ADVERTISEMENT

How bad was last night's officiating crew

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
Is it just me or were they not just terrible at both ends of the floor?
Where does the B-10 find these clowns?

Reactions: twenty02
They were horrible…foul on Gallo in 2nd half-he never touched the MD player who actually traveled. Bates got run over twice, both went against him. TJD got the benefit at least twice when he wasn’t fouled.
I don’t understand why the officiating is so bad? Are other conferences this bad?

Reactions: 76-1
They were awful. Two of them have been part of some abysmal crews this season

Reactions: kkott
Hummel I feel is a really good analyst. Think he calls our games pretty impartial.

On a different note, Willard flat out called the Refs out for what he believed was a missed goal tend that changed the momentum for MD. I thought it was 50/50 on the GT. Overall indefinitely feel more calls went MDs way then ours but definitely inconsistencies on both sides

Reactions: asindc
Hummel I feel is a really good analyst. Think he calls our games pretty impartial.

On a different note, Willard flat out called the Refs out for what he believed was a missed goal tend that changed the momentum for MD. I thought it was 50/50 on the GT. Overall indefinitely feel more calls went MDs way then ours but definitely inconsistencies on both sides
Was for sure a goaltend, but so were the charges that got called blocks on Tamar.

Reactions: asindc
One problem with officiating is that even though it is supposedly a part time gig, some of these guys are Officiating in more than one conference and doing 3=4 games per week. Like Players playing a long season, these guys get tired and stale. Some nights they just aren't on top of the game.

One problem with officiating is that even though it is supposedly a part time gig, some of these guys are Officiating in more than one conference and doing 3=4 games per week. Like Players playing a long season, these guys get tired and stale. Some nights they just aren't on top of the game.
A few years ago my dentist was a big ten ref.
They both require time investment to be good. How do you do both?
There is so much money that the refs should be full time. 2-3 games a week max. Film study, educational offerings, critiques of each game. With NIL the players are a bit pro. Why not the refs.

I thought the officiating was bad on both sides of the ball but was worse against IU. Hummel was always bringing up what he thought was bad calls. One of the worse no calls was towards the end of the game when Galloway got steam rolled. I'm sure I'm biased but IMO IU was gotten the blunt of the bad calls all year. Hopefully things will be called better in the NCAA tourney but I'm sure there will be several of these BIG refs working it.

Reactions: 76-1 and jmix
I thought the officiating was bad on both sides of the ball but was worse against IU. Hummel was always bringing up what he thought was bad calls. One of the worse no calls was towards the end of the game when Galloway got steam rolled. I'm sure I'm biased but IMO IU was gotten the blunt of the bad calls all year. Hopefully things will be called better in the NCAA tourney but I'm sure there will be several of these BIG refs working it.
Trey got bulldozed as did Scoop

Reactions: 76-1 and jmix
The Big Ten and college basketball in general are going to get uglier and uglier until the NCAA mandates that officials call offensive fouls anytime the offensive player displaces the defender by force. This includes the constant " bump and back" on the blocks as well as the use of the off arm on drives and turns in the post to clear space (otherwise known as every single shot Edey takes).

If the Big Ten and other leagues got committed to doubling the number of offensive fouls called in a game, and in turn committed to stop letting defenders steer ballhandlers with an open hand, the game would become significantly better. It is starting to look like the NBA in the early nineties when the game was polluted with offensive players backing defenders under the rim for layups.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The Big Ten and college basketball in general are going to get uglier and uglier until the NCAA mandates that officials call offensive fouls anytime the offensive player displaces the defender by force. This includes the constant " bump and back" on the blocks as well as the use of the off arm on drives and turns in the post to clear space (otherwise known as every single shot Edey takes).

If the Big Ten and other leagues got committed to doubling the number of offensive fouls called in a game, and in turn committed to stop letting defenders steer ballhandlers with an open hand, the game would become significantly better. It is starting to look like the NBA in the early nineties when the game was polluted with offensive players backing defenders under the rim for layups.
The offensive “Charging” fouls that they call, that tick me off, are the ones where the defenders are sliding into position and there feet aren’t set… or they are moving along side the driving ball handler.. get bumped.. then flop.

They’ve let the charging call get way to loose.

Old school here…. Feet shoulder width, planted, standing vertical, no leaning or hip checking, arms/hands crossed across your junk and have been set for some time. That’s old school charging.

Also… didn’t they call a defensive foul on TJD underneath, when he was backing away from the offensive player, and the O Player traveled? O Player was backing in to TJD…. And I think TJD basically pulled the chair away from the guy and he was expecting resistance from TJD. There was NO WAY that TJD fouled that guy. Bad bad call there.

Lost track of what point in the game it was but Gallo got trucked (he's still feeling that one this morning) in what looked like the MD guy decided to play football and Galloway was (mistakenly) still thinking he was was in a basketball game...

The MD guy had both arms covering the ball, dropped his shoulder and ran directly Over Galloway... No Call...

Big Ten Refs are a bad joke...

The offensive “Charging” fouls that they call, that tick me off, are the ones where the defenders are sliding into position and there feet aren’t set… or they are moving along side the driving ball handler.. get bumped.. then flop.

They’ve let the charging call get way to loose.

Old school here…. Feet shoulder width, planted, standing vertical, no leaning or hip checking, arms/hands crossed across your junk and have been set for some time. That’s old school charging.

Also… didn’t they call a defensive foul on TJD underneath, when he was backing away from the offensive player, and the O Player traveled? O Player was backing in to TJD…. And I think TJD basically pulled the chair away from the guy and he was expecting resistance from TJD. There was NO WAY that TJD fouled that guy. Bad bad call there.
I completely disagree. Cleaning up play begins with calling MORE, not fewer, charges. The rule states that all the defender must do is establish position before the offensive player and that the offensive player initiate the contact. The defender does not have to be "set for some time", or any such thing. The offensive player is only entitled to vertical space until he gets within the semicircle in the lane ( and that is a player safety issue). IMO, flopping is mostly a result of officials not recognizing when defenders are forcibly displaced. If you don't sell it as a full-blown train collision, you don't get the call. Nowhere do the rules say you have to be run over to be a charge. Bumping and banging a defender off of an established spot is a charge. If it were called as it should be, defenders then could also legitimately be called for leaning and pushing on offensive players trying to post up. The game gets cleaner when offensive fouls (including charging) are called tighter.

Is it just me or were they not just terrible at both ends of the floor?
Where does the B-10 find these clowns?
Yes. They are god awful and that was one or the worse displays this year. Plenty of bad calls for both teams, and maybe a few more our way. B1G needs to fix this in the off-season. I watch a lot of games, and B1G are worse than other leagues for the games I have seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT