ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully IU gets Duke or UNC in BIG/ACC Challenge

What a sweet schedule if we play Kansas, Arizona, and either Duke or UNC next year!!! Awesome
Doubtful. Obviously, they are looking first for the best matchups for ratings, but they do also try and balance it against where you finished in conference and they were 1 and 2 in the ACC while we were what, 7-9th in the B10. We'll probably still get a good name, but I don't think we'll get one of those 2.

What a sweet schedule if we play Kansas, Arizona, and either Duke or UNC next year!!! Awesome
I'm guessing Syracuse. Both finished 9th in conference with 9-11 records. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: kkott
Doubtful. Obviously, they are looking first for the best matchups for ratings, but they do also try and balance it against where you finished in conference and they were 1 and 2 in the ACC while we were what, 7-9th in the B10. We'll probably still get a good name, but I don't think we'll get one of those 2.
If TJd comes back I’ll bet you we get Duke or UNC.

I'd like our chances against Duke in a rocking AH. Duke will obviously be very talented but also very young and likely their first appearance in a hostile environment.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I am thinking Louisville.

It's all about TV ratings. Even if IU is picked to finish 12th, they'll get a made for TV matchup that will capitalize on IU's ability to draw eyeballs to TV screens. I don't know who we'll get, but I could name 8/9 teams out of the ACC we will NOT get.
While IU is arguably the best draw in the conference, you need only look at last year’s ratings to see they’re in the same neighborhood is Michigan, Illinois, OSU, etc. as far as the number of viewers their big games draw… it’s not like they’re leagues above everyone else.

While IU is arguably the best draw in the conference, you need only look at last year’s ratings to see they’re in the same neighborhood is Michigan, Illinois, OSU, etc. as far as the number of viewers their big games draw… it’s not like they’re leagues above everyone else.
Lol. We were receiving minimal votes and not ranked in the top 25. Most fans are not diehards. What IU has going for it is everyone that went to IU was drilled with basketball for 4 years. Even if they didn't like basketball, it was a topic they knew and the odds of becoming a fan are just a shit ton greater than IL. Just wait till when they click on ESPN and their hoosiers are relevant, they magically will start paying a lot of attention.

When IU is in the top 10 this year, watch the ratings...... They will blow everyone you mentioned out of the water. When IU is good they legit make music videos lol. Now they aren't good videos, but we have a fanbase that can only be matched by a handful of programs. None of those programs are in the B1G. We own that, by a wide margin.

lol

Link?

When it comes to IU in recent years they haven’t been trying to balance who we play at all. TV match-ups seem to be a primary driver. Playing Syracuse last year, basically an “even“ team with us, was a recent anomaly. Since 2015 we have played number 1,3,7 Duke, two of them at Duke, with unranked IU teams (as an example we played at Duke in 2015 after we came off a seventh place finish in the BT and they had won the Natty). We have had other average/poor seasons followed by playing a couple of the top 20 FSU teams.
I won’t be surprised if we get a “name brand” opponent next year but who knows, they might have Syracuse come to Bloomington.

lol

Link?
There was a discussion about this on the CSN board a couple of months ago. (https://csnbbs.com/thread-935699-post-18145410.html#pid18145410). I have not independently verified these numbers though....

This is the list of games that had the most viewers in the Big Ten:

Conference Games Over 1 Million:

Big Ten:
Ohio State at Purdue, Sun. 1/30, noon, CBS, 2.277M
Michigan at Michigan State, Sat. 1/29, 12:30pm, CBS, 1.842M
Ohio State at Maryland, Sun. 2/27, 4pm, CBS, 1.613M
Michigan at Ohio State, Sun. 3/6, 12:30pm, FOX, 1.602M
Illinois at Michigan, Sun. 2/27, 2pm, CBS, 1.591M
Michigan at Wisconsin, Sun. 2/20, 1pm, CBS, 1.588M
Michigan at Purdue, 2/7, 2:30pm, FOX, 1.337M
Purdue at Michigan State, 2/26, noon, ESPN, 1.315M
Indiana at Purdue, Sat. 3/5, 2pm, ESPN, 1.26M
Indiana at Michigan State, Sat. 2/12, 3:30pm, FOX, 1.22M
Purdue at Illinois, Mon. 1/17, noon, FOX, 1.2M
Maryland at Purdue, Sun. 2/13, 1pm. CBS, 1.198M
Purdue at Wisconsin, Tue. 3/1, 9pm, ESPN, 1.191M
Ohio State at Michigan, Sat. 2/12, 6pm, ESPN, 1.187M
Maryland at Ohio State, Sun. 2/6, 1pm, CBS, 1.15M
Illinois at Indiana, Sat. 2/5, noon, ESPN, 1.109M
Illinois at Purdue, Tue. 2/8, 9pm, ESPN, 1.03M

And the BTT semi-final and final game were:
Big Ten Final: Iowa vs. Purdue, Sun. 3/13, 3:30pm, CBS, 3.585M
Big Ten SF: Michigan State vs. Purdue, Sat. 3/12, 3:30pm, CBS, 3.088M
Big Ten SF: Indiana vs. Iowa, Sat. 3/12, 1pm. CBS, 2.799M

Now that was a thread that was tallying "most watched" games, so it is certainly possible that on average IU has a larger viewership than the other Big Ten teams, but there is certainly data to suggest that the big games of the other Big Ten teams were holding their own against IU.

Last edited:
There was a discussion about this on the CSN board a couple of months ago. (https://csnbbs.com/thread-935699-post-18145410.html#pid18145410). I have not independently verified these numbers though....

This is the list of games that had the most viewers in the Big Ten:

Conference Games Over 1 Million:

Big Ten (10):
Ohio State at Purdue, Sun. 1/30, noon, CBS, 2.277M
Michigan at Michigan State, Sat. 1/29, 12:30pm, CBS, 1.842M
Michigan at Purdue, 2/7, 2:30pm, FOX, 1.337M
Indiana at Michigan State, Sat. 2/12, 3:30pm, FOX, 1.22M
Purdue at Illinois, Mon. 1/17, noon, FOX, 1.2M
Maryland at Purdue, Sun. 2/13, 1pm. CBS, 1.198M
Ohio State at Michigan, Sat. 2/12, 6pm, ESPN, 1.187M
Maryland at Ohio State, Sun. 2/6, 1pm, CBS, 1.15M
Illinois at Indiana, Sat. 2/5, noon, ESPN, 1.109M
Illinois at Purdue, Tue. 2/8, 9pm, ESPN, 1.03M

And the BTT semi-final and final game were:
Big Ten Final: Iowa vs. Purdue, Sun. 3/13, 3:30pm, CBS, 3.585M
Big Ten SF: Michigan State vs. Purdue, Sat. 3/12, 3:30pm, CBS, 3.088M
Big Ten SF: Indiana vs. Iowa, Sat. 3/12, 1pm. CBS, 2.799M

Now that was a thread that was tallying "most watched" games, so it is certainly possible that on average IU has a larger viewership than the other Big Ten teams, but there is certainly data to suggest that the big games of the other Big Ten teams were holding their own against IU.
Indiana set two FS1 records in one week this year.

Indiana set two FS1 records in one week this year.
Yes, that is absolutely true.....

...with both games being under 1 million viewers (811,000 and 954,000).

You questioned Fighter's contention that viewership of the other league members big games were on par with IU games, I provided information to confirm that.

That doesn’t matter.
We played Duke in 2017 and then 2018
We played FSU in 2019 and then 2020.

I think we will play Syracuse, Duke, UNC or UVA.
someone said Lville above and that would make sense too and also be a geographic and historical rival too. I'd guess them or UVA.

No, IU will be playing Duke or UNC this year and you can bank that. It better be a home game as the have played at Duke twice recently

Yes, that is absolutely true.....

...with both games being under 1 million viewers (811,000 and 954,000).

You questioned Fighter's contention that viewership of the other league members big games were on par with IU games, I provided information to confirm that.
That data (if accurate) is a small sample of highly- viewed games on national networks. That would a part of the story, the larger part being the YTD data covering all games on all outlets. IU didn't get a lot of national games last year.

• Haha
Reactions: PurdueGator2
That data (if accurate) is a small sample of highly- viewed games on national networks. That would a part of the story, the larger part being the YTD data covering all games on all outlets. IU didn't get a lot of national games last year.
It would be one thing if the IU games that were on the national games list were the top viewed games in the conference, but they weren't. The first games involving IU come in at 9th and 10th of the most viewed Big Ten games during the regular season.

I mean, I guess I understand that you are trying to argue a chicken / egg concept. If IU had been on more nationally televised games, they would have had more viewership, but the reason they were relegated to FS1 / etc. is because the networks believed that the other games would garner more viewers.

Hunter said "While IU is arguably the best draw in the conference, you need only look at last year’s ratings to see they’re in the same neighborhood is Michigan, Illinois, OSU, etc. as far as the number of viewers their big games draw… it’s not like they’re leagues above everyone else." You laughed at that, but the numbers bear it out (assuming that they are accurate from the source linked).

It would be one thing if the IU games that were on the national games list were the top viewed games in the conference, but they weren't. The first games involving IU come in at 9th and 10th of the most viewed Big Ten games during the regular season.

I mean, I guess I understand that you are trying to argue a chicken / egg concept. If IU had been on more nationally televised games, they would have had more viewership, but the reason they were relegated to FS1 / etc. is because the networks believed that the other games would garner more viewers.

Hunter said "While IU is arguably the best draw in the conference, you need only look at last year’s ratings to see they’re in the same neighborhood is Michigan, Illinois, OSU, etc. as far as the number of viewers their big games draw… it’s not like they’re leagues above everyone else." You laughed at that, but the numbers bear it out (assuming that they are accurate from the source linked).
I questioned the validity of the implication being made that other programs e.g. UM, Ill, and Ahia are similar draws.

• Haha
Reactions: PurdueGator2

We are talking a team in the 9th spot all year vs. top 4 teams. A few on historic runs. Put IU on a historic or top 5 run and that narrative shatters. They drew eyes at the same level.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
We are talking a team in the 9th spot all year vs. top 4 teams. A few on historic runs. Put IU on a historic or top 5 run and that narrative shatters. They drew eyes at the same level.
Wow! Michigan and OSU were top 4 teams? Somebody needs to get a hold of the BTT seeding committee 'cause they got some 'splainin to do.

That's a game for the #5 team vs. the #11 team in the Big Ten, late in the year, it had no bearing whatsoever on the Big Ten race, and it still drew 350,000 more viewers than IU's "best" game (which WAS against an AP Top 5 team, which one could argue that the viewers were actually more interested in the other team....)

The conversation here is that IU deserves Duke or UNC as an opponent due to their national draw. Your argument is that, essentially, if IU pulls off a historic run, then the bandwagoners will come back in droves. I don't disagree with that at all. The problem is, we are talking THIS year. If IU knocks out 30 wins this year, they absolutely can justify getting a premiere opponent in 2023. What justifies it before that though?

IU got Duke in 2017 after they won the Big Ten in 2016. Alot of the BT/ACC challenge games went in two year cycles of home / away, so they got Duke again in 2018. Since that time, IU has gone 9th, 11th, 10th, and 9th in the Big Ten and the viewership / attendance has fallen. Since then, IU has faced FSU twice and Syracuse. That is a downward trend in marquee match-ups.

Put a gun to my head: It will be IU vs. Virginia. IU is due a home game (previous two years on the road) and Virginia has had two home games the past two years (or at least, it would have been a home game in 2020 if not for Covid). It wouldn't shock me to see Syracuse again though.

Duke was on the road last year, and I'll bet $100 right now to any taker that they won't be forced to go on the road two years in a row.
North Carolina was in the championship game and is likely going to come into this year as the #1 team. They'll get either Michigan or Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Wow! Michigan and OSU were top 4 teams? Somebody needs to get a hold of the BTT seeding committee 'cause they got some 'splainin to do.

That's a game for the #5 team vs. the #11 team in the Big Ten, late in the year, it had no bearing whatsoever on the Big Ten race, and it still drew 350,000 more viewers than IU's "best" game (which WAS against an AP Top 5 team, which one could argue that the viewers were actually more interested in the other team....)

The conversation here is that IU deserves Duke or UNC as an opponent due to their national draw. Your argument is that, essentially, if IU pulls off a historic run, then the bandwagoners will come back in droves. I don't disagree with that at all. The problem is, we are talking THIS year. If IU knocks out 30 wins this year, they absolutely can justify getting a premiere opponent in 2023. What justifies it before that though?

IU got Duke in 2017 after they won the Big Ten in 2016. Alot of the BT/ACC challenge games went in two year cycles of home / away, so they got Duke again in 2018. Since that time, IU has gone 9th, 11th, 10th, and 9th in the Big Ten and the viewership / attendance has fallen. Since then, IU has faced FSU twice and Syracuse. That is a downward trend in marquee match-ups.

Put a gun to my head: It will be IU vs. Virginia. IU is due a home game (previous two years on the road) and Virginia has had two home games the past two years (or at least, it would have been a home game in 2020 if not for Covid). It wouldn't shock me to see Syracuse again though.

Duke was on the road last year, and I'll bet $100 right now to any taker that they won't be forced to go on the road two years in a row.
North Carolina was in the championship game and is likely going to come into this year as the #1 team. They'll get either Michigan or Wisconsin.
Now you are splitting hairs. Ohio state was at times top 5. Ranked. Michigan while not a top 5 in the BiG was considered a top team in the B1G before the beginning of the season. IU hovered in the Middle or bottom half all year. It’s not apples to apples. IU is/was on a historically bad run but you want to compare those others to them. If IU was on a top 5 run we wouldn’t even be discussing this. I don’t care who they draw.

Now you are splitting hairs. Ohio state was at times top 5. Ranked. Michigan while not a top 5 in the BiG was considered a top team in the B1G before the beginning of the season. IU hovered in the Middle or bottom half all year. It’s not apples to apples. IU is/was on a historically bad run but you want to compare those others to them. If IU was on a top 5 run we wouldn’t even be discussing this. I don’t care who they draw.
and these games were on national network TV vs FS1/BTN. Find a team in the condition IU has been in that still draws like they do. They can't.

and these games were on national network TV vs FS1/BTN. Find a team in the condition IU has been in that still draws like they do. They can't.
I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand. IU literally had arguably the worst prime time schedule except for start times. Wait until next year. If they win those first few big games ratings will be off the charts.

Reactions: 76-1

You realize IU was not ranked during any of those games, right? Do you honestly think there would not be a massive difference in ratings if IU was #7 in the country?

You realize IU was not ranked during any of those games, right? Do you honestly think there would not be a massive difference in ratings if IU was #7 in the country?
the definition of troll.... when IU hits top 10 this coming year the rest of the B1G will be lucky to be close enough to eat our dust in ratings.

No TJD = Louisville, Virginia, or Virginia Tech

TJD = Duke, Carolina, or Louisville

Louisville in Assembly Hall would be awesome...obviously Duke or Carolina would be insane.

Reactions: rocketo and kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT