ADVERTISEMENT

Free Throws 46 - 8

Someone should put together the Zach Edey hook show
I watch every Purdue game. Sounds like you only watch chopped up clips if you think Edey is the one always causing the tangled arms.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

You're oblivious because you're biased

Edy has 2 “hook” moves that IMO, are intentional:
1. He puts his arm under opponent’s arm-pit and lifts the other player slightly. The player looses his footing and allows Edy to gain advantage to push player out of his way. Once, he had Nu player off his feet, both players lost their balance and they both fell to the floor. The Nu player was called for the “hook”, but Edy initiated the hook.
Can you show an example of this?
2. Being taller than the opponent, Edy lowers his arm down on the opponents elbow, which immediately makes the other players elbow bend, capturing Edy’s arm. This doesn’t always get a “hook” penalty, but Edy is good at using this to generate fouls.
Again, I'd love to see an example of this.

Ok, so a guy, that has openly said he hates Purdue and Edey, is objective about Purdue and Edey in your opinion. Right...

If the game was called by the rules, yes I'm sure Edey would get more fouls called. IF he's even allowed to start to make a move. Problem is, Edey is fouled before he even gets the ball. Every time. So sure, let's call it per the rules. Every team's front line would foul out before half.
But again: Edey draws a shit ton of fouls already, so: could they call more? Sure. But they do get called at a high rate. Can you say the same about Edey's fouls? You're the stat guy, go back and tell me how many fouls he averages per game, or per 40. Guessing per game, just from what I see, it's going to be like 2.3, maybe 3 per 40. You don't find that at all odd for a guy who's as big, strong and plays as phsically as Edey does?

And, I don't think Titus hates Purdue, that's his Dad. I don't watch a ton, but I think Titus just said what I did: hates watching PU/Edey because of how it mucks up a game. I have really liked PU and Painter for a long time and pointed to them as a coach and program who "gets it". And, while I like how hard Edey works and what a good kid he seems like, I hate watching your games because it just perverts how I believe a game should be called.

Last edited:
The whole game was a joke but the last straw was the last play of overtime. Purdue stepped out of bounds and hooked the NW defender. NW should have had free throws or the ball with a chance to tie.
I didn't see him step out of bounds, but he definitely hooked the player.

Yea, you seem so open minded to facts lmao
I know you may find that funny, but the reality is that I immediately agreed that the call at the end was wrong and it should have been a foul on Jones. I try to be objective, but I also understand that it's really hard to overcome biases. Who do you think is going to be MORE objective, the person that understands they have biases or the person that refuses to acknowledge them?

I am open to facts, but you have to be able to show evidence. I'm not going to take someone's word on it, especially when I believe they are wrong. Show me evidence. BTW evidence is not some talking head saying what you want to hear. Everyone can find someone saying what they want to hear. Show me actual evidence.

How in the world does this happen??? I refuse to watch that school up north unless they play IU, so I didn't watch any part of the game last night. If you saw the game, please explain what the foul situation was like. Were they calling legitimate fouls on NU? I know that ZE fouls 8 - 10 times a game and ends up with only 2?
Courtney Green is the worst official in college basketball. He screws up any game he works.

The worst call was when Edey jammed his elbow against the NW player's neck and pushed him down the lane. The result was a foul on NW. This game should be a make up call for officials.

I know you may find that funny, but the reality is that I immediately agreed that the call at the end was wrong and it should have been a foul on Jones. I try to be objective, but I also understand that it's really hard to overcome biases. Who do you think is going to be MORE objective, the person that understands they have biases or the person that refuses to acknowledge them?

I am open to facts, but you have to be able to show evidence. I'm not going to take someone's word on it, especially when I believe they are wrong. Show me evidence. BTW evidence is not some talking head saying what you want to hear. Everyone can find someone saying what they want to hear. Show me actual evidence.
The conclusions reached after reading this hideous thread:
1. PU fans are really dumb.
2. PU fans are desperate to seek validation from IU fans.
3. They make up reasons for coming to this board.
4. Men's basketball must be their school's only successful sport this year to act in such an ignorant manner.
5. To expand on 4 above, they have NCAA title deficiency syndrome (most likely the lowest number of national titles of any BIG school (all sports)).
6. Lastly, why would anyone want to attend PU.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
The conclusions reached after reading this hideous thread:
1. PU fans are really dumb.
2. PU fans are desperate to seek validation from IU fans.
3. They make up reasons for coming to this board.
4. Men's basketball must be their school's only successful sport this year to act in such an ignorant manner.
5. To expand on 4 above, they have NCAA title deficiency syndrome (most likely the lowest number of national titles of any BIG school (all sports)).
6. Lastly, why would anyone want to attend PU.
So Purdue fans are dumb because... we just don't take your word for it? Excuse me for asking for proof. I've given stats to show why the FT disparity was what it was. I'm not even going to get into the other stuff because it's a waste of time.

Watch the game and how he hooks his arm over or under the defender quite often. That is the evidence. If you watch pu games, then should have noticed

So Purdue fans are dumb because... we just don't take your word for it? Excuse me for asking for proof. I've given stats to show why the FT disparity was what it was. I'm not even going to get into the other stuff because it's a waste of time.
Stats showing pu gets a lot of calls their way is proving our point

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Watch the game and how he hooks his arm over or under the defender quite often. That is the evidence. If you watch pu games, then should have noticed
Yes, I've seen him do it before, but it's not as common as you are claiming. He's been called for it too. Not every time, but he has. The defender also displaces Edey every time, which isn't supposed to be allowed. Where are the complaints from you guys about that?

Stats showing pu gets a lot of calls their way is proving our point
Ok, how about this. This shows WHY PU gets more calls then other teams while playing Purdue. Edey draws a lot of fouls because he does all of his work in the paint and he's bigger than everyone else. Teams have to foul him because they can't stop him otherwise. Most teams avoid the paint when Edey is in the game.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Courtney Green is the worst official in college basketball. He screws up any game he works.

The worst call was when Edey jammed his elbow against the NW player's neck and pushed him down the lane. The result was a foul on NW. This game should be a make up call for officials.
Is this the play you are referring to?

Reactions: Bill4411
Ok, how about this. This shows WHY PU gets more calls then other teams while playing Purdue. Edey draws a lot of fouls because he does all of his work in the paint and he's bigger than everyone else. Teams have to foul him because they can't stop him otherwise. Most teams avoid the paint when Edey is in the game.

Teams get called for fouls often because he is hooking them

Go home with the biased crap

Wait, Mr Objective: you just told me above opinions or stats from someone you claim "hates Purdue" (please link for me where Titus has said that. I don't listen to him a ton, but do find him a good listen; so maybe he does?) and then you post a link from a PU fan, about shockingly, why Edey doesn't foul? The guys entire posts seem to consist of defending PU bball, ha! I hope that legendary objectiveness for which you are so well known to yourself, isn't slipping!

And, that view would only matter to defensive fouls Edey might commit, and I've already given him credit that I think he does a good job of not fouling while defending. What I'm talking about are offensive, screening and over the back fouls. He commits enough of those every game to foul out, let alone any defensive fouls.

Wait, Mr Objective: you just told me above opinions or stats from someone you claim "hates Purdue" (please link for me where Titus has said that. I don't listen to him a ton, but do find him a good listen; so maybe he does?) and then you post a link from a PU fan, about shockingly, why Edey doesn't foul? The guys entire posts seem to consist of defending PU bball, ha! I hope that legendary objectiveness for which you are so well known to yourself, isn't slipping!
I never said stats. I said opinions. Stats are good, but can be taken out of context. Many have taken the foul disparity of teams playing against Purdue as proof that Purdue gets a favorable whistle. However, I used other stats in conjunction with those stats to show WHY Purdue gets more fouls and FT's than other teams. I was able to prove my point with more than one data point, vs you using one data point to support your bias.

I never said stats. I said opinions. Stats are good, but can be taken out of context. Many have taken the foul disparity of teams playing against Purdue as proof that Purdue gets a favorable whistle. However, I used other stats in conjunction with those stats to show WHY Purdue gets more fouls and FT's than other teams. I was able to prove my point with more than one data point, vs you using one data point to support your bias.
It's not one data point. Look at the foul disparity in the 2 games vs NW. Ironically both OT games, so even better to compare. Fouls were virtually even in Evanston, and 2:1 for PU in Mackey. You really think Collins deviated from a successful gameplan that much?

It's not one data point. Look at the foul disparity in the 2 games vs NW. Ironically both OT games, so even better to compare. Fouls were virtually even in Evanston, and 2:1 for PU in Mackey. You really think Collins deviated from a successful gameplan that much?
OR, now bear with me here, maybe, just maybe, that one game in Evanston was the outlier and THEY had a favorable whistle at home. My evidence? The 21 other games Purdue has played this year (and not to mention all of last year).

So in reality, yeah it is just one data point in the sea of other data points.

We’re in their brains always.
Not any more. Doing better in the NCAA's is more important. IU is just a pit stop along the way now. When Knight was the coach the matchup was everything but it's changed since him.

Not any more. Doing better in the NCAA's is more important. IU is just a pit stop along the way now. When Knight was the coach the matchup was everything but it's changed since him.
Why all you Purdue folks over here? I haven’t give a shit about your board in my entire life.

Why all you Purdue folks over here? I haven’t give a shit about your board in my entire life.
I can't speak for others, but I grew up an IU fan. I don't dislike IU like many PU fans (and likewise many IU fans of PU). My brother is a fan of IU and Purdue so we often talk about both. I come here to read what's going on, but post about Purdue related things when I find them to not be accurate.

But again: Edey draws a shit ton of fouls already, so: could they call more? Sure. But they do get called at a high rate. Can you say the same about Edey's fouls? You're the stat guy, go back and tell me how many fouls he averages per game, or per 40. Guessing per game, just from what I see, it's going to be like 2.3, maybe 3 per 40. You don't find that at all odd for a guy who's as big, strong and plays as phsically as Edey does?

And, I don't think Titus hates Purdue, that's his Dad. I don't watch a ton, but I think Titus just said what I did: hates watching PU/Edey because of how it mucks up a game. I have really liked PU and Painter for a long time and pointed to them as a coach and program who "gets it". And, while I like how hard Edey works and what a good kid he seems like, I hate watching your games because it just perverts how I believe a game should be called.
I guess the real question is if Edey is mucking up the game or the opposition while trying to compete with Edey?

Reactions: TheCainer
No idea what he's talking about. None of those #s are remotely close to right from checking a box score.
Watch the video…. He went through, watched the game, and called every foul that was, by rule, a foul. That’s what the outcome would have been.

Watch the video…. He went through, watched the game, and called every foul that was, by rule, a foul. That’s what the outcome would have been.
Yeah? No. There's no point. I don't think anyones arguing that Edey gets fouled a ton, and while they all aren't/can't be called, the point is that there are MANY of those fouls called (to the tune of 31-15), while 2, TWO, are called on the biggest, strongest, most physical player on the floor who played 41 minutes in regulation and OT. Is it really that hard for you guys to just say "yeah, they got homered a bit?"

Yeah? No. There's no point. I don't think anyones arguing that Edey gets fouled a ton, and while they all aren't/can't be called, the point is that there are MANY of those fouls called (to the tune of 31-15), while 2, TWO, are called on the biggest, strongest, most physical player on the floor who played 41 minutes in regulation and OT. Is it really that hard for you guys to just say "yeah, they got homered a bit?"
I don't understand how you automatically equate being the biggest and strongest guy on the floor to automatically that he fouls a lot and doesn't get called on them. That's not how things work. Watch him play more than 5 seconds and you'll understand that he is really good at not fouling.

I agree with you on the hook and that PU doesn’t get all the calls. The stats you showed prove that.

I saw Edey before the IU game this year warming up. It was interesting. He was practicing back to the basket, two hands on the ball, left elbow up, slight duck, turn left under a pretend arm, them up with both arms, elbow out to create space, with a soft right hand shot.

Completely unstoppable as he is allowed to drop step back and dislodge a defender (which is a foul but it's hardly ever called on anyone including Reneau). Once he has a little space, elbow up for separation, and the baby hook.

There was a video of something like it earlier and they called a foul on the NW player. The NW fouled on the pass but after that, he didn't do anything wrong. And neither did Edey as that is how the game has evolved. Bang the crap out of each other in the post until a ref decides someone needs to be called for a foul. Sad really.

My issue with Edey is the 3 seconds or more he is allowed to have. I understand the counting stops upon a move towards the basket. But he is in there quite a long time. Last night, it was for over 4 seconds before Loyer hit the 3. It doesn't happen all the time and less this year with his improved mobility, but it happens enough to drive opponents crazy.
3 secs is not true and a video posted on here debunked it. In fact, it may have been Purdue vs. IU, where the person went through the game counting. There was 1.

I don't understand how you automatically equate being the biggest and strongest guy on the floor to automatically that he fouls a lot and doesn't get called on them. That's not how things work. Watch him play more than 5 seconds and you'll understand that he is really good at not fouling.
Oops: You omitted MOST PHYSICAL. Now, I agree, if it's a Jason Collier or AJ Hammons who doesn't relish contact, you'd be the biggest and strongest guy on the floor possibly, but not foul because you're not physical. Edey is in the middle of the action in the paint, on every possession and generally is initiating it when on offense, trying to seal his man with his elbows/arms high. And yet, somehow while opponents pile up fouls, often on 2-3 defenders, Edey sails through with 2 or fewer fouls. Good game today @ Wisconsin. I noticed they had the audacity to call 3 fouls on him in what I didn't think was nearly as physical as the NW game (nor as long). Time for Matt to start lobbying about the unfair foul situation in the post game presser. This shall not stand!

Whose little bro? Guessing me since you quoted me. Interesting that that is what you take from that. Not the fact that he completely debunks everyone talking about Purdue on an iu board. I get it though, you all need something good to talk about.
That's all they got calling us little bro.

That's all they got calling us little bro.
That’s all we need. The fact that you keep coming to an IU forum and that you guys chant IU Sucks when you aren’t even playing us…yeah, you’re lil’ bro. Until you get five titles, you’re lil’ bro. Until sportscasters start saying “Purdue, a traditional blue blood program…”, you’re lil’ bro. You’ll always be lil’ bro. No matter how many times you beat IU, no matter how many B1G titles you win, you’re just “that other team from Indiana”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT