites forget how many free stories I've already read.
Stuff, if you are looking for free handouts you are prone toward being a big government liberal according to my conservative friends here at the Cooler. ;)

I spend many extra hours with my wife at the supermarket as she uses her hard earned coupons. Is she a liberal seeking a semi free handout, or a smart capitalist, or what ?

Reactions: RBB89 and UncleMark
Stuff, if you are looking for free handouts you are prone toward being a big government liberal according to my conservative friends here at the Cooler. ;)

I spend many extra hours with my wife at the supermarket as she uses her hard earned coupons. Is she a liberal seeking a semi free handout, or a smart capitalist, or what ?
It's the other guy's system and rules (i.e. the paywall and coupon company). All we're doing is playing by their rules, and they're both probably screwing us by data-mining. I vote for capitalist.

I've learned to quietly acquiesce with coupon shopping, even though I have to bite my tongue about the time-costs it requires. There is something admirable though about the diligence and commitment to the idea that every nickle adds-up!

I'd love to take the quiz but I can't get around the subscription.

My guess is I line up with Marv since Pete was the candidate that connected and still connects the most with me in regards to political outlooks.

I've always considered myself a moderate dem who strongly believes in capitalism but believes there an important symbiotic relationship between the public and private sectors (they both check each other pretty effectively. The private sector will aggressively innovate. The public sector has the bulk volume to keep the private sector honest along with being the last line of defense to make sure EVERYONE can get basic needs covered).

Would never want to hinder innovation but also believe that it's not up to the private sector to be responsible to take care of universal basic needs (ie healthcare).

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Since many couldn't get in, here are the other 4 parties in their quiz, the other are detailed above:

Progressive Party

The Progressive Party is focused on equity and racial justice, with a strong vision of inclusive social democracy. Its strongest support comes from politically engaged, highly educated younger people, especially women.

Its potential leaders include Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Elizabeth Warren or Julián Castro. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 14 percent of the electorate.

American Labor Party

The American Labor Party is focused on economic populism, with an appeal to working-class Democrats who don’t have college degrees and don’t follow politics closely. It is more moderate on social and cultural issues compared with the Progressive Party, but also more diverse, appealing to many working-class Hispanics.

Its potential leaders include Sherrod Brown, Jon Tester and Tim Ryan. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 12 percent of the electorate.

Patriot Party

The Patriot Party is the party of Donald Trump’s 2016 primary campaign: the coalition of the small town, white working-class Americans who feel left behind by globalism and condescended to by cosmopolitanism. It is economically populist and strongly anti-immigration. Its strongest support among lower-income conservatives comes from exurban America.

Its potential leaders include Josh Hawley, Tom Cotton and Tucker Carlson. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 14 percent of the electorate.

Christian Conservative Party

The Christian Conservative Party is focused centrally on issues of religious liberty and morality, with very limited government. It will find stronger support among the most politically engaged and affluent, especially men.

Its potential leaders include Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott and Mike Pompeo. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 20 percent of the electorate.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Since many couldn't get in, here are the other 4 parties in their quiz, the other are detailed above:

Progressive Party

The Progressive Party is focused on equity and racial justice, with a strong vision of inclusive social democracy. Its strongest support comes from politically engaged, highly educated younger people, especially women.

Its potential leaders include Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Elizabeth Warren or Julián Castro. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 14 percent of the electorate.

American Labor Party

The American Labor Party is focused on economic populism, with an appeal to working-class Democrats who don’t have college degrees and don’t follow politics closely. It is more moderate on social and cultural issues compared with the Progressive Party, but also more diverse, appealing to many working-class Hispanics.

Its potential leaders include Sherrod Brown, Jon Tester and Tim Ryan. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 12 percent of the electorate.

Patriot Party

The Patriot Party is the party of Donald Trump’s 2016 primary campaign: the coalition of the small town, white working-class Americans who feel left behind by globalism and condescended to by cosmopolitanism. It is economically populist and strongly anti-immigration. Its strongest support among lower-income conservatives comes from exurban America.

Its potential leaders include Josh Hawley, Tom Cotton and Tucker Carlson. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 14 percent of the electorate.

The Christian Conservative Party is focused centrally on issues of religious liberty and morality, with very limited government. It will find stronger support among the most politically engaged and affluent, especially men.

Its potential leaders include Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott and Mike Pompeo. Based on data from the Democracy Fund’s VOTER survey, this party would be the best fit for about 20 percent of the electorate.
I took this quiz twice, several weeks apart. Once I got Progressive, and once I got New Liberal. But both times, I was squarely in the middle of the triangle formed by the three liberal parties.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
we aren't Europe.

like Facebook and Google, Wall St is going to buy controlling interest in any party that raises to the level of being a threat.

like Facebook and Google, they'll do it because they can. 100% chance. (thanks SCOTUS).

the algorithm never sleeps.

Last edited:
Saw where Andrew Yang broke up with the Democratic Party and registered as an Independent . . . wants to start something called the "Forward Party". Says he can be more honest about politics by not being tied to either dominant political party.

Progressive Party

American Labor Party

Patriot Party

The suggestion that Christian Conservative leaders include Pence and Haley is laughable...

Truly laughable....!!

Saw where Andrew Yang broke up with the Democratic Party and registered as an Independent . . . wants to start something called the "Forward Party". Says he can be more honest about politics by not being tied to either dominant political party.

I wish him well. I like tilting at windmills, I might join him.

I took this quiz twice, several weeks apart. Once I got Progressive, and once I got New Liberal. But both times, I was squarely in the middle of the triangle formed by the three liberal parties.
I didn't take the quiz (couldn't), but reading the party's descriptions, I would probably fall between a few different groups depending on how I felt that particular day or depending upon whatever topic was at the forefront of my mind that day.

One thing I think you would see with the multi party system is that you would have to move to a parliamentary system in order for it to work. What would happen with these parties is that in order to get things done, they would have to ally with other groups. I think you would eventually end up back at two parties because of that.

I didn't take the quiz (couldn't), but reading the party's descriptions, I would probably fall between a few different groups depending on how I felt that particular day or depending upon whatever topic was at the forefront of my mind that day.

One thing I think you would see with the multi party system is that you would have to move to a parliamentary system in order for it to work. What would happen with these parties is that in order to get things done, they would have to ally with other groups. I think you would eventually end up back at two parties because of that.
Major coalitions wouldn't work?

Craze, think many of us think the same way as per your following observation....

.. would probably fall between a few different groups depending on how I felt that particular day or depending upon whatever topic was at the forefront of my mind that day.

Unfortunately, with only two parties many, if not most of us, don't think about issues and simply go with the position of one of the two parties.

Major coalitions wouldn't work?
They would. They would work so well that I think the major coalitions would eventually just morph into what is effectively a left and right party.

Take the two right parties. Trump and Christian Party. Both of those would probably be economically moderate to slightly right and both of them are likely to be fairly socially conservative. One out of tradition and the other out of religious conviction. Voting for one or the other is likely to end up at the same place legislatively. When you look at those the only people that would really have a hard time would be the economic right and socially I don't care people. It goes back to that scatter graph in the other thread I posted. To me that graph has maybe 3 distinct parties on it that would be able to garner enough votes to support a political party. The lower left quadrant that would be "Progressives", the upper left quadrant that would be what I would say are old school Democrats, and then another party that you would probably say is the old school, Nixonian, GOP. Socially conservative and right leaning economically but more centrist in those economic views. Without social issues the current GOP leadership would be DOA in this political environment IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT