ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully this will end the Alford talk...

hey, you guys are probably good dudes. i have no reason to think otherwise. we agree to disagree but not sure why you are questioning and/ or are surprised by the vitiriol. i think the celebrity angle is bunk but, again, to each their own.
I'm not surprised, not in the least...it's the world we live in. We search for reasons to be offended.

The difference is that we know that if SA was good enough, if he had won enough, we know that no one would care about something he said 15yrs ago.

He's an easy target. He hasn't won enough, so he's still popular enough that people will feel good about themselves...feel as if they took a moral stand, that they helped take down the tarnished golden boy but he's not so popular that they'll be drowned out.

If he was Billy D you wouldn't be arguing so strongly against him. Would you Demand an apology? Yeah, I believe you'd want your ounce of flesh but for a chance at the title? Privately you'd be singing Indiana, Our Indiana with a smile on your face

Keeping him from coaching because of bad judgement is stupid as are all the people that keep bringing it up to help their own cause.

you're overrating his lack of success as the driving factor. it's more that we have daughters, wives, sisters, mothers...

again, would you want him here had we not won that title or if he had been some average player?

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
I'm not surprised, not in the least...it's the world we live in. We search for reasons to be offended.

The difference is that we know that if SA was good enough, if he had won enough, we know that no one would care about something he said 15yrs ago.

He's an easy target. He hasn't won enough, so he's still popular enough that people will feel good about themselves...feel as if they took a moral stand, that they helped take down the tarnished golden boy but he's not so popular that they'll be drowned out.

If he was Billy D you wouldn't be arguing so strongly against him. Would you Demand an apology? Yeah, I believe you'd want your ounce of flesh but for a chance at the title? Privately you'd be singing Indiana, Our Indiana with a smile on your face

you are missing the whole point. Billy D, to our knowledge, did not enable a rapist.

again, let's put it to rest... no one is changing anyone's view on this

troubled girl? by that you mean "rape victim"?

men of god don't lie? oh geez

anyway, let's put this to rest.
No everyone lies, but to assume that they are when it fits your agenda? No thanks...and yes at that time she was a troubled girl. No one had been convicted of a crime. She was a girl that accused someone of a crime

I don't understand why Alford's coaching record alone wouldn't disqualify him. Nostalgia must be one helluva drug.
I've only seen a couple diehards who truly want SA. I've been defending him as much as anyone and I feel as if I'm like most of the "SA guys" he's not our first choice, but he's on our list

Like I've said after the elite guys say no, I'd call SA before any of the mid major guys.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
No everyone lies, but to assume that they are when it fits your agenda? No thanks...and yes at that time she was a troubled girl. No one had been convicted of a crime. She was a girl that accused someone of a crime

The Catholic church agrees with you

My agenda is anti-rape enablement...call me a rebel if you must lol

I find this whole article to be completely one sided and is only making facts that back that up. It's ironic that the writer is a woman. Probably a feminist or writer trying to make a quick buck. Alford committed no crime and did what he thought was best for all parties.

Ironic? Aren't women the usual victims of rape?

Trying to make a quick buck? She is a victim of rape.

Best for all parties? Pierce's victim just might disagree.

your overrating his lack of success as the driving factor. it's more that we have daughters, wives, sisters, mothers...

again, would you want him here had we not won that title or if he had been some average player?
I think his record isn't bad like alot on here that needs an .800 win percentage. He did something no other IU coach has done and that's win a big 10 championship. I do believe Caligari lost in the first round of the NIT. I also think for all the top talent UK brings in they should make more final fours. Coaching at IU is different than Iowa , New Mexico, SW Missouri St. He has more talent opportunities at Indiana than any of those other schools.

Yes, but after PP was convicted of that crime, he shouldn't have been allowed back on the team. Name another major college team that started a convicted violent sex offender?

Playing basketball for an NCAA school is a privilege, and once you plead guilty to sexual assault to another student resulting in multiple anal stitches that privilege is lost, or should be. Unless you're playing for Steve Alford and are the best player on his team, then you get a red-shirt year, and a return to the starting lineup.

I'm all for second chances and rehabilitation, but PP's second chance was not spending a decade in prison. Regardless of what happened before or after, that singular decision was not a good one, and it doesn't seem SA learned anything from it.

Yes, he made a mistake and mistakes happen, but that mistake showed such a glaring lack of character and complete lack of awareness, sympathy and empathy that he should forever be questioned about it and rightfully so. He's supposed to be a leader and make the hard decisions, that's what leaders do and those decisions are what they are judged by,. In that case he made a bad one, and was a very very poor one and such a poor one, that it should be mentioned every time his name is brought up.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUINSB and hondo314
Ironic? Aren't women the usual victims of rape?

Trying to make a quick buck? She is a victim of rape.

Best for all parties? Pierce's victim just might disagree.
Trying to make a quick buck? I was referring to the writer not the rape victim. I understand that the victim is tramitized and wants to blame every man alive but it is not Alfords fault this happened.

Trying to make a quick buck? I was referring to the writer not the rape victim. I understand that the victim is tramitized and wants to blame every man alive but it is not Alfords fault this happened.

Did you even read the article?

The writer of the story is also a rape victim. The writer is an IU grad and does not want IU to make what she thinks is an obvious mistake.

No but he basically set the second victim up. You can spare me your eloquent response...

No but he basically set the second victim up. You can spare me your eloquent response...
If he did then why is still coaching? You believe what you want to believe but Alford did not enable shit. Pierce is the only one that should be blamed.

In 22 years of coaching, if this is the worst thing he has done (accusations that did NOT get him fired and hired twice afterwards..I'm ok with it. I'm not going to pretend I was there so I will trust the finding of the 3 universities he has coached at since and their research on the matter.

In 22 years of coaching, if this is the worst thing he has done (accusations that did NOT get him fired and hired twice afterwards..I'm ok with it. I'm not going to pretend I was there so I will trust the finding of the 3 universities he has coached at since and their research on the matter.

The old Lawrence Phillips defense...nice

So Alford handled a situation wrong 15 years ago (a situation that he has apologized for) and people want to use that as reasoning to keep him out of Bloomington?

What's happened in the 15 years since? Has he repeated that mistake? Or has he grown from it?

Alford coached at Iowa at a time when every dollar they earned was put into the football program. He was begging for a practice facility that didn't happen. He won 59% of his games there including two B1G tournament titles. What's Iowa done since he left? They've won 52% of their games.

At New Mexico, Alford won 75% of his games. Since his departure, the Lobos have won 59% of their games.

Has Alford had much success in the NCAA tournament? Not really. But before getting the job at UCLA, he hadn't coached at programs that have had tournament success traditionally.

Alford committed no crime and did what he thought was best for all parties.
He did what he thought was best for his team's W's and L's first, for Pierce second and I don't see that he did anything for the girl. Is it known the minister approached her without any involvement from SA? If so I'd not be as upset as I was but I'd need to know that was the case.

Anyway, Don't Hire Him.

He trusted the wrong person, he F'ed up, get over it. you have absolutely no skin in the game so spare us all your righteous indignation
He F'ed up badly. And he's never made it clear that he understands how badly and how all he did F up. And we don't want an IU coach with that baggage so we sure do have skin in the game.

We wouldn't be discussing him, but after the Duke Lacrosse and more recently Safeed Heart football we all should understand that while its better to err on the side of the girl we shouldn't forget that these guys can be targets. I'm sure Dez Wells wishes someone at XU would've been in less if a hurry to be PC and listened to him

So after 15yrs, and no further incidents it wouldn't bother me all that much. At the end of the day, he showed bad judgment, and that's it
Agreed. These guys on here are laughable. SA made a mistake and none of us know all the facts. It's something to bitch about and that's what most of the people on this board do. for some reason he owes them an apology. Typical bs from the entitled mindset of a lot of people these days.

Knight was a hard ass that demanded respect; pretty typical of men his age. Trump talked some bs about a girl on a bus..who gives a shit. I've said and heard way worse on the bus to and from sporting events. It's talk you whiny..most of you need to loosen up a bit. Lil uptight. I bet I could
Make most of you cry hahahhaaha.

Let the bashing begin lol

I would say that PU is hiring a coach better than Crean

Then facts would be presented and you would be wrong. You would laugh at what a scumball they were hiring, and secondly that he had done nothing in 22 years of coaching, even managing a Losing record in year 3 at UCLA, which is almost impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT