ADVERTISEMENT

How highly regarded are IU's assistants?

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
Buckley and Seltzer seem like solid guys, but IU appears to lack the flavor of the month, young recruiter you often see credited with getting top talent.

In order to raise the bar, does IU need a highly regarded recruiter?

Originally posted by DCGeneral:
Buckley and Seltzer seem like solid guys, but IU appears to lack the flavor of the month, young recruiter you often see credited with getting top talent.

In order to raise the bar, does IU need a highly regarded recruiter?

Don't necessarily see an issue here. As of now the staff is recruiting well.

What would you consider McLeod?

He seems to fit the bill as 'flavor of the month, young recruiter' doesn't he? He sure seems to have lots of good contacts in some areas that are known for producing great talent. Combine that with the fact he went to Duke and played in the NBA - I think he's your guy.

Not that the other 2 seem to be slouches by any means.

I like our staff - I hope Crean is able to keep them together for a while.

I meant no disrespect to McLeod, Buckley or Seltzer

My point is that someone like John Groce, formerly at OSU, is a classic case of a young, assistant who gets credit for getting really top talent before moving on.

McLeod could be great, but we haven't gotten an McDAA type yet (yes, one of ours came close). Not saying we won't get them, either, with the current staff. Just curious from his perspective if our assistants were considered "light" vis a vis other heavyweight programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT