ADVERTISEMENT

I Hate Change

I think it’s more the outcome of the accumulated injuries creating shortened rotations, especially at corner.
Two of the injured returning players will be former ABT honorees at corner. They never forgot how to contribute.

TA Jr., who was the 3rd/4th LB in his position group, was lost for the season. IU had 3rd stringers play some snaps, to give 2nd string starters a blow. In general, I think, ‘tired‘ or other ‘underperformance’ is perhaps better explained by the reduced level of talent on the field. (Jerome Johnson and Jamar Johnson were sorely missed when the injuries piled up).

Not only that, but 3 and out after 3 and out coupled with horrible punts from our true freshman last year at times put our defense at a disadvantage.

Statistically speaking, and I'm going off memory here, we weren't that far off yards allowed from the previous year. Where we really struggled was we didn't get any turnovers last year, which also put us in a bind to go with all the injuries we had.

Last year was a struggle all around.

I think it’s more the outcome of the accumulated injuries creating shortened rotations, especially at corner.
Two of the injured returning players will be former ABT honorees at corner. They never forgot how to contribute.

TA Jr., who was the 3rd/4th LB in his position group, was lost for the season. IU had 3rd stringers play some snaps, to give 2nd string starters a blow. In general, I think, ‘tired‘ or other ‘underperformance’ is perhaps better explained by the reduced level of talent on the field. (Jerome Johnson and Jamar Johnson were sorely missed when the injuries piled up).
The injuries didn't explain all the lack of playing by players from 2020 that contributed ie Miller, BonHomme, etc.

Utterly stupid. Congratulations. Firing our way to the top has proven to be an effective strategy at IU for the last 25 years - of course we always "get better" when we do that.
We should employ the Cincinnati, Louisville, and now Kentucky
strategy for a successful football program, I have no idea how
they do it but it seems to work.

UK Hired Bob Stoops’ brother … who rebuilt the Defense first and ginned up a running game.

Cincinatti Hired Luke Fickel, who left tO$U after being passed over as the next O$U head coach.
Luke also beefed up the defense and ginned up a running game

This spring for IU was about … rebuilding key defense losses and ginning up a running game.

We’ll have another head to head with UC in Sept.
We’ll get to see who UC plays at QB and other key losses, and find out if IU achieved parity this season.

Cincy and UK are both taking advantage of OSU recruiting nationally, both rosters are loaded with Ohio kids. These are kids that MSU had previously got, they seem to be focused on the portal more. Vince Morrow and Stoops have strong ties to the state and Ohio hs coaches as does Fickell at UC.

2) Starting OTs look big enough … but need to upgrade their play from last season … and play hungry. I hope Bell has gets to OL to fire off on the snap count, and take it to the DL. Getting the DL to engage with their hands, clears passing lanes for RPOs.
#1 key to me this year is the entire OL. The only reason I'm posting is because I read an article the other day from the daily about CTA and his work with the OL. Here is a quote:

“I’ve been really hard on this group throughout the whole offseason, in the weight room, in our workout sessions, team and agility runs, and all the things we’ve done with that group in just trying to develop more toughness there,”

CTA obviously realizes the teams biggest weakness and seems to be all over it according to the quote. That gives me some hope.

#2 is the defensive play calling. We went from a great disguised, blitz happy, gambling defense, to the most conservative bunch of BS I have ever seen. Good Riddance Warren and don't let the door hit ya. How can you roll in with ALL the experience we had coming back, watch film, and then go vanilla every damn game? Thank Gawd Allen is back to calling plays.

Anyways there is hope. I hope :)

What I like best about this upcoming season is finding out how all the coaching changes have worked out and looking at the increased competition in certain positions improves the play on the field. Coach Allen has revamped the defensive staff and offensive staff from last season. IU has added RB competition along with QB and WR competition. Looking at the defense, competition was increased at DL and LB positions plus our kickers are forced to deal with new kickers that challenge them.

The team this coming season will be much different than last season's team. I want to see how the new IUFB team performs this season against teams we lost to last season. I anticipate IU will have a winning season in 2022 but time will tell if that is true or not.

Simply moving on from Sheridan to Bell has to be equivalent of 1 is to 5. Sheridan was overwhelmed once Penix proved not ready to carry the day. I imagine his offensive meetings became shallow and ineffective. He did not possess the experience to reset the margins establishing success. Without confident positive QB NS is nothing more than he is now under DeBoer, a TE coach.

Reactions: 76-1 and Indianaftw
Simply moving on from Sheridan to Bell has to be equivalent of 1 is to 5. Sheridan was overwhelmed once Penix proved not ready to carry the day. I imagine his offensive meetings became shallow and ineffective. He did not possess the experience to reset the margins establishing success. Without confident positive QB NS is nothing more than he is now under DeBoer, a TE coach.
I'm very interested to see what Penix can do at Washington with Deboer. Deboer was an amazing play caller...Penix should thrive out west.

Last edited:
What I like best about this upcoming season is finding out how all the coaching changes have worked out and looking at the increased competition in certain positions improves the play on the field. Coach Allen has revamped the defensive staff and offensive staff from last season. IU has added RB competition along with QB and WR competition. Looking at the defense, competition was increased at DL and LB positions plus our kickers are forced to deal with new kickers that challenge them.

The team this coming season will be much different than last season's team. I want to see how the new IUFB team performs this season against teams we lost to last season. I anticipate IU will have a winning season in 2022 but time will tell if that is true or not.
I hope you are right, but i fear the the portal is just a “quit machine” and competition is a thing of the past.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT