ADVERTISEMENT

I played nine holes after work earlier this week and had unusual experience. The

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
course was charging golfers extra money for using riding carts--even if their memberships included unlimited use of a riding cart because only one golfer was allowed to ride on each cart due to the coronavirus. Thus, many people who usually ride were walking that evening.

Two golfers were putting out on the second hole as I was playing the first hole and I caught up with them on the third hole. I waited on them several times while playing the third hole and thought it was going to be a long round.

Much to my surprise, they were sitting down next to the fourth tee when I arrive there and told me to play through because I was a faster player. Those guys were in their 20s, by the way, and were carrying their golf bags.

I proceeded to play the fourth hole (par 5) and teed off on the fifth hole when I finally saw the two golfers again. They still were about 300 yards from the fourth green.

I then finished the fifth hole (par 4) and headed to the sixth tee, which is a par 3. While I was waiting on a singleton in front of me, I noticed the twosome behind me was just putting out on the fourth hole.

The guy in front of me finally finished the sixth hole and I hit my drive onto the green. I just barely missed my birdie putt and headed to the seventh tee. Once again, I was surprised when I arrived at the par 5 hole. The golfer, who was carrying his bag, was waiting on me. He also was in his 20s, told me to go ahead and play through.

I finished the hole rather quickly and caught up with another singleton on the eighth tee. Once again, he was in his 20s and carrying his golf bag. Like the other golfers, he told me to go ahead and play through. I accepted his invitation and wound up completing the ninth hole before he even finished putting out on the eight hole.

What's my point? Too many young guys are used to riding in a cart when they play golf. As a result, it is overwhelming to them to walk nine holes--let alone 18 holes. I'll be 67 in less than four months and I can walk faster than most of the young golfers. That is a bad indicator to me.

course was charging golfers extra money for using riding carts--even if their memberships included unlimited use of a riding cart because only one golfer was allowed to ride on each cart due to the coronavirus. Thus, many people who usually ride were walking that evening.

Two golfers were putting out on the second hole as I was playing the first hole and I caught up with them on the third hole. I waited on them several times while playing the third hole and thought it was going to be a long round.

Much to my surprise, they were sitting down next to the fourth tee when I arrive there and told me to play through because I was a faster player. Those guys were in their 20s, by the way, and were carrying their golf bags.

I proceeded to play the fourth hole (par 5) and teed off on the fifth hole when I finally saw the two golfers again. They still were about 300 yards from the fourth green.

I then finished the fifth hole (par 4) and headed to the sixth tee, which is a par 3. While I was waiting on a singleton in front of me, I noticed the twosome behind me was just putting out on the fourth hole.

The guy in front of me finally finished the sixth hole and I hit my drive onto the green. I just barely missed my birdie putt and headed to the seventh tee. Once again, I was surprised when I arrived at the par 5 hole. The golfer, who was carrying his bag, was waiting on me. He also was in his 20s, told me to go ahead and play through.

I finished the hole rather quickly and caught up with another singleton on the eighth tee. Once again, he was in his 20s and carrying his golf bag. Like the other golfers, he told me to go ahead and play through. I accepted his invitation and wound up completing the ninth hole before he even finished putting out on the eight hole.

What's my point? Too many young guys are used to riding in a cart when they play golf. As a result, it is overwhelming to them to walk nine holes--let alone 18 holes. I'll be 67 in less than four months and I can walk faster than most of the young golfers. That is a bad indicator to me.

How would they charge their phone?

Reactions: UncleMark

You seem to take a lot of pride in playing fast, and I get it on a crowded day. But my guess is these guys were just relishing being outside playing on a nice early spring day. Sometimes we can learn things from those younger than us! I'm not playing golf today, but if I were, it would probably be the slowest round of my life, regardless of how many other people were on the course.

You seem to take a lot of pride in playing fast, and I get it on a crowded day. But my guess is these guys were just relishing being outside playing on a nice early spring day. Sometimes we can learn things from those younger than us! I'm not playing golf today, but if I were, it would probably be the slowest round of my life, regardless of how many other people were on the course.

As a long-time sales person, I am good at reading body language. I could tell it was overwhelming to them to be walking nine holes.

I've been using a push cart ever since I seriously injured my back in 2012 when the bicyclist caused me to slam on my brakes. I walked much faster when I carried my bag because I could walk across the greens while carrying it instead of having to push my cart around them like I do now. Those young guys, on the other hand, acted like it was challenging to pick up their golf bags.

Personally, I dread the day when I get old and have to ride in a cart when I play golf.

How would they charge their phone?

I know exactly what you mean by that comment. Young guys can't be without them. Bloomington used to be part of my sales territory and I frequently drove my vehicle on the IU campus. While doing so, I noticed that about 90 percent of the students walking on campus were looking down at their phones most of the time.

I put my phone in my golf bag so I will have it if I need to call the pro shop about something or if my wife needs me for some reason. Seldom do I even touch my phone during a round of golf.

I know exactly what you mean by that comment. Young guys can't be without them. Bloomington used to be part of my sales territory and I frequently drove my vehicle on the IU campus. While doing so, I noticed that about 90 percent of the students walking on campus were looking down at their phones most of the time.

I put my phone in my golf bag so I will have it if I need to call the pro shop about something or if my wife needs me for some reason. Seldom do I even touch my phone during a round of golf.

Likewise. I mute my phone and put it in my bag, even when i'm in a cart (It's tough to walk/push with a cooler of Guinness)

As a long-time sales person, I am good at reading body language. I could tell it was overwhelming to them to be walking nine holes.

I've been using a push cart ever since I seriously injured my back in 2012 when the bicyclist caused me to slam on my brakes. I walked much faster when I carried my bag because I could walk across the greens while carrying it instead of having to push my cart around them like I do now. Those young guys, on the other hand, acted like it was challenging to pick up their golf bags.

Personally, I dread the day when I get old and have to ride in a cart when I play golf.

I always heard it was bad etiquette to walk on greens with a bag, and never do it because I'm more likely to scuff my feet with the extra weight. I think you need to slow down a little and quit worrying about your pace so much. It's obvious you focus on it a lot. You're going to be a fast player based on your history regardless, so slow down a bit and enjoy yourself and focus on the next shot, not the next group.

I always heard it was bad etiquette to walk on greens with a bag, and never do it because I'm more likely to scuff my feet with the extra weight. I think you need to slow down a little and quit worrying about your pace so much. It's obvious you focus on it a lot. You're going to be a fast player based on your history regardless, so slow down a bit and enjoy yourself and focus on the next shot, not the next group.

Walking across a green with a carry bag is no big deal. Carry bags/clubs aren't that heavy. Super firm courses like Bandon Dunes even let you take a pull/push cart on the greens.

Walking across a green with a carry bag is no big deal. Carry bags/clubs aren't that heavy. Super firm courses like Bandon Dunes even let you take a pull/push cart on the greens.

I always thought it was just more the appearance to other golfers. And, as I said, I never do it for that reason also, but primarily because I know I'm more likely to scuff my feel when carrying a bag. Mines a light carry bag, but I just wouldn't do it.

I like to play fast because I am a busy person. I also like to do it for the exercise. On weekends, I have to walk fast because everybody else in my foursome usually is riding in a cart.

Are you staying 6 feet away from your dentist friend? Just wondering.:D

I haven't played golf with him for several months. Tuesday is my last day at the country club because I joined Otter Creek..

I really enjoy playing golf with him and the rest of the guys in that group at the country club, but I decided to spend less money for golf this year. I played too poorly last year to justify it.

This thread needs more Paige Spiranac

151210-paige-spiranac-th.jpg

I like to play fast because I am a busy person. I also like to do it for the exercise. On weekends, I have to walk fast because everybody else in my foursome usually is riding in a cart.

But you were by yourself, this time, and yet you still focus on speed of play, and it sounds like there weren't many people on the course to begin with. You make a post, entirely about speed of play, and barely any mention of how you played, which I'm guessing was sub-par.... again, no? That's my point, it's never good to be agitated and focused on extraneous stuff playing golf. You've complained about your game for at least a year, and your posts during that time have been as much about speed of play, as about your actual game and scoring. I think there's a good chance the 2 are related. Slow down and enjoy your round and you just may score a little better. I'd bet at the very least the score on your blood pressure will improve!

Have they put the foam things in the holes so you aren't touching the cup?

But you were by yourself, this time, and yet you still focus on speed of play, and it sounds like there weren't many people on the course to begin with. You make a post, entirely about speed of play, and barely any mention of how you played, which I'm guessing was sub-par.... again, no? That's my point, it's never good to be agitated and focused on extraneous stuff playing golf. You've complained about your game for at least a year, and your posts during that time have been as much about speed of play, as about your actual game and scoring. I think there's a good chance the 2 are related. Slow down and enjoy your round and you just may score a little better. I'd bet at the very least the score on your blood pressure will improve!

I played nine holes in about an hour tonight because I didn't have to wait on anybody. Otter Creek was deserted because the club house closes at 4:00 due to the coronavirus epidemic. In other words, nobody playing at 4:00 or later can ride in a golf cart.

Because the driving range is closed due to the pandemic, I hit two drives on the first hole. The first one was a worm burner that went about 30 yards, but the second one was considerably better. Unfortunately, I still finished with a triple bogey on No. 1 (west nine). That hole is a monster, by the way.

I then got two more bogeys and a double bogey before teeing off on No. 5, which is a rather short par 5 for a guy who hits it right-to-left (draw) like me. I hit a good drive, left my second shot about 15 yards short of the green and then chipped to within about five feet of the hole. I then hit the protruding cup (for coronavirus) and finished with a birdie.

That seemed to motivate me because I parred two of the next three holes before playing the ninth hole. The ninth hole, which is a par 5, is another hole that favors a right-handed golfer with a draw. I hit a good drive, a decent second shot and put my third shot on the green about 10 feet below the hole. Unfortunately, I missed the putt and made a par for a +7 score of 43.

Even though it was fairly windy tonight, I loved getting out to play golf. It seems like I play so much better when I can play at a consistent speed--especially if it is a fast speed.

Reactions: Brockway
I played nine holes in about an hour tonight because I didn't have to wait on anybody. Otter Creek was deserted because the club house closes at 4:00 due to the coronavirus epidemic. In other words, nobody playing at 4:00 or later can ride in a golf cart.

Because the driving range is closed due to the pandemic, I hit two drives on the first hole. The first one was a worm burner that went about 30 yards, but the second one was considerably better. Unfortunately, I still finished with a triple bogey on No. 1 (west nine). That hole is a monster, by the way.

I then got two more bogeys and a double bogey before teeing off on No. 5, which is a rather short par 5 for a guy who hits it right-to-left (draw) like me. I hit a good drive, left my second shot about 15 yards short of the green and then chipped to within about five feet of the hole. I then hit the protruding cup (for coronavirus) and finished with a birdie.

That seemed to motivate me because I parred two of the next three holes before playing the ninth hole. The ninth hole, which is a par 5, is another hole that favors a right-handed golfer with a draw. I hit a good drive, a decent second shot and put my third shot on the green about 10 feet below the hole. Unfortunately, I missed the putt and made a par for a +7 score of 43.

Even though it was fairly windy tonight, I loved getting out to play golf. It seems like I play so much better when I can play at a consistent speed--especially if it is a fast speed.

Of course you play better, your entire mindset is geared to want to play that way, and I think you're frustrating yourself when you can't. I believe if you'd work on that, you'll see your overall scoring improve. Right now you're letting yourself be the player who other guys know can get in your head.

With the shelter at home in place, what does your workday consist of?

With the shelter at home in place, what does your workday consist of?

Because we can't go out and cold call like usual, I spend about 8 1/2 or so hours a day sitting in front of my home computer. When I'm not doing a webinar with Sharp, Canon or Lexmark, I am emailing current and prospective customers.

I went to the office today so I could finish and submit the paperwork for two deals I landed this week. We're going to deliver and install one of them on Thursday morning. We won't be able to deliver the other machine until it arrives at our office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT