ADVERTISEMENT

I was considering hiring the IU basketball team to walk my dog

Imndzone

Junior
Apr 5, 2002
until I realized they can't hold onto a lead.

But seriously, I have never had such high hopes for a Hoosier team since Kelvin Sampson left and been so disappointed with the results. They have had the lead on so many teams only to fall apart at the end. When I see them winning at halftime, I have no confidence in them to win the game.

Hoping to win 3 of the next four and then a good performance in the Big Ten tournament or no NCAA once again. (I know - posting the obvious - but just needed to get it off my chest)

But seriously, I have never had such high hopes for a Hoosier team since Kelvin Sampson left and been so disappointed with the results. They have had the lead on so many teams only to fall apart at the end. When I see them winning at halftime, I have no confidence in them to win the game.

Hoping to win 3 of the next four and then a good performance in the Big Ten tournament or no NCAA once again. (I know - posting the obvious - but just needed to get it off my chest)
2012/2013 was probably the most disappointed I have been in a team as long as I can remember. I just looked at that schedule and they lost to wisky twice that year also. Plus, htf did that team have 7 loses? Oh yeah, the coach.

We were not supposed to have high hopes at all for this team I am being told. In fact I am told nobody should have ever expected this team to make the NCAA period. In fact the program was left in a complete mess and people like you and me are fools for even giving a thought even for a brief second that this team could make the NCAA. That is the current narrative being thrown around bys some so I am thinking the NIT is going to be considered a success. I just gotta set my sights way lower in the future. Maybe NIT next year and possibly NCAA by year four.

• Haha
Reactions: mk24

They would probably lose your Dog in a Snow Bank. It is difficult to play with one hand to handle the ball and shoot while the other is up around your neck trying to perform the Heimlich Manuver.

Reactions: Hoosierific
just some food for thought along this topic.....Iowa lost big Garza and Wieskamp last year- options 1 and 2 in their offense. And yet they are going to win 20+ games this yr, their net was 19 last night, they will finish higher than us in the B1G. They are a lock for the tourney now. Losing Garza and Wieskamp is comparable to IU losing TJD and Race after this year. What are the chances we have that kind of season next year? (ie better than what we'll wind up with this year)

I think B1G POY should come down to Murray vs J Davis (sorry Kofi).

We were not supposed to have high hopes at all for this team I am being told. In fact I am told nobody should have ever expected this team to make the NCAA period. In fact the program was left in a complete mess and people like you and me are fools for even giving a thought even for a brief second that this team could make the NCAA. That is the current narrative being thrown around bys some so I am thinking the NIT is going to be considered a success. I just gotta set my sights way lower in the future. Maybe NIT next year and possibly NCAA by year four.
Nobody has said any of that.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Nobody has said any of that.
In his defense I have said some of that, I admitted openly that most, including me, started with higher hopes until we realized our roster was actually worse than the one we had last year. Specifically speaking mostly about Kopp and Stewart being significantly worse than Franklin and Durham.

I am of course still disappointed but I do think if Woodson makes (or would have made) the tournament with this roster, it would have been quite the accomplishment. This is of course with the benefit of hindsight.

I still love the type of players Woodson is recruiting and am overall still confident that he will ultimately get the job done at IU.

In his defense I have said some of that, I admitted openly that most, including me, started with higher hopes until we realized our roster was actually worse than the one we had last year. Specifically speaking mostly about Kopp and Stewart being significantly worse than Franklin and Durham.

I am of course still disappointed but I do think if Woodson makes (or would have made) the tournament with this roster, it would have been quite the accomplishment. This is of course with the benefit of hindsight.

I still love the type of players Woodson is recruiting and am overall still confident that he will ultimately get the job done at IU.
I mostly agree, just have neither read it nor said it.

Reactions: Beorik

I'm not sure why you had high hopes. There are exactly two players on a team that had a losing record last year that have NBA potential, and neither are we developing. There are still a bunch, like half the team that need to consider the transfer wormhole to the MAC or MVC. TJD is an above average player, but not capable of carrying us to anything. Realistically, if we did go on a miraculous run, would you expect us to do any damage in the tourney? We might win 1, but the hallmark of this roster is that it is one dimensional, ill constructed, has no heart or closing ability, and if we don't match up well even against bottom feeders in the B10, we're going to lose. Inconsistency is the only consistency.

I've been waiting for like 6 years for me to break down and buy cable, sadly I though this may have been be the year, but its not, unless I clamor away to watch a first game NIT exit, and that assumes we'd get a bid there.

This dates back to Crean (because he let Dickich kick every good player we had off the team so he'd get a honeymoon). AM tried and failed, Crean left him with not much and AM recruited not to our needs or actual talent , but to the media and people that thought we just needed more in-state recruits, and that left him f'd and got him fired.

Lander, Leal, Galloway ring a bell? Even TJD probably wouldn't start for UK this year, that's a problem, but it's something Woodson inherited because AM was not fired soon enough to do anything about it and he wasn't a glam hire that instantly brings the best in.

I think he is trying to bring back culture though. He saw a violation of team rules and shut that shit down. That I do respect, Crean was hired and supposed to have restored that culture, but he didn't and we had players running over players drunk, fake ID's, and pot (which who gives a shit about, better than drunk driving), but there was a lack of control and he was a major Tom Arnold look alike weirdo personality. A lot of stuff levied at Sampson should be directly pointed at Crean too. One lied about texts and won. One lost several teams and lost control of teams that gave up on him and had players who got in a lot more trouble off the court ... you pick?

Talent is the problem, same challenge different coach. I will give Dolson credit that he saw the problem and we've got three strikes to get somebody in here that can get the talent without a coaching search. The roster needs to shake out and the coaching needs to get better, but you can't polish a turd and that's sort of what Woodson was tasked with in yr 1. It's just a not very talented team that is easy to pick apart.

I mostly agree, just have neither read it nor said it.
Yeah he loves to exaggerate. I haven’t called anyone fools for having high hopes and I haven’t seen it either.

Mostly I have tried to push back on the notion that Woodson doesn’t know what he is doing because of the results of this single season.

I think overall Woodson is doing fine and in hindsight expectations for this year and the transfers we brought in were way too high.

Yeah he loves to exaggerate. I haven’t called anyone fools for having high hopes and I haven’t seen it either.

Mostly I have tried to push back on the notion that Woodson doesn’t know what he is doing because of the results of this single season.

I think overall Woodson is doing fine and in hindsight expectations for this year and the transfers we brought in were way too high.
It's kinda lonely out on this limb, but good to know there are a few of us still hanging on! 😉

Reactions: Beorik
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT