ADVERTISEMENT

Last 2 Scholarships

You just Had to say it didn't you... 🙈

So..., do you think he'll end up at Missouri or somewhere else (after his season turns to dogs..t..., thanks to your preseason "kiss of death", accolades...? 😖

Please..., don't hype anymore players... 😉😎

Hopefully, this guy has the strength to overcome the enormous reverse jinx you just threw at him... 😬🤞

So when Mack goes pro after next year, are you going to continue to bring up me being wrong about Tamar (career not over yet btw).

Or will you recall all the players I pegged, like Juwan (stating he was gonna be Perry Ellis lite after his freshmen year and be a stud), Troy Williams (said he would play in the NBA and leave early), or Romeo (said he would not get a 2nd contract and get traded from Boston). :)

Reactions: 76-1
Concur. MM will have some games where he blows it up from 3, ie 30+ points.
His sophomore jump will be something special. Watching him get better throughout his freshmen year was something I haven't seen in awhile. Night and day player from the start of the season to the end. I am excited for him to start dunking on players and finishing strong at the rim.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Some people here will be upset until IU wins it all. They will celebrate for a day then they will start complaining about the upcoming year.
Isn't that the goal every year? To win it all. Not just BT,BTT or final 8 or 4 but the whole shebang. If not , we 've lowered the bar of excellence of execution. In chess, your next move dictates your ability to win. I hope Woody learns that concept at IU.

His sophomore jump will be something special. Watching him get better throughout his freshmen year was something I haven't seen in awhile. Night and day player from the start of the season to the end. I am excited for him to start dunking on players and finishing strong at the rim.
Agree that his jump this year could be pretty big. He isn't likely going to all of a sudden start dunking on people though...I wouldn't think. What he needs to do, more than anything else, to most help this team win more games, is get A LOT better defensively and on the boards.

The good thing is he probably improved defensively more than any other player on our team last year as the season progressed. So he obviously has the awareness and capacity to improve on weaknesses. If he and Malik can defend and rebound at a high level...this team could do some pretty cool things.

Which is crazy. If you know what you are looking at anyway. Woodson runs the same sets as everyone does. Problem he’s had is guys wouldn’t take the shots. Won’t have that problem next year.
i have never claimed to be an X & O guru. But the statement that we run the same sets as everyone??
That does not pass the visual test with me. Can't remember IU looking like UConn ever last season.

i have never claimed to be an X & O guru. But the statement that we run the same sets as everyone??
That does not pass the visual test with me. Can't remember IU looking like UConn ever last season.
We did run a lot of varied zoom type action off high ball screens. Think about the Kansas game, some of the games later in the season where Trey was effective coming off ball screens.

The problem is, and its been the same problem since Woody arrived, we ALWAYS "revert back" to some sort of double post, low movement, dump it down to Malik, Kelel, TJD before them...and then everyone just kind of watches.

I have no way of knowing this, but I believe the post centric stuff has been Woody's main offense. And he's expanded with zoom action type stuff via play calling at times.

It should have ALWAYS been the exact opposite of that. And I've been saying that since a few games in to Woody's first year.

Purdue is one of the few teams, that I've watched, that has successfully ran stuff to specifically set up post action. The difference with them, besides having Edey, is they go about it in varied ways, and there's still quite a bit of off post player movement. But even teams, like UConn, or Carolina, or Kansas, that have had NBA level bigs as well, they don't run much of any offensive stuff that focuses on getting the ball in the post. Basically no one runs that stuff any more, for a reason.

However it happens, whatever the reasoning, I hope this next year Woody runs A LOT more stuff involving the perimeter players more, and a lot less of his double post stuff.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Did IU have UConn type guards? You picked one team to make your point. Pick Purdue. Pick Michigan state. We ran zoom, isolations, horns..etc. just about everyone runs those sets. You can run options out of those sets. So if option one doesn’t work then it can revert to second and third options. IU had 1 option a lot of times which makes it look simplistic. So it’s insane to me that anyone says Woodsons system etc… if we had those guards you would see a similar offense as everyone else. What you are trying to do is get a mismatch and or the defense trailing. We had no one but our posts that was option 1. Next year we will have 3-4 options on the floor and if I hear one more person say we didn’t play 4 out I give up. We most certainly had many 4 out sets.

Did IU have UConn type guards? You picked one team to make your point. Pick Purdue. Pick Michigan state. We ran zoom, isolations, horns..etc. just about everyone runs those sets. You can run options out of those sets. So if option one doesn’t work then it can revert to second and third options. IU had 1 option a lot of times which makes it look simplistic. So it’s insane to me that anyone says Woodsons system etc… if we had those guards you would see a similar offense as everyone else. What you are trying to do is get a mismatch and or the defense trailing. We had no one but our posts that was option 1. Next year we will have 3-4 options on the floor and if I hear one more person say we didn’t play 4 out I give up. We most certainly had many 4 out sets.
We also spent extended minutes, in every single game, with X/Gabe/Trey...standing on a wing pump faking with the ball while Malik or Kelel fought for position and posted up. With no other movement. There were a lot of reasons our offense was ranked 100th...but the eye test showed that when we ran more high pick and roll stuff, more regularly, we had a lot more success. There's probably analytics that either prove or disprove this...but I'd bet that when we did run the zoom type stuff, our offense was top 50. We were over 100 because our post centric, double post stuff, was probably 150.

Maybe its a chicken/egg type thing...but from my seat, we were pretty darn effective when we ran high pick and roll, backside zoom action stuff...despite not having "UConn like" guards. We've NEVER been an efficient offense under Woodson, when we're just dumping the ball down to the post. Even with TJD putting up historic numbers, our overall offense was never good doing that. We spiked last year when TJD was pulled away from the basket, and we started utilizing JHS more. Other than that, we've been a "100ish" level offense.

We also spent extended minutes, in every single game, with X/Gabe/Trey...standing on a wing pump faking with the ball while Malik or Kelel fought for position and posted up. With no other movement. There were a lot of reasons our offense was ranked 100th...but the eye test showed that when we ran more high pick and roll stuff, more regularly, we had a lot more success. There's probably analytics that either prove or disprove this...but I'd bet that when we did run the zoom type stuff, our offense was top 50. We were over 100 because our post centric, double post stuff, was probably 150.

Maybe its a chicken/egg type thing...but from my seat, we were pretty darn effective when we ran high pick and roll, backside zoom action stuff...despite not having "UConn like" guards. We've NEVER been an efficient offense under Woodson, when we're just dumping the ball down to the post. Even with TJD putting up historic numbers, our overall offense was never good doing that. We spiked last year when TJD was pulled away from the basket, and we started utilizing JHS more. Other than that, we've been a "100ish" level offense.
It’s the bench that killed us the most. If you look at the starters they were pretty efficient. If you go back and watch. If the first set didn’t work or the mismatch happened early then we went post iso. Well 9 times out of ten our two post guys were the mismatch in that scenario. It’s so obvious too. We will have way better and more options out of any set or iso. Will have legit 5 options now.

Money changes everything, always has always will! Now for Woody, I certainly am not sold. I will recognize however he and this staff are about as good as it gets in the modern NIL era in getting players. They used the rules and their resources about as good as possible. Hat tip for sure on that. Now, win the big ten and make some noise in March. That will shut everyone up.
"That will shut everyone up." Actually, many of us have waited a very long time for the opportunity to shut up...but haven't had a reason to. Can this group be successfully coached on the run? Remains to be seen. Woodson will get his chance. Sink or swim.

Reactions: Cavanagh
It’s the bench that killed us the most. If you look at the starters they were pretty efficient. If you go back and watch. If the first set didn’t work or the mismatch happened early then we went post iso. Well 9 times out of ten our two post guys were the mismatch in that scenario. It’s so obvious too. We will have way better and more options out of any set or iso. Will have legit 5 options now.
I had a long winded post... but it all boils down to... I have watched and rewatched a lot of games and moments... it wasn't just end of shot clock situations. Post ISO is central to Woody's basketball philosophies. He even commented on it multiple times. How he has done it at IU, doesn't work. He's had historically good bigs, and our offenses have been mediocre when working through them. Even with the "weaker" back courts, his offense has been more effective when we've pulled bigs away from the basket, or ran more "modern" stuff.

Different roster makeup this year from what he's had his first 3 seasons. Hopefully that forces or allows some major changes. But I'd bet a lot that when the chips are down, we'll see a lot of Malik post ISOs this year.

I had a long winded post... but it all boils down to... I have watched and rewatched a lot of games and moments... it wasn't just end of shot clock situations. Post ISO is central to Woody's basketball philosophies. He even commented on it multiple times. How he has done it at IU, doesn't work. He's had historically good bigs, and our offenses have been mediocre when working through them. Even with the "weaker" back courts, his offense has been more effective when we've pulled bigs away from the basket, or ran more "modern" stuff.

Different roster makeup this year from what he's had his first 3 seasons. Hopefully that forces or allows some major changes. But I'd bet a lot that when the chips are down, we'll see a lot of Malik post ISOs this year.
Late shot clock is ideal if you want a UConn type result. They worked teams to death on offense. As I said before if the mismatch was already in the post it went straight in. The problem we had also was he had one option to throw it out to. I’m going to say “hopefully” it’s a much better split.

Late shot clock is ideal if you want a UConn type result. They worked teams to death on offense. As I said before if the mismatch was already in the post it went straight in. The problem we had also was he had one option to throw it out to. I’m going to say “hopefully” it’s a much better split.
The problem I have with that is.. even though we haven't had full stables of excellent perimeter players, and our best players have been bigs... we've still been quite a lot better offensively when we've pulled bigs away from the basket and paint area. Either by running high ball screen action, zoom/horn action...OR even by just posting TJD/Kelel further away from the basket. When TJD started catching the ball more on the wing his senior year, and then turning and making passes from that position, or making moves to the basket from that position, rather than the normal lower block post positions...we were A LOT more effective.

And despite having Kelel and Malik, two obvious post mis matches for most teams, we were a lot better offensively this past year when we ran stuff to get the ball moving more, and to get our lesser perimeter players moving and involved.

Woody's words and actions show that he believes in low post ISO. I think he's expanded the "playbook", but until he completely flips it, we're still going to under achieve offensively. Hopefully this past year's experience, and this next roster, is enough to get him to completely flip it.

The problem I have with that is.. even though we haven't had full stables of excellent perimeter players, and our best players have been bigs... we've still been quite a lot better offensively when we've pulled bigs away from the basket and paint area. Either by running high ball screen action, zoom/horn action...OR even by just posting TJD/Kelel further away from the basket. When TJD started catching the ball more on the wing his senior year, and then turning and making passes from that position, or making moves to the basket from that position, rather than the normal lower block post positions...we were A LOT more effective.

And despite having Kelel and Malik, two obvious post mis matches for most teams, we were a lot better offensively this past year when we ran stuff to get the ball moving more, and to get our lesser perimeter players moving and involved.

Woody's words and actions show that he believes in low post ISO. I think he's expanded the "playbook", but until he completely flips it, we're still going to under achieve offensively. Hopefully this past year's experience, and this next roster, is enough to get him to completely flip it.
He's 66 years old...and his fingerprints are all over the offense. I don't think change is likely in the schematics. And, I don't think he's being micromanaged in order to pressure him to change. I think he goes with his own best judgement, period.. Add to that, I doubt he thinks his way is not working and will not work. He's been running the same schemes for decades....and getting the same results. This is why I put less emphasis on changing players....As long as the schemes are the same...the results are too. This is a pivotal year....we will see if he knows how to pivot.

Isn't that the goal every year? To win it all. Not just BT,BTT or final 8 or 4 but the whole shebang. If not , we 've lowered the bar of excellence of execution. In chess, your next move dictates your ability to win. I hope Woody learns that concept at IU.
So you were just as upset in 2007 as you were in 2013?

He's 66 years old...and his fingerprints are all over the offense. I don't think change is likely in the schematics. And, I don't think he's being micromanaged in order to pressure him to change. I think he goes with his own best judgement, period.. Add to that, I doubt he thinks his way is not working and will not work. He's been running the same schemes for decades....and getting the same results. This is why I put less emphasis on changing players....As long as the schemes are the same...the results are too. This is a pivotal year....we will see if he knows how to pivot.
I'm thinking along these lines, somewhat. And its why my expectations for them honestly won't initially be as high as some people's probably will be.

But, having said that, the players he has targeted in the portal do tip his hand a little bit on maybe a little bit of a focus and style change. Not just who he landed, but who it appears he went after. Not as many bigs this year, and the ones he went after were all more defensive and rebounding oriented.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You nailed it with the point that options are available off of many of these sets and high rolls but we have not had to personnel or mindset to execute anything but the basic core set.

I suspect that changes this year.

Yes. Defense became “tolerable” but offensively you could see it coming where he can be a force. Excited to see what he can do next year not only individually, but for the team.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
No credit is given for accumulating talent. Credit is given for winning, and doing it within the rules with kids who are student athletes. Purdue is winning. IU needs to be winning more.

It is downright embarrassing to have guys getting to the NBA from an IU team that can't even make the 68-team field. Talk about not maximizing potential.

At least when Knight barely squeaked out 19 wins, A) he still made the tourney, B) he did it with guys like Luke Jiminez or Lyn Washington, C) you could expect his players to graduate and represent the university instead of play one year and bolt to the NBA, and D) his teams were better than the sum of their parts.

A good litmus test for Woodson is seeing if he can finish top 4 in the league and make the tourney the next 2 years. That isn't even that high of a bar, but it's what is needed to get back to the point where Indiana has a reciprocating winner like Teri Moren has.

Archie Miller says HI!!

Will see if this happens.

Jim Coyle
@jimcoyleISB
·
Sources: Indiana is expected to complete its roster by filling the final towo open spots with Ukrainian big man Nikita Konstantynovskyi and Alex Hemingway.

Jim works for Rivals.

(He misspelled Hemenway if are lookingfor who he's talking about)

If this is true then we really did hit a homerun this off season. Coach has to get these pieces to work together but he gets an A for team composition.

It's unfortunate that the back-up 5 spot is potentially so important, but we can only offer 5-10M of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT