ADVERTISEMENT

How would you grade the B1G team additions...

Maybe, but IU will be the first one out. Remember, it'll be up to Fox/ESPN. Don't kid yourselves, IU is the LAST on the totem pole. By far.
It depends on who the networks deem as viewer worthy. In basketball we're fine, in fb. Not so much

It depends on who the networks deem as viewer worthy. In basketball we're fine, in fb. Not so much

We’ll be in another conference in bball or an independent.
Hell, the conference realignment could see a ND situation where football is on its own and bball plays within a conference.

Reactions: BayernFan
No we won’t. IU has been in the conference for over a century.

Money talks and centuries walk.

Nobody in the Big Ten would give two shits about IU and being supposedly grandfathered in. If there is better money opportunities than IU, don’t think for a second that IU can’t be kicked to the curb by the conference. The university is swimming in a big pond with even bigger fish. IU (along with about 3-4 other universities in the conference) can be shown the door at any time. IU needs the conference much more than the conference needs IU.

We (the Big 10) slow walked the Rose Bowl exclusivity along with the PAC12, so they weren’t alone there. Their issues are rooted in time zone limitations that make televising their games less appealing to those in the eastern and central regions of the country. Early starts don’t work and late kicks play to a dwindling audience. All of that adds up to fewer eyeballs and less leverage with television and media providers.
Gotta disagree a bit. Early starts are welcomed here. Bars are packed for NFL and NCAA here in the West. I am a happy camper by 9 am on Saturday’s and Sunday’s when football is on. The rub is definitely on the East coast fans. Of that, I agree, but the West will love it. I know I do.

I assume you meant Don James, not Dan James, but I agree with your larger point. Sandusky and Nasser were the perpetrators of evil deeds, not PSU, not JoePa, not MSU, not their administrators, none of their fans. And at UW, it wasn’t Don James, but it was some of his coaches, boosters and players . . .

Paterno looked the other way and deserved to be fired. A former player who was a graduate assistant coach reported the incident to Paterno who then handed it off to a couple of other administrators and then he put his head in the sand. Basically Penn State University collectively did nothing and everybody copped it's not my job defense.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Gotta disagree a bit. Early starts are welcomed here. Bars are packed for NFL and NCAA here in the West. I am a happy camper by 9 am on Saturday’s and Sunday’s when football is on. The rub is definitely on the East coast fans. Of that, I agree, but the West will love it. I know I do.
But the football that’s on early is back East, not in the West, and the later starts happen as the rest of the country is headed to bed. It’s a smaller television window, and it definitely impacts overall ratings.

Paterno looked the other way and deserved to be fired. A former player who was a graduate assistant coach reported the incident to Paterno who then handed it off to a couple of other administrators and then he put his head in the sand. Basically Penn State University collectively did nothing and everybody copped it's not my job defense.
No need to rehash this stuff here, but those aren’t the facts. It’s why their massive punishment was rescinded.

Money talks and centuries walk.

Nobody in the Big Ten would give two shits about IU and being supposedly grandfathered in. If there is better money opportunities than IU, don’t think for a second that IU can’t be kicked to the curb by the conference. The university is swimming in a big pond with even bigger fish. IU (along with about 3-4 other universities in the conference) can be shown the door at any time. IU needs the conference much more than the conference needs IU.
The Big Ten, as it is currently doing, is expanding to increase revenues. It doesn’t need to kick anyone out. The conference has plenty of money and will bring in even more now. It’s not like IU isn’t trying anymore to be competitive in football.

I feel bad for Wazzu, Oregon St, Cal and Stanford. What becomes of them? I’m assuming there’s still a chance that Stanford and possibly Cal could get a B1G invite but think of the damage this will be done to the athletic departments of those schools.

Go read hardcore husky if you think you’ll enjoy having west coasters here .. already posting tweets about how two teams have to go between us, you guys, Maryland and Rutgers.

Like I told them.. a 2021 Oregon state team that beat them and USC lost to a Purdue team that went 7-4 the rest of the way..

Like Nebraska they have no appreciation for how hard it is to win in the big ten.

I feel bad for Wazzu, Oregon St, Cal and Stanford. What becomes of them? I’m assuming there’s still a chance that Stanford and possibly Cal could get a B1G invite but think of the damage this will be done to the athletic departments of those schools.
I suspect both Cal and Stanford can choose to join, but at a substantially reduced payout (even less than UW and UO will get). It will still be more than they’ll ever make on their own so, if they want to remain in big time college sports, they’ll have little choice. Otherwise, maybe those two elite academic institutions will decide to de-emphasize sports. There’s a very solid argument that it would be a wise move to at least consider.

USC: A
UCLA: B-
Oregon: A-
Washington: B+

Penn State: A
Nebraska: C
Maryland: C-
Rutgers: F

The real danger here is that Oregon and Washington were brought it at a significantly reduced payout. I’ve read that it’s about 1/2 the payout but haven’t seen anything to verify. Is that for a number of years or permanently? If it’s permanently, the B1G has started permanent and unequal revenue distribution for the first time. Spells bad news for IU, Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern during the next round of contract negotiations.

Last edited:
USC: A
UCLA: B-
Oregon: A-
Washington: B+

The real danger here is that Oregon and Washington were brought it at a significantly reduced payout. I’ve read that it’s about 1/2 the payout but haven’t seen anything to verify. Is that for a number of years or permanently? If it’s permanently, the B1G has started permanent and unequal revenue distribution for the first time. Spells bad brews for IU, Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern during the next round of contract negotiations.
Exactly correct. The second you create unequal revenue distribution for the newbies you open the door to consider it for anyone else. This will become not only inevitable but an absolute necessity when the athletes demand a share of the pot. We need to commit to grow in football or face the reality that we’ll become marginalized.

We will eventually be removed along with about 2 others at some point unless we can match the athletic financial demands of being in the Big 10.
I understand the sentiment but in 2022 our football games had the 9th most viewers in the B1G. I'm certain the fact that we played Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan (all in the top nine for viewership) helped a lot. We'll have to see how the numbers settle out in the post-division world.

College FB Team Viewers

Go read hardcore husky if you think you’ll enjoy having west coasters here .. already posting tweets about how two teams have to go between us, you guys, Maryland and Rutgers.

Like I told them.. a 2021 Oregon state team that beat them and USC lost to a Purdue team that went 7-4 the rest of the way..

Like Nebraska they have no appreciation for how hard it is to win in the big ten.

It is funny to me how Nebraska fans behave. Since joining the B1G in 2011, Nebraska's conference winning percentage is 52.5%**. While admittedly ours is only 40%**, it includes playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State every year. If we had played their B1G West schedule, it is not a major logical leap to say our record would be closer to theirs. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the post-division era.

** I used an AI (LLM) source for this information. If it is wrong then please provide the correct information)

It is fortunate for IU to be in the BT right now, and I’m hoping the quality of the football team improves as a result of rising tides. One thought is that IU will struggle with overall wins and losses if they decide to scrap the three pre season games on the schedule and just go with a schedule of only BT games. No more Toledos or Ball States on the schedule to pad IU’s record when the better more profitable games will be BT games. Conversely, blowing up the current division alignment will absolutely help IU, provided they don’t put IU in the same division with Ohio St and Michigan again. I continue to believe the brutal yearly schedule has kept IU from a couple 6 win seasons.

How long before new, better football schools are considered for this conference to push out those existing members who aren’t performing? Never say never.
If I cannot say never then I will say a long time. And I know your mantra but IU (low FB &$and all) currently brings too much to the table to be a candidate for any potential boot.

Reactions: westvalleyIU
Oh yea. I don't recall the specifics but the FB team got 4 yrs probation as did the BB team and I believe all other sports could not participate in NCAA championships for 4 years. All for something that the FB supposedly did. That's about as close to a death penalty as you can get back then.
We got a 4 year all sports ban from postseason play.

In no way was membership in the Big Ten ever in question.

IU isn’t getting kicked out of the conference. When has that ever happened?
Well the University of Chicago Maroons did resign in 1946 when they could no longer keep up.
They were a power when Amos Alonzo Stagg coached. FB built much of their endowment fund.

If I cannot say never then I will say a long time. And I know your mantra but IU (low FB &$and all) currently brings too much to the table to be a candidate for any potential boot.
I agree. Sometimes we are so singularly focused on football as our self worth, that we discount IU having 55 gold medal Olympic winners, countless Silver and Bronze medals. National Championships in Soccer, swimming, diving, etc. A basketball team that rivals any in support worldwide. The Big10 network is strengthened by our involvement, network TV loves us ratings wise.
I get it, on the football field, which is the big draw for many, we are subpar, but we have been for years. We are not going anywhere. Every time Lilly King medals or wins a championship, IU is strengthened, same goes for IUWBB, etc.
I love football, and we have been doormats for a long time, but IU is collective, not singular. Duke is primarily singular. You don’t see their conference wanting them to leave based on football alone? Once again, we aren’t going anywhere.

Around 1960 for several years I believe.
I Montoya got this right. IU athletics directly bought airfare for scholarship athletes … and didn’t bother to make use of straw buyers. The all sports ban May have cost a BB tourney and swimming championship or two. And no track athletes would have been invited as individuals in their specialties. Makes today’s penalties look like chicken feed.

Last edited:

I think Nebby has learned how hard it is now … With the smallest in state population … Huskers never could count on in state talent To fill the roster. Not playing in Texas makes recruiting there harder.

I agree. Sometimes we are so singularly focused on football as our self worth, that we discount IU having 55 gold medal Olympic winners, countless Silver and Bronze medals. National Championships in Soccer, swimming, diving, etc. A basketball team that rivals any in support worldwide. The Big10 network is strengthened by our involvement, network TV loves us ratings wise.
I get it, on the football field, which is the big draw for many, we are subpar, but we have been for years. We are not going anywhere. Every time Lilly King medals or wins a championship, IU is strengthened, same goes for IUWBB, etc.
I love football, and we have been doormats for a long time, but IU is collective, not singular. Duke is primarily singular. You don’t see their conference wanting them to leave based on football alone? Once again, we aren’t going anywhere.

True…but those sports don’t bring in any money. The conference is football-centric, so every move is done with that focus, whether people here want to believe that or not.
Many of our new members (at least their fan bases) are asking when IU and a few others in the conference can be swapped out for other members. When the focus shifts to revenue sharing, IU will have a target on its back, regardless of what Lilly King or any of the Title IX heroes of the school offer.

True…but those sports don’t bring in any money. The conference is football-centric, so every move is done with that focus, whether people here want to believe that or not.
Many of our new members (at least their fan bases) are asking when IU and a few others in the conference can be swapped out for other members. When the focus shifts to revenue sharing, IU will have a target on its back, regardless of what Lilly King or any of the Title IX heroes of the school offer.
I understand. I was on staff at IUAD’s from the late 80’s through 2004. I bear witness to it. I guess I am a relic. To see the effort of Mallory, and yes Cam, Jerry, and all others, through my my AD’s including Clapacs, I don’t relent.

Many of our new members (at least toheir fan bases) are asking when IU and a few others in the conference can be swapped out for other members. When the focus shifts to revenue sharing, IU will have a target on its back, regardless of what Lilly King or any of the Title IX heroes of the school offer.
“Many of our new member’s fanbases” are asking when IU can be swapped out? Links? Dude you are starting to sound like you know who. Making shit up.

I understand. I was on staff at IUAD’s from the late 80’s through 2004. I bear witness to it. I guess I am a relic. To see the effort of Mallory, and yes Cam, Jerry, and all others, through my my AD’s including Clapacs, I don’t relent.
It will be one of the dilemmas when considering g a school like Stanford, which leads the NCAA in team and individual national championships. Does that alone make them worthy of admission? Should it?

Man, none of that matters. Literally.

Reactions: BayernFan
Ok. Name the date. Seriously, if what you say is what you mean, then put a stamp on it. If IU is thrown out of the Big10 based on football alone, then give evidence. I really don’t care about suppositions. IU will thrive.
I never said they’d get kicked out of the Big Ten. But none of our success in other sports has any bearing on anything. We’re only in the Big Ten because we’re already in the Big Ten. And that’s true of a big chunk of the conference.

Reactions: westvalleyIU
We got a 4 year all sports ban from postseason play.

In no way was membership in the Big Ten ever in question.
Of course IU stayed in the B10 we all know that but it might as well be a kick out for 4 years. My dad was not happy when that happened. Can't believe the Vans went to IU during that.

I understand the sentiment but in 2022 our football games had the 9th most viewers in the B1G. I'm certain the fact that we played Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan (all in the top nine for viewership) helped a lot. We'll have to see how the numbers settle out in the post-division world.

College FB Team Viewers
That IU provides guaranteed conference wins to O$U, UM, PSU, USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, UW, etc. may be the thing that keeps Indiana in the Big Ten. But if IU ever starts beating two or three of them......

None of that will matter except what matters to Fox/ESPN as they decide what schedules ought to be. If they decide that teams need to change conferences, that will be that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT