ADVERTISEMENT

How do you deal with Islam?

All groups have people that commit atrocities, but only one religion promotes, expects, & celebrates its members committing mass murder.
You don’t have to convince me what is the best. It’s the West and Christianity. I was just refuting his argument because people use it often.

Reactions: jet812
Today is largely about political and ethnic disagreements between two groups of people who both want to occupy the same land, and the places where religion enters into it are largely modern - Wahhabism didn't arise until the 18th century, and the most radically religious versions of Zionism are even newer than that.
True, the main part of this conflict is a land conflict by political, ethnic groups. It is a long thread at this point, but I don't think I ever said religion was the core of the conflict. I have compared the IP conflict to the Native Americans and US and defined Israel's actions as a conquest. Religion is part of the ethnicities and area, which is tricky: Arabs are Muslim, Jews are a race and religion, the land the very much part of the 3 main religions, Zionism, etc.

Do you think both parties are capable of finally hammering out a settlement, or is the violence just going to continue forever?

I think the past is relevant in the Palestine/Israel discussion when someone wants to bring up 1948 as the beginning of time because conquer back and forth. They conquered those areas with violence. That is indisputable.

So when someone says the Jews stole the land, well...the bloody history of Mohammad's merry band of murderers kind of comes into the discussion.
Only for people trying to play a "who's more evil" game. What Israel did in 1948 is relevant because that Israel still exists, and the population they did it to (and who did things back to them) still exist. They are players in this little drama yet today. What Muhammad's followers did in the region is largely irrelevant because none of those people or polities are around any longer.

Only for people trying to play a "who's more evil" game. What Israel did in 1948 is relevant because that Israel still exists, and the population they did it to (and who did things back to them) still exist. They are players in this little drama yet today. What Muhammad's followers did in the region is largely irrelevant because none of those people or polities are around any longer.
When does it stop mattering? You’re getting ridiculous.

Reactions: DANC
I think the past is relevant in the Palestine/Israel discussion when someone wants to bring up 1948 as the beginning of time because conquer back and forth. They conquered those areas with violence. That is indisputable.

So when someone says the Jews stole the land, well...the bloody history of Mohammad's merry band of murderers kind of comes into the discussion.
Dude, like or hate what you say, you say it well. Mad props.

@IUCrazy2 @HoosierJimbo89

The problem with this debate is that both of you are incorrect in your assertions, but also ironically incorrect in your criticism of each other. History is complicated, and so, no, Islam is not a religion of violence, but no, it's not a religion of peace, either. Same with Christianity. Religions are complex social structures that reflect underlying cultural forces, both good and bad.

Take Iberia. The classic understanding is that it was conquered by the Muslims, who were stopped at the Battle of Tours, and then slowly reconquered by Christians until the last Muslims were defeated at Granada. That's 750 years of religious strife. Obviously it's not as simple as that, because if it were, there would be no people in Spain, because they all would have died a long time ago. Instead, the history is more complex. Yes, Muslim leaders conquered Christian cities, and Christian leaders conquered Muslim cities. Yes, some of those cities were depopulated (sometimes by force, but often just by people trying to avoid war). But for the most part, during those 750 years, Christians, Muslims, and Jews lived together in relative peace. They shared pursuits both academic and economic. They intermarried. Swore fealty to each other. When Muslim rulers were ascendant, Christians paid a special tax to them. When Christians became dominant, the local Muslim rulers became their vassals and paid them instead.

Iberia is just an example, but this pattern holds true for all of Europe and the Middle East. Some times were more violent than others, but for the most part, people were just trying to get by, and they lived and worked together when they could. The common perception of Muslims conquering the world and converting the masses at swordpoint is largely imaginary, just as the perception of the Crusaders as hellbent on exterminating Muslims in the Holy Land is also largely imaginary. Largely because those unflattering portraits are based on kernels of truth, but imaginary because those kernels honestly don't accurately tell the broader story.

Crazy is wrong to act like the Muslims were especially bad. They weren't. They were just acting like any other medieval society. But Jimbo is wrong to act like organized religion is the disease behind all this violence. It's not. Genghis Khan had one of the most cosmopolitan courts of the time, purposefully recruiting people of all ethnicities and cultures. It was a truly egalitarian government. And yet he killed more Muslims than all the Crusades combined, and if he doesn't have the record as the #1 Christian killer, it's only because he died while the Mongols were just barely starting to tease Europe.

Finally, none of this has much bearing on today. Today is largely about political and ethnic disagreements between two groups of people who both want to occupy the same land, and the places where religion enters into it are largely modern - Wahhabism didn't arise until the 18th century, and the most radically religious versions of Zionism are even newer than that.

That might be a bit overbroad and rambling, but I think it's enough for now. I'll be happy to go into more detail in any areas you have disagreements with.

I was thinking of this compared to India. Muslims and Hindus lived side-by-side for nearly a thousand years with no real problems. Before that, there had been some. But the day the Brits drew maps putting all Hindi in one area and all Muslims in another, all Hades broke out. Nearly 2 million were killed trying to migrate to their new country. For some reason, they could live next door. But the very idea the neighbor was moving to India/Pakistan, killing them was the only logical choice.

Religion itself is largely a passive societal structure put to use by active people for good or evil.
Couldn't agree more and I think we both agree, that it's far too easy to use for that purpose.

Who's to blame, what's at the core? That's a long and complicated list that goes way beyond religion. Western lawyers, guns, and money. British mapmakers. Western oil. Western politics. Opec, Soviets. Terrorists. Isreali policy. Human beings suck.

I'm sure that would go over just fine with the 13 million Turks who live in Thrace.

The Turks in Thrace are colonizers. Settlers. I believe "**** em" is the prevailing sentiment of the day about those types of people, no? That is somewhat tongue in cheek.

My main point being we are buying a whole lot of undesirable crap from Turkey when our main interest is that shipping lane. If push comes to shove I am willing to write them off if there are other ways to keep the Bosphorus...and there are.

The Turks in Thrace are colonizers. Settlers. I believe "**** em" is the prevailing sentiment of the day about those types of people, no? That is somewhat tongue in cheek.

My main point being we are buying a whole lot of undesirable crap from Turkey when our main interest is that shipping lane. If push comes to shove I am willing to write them off if there are other ways to keep the Bosphorus...and there are.
Only somewhat tongue in cheek? I hope it's entirely so, and just a bad joke.

Turkey is a bad friend. I'd love to get rid of them. But maybe we deal in realistic scenarios?

Only somewhat tongue in cheek? I hope it's entirely so, and just a bad joke.

Turkey is a bad friend. I'd love to get rid of them. But maybe we deal in realistic scenarios?

Somewhat of a joke and somewhat not. Listen, we have an agreement that we will run to the defense of the country where hanging those signs is not only considered a-okay, it is celebrated. That is literally Nazi shit. You would love to get rid of them? Well, why are they our "friends"? Because of their control of that strategic waterway. Should push come to shove and someone attack them, the ONLY thing I care about defending is that waterway. And should that hypothetically lead to the dissolution of Turkey and those 13 million people find themselves under the governance of a Greece or Bulgaria, why should I care about that any more than they care about the Kurds they currently occupy not having self determination?

And this is all a what if game at this point. So far Erdogan has just barely managed to toe the line where we still consider them allies but he has dipped his toe across that line on several occasions. As is the case in most of the Middle East, when the true Islamists get in control, things go to shit. Case in point, Turkey.

@IUCrazy2 @HoosierJimbo89

The problem with this debate is that both of you are incorrect in your assertions, but also ironically incorrect in your criticism of each other. History is complicated, and so, no, Islam is not a religion of violence, but no, it's not a religion of peace, either. Same with Christianity. Religions are complex social structures that reflect underlying cultural forces, both good and bad.

Take Iberia. The classic understanding is that it was conquered by the Muslims, who were stopped at the Battle of Tours, and then slowly reconquered by Christians until the last Muslims were defeated at Granada. That's 750 years of religious strife. Obviously it's not as simple as that, because if it were, there would be no people in Spain, because they all would have died a long time ago. Instead, the history is more complex. Yes, Muslim leaders conquered Christian cities, and Christian leaders conquered Muslim cities. Yes, some of those cities were depopulated (sometimes by force, but often just by people trying to avoid war). But for the most part, during those 750 years, Christians, Muslims, and Jews lived together in relative peace. They shared pursuits both academic and economic. They intermarried. Swore fealty to each other. When Muslim rulers were ascendant, Christians paid a special tax to them. When Christians became dominant, the local Muslim rulers became their vassals and paid them instead.

Iberia is just an example, but this pattern holds true for all of Europe and the Middle East. Some times were more violent than others, but for the most part, people were just trying to get by, and they lived and worked together when they could. The common perception of Muslims conquering the world and converting the masses at swordpoint is largely imaginary, just as the perception of the Crusaders as hellbent on exterminating Muslims in the Holy Land is also largely imaginary. Largely because those unflattering portraits are based on kernels of truth, but imaginary because those kernels honestly don't accurately tell the broader story.

Crazy is wrong to act like the Muslims were especially bad. They weren't. They were just acting like any other medieval society. But Jimbo is wrong to act like organized religion is the disease behind all this violence. It's not. Genghis Khan had one of the most cosmopolitan courts of the time, purposefully recruiting people of all ethnicities and cultures. It was a truly egalitarian government. And yet he killed more Muslims than all the Crusades combined, and if he doesn't have the record as the #1 Christian killer, it's only because he died while the Mongols were just barely starting to tease Europe.

Finally, none of this has much bearing on today. Today is largely about political and ethnic disagreements between two groups of people who both want to occupy the same land, and the places where religion enters into it are largely modern - Wahhabism didn't arise until the 18th century, and the most radically religious versions of Zionism are even newer than that.

That might be a bit overbroad and rambling, but I think it's enough for now. I'll be happy to go into more detail in any areas you have disagreements with.
Nice post. Don’t really disagree with much. But you miss the most salient point. Islam is not just a religion. It’s also a system for civil order and a system. for political and judicial power. Islam is an intensely vertical organization resting on its dogma. (Like North Korea). That system breeds intolerance which in turn leads to violence, both intrinsic and extrinsic. Israel is not like that. Christianity was arguably that way centuries ago. But I’d suggest that was more about Rome and Roman Catholicism than Christianity.

So long as Islam keeps its strong vertical standards of society, and the accompanying intolerance, there can never be Middle East peace. 2 States can’t work in that close environment.

So why are you suggesting the policies don't currently exist?
It is religion. We shouldn't kid ourselves that the middle east dyanmics are fundamentally a religious dispute as it exists NOW. Several clients of mine who are engineers and lebanese. Older gentlemen that come over from Lebanon after the war in 1977. One is Christian, one is Muslim. Both tell the same story of growing up in school having Jews, Chrisitans and Muslims in the same classes and it never bothered any of them. What changed?

Islam changed because we had goofy dopes issuing fatwa after fatwa and raising the stakes of Islamic fundamenetalism; Palestine dispute is a part cause; meddling outsiders like the invasion in Afghanistan didn't help; The U.S. successful efforts to reinstall the Shaw of Iran into power brought to power the Ayatollahs, where it is now a complete theocracy, which we know from history has been nothing more than a lightening rod for attrocities. Sunni/Shia disputes don't help either.

If you read the Qur'an, and I have, your first take is "well this is just a pastiche of Judiasm and Christianty." And you'd be right. Jesus is mentioned 30 plus times, and Mary is mentioned some 70 plus times, including the acceptance of the virgin birth. The Qur'an repeatedly acknowledges the old testatment stories in general, but describes the message now as being one that is corrupted. The problem now begins with the interpretation of the passages, which can be shaped various ways--not unlike Christian new testament passages. What makes Islam fundamentally different is that it makes the claim that is the final revelation and the only true law. That also makes it dangerous. Making it more dangerous is that it was written 100 years after Mohammed, an illiterate merchant, was to have received his revelation. Christianity suffers from the same issue. Mark was written somewhere around 70 AD (roughly 40 years after Jesus died); Matthew was written somewhere around 80 AD; Luke somewhere around 90 AD and John likely around 100 AD. The closest in time are 7 of Paul's letters, written sometime around 50 AD, but Paul didn't know Jesus and never references what Jesus said while he was alive. Interpretation of the New Testament has always been problematic.

The background is important, because it shapes the dynamics of today's world EVERYWHERE. Christianity has 2.4 bil followers (appx); and Islam has somewhere around 2.1 or 2.2 bil. That accounts for just over half of the world's population, and as usual, the funadmenetalists have the loudest and most impactful voices.

This background plays a signficant role the middle east. It played a role in the capture of United States sailors by the Barbary pirates out of Tripoli in the 1780s (referring to any non-muslim as "infidels"). It played a role in the Crusades and on and on.

Then there is the poverbial map redrawing that the major powers also engage. Post WW1 was a disaster; Post WW2 was a disaster--just leading to further conflicts. No different here. Both sides (Palestinians and Jews) can be simultaneously right, and both can be simulataneously wrong. Hamas actions were chickenspit. I have no troubles about Israel defending itself and being proactive in its defense. I don't want to hear the words "genocide" uttered from 35 year old women who haven't read a lick of history and somehow end up in congress. I also don't want to hear the old white guys babble on about

For me, I'm tired of the killing. Tired of watching young kids killed. Tired of the death and destruction and endless cycle of Ragnarock in middle east. There was a chance under Clinton to cut a deal--until there wasn't. Both Palestine and Israel deserve their own state.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, sine this is a place of discourse, hopefully all thoughts are welcome

Fir me, I'm tired of the killing. Tired of watching young kids killed. Tired of the death and destruction and endless cycle of Ragnarock in middle east. There was a chance under Clinton to cut a deal--until there wasn't. Both Palestine and Israel deserve their own state.
I feel the same way. The violence has solved nothing. Neither side is any closer to a total victory, and the leaders on both sides would rather kill civilians than work out the final details of peace. The closest Arab nations that originally went to war with Israel haven't fought them for almost 50 years.

I think any money given to either side, including the 4 billion the US gives Israel each year, needs to be conditioned on weekly settlement efforts. You didn't work it out this week? See you next week infinity until there is a settlement.

You don’t have to convince me what is the best. It’s the West and Christianity. I was just refuting his argument because people use it often.
Saying one religion is better than another is kind of like saying one outhouse smells better than another or contains less crap. There is a reason the 1A exists: religion would ruin democracy if it could.

Reactions: Mark Milton
The US won the land through conquest. The US took land from the Native Americans and conquered them. The US did treat Native Americans terribly. However, they created a truce by giving them land, money, equal citizenship, and basic democratic and human rights. Israel hasn't completed the conflict and achieved peace because they haven't completed this final task, and they will receive zero respect from me until they do.

5A: "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." When you take property from somebody, you compensate them. Israel needs to compensate Palestinians somehow, and they can do it with land that Jordan and Egypt have already provided. When people have a home, money, rights, and a decent standard of living, they calm down.
Let’s talk indigenous peoples then Jimbo. If that is your criteria for rightful ownership of land.

Let’s pull the thread back on the land today known as Israel/Gaza/ Judea & Samaria as far back as we can and figure out who the original occupiers and rightful heirs to the land are.

I’ll give you a hint. The land is called JUDEA and Sumira. The Jews were living there 2500 years before Muhammad started his shitty death cult.

It seems to me the only just solution would be the Palestinians offering some sort of compensation to the Israelis for their takeover and occupation of the land today known as the West Bank.

Last edited:
Let’s talk indigenous peoples then Jimbo. If that is your criteria for rightful ownership of land.

Let’s pull the thread back on the land today known as Israel/Gaza/ Judea & Samaria as far back as we can and figure out who the original occupiers and rightful heirs to the
land are.

I’ll give you a hint. The land is called JUDEA and Sumira. The Jews were living there 2500 years before Muhammad started his shitty death cult.
That would be a mischaracterization of my position. I have been pretty clear about conquest. Israel won a war and isn't going anywhere, similar to any other nation that has engaged in conquest, including the US. However, compensation is necessary for the indigenous group and final settlement. This is what the US did for the Native Americans and Israel needs to do for the Palestinians.

If you want to be anti-Islam and roll around in the muck of religious conflict, then I am sorry to see that. Time to evolve, my friend. You are part of the problem.

That would be a mischaracterization of my position. I have been pretty clear about conquest. Israel won a war and isn't going anywhere, similar to any other nation that has engaged in conquest, including the US. However, compensation is necessary for the indigenous group and final settlement. This is what the US did for the Native Americans and Israel needs to do for the Palestinians.

If you want to be anti-Islam and roll around in the muck of religious conflict, then I am sorry to see that. Time to evolve, my friend. You are part of the problem.
I agree. Palestinians in the West Bank need to compensate Israel for the land they now occupy.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89

Human history is long Jimbo. This history of conquest is long as well. You want to draw an arbitrary line at 1949 and I'm not sure why.

The Jews were there first. That is a matter of historical fact. By your logic, they are completely within their right to expel every single Palestinian colonizer from the region, or they should expect some sort of compensation from Gazans and Palestinians in the West Bank.

It's your shitty logic. You need to own how shitty it is.

You told me to provide evidence, and I did! Let me know when you have read and want to talk about one of the articles or even just the topic addressed.

Let's start with the PM's statement I posted: what do you think of that? Do you believe that Israel has created an apartheid?

Israel has killed 6,000 Palestinians since Hamas' actions. You agree that the extremist parts of both sides suck. Why is it okay for Israel to kill 6,000 people?
The number killed is being provided by Hamas. Why would you believe it without question? The number is almost certainly much lower and it includes Hamas terrorists who Israel is targeting.

You don’t understand a simple concept. Deliberately targeting civilians is a crime. Hamas terrorists committed heinous unforgivable crime. If a military deliberately targets and kills civilians it’s a war crime. When a military is targeting Hamas terrorists who are choosing to be near innocent civilians (sometimes not so innocent) and some of the citizens are killed in the process it’s very unfortunate and tragic, but it’s not a war crime.

Every non-Hamas citizen killed during Israel’s retaliation is in actuality Hamas’ fault. Israel wouldn’t be attacking Hamas if it weren’t for Hamas’ terrorists attacks and kidnapping on the 7th.

Not according to the Jews themselves, it isn't. Even their own mythology says they stole the land from someone else.
Well Goat, when the Canaanites return, the Israelites will have to offer them just compensation or vacate the land. As is the rule when history is boiled down to colonizer/ colonized, conquerer/ conquered & oppressor/ oppressed.

If you think that mindset is extremely stupid. I would agree with you. But it also animates modern day progressivism, so I would ask you get your own house in order please.

The number killed is being provided by Hamas. Why would you believe it without question? The number is almost certainly much lower and it includes Hamas terrorists who Israel is targeting.

You don’t understand a simple concept. Deliberately targeting civilians is a crime. Hamas terrorists committed heinous unforgivable crime. If a military deliberately targets and kills civilians it’s a war crime. When a military is targeting Hamas terrorists who are choosing to be near innocent civilians (sometimes not so innocent) and some of the citizens are killed in the process it’s very unfortunate and tragic, but it’s not a war crime.

Every non-Hamas citizen killed during Israel’s retaliation is in actuality Hamas’ fault. Israel wouldn’t be attacking Hamas if it weren’t for Hamas’ terrorists attacks and kidnapping on the 7th.
Do you hear yourself? How do two wrongs make a right? It is ok for one side to kill civilians, but not ok for the other? Israel always ends up killing more Palestinians in the violence cycle. How about both sides just stop killing innocent people? The mental gymnastics people will go through to justify killing women and children: Jesus Christ. 10 commandments, anybody: thou shall not kil?

When you round people up into a pen, restrict their movements, and toss a grenade in the pen, you are going to kill people. As Donnie Baker says, you don't need Einstein to do that math.

Last edited:
Well Goat, when the Canaanites return, the Israelites will have to offer them just compensation or vacate the land. As is the rule when history is boiled down to colonizer/ colonized, conquerer/ conquered & oppressor/ oppressed.

If you think that mindset is extremely stupid. I would agree with you. But it also animates modern day progressivism, so I would ask you get your own house in order please.
If that's the logic, then the Jews can't really justify demanding anything from the Palestinians; they need to address the Romans.

And I agree, the entire exercise is stupid. I hoped my response to you made it clear how stupid I find it.

At least the Palestinians are complaining about the actual group of people who (allegedly) wronged them, instead of pointing to something that happened millennia ago.

If that's the logic, then the Jews can't really justify demanding anything from the Palestinians; they need to address the Romans.

And I agree, the entire exercise is stupid. I hoped my response to you made it clear how stupid I find it.

At least the Palestinians are complaining about the actual group of people who (allegedly) wronged them, instead of pointing to something that happened millennia ago.
Aren't they still complaining about 1948?

Israel always ends up killing more Palestinians in the violence cycle.
This is intended to be and hopefully will be the end of the cycle. That's what you don't seem to be grasping. The diplomatic fallout once Hamas, is degraded to the point that they can no longer threaten Israel is not clear at the moment. What to do with the remaining Gazan's, is also unclear.

But one thing is for certain. Israel will have a large say in the security situation that comes out of this conflict, and it wont be one that allows them to threatened from Gaza ever agin. So I would stop the bitch, moaning and complaining. A lot of Gazans are about to die. And that is the price of war.

Maybe one day society will advance to the point where war is no longer necessary. But it's not today. You are not more civilized or empathetic because you choose to ignore reality.

This is intended to be and hopefully will be the end of the cycle. That's what you don't seem to be grasping. The diplomatic fallout once Hamas, is degraded to the point that they can no longer threaten Israel is not clear at the moment. What to do with the remaining Gazan's, is also unclear.

But one thing is for certain. Israel will have a large say in the security situation that comes out of this conflict, and it wont be one that allows them to threatened from Gaza ever agin. So I would stop the bitch, moaning and complaining. A lot of Gazans are about to die. And that is the price of war.

Maybe one day society will advance to the point where war is no longer necessary. But it's not today. You are not more civilized or empathetic because you choose to ignore reality.
How many times have you been banned today? The Crusades aren't over if you "believe" they aren't: go on over to Israel and do some killing in the name of, psycho. Once again: time to evolve, for you are the problem. What you are talking about is Genocide: Israel will be no different from the Nazis at that point.

I'll bet the violence "this time" ends the conflict. It's been going on for 80 years, but I'll bet the violence will end it this time.

Religious zealotry is like a Hydra. Chop one head off, and another grows. There will always be a “Hamas” because there will always be the desire to seek out infidels and apostates. There will always be a perceived wrong to right. The mujahideen of Afghanistan become Al Qaeda, which in turn spawned ISIS; the Muslim Brotherhood is now something else, and on and on. So, this not the end game—just simply a never ending loop until two societies figure it out. These events will spawn more mujahideen (and I’m not critical of Israel, but rather the simple concept that this is what always happens).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT