ADVERTISEMENT

How can it be legal?

Everyone knows that Iran is your nationality of preference. I understand that, but you apparently believe that each and every US sanction and policy against Iran is undeserved. Iran has a long history of violence against Americans that have largely gone unpunished. They also have a long history of sponsoring terrorism, mostly against Israel, but not always against Israel. If you think that House Democrats will be soon sponsoring legislation favorable to Iran, you are seriously deluded.

None of that is remotely relevant to what I'm referring to, but thanks for playing. Fyi, I have never been to Iran, nor do I plan to travel there for the foreseeable future. I am quite satisfied with my nationality and would not trade it. I have no interest in gaining Iranian nationality. Otoh, you like many neo-cons appear to be obsessed with Iran.

None of that is remotely relevant to what I'm referring to, but thanks for playing. Fyi, I have never been to Iran, nor do I plan to travel there for the foreseeable future. I am quite satisfied with my nationality and would not trade it. I have no interest in gaining Iranian nationality. Otoh, you like many neo-cons appear to be obsessed with Iran.
It's all relevant. You might not have been to Iran, but you are all about Iran here. You know it so don't deny it. Iran has been responsible for 100s of US military and civilian deaths in Iraq (and also Lebanon and Syria) and have largely been given a pass to date. If thinking that the Iranian government should suffer consequences for this makes me a neo-con, sign me up.

In the overall numbers, one issue is specialization. A lot of businesses can cross train pretty easily. It is difficult to imagine someone being an air traffic controller today, answering tax law questions tomorrow, and treating a wounded bobcat on Wednesday.
I can't imagine that at all, actually, unless it means that people can be shuttled in and out of low end jobs.

There's now starting to be work saying that during the Great Recession and the long recovery there never was any skills mismatch. Ever. Unemployment rose because demand plummeted, then employment returned slowly because so did demand. This is exactly what textbook macroeconomics would predict.

As we fell into the Great Recession, employers saw growing pools of applicants, and they rationally responded by raising their standards to hire anyone. (Which is also what textbook macro would predict.) Then they reported that they couldn't find anyone to meet their (higher) standards. Which was as irrelevant as it was true. Because it was the macroeconomy driving their standards, and not their standards driving the macroeconomy.

By all means let's help people improve their skills. But when our macroeconomy is crushing ordinary people, it's not good enough to say we need better ordinary people. We need a better macroeconomy. But this would require us to shed a lot of bad instincts about what the right answer is likely to be.

Last edited:
It's all relevant. You might not have been to Iran, but you are all about Iran here. You know it so don't deny it. Iran has been responsible for 100s of US military deaths in Iraq (and also Lebanon and Syria) and have largely been given a pass to date. If thinking that the Iranian government should suffer consequences for this makes me a neo-con, sign me up.

How many died on 9/11 at the hands of our "ally"?

How many innocent civilians has the "war on terror" slaughtered? At latest count, over 1 million.

The Iranian regime is a terrible actor, but there are a lot of "bad actors" out there. One of those actors recently stole a presidential election... But Iran!

And let me guess, you are a huge fan of John Bolton.

Fyi, I support punishing the Iranian regime for their actions. But our approach is totally wrong and not even handed.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...lions-pressure-sanctions-190112173559995.html

And you think the regime is suffering? They love the current sanctions. They enrich themselves during times of sanction.

How many died on 9/11 at the hands of our "ally"?

How many innocent civilians has the "war on terror" slaughtered? At latest count, over 1 million.

The Iranian regime is a terrible actor, but there are a lot of "bad actors" out there. One of those actors recently stole a presidential election... But Iran!

And let me guess, you are a huge fan of John Bolton.

Fyi, I support punishing the Iranian regime for their actions. But our approach is totally wrong and not even handed.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...lions-pressure-sanctions-190112173559995.html

And you think the regime is suffering? They love the current sanctions. They enrich themselves during times of sanction.
You are driven by emotion. Dial that back and we could talk.

I think I understand now. She was just adding on to my post about furloughed workers not being able to pay bills. I asked a couple of questions in the post she replied to and yes didn't seem to make sense as an answer and it confused me. Sorry Zeke.

Aloha is a good guy to have a drink or three with. He's not a stiff and he can tell a joke better than most I know. I guess most of us are different than we seem here.
Oh good. I thought I was responding wrong again, which sometimes happens. Thanks for the help. After that sucky IU game, I’m not sure I’m seeing straight yet. Clang, clang, clang.

Have to assume that the messes at the airports will finally be the thing that breaks Trump on his dumbass shutdown.

Dulles closes screening lanes, lines sprawl in Atlanta as shutdown strains air travel

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/14/government-shutdown-tsa-airports-lines-1081641

My next flight isn't until first week of Feb....hopefully this charade will be over by then. Sorry for you people traveling this week.
I had a friend in line for security for two hours in Atlanta. She was on national news. Sorry, another friend story. Missed her flight and she was on her way to a major convention.

I had a friend in line for security for two hours in Atlanta. She was on national news. Sorry, another friend story. Missed her flight and she was on her way to a major convention.

Pffft. That's not a problem. Why didn't they just get to the airport 12 hours early???!

vbg.

Iran has a long history of violence against Americans that have largely gone unpunished..
Ever wonder why? The Brits started it. BP (AIOC) to be exact. US didn't really get involved until the 50s. Brit involvement started with the tea trade but expanded with petroleum. It's the same old story. Ripping off foreign nations for their commodities and then supporting puppet tyrants tends to create enemies.

Look! We have our very own Onion parody, right here on the WC. Thanks for the daily laughs!

Reagan and the republicans did a masterful job of convincing the rubes that government just doesn’t work. Reagan was just a spokesmodel for the US oligarchs who didn’t want to be regulated anymore and who didn’t want workers to have any power.

Reactions: sglowrider
Oh good. I thought I was responding wrong again, which sometimes happens. Thanks for the help. After that sucky IU game, I’m not sure I’m seeing straight yet. Clang, clang, clang.
That was a bad game.

Now they're calling back furloughed IRS workers. Not going to pay them though.

https://apnews.com/b30c59dfb53a48cea00109a7462bd1e0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service is recalling about 46,000 of its employees furloughed by the government shutdown — nearly 60 percent of its workforce — to handle tax returns and pay out refunds. The employees won’t be paid during the shutdown.

With the official start of the tax filing season coming Jan. 28, the Trump administration has promised that taxpayers owed refunds will be paid on time, despite the disruption in government services caused by the partial shutdown now in its fourth week.

There had been growing concern that the shutdown would delay refunds worth hundreds of billions of dollars because the money wouldn’t be available for them from Congress. But last week, the administration said customary shutdown policies will be reversed to make the money available to pay refunds on time.​

Now they're calling back furloughed IRS workers. Not going to pay them though.

https://apnews.com/b30c59dfb53a48cea00109a7462bd1e0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service is recalling about 46,000 of its employees furloughed by the government shutdown — nearly 60 percent of its workforce — to handle tax returns and pay out refunds. The employees won’t be paid during the shutdown.

With the official start of the tax filing season coming Jan. 28, the Trump administration has promised that taxpayers owed refunds will be paid on time, despite the disruption in government services caused by the partial shutdown now in its fourth week.

There had been growing concern that the shutdown would delay refunds worth hundreds of billions of dollars because the money wouldn’t be available for them from Congress. But last week, the administration said customary shutdown policies will be reversed to make the money available to pay refunds on time.​
I predict a whole lot of sick leave at the IRS. Going to be an epidemic.

nervous.gif
nervous.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT