ADVERTISEMENT

How do transgender women (biological men) live with themselves . . .

1.4 percent of kids age 13-17 are transgender. And only a fraction of that are biological boys that are now girls (some would be girls that are now boys). And only a fraction of those are actual athletes in sports.

An estimate from last year guesses that there are only around 100 transgender athletes that are biologically boys playing on girls teams across the entire United States.

So this issue is rather overblown.

However, while I think transgenders should have rights, I would think any that want to play sports should do so based on their biological gender and not based on gender identity.
The issue is not overblown. Only a very small percentage of all people manage to become an elite athlete. If one becomes an elite athlete only because it’s a boy competing as a girl, it’s a big deal.

If I was Lia Thomas, I'd forfeit that championship. It's just a travesty that (s)he won it at all. I was a fair to middling boys' swimmer, but I could have qualified for the state championship if I was allowed to compete against the girls. That's absolutely not right.

Reactions: NPT
The issue is not overblown. Only a very small percentage of all people manage to become an elite athlete. If one becomes an elite athlete only because it’s a boy competing as a girl, it’s a big deal.

And as I said, they should be competing with their biological gender.

But the issue doesn't come up in real life as often as it comes up on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
If she had that kind of honor, she wouldn't have competed in the first place.
That's true. I couldn't help but picture high school self deciding to go for a state championship by pulling on a female swimsuit and declaring I was female. Picture a West German woman with more chest hair . . . Nope, don't do that! 😮

Last edited:
Which I why you should call him what he is and not play his stupid games.

Point, laugh, and ridicule would be better for him than going along with the charade

Not my style. I'm pretty much a Live and Let Live kind of guy, even with freaks and misfits. I don't fit in well myself very often, so I have some sympathy for these people.

Naw, I'll call someone whatever they want (he or she, but not they).
So Actually NOT whatever THEY want, but whatever you are OK with calling them.
Your, either him/her, qualifier is about 5% of that society. That 5% are the cream of the yogurt, Not the really eff'ed up 95% other.
And Mario Andretti is driving a Indy 500 car this year. "Mario is already slowing", as announced from the pagoda.

Naw, I'll call someone whatever they want (he or she, but not they).

So Actually NOT whatever THEY want, but whatever you are OK with calling them.

My objection to calling someone "they" is grammatical. Ironically, I blew that in my own post quoted above. Should have been "I'll call someone whatever he wants..." "Someone" is singular, calling for "he", not "they". All this woke language shit even catches grammar Nazis like me on occasion.

My objection to calling someone "they" is grammatical. Ironically, I blew that in my own post quoted above. Should have been "I'll call someone whatever he wants..." "Someone" is singular, calling for "he", not "they". All this woke language shit even catches grammar Nazis like me on occasion.
They has been an acceptable singular pronoun for centuries. Shakespeare used it.

What I find interesting is that you (and I sometimes) think our notion of decorum says we should use a person’s preferred pronouns so as to not offend and then apply that rule in writing on a message board the person will never see.

They has been an acceptable singular pronoun for centuries. Shakespeare used it.
It’s not what we’ve been taught, it’s not how we commonly use that pronoun, and it’s imprecise. It’s nothing but a lie to say we were taught “they” can be singular in modern English. And I was a straight “A” kid. Using “they” as a singular pronoun adds ambiguity and confusion and it’s unnecessary. I have no problem using he or she, as the person prefers, but will never use they as a singular pronoun. This goes for my nephew who was formerly my niece, and my cousin who was a male until he went to PU, and now identifies as a woman. Neither gets a they or them from me and they (there are two of them, so they is correct) know it. If they are together, they will get a “they.” ;)

Imagine a sniper given the order to take out a terrorist leader with a precise shot even if within the vicinity of others. If the order says, “Kill Mr. Terrorist. Mr. Terrrorist likes to travel in convoys of women and children and if you can kill Mr. Terrorist you are to kill them.” The sniper better have a lot of rounds to carry out that order.

Last edited:
It’s not what we’ve been taught, it’s not how we’re commonly used that pronoun and it’s imprecise. It’s nothing but a lie to say we were taught “they” can be singular in modern English. And I was a straight “A” kid. Using “they” as a singular pronoun adds ambiguity and confusion and it’s unnecessary. I have no problem using he or she, as the person prefers, but will never use they as a singular pronoun. This goes for my nephew who was formerly my niece, and my cousin who was a male until he went to PU, and now identifies as a woman. Neither gets a they or them from me and they (there are two of them, so they is correct) know it. If they are together, they will get a “they.” ;)

Imagine a sniper given the order to take out a terrorist leader with a precise shot even if within the vicinity of others. If the order says, “Kill Mr. Terrorist. Mr. Terrrorist likes to travel in convoys of women and children and if you can kill Mr. Terrorist you are to kill them.” The sniper better have a lot of rounds to carry out that order.
You might have been taught wrong.

Were you taught not to start a sentence with a conjunction? Not to end one with a preposition? I was. And my teacher was great. But she was wrong.

It’s not what we’ve been taught, it’s not how we’re commonly used that pronoun and it’s imprecise. It’s nothing but a lie to say we were taught “they” can be singular in modern English. And I was a straight “A” kid. Using “they” as a singular pronoun adds ambiguity and confusion and it’s unnecessary. I have no problem using he or she, as the person prefers, but will never use they as a singular pronoun. This goes for my nephew who was formerly my niece, and my cousin who was a male until he went to PU, and now identifies as a woman. Neither gets a they or them from me and they (there are two of them, so they is correct) know it. If they are together, they will get a “they.” ;)

Great example. Confusion is the test, not what you were taught.

We went over this a year ago. I gave examples of several posters using the singular they. The key was always that they used it in a way that made sense in context and could be understood. They didn't even realize they were doing it, in fact.

Edit: that said, normal use of singular they is for indeterminate gender. Someone with a gender demanding use of they/them is a bit much.

Last edited:
You might have been taught wrong.

Were you taught not to start a sentence with a conjunction? Not to end one with a preposition? I was. And my teacher was great. But she was wrong.
So I’ve been taught wrong from elementary school through undergrad and post graduate school (two masters) and war college? I think not. “They” is plural. If we want to play this silly word game, what’s the plural of “they?”

Reactions: UncleMark
So I’ve been taught wrong from elementary school through undergrad and post graduate school (two masters) and war college? I think not. “They” is plural. If we want to play this silly word game, what’s the plural of “they?”
Yes, you've been taught wrong. Most of us were. They is both singular and plural, just like you.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The confusion comes from forcing a singular “they” on a society that has always used it as a plural pronoun. Preferred pronouns of he and she for trans men and women is OK and makes sense. A preferred pronoun of a singular “they” is a step too far and just angers others, all for some tiny fraction of people that have decided to force this on society and the larger portion of liberals that want to perpetually upset societal norms. Screw them. This guy isn’t going to play that silly game.

Yes, you've been taught wrong. Most of us were. They is both singular and plural, just like you.
You is an example where many understand it’s a singular and can be plural. However, it’s also why “you all,” “y’all,” “you guys,” and “youz” (sp) are so often used to remove ambiguity, right?

Who the hell speaks or writes like Shakespeare today? If I decided to speak like Shakespeare at the next family Thanksgiving gathering, I’d be sent to get a mental health assessment. Not that they don’t have reasons to do that already. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
We went over this a year ago. I gave examples of several posters using the singular they. The key was always that they used it in a way that made sense in context and could be understood. They didn't even realize they were doing it, in fact.

Edit: that said, normal use of singular they is for indeterminate gender. Someone with a gender demanding use of they/them is a bit much.
I agree with your edit.

You is an example where many understand it’s a singular and can be plural. However, it’s also why “you all,” “y’all,” “you guys,” and “youz” (sp) are so often used to remove ambiguity, right?
Funny when we did this a year ago CO.H pointed out that some southerners use "they all." So yes, sometimes you need to remove ambiguity. And should whenever necessary.

Who the hell speaks or writes like Shakespeare today? If I decided to speak like Shakespeare at the next family Thanksgiving gathering, I’d be sent to get a mental health assessment. Not that they don’t have reasons to do that already. ;)
“Where da fvck I be?”

All this grammarizing. . . .

Can’t even get people to say/write: The player who committed the foul.

Not: The player that committed the foul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT