Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
8 returning starters on Offense
9 returning starters on Defense

We lost Hart at RB coach
We lost Wommack at DC

We added McCullough as RB coach
We added Warren as DC

OL - We lost Nworah and Crider - took Carpenter from the portal. Pre-season starts last year were 46 - this year 67.

RB - We lost Scott, took Carr from the portal, lost James 8/11/21 and Baldwin 10/4/21 to the portal.

WR - We lost Whop - took Matthews and Buckley from the portal - lost Matthews

QB - we lost Penix then Tuttle

DL - We lost J. Johnson and added Anderson and Handy from the portal

LB - We kept Jones and McFadden and got Marcelino back at Husky

Corners - Lost Mullen to injury

Safety - Lost Jamar Johnson

We should have been better than we have performed.

Penix underperformed.
OL underperformed.
WR's underperformed.

Until Maryland, defense generally was good enough to win, but less than expected.

IMO losing James, then the horrible start at Iowa shook this team emotionally and mentally. It snowballed and we lost momentum, confidence, chemistry.

Instead of looking forward to playing our tough schedule - it became an excuse.

All we can do now is find out who the fighters are and re-group for next year.

We're 2-6. Own it.

I worry that the coaching changes were a major mental change that we did not adjust to well enough/quick enough.

Redshirt seniors who contribute and will probably be gone:
Powell OL
Marcelino - Husky
Smolar - K
Burgess - DB
Fitzgerald - DB
Allen - LB
Jones. - OL
Bryant - DL

5thYear Seniors who could be gone:

Monster - DB
Reese Taylor - DB
Cam Jones - LB
James Head - DL
Jaylin Williams - DB
McFadden - LB
Haggard - OL
Bjorson - TE
Elliot - DL

Tuttle has a degree
Penix - ?

In the bleak midwinter ....

We lost Hart at RB coach
We lost Wommack at DC

We added Warren as DC

OL - We lost Nworah and Crider - took Carpenter from the portal. Pre-season starts last year were 46 - this year 67.

RB - We lost Scott, took Carr from the portal, lost James 8/11/21 and Baldwin 10/4/21 to the portal.

Penix underperformed.
OL underperformed.
WR's underperformed.

Until Maryland, defense generally was good enough to win, but less than expected.

IMO losing James, then the horrible start at Iowa shook this team emotionally and mentally. It snowballed and we lost momentum, confidence, chemistry.

We're 2-6. Own it.

I worry that the coaching changes were a major mental change that we did not adjust to well enough/quick enough.

Powell OL
Marcelino - Husky
Smolar - K
Burgess - DB
Fitzgerald - DB
Allen - LB
Jones. - OL
Bryant - DL

Monster - DB
Reese Taylor - DB
Cam Jones - LB
James Head - DL
Jaylin Williams - DB
McFadden - LB
Haggard - OL
Bjorson - TE
Elliot - DL

Tuttle has a degree
Penix - ?

Fryfogle also. Hendershot. Hopefully, WR Matthews will be back.

Marcelino has not given us much. Disappointing.

I would add Layne as returning player who has not been as food as hoped/projected.

It's really quite amazing how bleak things look right now. Losing a lot of talent and experience from a team that has grossly underachieved.

Guys who have been as good or better than expected: Reese, Josh S., Anderson (quiet lately though), Hardy, McFadden, Cam Jones, Sio, Kramer, Elliott, McCulley, Hendershot, Carr, Monster, J. Williams, Campbell, WR Matthews.

Guys who have struggled: Penix, Tuttle, the entire OL, all the WRs other than Matthews, Mullen, Baldwin, King (disappeared), the punter, Head (hurt, now?)

Last edited:
Fryfogle also. Hendershot. Hopefully, WR Matthews will be back.

Marcelino has not given us much. Disappointing.

I would add Layne as returning player who has not been as food as hoped/projected

It's really quite amazing how bleak things look right now. Losing a lot of talent and experience from a team that has grossly underachieved.

Guys who have been as good or better than expected: Reese, Josh S., Anderson (quiet lately though), Hardy, McFadden, Cam Jones, Sio, Kramer, Elliott, McCulley, Hendershot, Carr, Monster, J. Williams, Campbell

Guys who have struggled: Penix, Tuttle, the entire OL, all the WRs other than Matthews, Mullen, Baldwin, King (disappeared), the punter,

Mullen came back last week after being hurt for 3 weeks and you listed Baldwin who entered the transfer portal a month ago.

Mullen came back last week after being hurt for 3 weeks and you listed Baldwin who entered the transfer portal a month ago.
Imo, Mullen wasn't as nearly as good as last year when he was healthy, beginning with game 1. That situation reminds me of Rashard Fant's senior year.

I listed Baldwin as a disappointing player based on his performance before he left.

Imo, Mullen wasn't as nearly as good as last year when he was healthy, beginning with game 1. That situation reminds me of Rashard Fant's senior year.

I listed Baldwin as a disappointing player based on his performance before he left.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

We lost Hart at RB coach
We lost Wommack at DC

We added Warren as DC

Penix underperformed.
OL underperformed.
WR's underperformed.

We're 2-6. Own it.

Powell OL
Marcelino - Husky
Smolar - K
Burgess - DB
Fitzgerald - DB
Allen - LB
Jones. - OL
Bryant - DL

Monster - DB
Reese Taylor - DB
Cam Jones - LB
James Head - DL
Jaylin Williams - DB
McFadden - LB
Haggard - OL
Bjorson - TE
Elliot - DL

Tuttle has a degree
Penix - ?

You forgot about Kramer from Northern ILL who has been a very good surprise this season.

I agree that CTA isn't responsible for getting the Hoosiers to the Foster Farms Bowl but he wasn't "interim" HC.
He acted as head coach during the bowl game after Wilson was fired. Had he been officially hired as the head coach at that point?

I wish we had hired PJ Fleck. He’s been solid at Minnesota and seems like he’ll be there awhile.
Criticism of TA at this point is emotional ignorance. Thay lost one game they should not have and all while banged up big time. We KNEW that this year with this brutal schedule would be tough without Penix, let alone Mullen, Matthews etc.

CTA has taken the Hoosiers to three bowl games. The Hoosiers have now been to 13 bowl games in 120 years..
It hasn't mattered a great deal, but only the conference champions could take part in bowl games (Rose Bowl). I believe that was changed in the 1970s. Two years where we could have taken part in bowls if the number of them was what they are today, were 1958 where we were 5-3-1 and 1968 where the record was 6-4.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Criticism of TA at this point is emotional ignorance. Thay lost one game they should not have and all while banged up big time. We KNEW that this year with this brutal schedule would be tough without Penix, let alone Mullen, Matthews etc.
No one knew we’d be 2-6. Stop this nonsense.

Reactions: Upset Alert
The transfer portal has changed everything. You can completely overhaul your team and make them competitive in a year. Look at Michigan State for proof. They added 4 starters on defense - starting CBs from Alabama and Florida, an LB from Tennessee, and a DE from Duke. On offense they added Walker and a good LT from Arkansas State. It is up to the staff to find talent that will make them competitive next year.

I have seen IU teams that have stopped playing hard for the coaching staff. I saw none of that in the Maryland game, and the team had every reason to, given how the season has gone. We were down 14-0 on the road with our 3rd string true freshman QB who is learning on the job, and instead of getting blown out, they fought back and lost by 3 on the road to a team that will likely be a bowl team this year.

Allen will need to raid the portal extensively for next year's roster. I have no idea who will return for next year but it certainly seems like we lose a lot of key players.

MSU was lousy last year and the portal has been their best friend this year.

Allen will need to raid the portal extensively for next year's roster. I have no idea who will return for next year but it certainly seems like we lose a lot of key players.

Agree. It’s do or die time for Allen. He needs to free up about 10 spots and hit the transfer portal.

Many of the key upperclassmen have bonus COVID eligibility left, the question is will they use it, and will they use it at IU? It’s been a tough year psychologically so we’ll have to see how that plays out. If many leave it may be tougher to replace them with quality transfers.

That’s why I’m not a fan of the “trash this year, just play the young guys” mantra. We still need to win as many as we possibly can and salvage some momentum and good will.

Many of the key upperclassmen have bonus COVID eligibility left, the question is will they use it, and will they use it at IU? It’s been a tough year psychologically so we’ll have to see how that plays out. If many leave it may be tougher to replace them with quality transfers.

That’s why I’m not a fan of the “trash this year, just play the young guys” mantra. We still need to win as many as we possibly can and salvage some momentum and good will.
Last week a couple people raised the point that the defense seem to be tired and they were playing fever,people than last season. And some of those people are sitting on the bench this year. Did they forget how to contribute? Does it reflect an unbalanced coaching effort?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

We lost Hart at RB coach
We lost Wommack at DC

We added Warren as DC

Penix underperformed.
OL underperformed.
WR's underperformed.

We're 2-6. Own it.

(The reboot looks positive to me in this regard)

Redshirt seniors who contribute and will probably be gone: (and most are gone)
Powell OL … Marcelino - Husky … Smolar - K … Burgess - DB …Fitzgerald - DB .. Allen - LB … Jones. - OL … Bryant - DL

5thYear Seniors who could be gone: (Many stayed, including))

Monster - DB Reese Taylor - DB
Cam Jones - LB …. James Head - DL
Jaylin Williams - DB … McFadden - LB
Haggard - OL … Bjorson - TE
Elliot - DL

Tuttle has a degree
Penix - ?

I think IU did well in the portal this year, better that last year.
(But that may rely on the favorable home town press coverage).

Rebooting the coaching staff to the extent observed wasn’t expected, but looks positive.
Many hires appear to be upgrades, and happy to be working for Tom Allen.

Open positions on defense were plugged with SRs from the portal and a RS So. edge.
IU will field a SR laden, two deep roster on defense. (with big ten honorees at corner).
SRs are expected to do well.

I thought McFadden had to make too many plays near the sideline last year.
The new edge players from the portal need to reduce sideline to sideline LB pursuit.
Hopefully they will reduce dependence on the MLB blitz for QB pressure too.

Shivers looks like the portal RB pickup IU was looking for last year, with speed to burn.

WRs were rebooted, with a JUCO pickup boasting an 18 ypc average.

I’d like to see better recognition of single high safety and man under on 3rd down. When every receiver comes out of their break covered, because they were trying to settle in holes in the zone, something needs to happen …besides threading the needle. Running at least one man-beater route, because man-under was recognized would be a good start. Making a planned 2nd break when someone is on your hip would be another. If Walt can pull that off (too) he’ll be gone too soon. But it will be fun to watch while it lasts.

It’s clear, I think, that next fall’s season will hinge on three things.
1) Are the DTs stout enough to let the LBs flourish? I thought the DL missed Jerome Johnson as an anchor last year. DL needs to be better this year. DL improvement was a portal objective. A SR DT was supplanted by a portal newcomer.
2) Starting OTs look big enough … but need to upgrade their play from last season … and play hungry. I hope Bell has gets to OL to fire off on the snap count, and take it to the DL. Getting the DL to engage with their hands, clears passing lanes for RPOs.
3) Peyton Ramsey proved that arm strength can be overrated, and making the right play with anticipation is more than good enough. Is there a decision maker at QB that can make an RPO game go? I expect the best decision maker to start in September.

Beat the Illini.

Last edited:
I think IU did well in the portal this year, better that last year.
(But that may rely on the favorable home town press coverage).

Rebooting the coaching staff to the extent observed wasn’t expected, but looks positive.
Many hires appear to be upgrades, and happy to be working for Tom Allen.

Open positions on defense were plugged with SRs from the portal and a RS So. edge.
IU will field a SR laden, two deep roster on defense. (with big ten honorees at corner).
SRs are expected to do well.

I thought McFadden had to make too many plays near the sideline last year.
The new edge players from the portal need to reduce sideline to sideline LB pursuit.
Hopefully they will reduce dependence on the MLB blitz for QB pressure too.

Shivers looks like the portal RB pickup IU was looking for last year, with speed to burn.

WRs were rebooted, with a JUCO pickup boasting an 18 ypc average.

I’d like to see better recognition of single high safety and man under on 3rd down. When every receiver comes out of their break covered, because they were trying to settle in holes in the zone, something needs to happen …besides threading the needle. Running at least one man-beater route, because man-under was recognized would be a good start. Making a planned 2nd break when someone is on your hip would be another. If Walt can pull that off (too) he’ll be gone too soon. But it will be fun to watch while it lasts.

It’s clear, I think, that next fall’s season will hinge on three things.
1) Are the DTs stout enough to let the LBs flourish? I thought the DL missed Jerome Johnson as an anchor last year. DL needs to be better this year. DL improvement was a portal objective. A SR DT was supplanted by a portal newcomer.
2) Starting OTs look big enough … but need to upgrade their play from last season … and play hungry. I hope Bell has gets to OL to fire off on the snap count, and take it to the DL. Getting the DL to engage with their hands, clears passing lanes for RPOs.
3) Peyton Ramsey proved that arm strength can be overrated, and making the right play with anticipation is more than good enough. Is there a decision maker at QB that can make an RPO game go? I expect the best decision maker to start in September.

Beat the Illini.

I love the pickup of Shivers, but don't over look Henderson as well. He'll be a good change of pace back that we can bring in that has played big time football over the years as well.

Last week a couple people raised the point that the defense seem to be tired and they were playing fever,people than last season. And some of those people are sitting on the bench this year. Did they forget how to contribute? Does it reflect an unbalanced coaching effort?
I think it’s more the outcome of the accumulated injuries creating shortened rotations, especially at corner.
Two of the injured returning players will be former ABT honorees at corner. They never forgot how to contribute.

TA Jr., who was the 3rd/4th LB in his position group, was lost for the season. IU had 3rd stringers play some snaps, to give 2nd string starters a blow. In general, I think, ‘tired‘ or other ‘underperformance’ is perhaps better explained by the reduced level of talent on the field. (Jerome Johnson and Jamar Johnson were sorely missed when the injuries piled up).

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT