ADVERTISEMENT

I played 18 holes of golf today in Columbus, Indiana.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
It was somewhat windy today, but the temperatures were in the low 50s. My short game was rusty because I hadn't played in over three weeks, but I still had a great time.

I had a 41 on the front, but shot a 46 on the back nine for an 87. My guess is I had at least seven 3-putt holes today.

It makes winter seem so much shorter when I can play golf in January. March can't get here quickly enough for me.

I rode my bike 51 miles, 27 on Saturday and 24 on Sunday. Low to mid 70s. Battled a 13 mph wind both days. Most I have ridden on consecutive days in a few years. Thinking about trying the Hilly Hundred this fall, 100 hilly miles in one October weekend near Bloomington. Always a great time when I was at IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCCHoosier
I rode my bike 51 miles, 27 on Saturday and 24 on Sunday. Low to mid 70s. Battled a 13 mph wind both days. Most I have ridden on consecutive days in a few years. Thinking about trying the Hilly Hundred this fall, 100 hilly miles in one October weekend near Bloomington. Always a great time when I was at IU.
We’re happy for you.

It was somewhat windy today, but the temperatures were in the low 50s. My short game was rusty because I hadn't played in over three weeks, but I still had a great time.

I had a 41 on the front, but shot a 46 on the back nine for an 87. My guess is I had at least seven 3-putt holes today.

It makes winter seem so much shorter when I can play golf in January. March can't get here quickly enough for me.
White tees? Or reds?

I have pictures of the 7th hole in the fall . . . beautiful colors lining the fairway . . . .

I remember my dad making me play golf in a cold rain in February . . . he wanted to play and thought I should too . . . in the 40s with wind and rain. HLCC . . .

I recall one time playing HLCC in August with the high about 79 and high skies . . . humidity was like 35%. Great day to be out there.

White tees? Or reds?

I have pictures of the 7th hole in the fall . . . beautiful colors lining the fairway . . . .

I remember my dad making me play golf in a cold rain in February . . . he wanted to play and thought I should too . . . in the 40s with wind and rain. HLCC . . .

I recall one time playing HLCC in August with the high about 79 and high skies . . . humidity was like 35%. Great day to be out there.
The HLCC course has been closed since the middle of October and probably won't be open until around April. Thus, I played Greenbelt. I agree with you regarding playing HLCC in the late summer and early fall. It is absolutely gorgeous when the leaves begin to change colors. I absolutely love looking at those pear trees!

I love riding a bicycle, but haven't done it since college. I think it's great you are riding so many miles on your bicycle. It is great exercise. Do you know Pete King? He and I graduated together from high school and both of us went to IU. Pete was the top rider on the Phi Gamma Delta team that won the Little 500 in 1976.

Reactions: abraxis
I love riding a bicycle, but haven't done it since college. I think it's great you are riding so many miles on your bicycle. It is great exercise. Do you know Pete King?
No, I don't know him, but I was at IU later than you. I was there Aug 1987- Dec 1991 for graduate school, PhD in chemistry.

I quit riding altogether about 15 years ago due to neck and back problems. Then 3 years ago I discovered recumbent trikes. Same level of excercise, but no strain on neck, back, or butt. Like riding in a beach chair! Mine is made in the USA, a company called catrike. I added assist bars to help get on and off, since that was the only issue I had, with my bad back. Here what my sweet ride looks like. I have a flag and many lights, even in the daytime, to be more visible.

with assist bars:

ASA362.jpg

stock setup:

Catrike_559-C1.jpg

No, I don't know him, but I was at IU later than you. I was there Aug 1987- Dec 1991 for graduate school, PhD in chemistry.

I quit riding altogether about 15 years ago due to neck and back problems. Then 3 years ago I discovered recumbent trikes. Same level of excercise, but no strain on neck, back, or butt. Like riding in a beach chair! Mine is made in the USA, a company called catrike. I added assist bars to help get on and off, since that was the only issue I had, with my bad back. Here what my sweet ride looks like. I have a flag and many lights, even in the daytime, to be more visible.

with assist bars:

ASA362.jpg

stock setup:

Catrike_559-C1.jpg

I might be wrong, but those look like they would be tough to ride. I admire you even more for riding that many miles now.

I might be wrong, but those look like they would be tough to ride. I admire you even more for riding that many miles now.
The only tough part is getting the setup right- chain length, boom length (that's the arm in the front, and it adjusts), and the preferred seat recline angle. After a few rides you get it dialed in, and then it's like riding a go-kart. The main downside is that the trike's geometry makes hill climbing a bit harder, since there is no "standing on the pedals" option. But that is partially overcome by gearing. And by living in Florida, where the only hills are highway overpasses! They are also heavier than high end road bikes and there are three tires, so rolling resistance is more of a concern.

The low slung nature is actually an aerodynamic benefit. All biking speed records are held by recumbents, albeit of the two-wheeled variety, which are hard to get the hang of. Especially fast are the covered "velomobiles" which look like bobsleds:

Last edited:
The HLCC course has been closed since the middle of October and probably won't be open until around April. Thus, I played Greenbelt. I agree with you regarding playing HLCC in the late summer and early fall. It is absolutely gorgeous when the leaves begin to change colors. I absolutely love looking at those pear trees!
I bet those pear trees you love looking at are “Bradford” pears, aka Callery pear. Landscapers loved them because everyone was wanting them for their early Spring white blossoms and pretty Fall colors. Birds sh*t the berries, making this non-native species highly invasive and they are no longer recommended as ornamentals. Columbus is absolutely loaded with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT