ADVERTISEMENT

I really like Woody but

Too slow to make adjustments. Too slow to prepare for the season. Too slow to build a team that can win.

Woodson has some nice offensive ideas and is able to see things and make improvements sometimes. Coaching is a lot of things. He doesnt give enough in terms of energy, awareness, fire and intensity. He hasn't been able to manufacturer any wins for this team despite a reasonably talented group.

This is a very bad loss for the coaches. You can't get your ass beat at home to a first year PSU coach without a lot of wins. Totally on the coaches this one.

Too slow to make adjustments. Too slow to prepare for the season. Too slow to build a team that can win.

Woodson has some nice offensive ideas and is able to see things and make improvements sometimes. Coaching is a lot of things. He doesnt give enough in terms of energy, awareness, fire and intensity. He hasn't been able to manufacturer any wins for this team despite a reasonably talented group.

This is a very bad loss for the coaches. You can't get your ass beat at home to a first year PSU coach without a lot of wins. Totally on the coaches this one.
Woodson is clearly not a college coach. He is showing he can’t build a program

Yea, I was never excited about the Woodson hire and can't stand to listen to him talk. His whole demeanor and they way he always says "man" just bugs me. I thought Mike Davis was in over his head but I don't think Woodson has a clue. He's going down as one of the worst hire in IU basketball history. He's got plenty of talent.

In Woodson's day kids already knew how to play from playing in parks from sunrise to sunset and under the guidance of good high school coaches. Today, from a young age, kids don't play unless unless it's an organized league, don't leave the house to hone their skills, and are under the supervision of really bad high school coaches. IMO, that's how 5 stars bust. Woodson is probably flabbergasted at how poorly these kids know the game. He's had teams that have shown really good defensive principles. But his offensive schemes are really bad. It seems like he's got kids this year that don't really care for Indiana - or playing the game for that matter.

Attack the press and you take away the double-team on Ware and Reneau. We let them pressure us bringing it up the court, then allowed them to get into their half court defense and take away our inside advantage. Complete coaching fail today.

You have to give Chris Beard a call tonight.
Why because he seems like a nice guy? Many coaches seem nice but this is a business.. Nice guys get fired from real jobs if the suck. Of course he wanted the job but it was doomed from the start. Tjd masked it for a few years but we still weren't even that great with tjd. If Woodson had started from scratch without tjd he would have been awful the last two years

Why because he seems like a nice guy? Many coaches seem nice but this is a business.. Nice guys get fired from real jobs if the suck. Of course he wanted the job but it was doomed from the start. Tjd masked it for a few years but we still weren't even that great with tjd. If Woodson had started from scratch without tjd he would have been awful the last two years
Nice guys don't get fired they get moved to training.

Reactions: bailey777
I liked that he could help unify the IU basketball family. Without being long winded, that means bringing together former players, fans, coaches (RMK). This could be a sign of an IU admin that wants to embrace, and not vaporize (like what happened for many years) the Knight years.

But, without the Matta and Fife package, I would have been far less accepting. You need someone that is a college coach and can build a college program.

Losing matta and fife had to be devastating.

Turning program building over to the boosters has not helped the culture. Remember all the talk here of how IU was ahead of the curve with NIL, and programs like PU that were slower to push the envelope and embrace pay for play were doomed?

How’s that working out?

All we are seeing is the difference between when a program legend leaves on great terms and passes on the baton versus when one leaves on horrible terms with nothing but ill feelings. RMK was never one to let go of a grudge.

See Duke on how you pass on a baton...

Funny RMK made Coach K cry after Duke beat IU in the F4 b/c K wasn't "appreciative" enough...roll my eyes, seriously.

We were never going to part amicably w RMK and he was never going to let IU ever have another girlfriend (there was a Texas Tech merch tent at the gas station on meridian and Stop 11 by my old house and it still pisses me off to this day).

IU basketball history is becoming the same kind of history as Army football.
Total dominance in its heyday....and firmly established in mediocrity today. My biggest concern about this program isn't even the wins and losses. Its future scheduling against the UConns and UNCs of the world who decide playing IU doesn't bring any return. ; and decline to schedule. They might as well schedule Utah State to get the same kind of W. The irrelevancy is pervasive.....and its growing. We are legends in our own mind, and we (as a program) incestuously continue down this path.

Programs that were in comparable situations (though not as far along in rigor mortis) swung for the fences to change the trajectory. Kansas went after Self, UNC went after Williams, Kentucy went after Calipari....etc. There has to be a commitment and a demand for excellence at the highest level....up and down the food chain. For the longest time...the "up" section of the food chain has been absent. Reminds me of the "Ham and Egg Principle": When the chicken lays an egg...she's made a contribution. But that hog's committed". We've had a long term series of "contributions". We need a commitment.

Last edited:
First and foremost, Woody is a class act. He bleeds cream and crimson. He’s recruiting the big boys, misses some but at least we’re in the room. I’d love to sit back and smoke a cigar and pound a few bourbons with him lol.
If Woody is the class act you think he is...he will resign. IU fans would sincerely thank him, and his legacy at IU would be honorable and solid.

If Woody is the class act you think he is...he will resign. IU fans would sincerely thank him, and his legacy at IU would be honorable and solid.
Correct. The boos were not bad last night. They will be shouting step down vs MSU.

In Woodson's day kids already knew how to play from playing in parks from sunrise to sunset and under the guidance of good high school coaches. Today, from a young age, kids don't play unless unless it's an organized league, don't leave the house to hone their skills, and are under the supervision of really bad high school coaches. IMO, that's how 5 stars bust. Woodson is probably flabbergasted at how poorly these kids know the game. He's had teams that have shown really good defensive principles. But his offensive schemes are really bad. It seems like he's got kids this year that don't really care for Indiana - or playing the game for that matter.
Flabbergasted at how poor these kids know the game ?
It's 2024..Not 1980.
One of Woodson's biggest problems...

Reactions: ulrey and BigMobe
This is where Dolson will cement his legacy. He acted more proactively than I expected with Archie and Allen. I think it's pretty clear this isn't going to work, so he needs to be rounding up the boosters and contacting coaches. I think if you sit Woody down and tell him it ain't working and he's not going to be the coach next year, but the school doesn't want to embarass him and wants him step down honorably because he wants to spend more time with his family and negotiate a buyout, he's been through the mill enough in the pro game to accept that and an 8-10 million parting gift.

Reactions: Indymoon
This is where Dolson will cement his legacy. He acted more proactively than I expected with Archie and Allen. I think it's pretty clear this isn't going to work, so he needs to be rounding up the boosters and contacting coaches. I think if you sit Woody down and tell him it ain't working and he's not going to be the coach next year, but the school doesn't want to embarass him and wants him step down honorably because he wants to spend more time with his family and negotiate a buyout, he's been through the mill enough in the pro game to accept that and an 8-10 million parting gift.
Haven’t seen Matta talked about. What’s his situation, Butler contract, etc… We should have hired him during the Davis years. Let’s go get someone we know will be successful, and he would be. He’s only 56. Perfect combination of proven success at various levels, age, styles of play, etc…

Woodson is clearly not a college coach. He is showing he can’t build a program
"build" is a key here. And like I've mentioned, we only have to look over to the Women's new banner to see a great example of program building.

It's a hurry. Every game matters greatly. You can't be satisfied winning 55-60% of your games. Not at Indiana. Not with access to very talented players.

IU is getting hammered. Not even losing close games. You can look at NW and see that they are fighting hard, even in losses. IU gets down big and thinks a 13 point deficit at home is just something that happens. Can't have that. Knight believed IU should win all the time. First game of the season til the end. This isn't a Knight post, but in comparison Woodson seems to think winning half the games is fine if they play well eventually.
He has shown no urgency with the program. That's his biggest problem.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
"build" is a key here. And like I've mentioned, we only have to look over to the Women's new banner to see a great example of program building.

It's a hurry. Every game matters greatly. You can't be satisfied winning 55-60% of your games. Not at Indiana. Not with access to very talented players.

IU is getting hammered. Not even losing close games. You can look at NW and see that they are fighting hard, even in losses. IU gets down big and thinks a 13 point deficit at home is just something that happens. Can't have that. Knight believed IU should win all the time. First game of the season til the end. This isn't a Knight post, but in comparison Woodson seems to think winning half the games is fine if they play well eventually.
He has shown no urgency with the program. That's his biggest problem.
Forward thinking…say he does stay and is our coach next year.
We salvage MR, Cupps, Galloway, Leal, Newton
Woody has one recruit (one and done) coming in for a roster that is turning over. That is not forward thinking it’s short term thinking. Dolson needs to step in and see this and makes this point.
There is no long term success in the cards with this type of team building

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I fear Woody and Quinn will make it hard. They’ll blame stuff (injuries, players) and want time to fix it. If so, Dolson has to do it the ugly way, which is fine this is his fault. Dolson should really be replaced but that’s a separate issue.

Gold coaches things quickly in the portal era. Look at Matta at Butler. We need a Matta.

Total dominance in its heyday....and firmly established in mediocrity today. My biggest concern about this program isn't even the wins and losses. Its future scheduling against the UConns and UNCs of the world who decide playing IU doesn't bring any return. ; and decline to schedule. They might as well schedule Utah State to get the same kind of W. The irrelevancy is pervasive.....and its growing. We are legends in our own mind, and we (as a program) incestuously continue down this path.

Programs that were in comparable situations (though not as far along in rigor mortis) swung for the fences to change the trajectory. Kansas went after Self, UNC went after Williams, Kentucy went after Calipari....etc. There has to be a commitment and a demand for excellence at the highest level....up and down the food chain. For the longest time...the "up" section of the food chain has been absent. Reminds me of the "Ham and Egg Principle": When the chicken lays an egg...she's made a contribution. But that hog's committed". We've had a long term series of "contributions". We need a commitment.
Maybe we will become a home “buy game” for the competent programs and beg for the Crossroads Classic to return. Oooof.

It’s wild — we are Army Football, but with big $, maybe that’s kinda Nebraska? Ugh.

Forward thinking…say he does stay and is our coach next year.
We salvage MR, Cupps, Galloway, Leal, Newton
Woody has one recruit (one and done) coming in for a roster that is turning over. That is not forward thinking it’s short term thinking. Dolson needs to step in and see this and makes this point.
There is no long term success in the cards with this type of team building
Agreed, and Woodson has basically showed us that he wants and expects 5star kids on a regular basis. But he won't get them unless he shows them he can win. He needs to win with Cupps and Galloway and Mgbako. He can't say "well, we're young".

Reactions: Tammany Hall
For example? You mean how he consistently throws his players under the bus? Yeah, classy. He's simply a grumpy old man who's in way over his head.
I don't think he throws them under the bus, he's usually just honest about what he sees happening. Regularly saying we're not defending the 3 well, need more out of our guards, guards need to rebound, gotta make FTs and 3s.... which of those do you disagree with or feel is unfair?

Reactions: jssboiler and ams66
I don't think he throws them under the bus, he's usually just honest about what he sees happening. Regularly saying we're not defending the 3 well, need more out of our guards, guards need to rebound, gotta make FTs and 3s.... which of those do you disagree with or feel is unfair?
But he never says “I have to do a better job of making sure these guys do these things.”

The reason we continually suck at basic things falls on the head coach. Its not like this team doesn’t have the ability.

So yes, call them out, but call your damn self out too. Because he stands there with a stupid look on his face, makes no changes, and keeps getting his butt kicked. Its a joke.

These players are all now making 5 to 6 figures, it's not unreasonable to hold them at least somewhat accountable for their effort, fundamental play, and leadership.

Reactions: Radio Zero
But he never says “I have to do a better job of making sure these guys do these things.”

The reason we continually suck at basic things falls on the head coach. Its not like this team doesn’t have the ability.

So yes, call them out, but call your damn self out too. Because he stands there with a stupid look on his face, makes no changes, and keeps getting his butt kicked. Its a joke.
Actually, I think he says it constantly. Now, getting it corrected, I agree is another matter and a huge issue, but right after he says the things I noted, it's almost always followed by "and that's on me, I've got to get them to do that better!"

First and foremost, Woody is a class act. He bleeds cream and crimson. He’s recruiting the big boys, misses some but at least we’re in the room. I’d love to sit back and smoke a cigar and pound a few bourbons with him lol.
Thank you for providing some balance.

Be prepared . . . if some of the anti-CMW bashers can't refute your facts, they will then try to attack you personally.

Thank you for providing some balance.

Be prepared . . . if some of the anti-CMW bashers can't refute your facts, they will then try to attack you personally.
Are you certain Charley isn’t pulling your chain?

I take a bit of exception putting Cal in that category. The Kentucky AD wanted a coach who would bring certain intangibles that were acceptable to UK. About 50% of the fans were very uncomfortable with Cal. He did bring that lone championship to them but they have been ready to ditch him for awhile now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT