ADVERTISEMENT

How bout that stock market?

UMMMMMMMMM
backing during the pandemic and Dem free cheese. I made a few post about what happens WHEN home prices bubble burst.
As I recall, multiple left “economic” posters here assured me that could never happen, and I was simply MAGA bot.

Well….. Johnny 5 needs power now!!!! And FVCK all the Dem economic Marxist.
Just how much cough syrup do you drink in a week?

The housing market is typically a supply and demand thing. It is cyclical--some people say every 18 years-definitely a pattern regardless of who is in the white house. There are other factors. High interest rate will impact prospective home buyers. I'm sure a host of other things, but these things impact supply and demand.
Again I think you answered something other than the topic.
When home prices drastically fall (for any reason) and people become so totally “fixed in place with no mobility” because they can’t sell without a huge loss (no equity and no 6 figure cash reserves), what happens to the financial market?

Lawyers are dreadful business owners. Trust me, I'm doo doo on my best day

When my wife ran her United Way charity, providing medical equipment and home modifications to the disabled, she had a number of clients in Bloomington's high end areas on the SE side. Mostly widows with a nice house, nice car, no income other than SS, and no savings.

Reactions: larsIU
Nice read, but I think that answers a different question than what I’m curious about. Which is 1) how can a farm business pay that much in cash rent 2) if a farm business can’t pay for a meager (example) 3% return on your dirt investment, HTF is it worth buying at such stoooopid prices.
I know farmers just love working for free, basically, but that will only last so long.
The only way to do it is to have a handle on your fixed costs and an idea of what the variable input costs will be, then look at what the yields have been on similar ground and what the market expectations are.

The larger the operation, the lower your fixed costs/acre as you spread it across the additional ground you're renting, assuming the extra ground doesn't require additional capital for a second combine to get it all done in the season's window, for example. You need to lock in some % of all your inputs and hope for the best when it comes to weather and historical yields on similar ground. Then you get into the idea of hedging by selling a % of your potential crop at a future guaranteed price. What you don't want to do is sell too little on a future contract and leave money on the table, or sell more than you're able to deliver and get caught buying at a higher price to meet your lower-priced contract commitment.

One reason some of these cash rent prices can get so out of whack is that you have large entities trying to lower their fixed cost/acre because they've maybe lost ground from previous seasons or have had to invest more capital to service the same ground or additional ground they bought. The landowner has an expectation of a return on their asset and will drive the rents higher as a result.

I'm sure that's full of typos, but you get the idea.

Again I think you answered something other than the topic.
When home prices drastically fall (for any reason) and people become so totally “fixed in place with no mobility” because they can’t sell without a huge loss (no equity and no 6 figure cash reserves), what happens to the financial market?
It depends. You would need to provide more information. If it is people wanting to leave their homes because financial difficulty and the homes are over mortgaged, then I would gather there would be a negative impact. If it is people moving because they want to downsize, but can't because of dropping property values, then there may not be a negative impact.

I have no doubt TODAY, that there is a significant amount of debt in a ton of homes with multiple mortgages that if sold, would make a serious impact. But falling prices alone aren't the cause of losses. It is only when you try to sell and everyone gets mucked about.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yup. In my neck of the woods they are knocking down million dollar homes and building 3-4 million dollar homes. Like Milton’s Dr buddy I have no idea what these people do for a living
I have a 3200 square foot home on 1 1/2 acres with a 1000 square foot poll barn. I have about 260,000 in the entire thing, had a guy call me last week asking if I wanted to sell I told him I would take 800k.

Homes around me are selling for 800k to 1 million and they look like houses that use to cost 300-400k 15 years ago. Bubble has to burst at some point, same with cars. My wife just bought the 2024 Loaded Expedition like having a mortgage payment.

I have a 3200 square foot home on 1 1/2 acres with a 1000 square foot poll barn. I have about 260,000 in the entire thing, had a guy call me last week asking if I wanted to sell I told him I would take 800k.

Homes around me are selling for 800k to 1 million and they look like houses that use to cost 300-400k 15 years ago. Bubble has to burst at some point, same with cars. My wife just bought the 2024 Loaded Expedition like having a mortgage payment.
It’s nuts!!

Nice read, but I think that answers a different question than what I’m curious about. Which is 1) how can a farm business pay that much in cash rent 2) if a farm business can’t pay for a meager (example) 3% return on your dirt investment, HTF is it worth buying at such stoooopid prices.
I know farmers just love working for free, basically, but that will only last so long.
I don't know, but the answer could be that a lot of the land is being purchased solely as a safe investment with a very small return and the expectation of an appreciation in value (i.e., the gain when they ultimately sell the land). Perhaps most people aren't buying the farmland because they want to farm it themselves. For the non-farming land buyers, the rents just give them a very small, and relatively safe, return.

In a weird way, it seems slightly similar to buying a professional sports team. The investment value comes when you sell the team - not from annual revenues and profits (which sometimes are negative).

Last edited:
v3jhtLc.jpg

I don't know, but the answer could be that a lot of the land is being purchased solely as a safe investment with a very small return and the expectation of an appreciation in value (i.e., the gain when they ultimately sell the land). Perhaps most people aren't buying the farmland because they want to farm it themselves. For the non-farming land buyers, the rents just give them a very small, and relatively safe, return.

In a weird way, it seems slightly similar to buying a professional sports team. The investment value comes when you sell the team - not from annual revenues and profits (which sometimes are negative).
Yep. It’s the monetization of real estate. It’s one of many reasons I hope Bitcoin succeeds. Land should be worth its utility value.

Please lord Jesus, I hope someone much smarter than me can finally explain how this works.
We’ve talked about it a I simply can not make sense of any of it!
Farm land prices have no relationship to economics. Right now it’s simply folks buying because they want it and either have the money or ability to borrow.

I know many farmers with substantial acres of land with much of it at lower prices. They convince themselves the new higher priced land still keeps their total acreage at a reasonable average cost. I disagree.

Someone always pays, the last thing a lender or an entity that purchases these loans wants is to be in the real estate business. Repo's are good buys for someone but generally losses for the banks/lenders.

The subjective nature of appraising is funny. One of my best friends owns an appraisal business, he gets threated by clients all the time when he comes back with a conservative number. Too much reputational risk and future business risk to over inflate a value.
Pretty sure they changed the regulations on appraisers. They are real hesitant to fudge the numbers like in years past. People waiting for a 2008 style bubble should rethink this. Not even close to the same situation.

Farm land prices have no relationship to economics. Right now it’s simply folks buying because they want it and either have the money or ability to borrow.

I know many farmers with substantial acres of land with much of it at lower prices. They convince themselves the new higher priced land still keeps their total acreage at a reasonable average cost. I disagree.
You ain’t outbidding the Amish in these parts. They will overpay every single time.

As well as "subprime" lending. The only issue I see is the price of RE these days, crazy to think a 1500 square foot home on a slab with a "two car" garage (good luck getting two cars in there) is selling for around 300k or better in my neck of the woods.

The only real issue is if income decreases or if property values begin to decline. Terrible place to be is upside down in a mortgage.
The track home business down here and in many parts will do in house financing. I saw 3.9% yesterday. They will also build you another one and buy back the one you purchased. Those homes are easy to buy. Good deal? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
There was a guy on r/wallstreetbets last week bragging on how his grandma left him $800k, and he'd just invested $700k on Intel, 22977 shares at $30.45. This was the day before it crashed. Closed today at $20.11, so he's down to $460k. Not bad for 4 days work.

5f9qlp90evgd1.jpeg
At least it wasn't Gamestop

• Haha
Reactions: Hank Reardon

Yea as you and others above have said, if someone has several other acres and can average it down across the whole operation, I could kind of understand that paper trick (looking from the farmer side). But if you are just a landlord, spend $20k for a $300-$400 / YEAR return... You must have been lighting joints with $100 bills and simply don't give a crap. OR I suppose carry it over a 50-60 yr mortgage... which is stupid and stressful... Oh well, These prices will never make sense to me I suspect.

Holy Crap, my Broker just called me from jail..... No just kidding about the jail part.. :) I would never ever figure I would have a broker who would spend the time to personally call me. Freaking cool !
Anyway, He explained this has a lot to do with Hedgefunds, shorting Japanese bonds and when Japan unexpectedly raised interest rates last week, a lot of head fund people were shitting bricks and had to cover some suddenly bad positions (in my redneck understanding anyway).
Does that square with you other financial people who speak jive?

Someone always pays, the last thing a lender or an entity that purchases these loans wants is to be in the real estate business. Repo's are good buys for someone but generally losses for the banks/lenders.

The subjective nature of appraising is funny. One of my best friends owns an appraisal business, he gets threated by clients all the time when he comes back with a conservative number. Too much reputational risk and future business risk to over inflate a value.
I had an appraiser do my house on 2 different situations - one on a re-fi and and one when we sold it.

The first one he came back with a ridiculously low estimate, but I didn't care because I wasn't refinancing that much.

When I sold, he came back with some bullshit things like the roof on my outdoor gazebo by the pool had some issues.... no shit. It's a f'n gazebo that you can slap some shingles on and it's no big deal. Get some buddies over, offer them a beer, spend and hour on it and then hit the pool.

Another item was the cap on the fireplace needed 'repaired'. No specifics - just 'repaired'. I had to bring some chimney expert up from Boone County for him to put some cement on it, for which I was charged $2k.

The third item was the jets in the bathtub didn't work. No shit, dumbass - the jets won't run until there's water to run through them. I explained it to him and he STILL kept it in his report.

I'm sure your friend runs an honest business, but this asshole didn't know his ass from first base. Apparently, there's not much training or education required to be an appraiser.

Please lord Jesus, I hope someone much smarter than me can finally explain how this works.
We’ve talked about it a I simply can not make sense of any of it!
Well, basically, they just pay the interest. The principal is never paid off.

My sister worked at a bank and said this is how it works, so I assume it's true. And when interest rates were 3%, it probably made sense. It doesn't now, I don't think.

Well, that and gov't subsidies.....

Well, basically, they just pay the interest. The principal is never paid off.

My sister worked at a bank and said this is how it works, so I assume it's true. And when interest rates were 3%, it probably made sense. It doesn't now, I don't think.

Well, that and gov't subsidies.....
To be fair, and where I’ve been most of my life. If I can do what I love, have enough to feed my family so to speak, that’s all I needed personally.
But now my eyes have been opened up to so much more.
I am sure I was more happy not knowing more. It’s ruined my happiness. Yet I still chase unhappiness. Why would I do that? Just to fit in?

To be fair, and where I’ve been most of my life. If I can do what I love, have enough to feed my family so to speak, that’s all I needed personally.
But now my eyes have been opened up to so much more.
I am sure I was more happy not knowing more. It’s ruined my happiness. Yet I still chase unhappiness. Why would I do that? Just to fit in?
We're all human and want what we don't have, or can't have.

Like you, I'm financially OK where I am and I'm grateful for that. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be a money-grubber if I had the chance.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
This is gonna be bad.....

Restaurants are closing like crazy in Charlotte. I saw that Bucca di Beppo's has closed in Indy.

Bucca has been closing locations for years. I used to drive by that one in Castleton that closed and it was always an empty parking lot.

I think BW3 is the next one to start closing up. Those places are always empty. Had some wings from there a couple months ago. Awful.

I think BW3 is the next one to start closing up. Those places are always empty. Had some wings from there a couple months ago. Awful.
Bucca has been closing locations for years. I used to drive by that one in Castleton that closed and it was always an empty parking lot.

Is that Buffalo Wild Wings? My daughter and I were there a few weeks ago. Had a few bites and got up and left

• Wow
Is that Buffalo Wild Wings? My daughter and I were there a few weeks ago. Had a few bites and got up and left

Yep. 15-20 years ago those places were packed almost nightly. Used to hang out at the bar at one that was right next to where I lived at the time. The food was never that great IMO, but it was passable....but the beer was cheap and it was a fun atmosphere. Now depressing as hell, dirty and empty. Several locations have closed... And the ones that are left have to be on deaths doorstep

Yep. 15-20 years ago those places were packed almost nightly. Used to hang out at the bar at one that was right next to where I lived at the time. The food was never that great IMO, but it was passable....but the beer was cheap and it was a fun atmosphere. Now depressing as hell, dirty and empty. Several locations have closed... And the ones that are left have to be on deaths doorstep
That’s what I thought. That place was a staple for us in college. Sad

As a kid I swear KFC was at least passable. Now pure garbage with most locations dirty. Popeyes not much better.

Steak and Shake has give downhill too since COVID. We need a Freddy's closer by.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
As a kid I swear KFC was at least passable. Now pure garbage with most locations dirty. Popeyes not much better.

Steak and Shake has give downhill too since COVID. We need a Freddy's closer by.
I even liked kfc mashed potatoes as a kid. So dirty and gross now. Couldn’t pay me to eat it.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
I mean, if I made 500k++ a year, I"d figure out a way to not be working past 55 at most instead of building/buying a mcmansion.

But that's me.
It's not the 'building' of the home, it's the privacy and comfort achieved while living in the home that matters. Sharing the amenities is a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT