ADVERTISEMENT

Free Throws 46 - 8

Wrong. He got booted because he deemed the officials to have what they had...a terrible game. The final BS call is the last snowflake that caused the Collins avalanche. But there were at east 10 other snowflakes that game that led to the final one causing the avalanche.
How can you possibly believe this? If that were the case he wouldn't have waited till the game was over. No, his beef in that moment was the awful foul call, because at that point in time it was still a game. Purdue was only up 3.

Plus, if he was mad about the officiating overall, then he would have gone after all the refs. He only went after one, and that was the one that made that particular bad call.

Reactions: stollcpa
So if you take away non-Big Ten games, would PU be higher or lower on the ranking?
My guess would be that they're higher in non B10 games.
Just because it includes all games doesn't mean there isn't some bs going on with the calls.
Solid logic there.
Have you ever thought that maybe PU craps the bed in NCAA tourney specifically because they can't bring their BT refs and homer calls with them?
I know it's hard for you to think beyond the last two years, but Purdue under Painter until these last two years have had a pretty good NCAA record. And no, it's not because of homer refs. Purdue literally lost last years game because FD was giving them wide open looks from 3. I counted 15 shots that they didn't even contest on that we missed. Last years team had a 3 point shooting issue starting about mid season. This years team does not have that issue.

Here's the difference in our shooters on the floor compared to this year and last:

Mason Gillis:

2023 35.6%
2024 50.8%

Fletcher Loyer:

2023 32.6%
2024 43.3%

Braden Smith:

2023 37.6%
2024 42.7% (he's shooting a much higher number this year as well)

Lance Jones

2024 36.1%

Camden Heide

2024 45.8%

Guys with massively reduce playing time:

Ethan Morton

2023 27.7%
2024 23.5%

Caleb First

2023 26.8%
2024 22.2%

Purdue as a team:

2023 32.2%
2024 40.4%
Edey getting called for his hooks would have a major impact on the game if he is sitting on the bench in foul trouble.
What hooks? Show me.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
I agree with you on the hook and that PU doesn’t get all the calls. The stats you showed prove that.

I saw Edey before the IU game this year warming up. It was interesting. He was practicing back to the basket, two hands on the ball, left elbow up, slight duck, turn left under a pretend arm, them up with both arms, elbow out to create space, with a soft right hand shot.

Completely unstoppable as he is allowed to drop step back and dislodge a defender (which is a foul but it's hardly ever called on anyone including Reneau). Once he has a little space, elbow up for separation, and the baby hook.

There was a video of something like it earlier and they called a foul on the NW player. The NW fouled on the pass but after that, he didn't do anything wrong. And neither did Edey as that is how the game has evolved. Bang the crap out of each other in the post until a ref decides someone needs to be called for a foul. Sad really.

My issue with Edey is the 3 seconds or more he is allowed to have. I understand the counting stops upon a move towards the basket. But he is in there quite a long time. Last night, it was for over 4 seconds before Loyer hit the 3. It doesn't happen all the time and less this year with his improved mobility, but it happens enough to drive opponents crazy.
I agree with pretty much everything here. I don't doubt there are 3 second violations that aren't called, but I don't at all believe that it happens at nearly the rate that some here would like us all to believe.

A 3 second violation isn't called if:

1. You begin a move towards making a shot

2. You make a move to get out of the lane

So you can literally be in the lane more than 3 seconds, but as long as you are doing either of those two things, they won't call a 3 second violation.

How in the world does this happen??? I refuse to watch that school up north unless they play IU, so I didn't watch any part of the game last night. If you saw the game, please explain what the foul situation was like. Were they calling legitimate fouls on NU? I know that ZE fouls 8 - 10 times a game and ends up with only 2?
If your game plan is to "hack a shaq" on Edey, expect a lot of fouls. That was NWs gameplan, it was obvious and yet Collins blows up about it. LOL

I agree with pretty much everything here. I don't doubt there are 3 second violations that aren't called, but I don't at all believe that it happens at nearly the rate that some here would like us all to believe.

A 3 second violation isn't called if:

1. You begin a move towards making a shot

2. You make a move to get out of the lane

So you can literally be in the lane more than 3 seconds, but as long as you are doing either of those two things, they won't call a 3 second violation.
This isn't about 3 second violations. Watch the Mark Titus video linked. Someone who knows what he's talking about and isn't afraid to say it because he isn't later going to need to interview Matt Painter. Yes, Edey gets fouled a ton, but yes also, he fouls almost every possession. If I'm an opposing coach, it's a trade I'd gladly make: call a bunch of fouls on my guys, but also call them on Zach Edey. Would completely change the way he can play and what he gets away with, gets the fouls more equal, and makes it a better game.

At this point I don't care, you guys aren't going to admit Edey fouls like crazy and doesn't get called, and I'm losing interest, you know, this being an IU board and all. So, sit back and watch your team probably win the B10 and have a good year, but don't come back here crying when you get to the tourney and Zach winds up on the bench in foul trouble and a team takes you out again by exploiting your guards.

How in the world does this happen??? I refuse to watch that school up north unless they play IU, so I didn't watch any part of the game last night. If you saw the game, please explain what the foul situation was like. Were they calling legitimate fouls on NU? I know that ZE fouls 8 - 10 times a game and ends up with only 2?
Said it in some thread, maybe this one. The media chose their darling prior to the season, much like Duke and Michigan State in years before. NW beat them first time around, couldn’t allow that a second time. Just sayin’.

My guess would be that they're higher in non B10 games.

Solid logic there.

I know it's hard for you to think beyond the last two years, but Purdue under Painter until these last two years have had a pretty good NCAA record. And no, it's not because of homer refs. Purdue literally lost last years game because FD was giving them wide open looks from 3. I counted 15 shots that they didn't even contest on that we missed. Last years team had a 3 point shooting issue starting about mid season. This years team does not have that issue.

Here's the difference in our shooters on the floor compared to this year and last:

Mason Gillis:

2023 35.6%
2024 50.8%

Fletcher Loyer:

2023 32.6%
2024 43.3%

Braden Smith:

2023 37.6%
2024 42.7% (he's shooting a much higher number this year as well)

Lance Jones

2024 36.1%

Camden Heide

2024 45.8%

Guys with massively reduce playing time:

Ethan Morton

2023 27.7%
2024 23.5%

Caleb First

2023 26.8%
2024 22.2%

Purdue as a team:

2023 32.2%
2024 40.4%

What hooks? Show me.
It was solid logic and if big ten games only put them in even higher amounts of fouls then that just proves my point.

If you don't see edey hooking his arm around the defender then you never watch Purdue games.

Said it in some thread, maybe this one. The media chose their darling prior to the season, much like Duke and Michigan State in years before. NW beat them first time around, couldn’t allow that a second time. Just sayin’.
Oh and can’t allow the player of the year to be embarrassed.

It was solid logic and if big ten games only put them in even higher amounts of fouls then that just proves my point.

If you don't see edey hooking his arm around the defender then you never watch Purdue games.
The one that made its rounds on twitter only got to that point because the refs didn’t call a foul 3 different times on the northwestern player. Should never have gotten to that point.

Northwestern is:

• 18/66 shots at the rim last night (27%)
Purdue is:

• 24/57 shots at the rim last night (42%)
Many of the shots at the rim for Purdue were from rebounds and put backs. A lot of fouls tend to be called in those situations.
I’m not sure of your point in the things you bolded. NU had 66 attempts at the rim versus PU with 57. Seems like you are arguing that the officiating was totally off. How does a team have 66 attempts at the rim w/out more fouls. it’s about the attempts, not the FG%.

I’m not sure of your point in the things you bolded. NU had 66 attempts at the rim versus PU with 57. Seems like you are arguing that the officiating was totally off. How does a team have 66 attempts at the rim w/out more fouls. it’s about the attempts, not the FG%.
I believe that is 18 of the 66 total shots were at the rim, not that they only made 18 of their 66 at-the-rim shots. Thus, only 27% of NW's shots were from driving to the basket / offensive rebounds in the paint creating points.

I believe that is 18 of the 66 total shots were at the rim, not that they only made 18 of their 66 at-the-rim shots. Thus, only 27% of NW's shots were from driving to the basket / offensive rebounds in the paint creating points.
Ahh, makes sense, my brain needs more caffeine. I thought that seemed like a crazy number of at the rim attempts.

So you're saying Edey and his teammates constantly get the calls?

Edey hooks the defender practically every time and doesn't get called.
Edy has 2 “hook” moves that IMO, are intentional:
1. He puts his arm under opponent’s arm-pit and lifts the other player slightly. The player looses his footing and allows Edy to gain advantage to push player out of his way. Once, he had Nu player off his feet, both players lost their balance and they both fell to the floor. The Nu player was called for the “hook”, but Edy initiated the hook.
2. Being taller than the opponent, Edy lowers his arm down on the opponents elbow, which immediately makes the other players elbow bend, capturing Edy’s arm. This doesn’t always get a “hook” penalty, but Edy is good at using this to generate fouls.

Umm, see the quote I cut and pasted from your post right above my comments? That's where.
Ohhhh I follow now. You take the words you want from the message as a whole in order to get the words you want me to say, as opposed to actually commenting on what I actually said. Maybe you should try to understand my entire quote vs push a false narrative.

Ohhhh I follow now. You take the words you want from the message as a whole in order to get the words you want me to say, as opposed to actually commenting on what I actually said. Maybe you should try to understand my entire quote vs push a false narrative.
I quoted the part that was germain. The other stuff was commenting about a twitter/X post and discussion. I didn't change the message, I used what was relevant. Were you not saying that they should have called 3 more fouls (or at least 1 more and missed it 3X)?

This isn't about 3 second violations. Watch the Mark Titus video linked. Someone who knows what he's talking about and isn't afraid to say it because he isn't later going to need to interview Matt Painter. Yes, Edey gets fouled a ton, but yes also, he fouls almost every possession. If I'm an opposing coach, it's a trade I'd gladly make: call a bunch of fouls on my guys, but also call them on Zach Edey. Would completely change the way he can play and what he gets away with, gets the fouls more equal, and makes it a better game.

At this point I don't care, you guys aren't going to admit Edey fouls like crazy and doesn't get called, and I'm losing interest, you know, this being an IU board and all. So, sit back and watch your team probably win the B10 and have a good year, but don't come back here crying when you get to the tourney and Zach winds up on the bench in foul trouble and a team takes you out again by exploiting your guards.
Coaches don't call fouls, refs do! It's real simple, Zach is 7'-4" 300+lb guy who at his size is a really good athlete. Plus he has been so well schooled (coached) on how to get position in so many different sets that most big men who are 6'-11" and 240 are at massive disadvantage and those many find themselves using forearm shivers or try underpinning with their legs and get called for a foul. It's not like we reinventing the wheel here! Zach is bigger, stronger better athlete than most that most cannot match!. Guess what! History says that almost every game that Zach has played in, he fouls out the other teams bigs! The problem with you is you need to go out and guard Zach, show everyone how it is done! Chances are you will need to change your diaper, because it will be filled with that cream and crimson stuff! Zach has been in foul trouble in a few games, but our undersized guards keep leading Purdue to Victory's! Winning makes enemies of the weak!

I quoted the part that was germain. The other stuff was commenting about a twitter/X post and discussion. I didn't change the message, I used what was relevant. Were you not saying that they should have called 3 more fouls (or at least 1 more and missed it 3X)?
No. I was saying exactly what I said in reference to the post I quoted. The foul on northwestern that made rounds on twitter where it looked like Edey was hooking never should have gotten to that point because the northwestern player fouled Edey 3 different times prior to the hook that people wanted a foul on Edey for.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Coaches don't call fouls, refs do! It's real simple, Zach is 7'-4" 300+lb guy who at his size is a really good athlete. Plus he has been so well schooled (coached) on how to get position in so many different sets that most big men who are 6'-11" and 240 are at massive disadvantage and those many find themselves using forearm shivers or try underpinning with their legs and get called for a foul. It's not like we reinventing the wheel here! Zach is bigger, stronger better athlete than most that most cannot match!. Guess what! History says that almost every game that Zach has played in, he fouls out the other teams bigs! The problem with you is you need to go out and guard Zach, show everyone how it is done! Chances are you will need to change your diaper, because it will be filled with that cream and crimson stuff! Zach has been in foul trouble in a few games, but our undersized guards keep leading Purdue to Victory's! Winning makes enemies of the weak!
Too many exclamation points. Maybe all caps would be a better approach?

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a great story, but that's just what it is: a story. Bear in mind that CMW and IU swept PU and Zach, last year and split the year before. So CMW and IU are 3-2 vs PU during his tenure, so he has shown how to beat Zach and PU (And FDU and St Peter's took note!), and you need to win the remaining game this year just to get even. That cream and crimson stuff is dripping down your chin!

I think Chris Collins thought the FT discrepancy was ridiculous. He got booted from the game. Lost his mind on the court with one of the officials. Not really like him.
The whole game was a joke but the last straw was the last play of overtime. Purdue stepped out of bounds and hooked the NW defender. NW should have had free throws or the ball with a chance to tie.

Reactions: T.M.P.
The whole game was a joke but the last straw was the last play of overtime. Purdue stepped out of bounds and hooked the NW defender. NW should have had free throws or the ball with a chance to tie.
How was it a joke? I’m sure you feel the same way about lances 5th foul in Evanston? That bad call potentially cost Purdue the game.

You don't shoot free throws on an offense foul. Perfect example of iu fans not knowing what they're talking about. Gezz, learn the rules before you speak on the rules!!!!!!

Reactions: TheCainer
You don't shoot free throws on an offense foul. Perfect example of iu fans not knowing what they're talking about. Gezz, learn the rules before you speak on the rules!!!!!!
My error, even better for NW to get the ball with chance to tie. If you watched the game, you know your guy hooked.

I deserved the correction. Try being an asshole one more time and you’ll only be posting on the Purdue board.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a great story, but that's just what it is: a story. Bear in mind that CMW and IU swept PU and Zach, last year and split the year before. So CMW and IU are 3-2 vs PU during his tenure, so he has shown how to beat Zach and PU (And FDU and St Peter's took note!), and you need to win the remaining game this year just to get even. That cream and crimson stuff is dripping down your chin!
Purdue has beaten IU 14 out of the last 18, but you should be proud of that 3-2 mark! Didn't you give Woody Wood Pecker a million more $$ for that feat. If Purdue pounds IU on the 10th, does he have to give it back?

NW shot 3's. Purdue played a lot in the paint.
And btw...I don't know if you were around for the Knight years but they usually made more than their opponents even Ttemptef. The last 4 ft was from a Collins T at the end of OT.
Maybe the refs were making last year right when at least 2 dozen calls were missed at NW that resulted in Purdue losing. The BIG admitted it.
And lastly if that happened at the Hall of Calls I'd be saying the same thing. lol.
Nice win the Tuesday night.

Ok, so a guy, that has openly said he hates Purdue and Edey, is objective about Purdue and Edey in your opinion. Right...

If the game was called by the rules, yes I'm sure Edey would get more fouls called. IF he's even allowed to start to make a move. Problem is, Edey is fouled before he even gets the ball. Every time. So sure, let's call it per the rules. Every team's front line would foul out before half.

I watch every Purdue game. Sounds like you only watch chopped up clips if you think Edey is the one always causing the tangled arms.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT