ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers

Color me skeptical about the presence of some combination of NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL franchises being important in someone’s job decision. Maybe a disc golf course figures highly.
Again I think it’s just perception. Moving to a city with offerings that’s on the map and not some nowhere place. Honestly o get it. Adding an mls team here gave fans something else to do on Saturdays. Something else to follow

If Cig leaves after one year, we will be nothing again. We need great 3-5 year run to keep great momentum.
Money talks; bullshit walks.

If Florida or Florida State were to come up with crazy money he’d be a fool not to leave.

And I get it about his age and “his wife loves Bloomington” but you don’t/can’t walk away from fvck you money.

It would a nice story were he to say something to the effect that “IU gave me this opportunity at a power 5 spot and I intend to honor my commitment so I’m here for the duration” but this isn’t a Hallmark movie.

If Florida or Florida State were to come up with crazy money he’d be a fool not to leave.

And I get it about his age and “his wife loves Bloomington” but you don’t/can’t walk away from fvck you money.

It would a nice story were he to say something to the effect that “IU gave me this opportunity at a power 5 spot and I intend to honor my commitment so I’m here for the duration” but this isn’t a Hallmark movie.
I have an answer, IU needs to give him f#ck you money. Sign him to a 10 year 100 million deal.

The problem is the guys on last year's roster had last year's culture. Adapting them from "close enough" to "exactly coach's way" may not have been possible.
True, but I think Cig would have fixed that in Spring camp.

Still, it would have been much more difficult without those JMU players, although Rourke is not a JMU guy, nor is the RB from Wake Forest (Ellenburger?).

I just haven't seen many coaches with Cig's aura. Maybe Deboer. I find it interesting they both came up through the lower levels.

she's Hawaiian. pac islander
A couple sisters we sit with at football games are part Asian. They were born in Hawaii, but their mother was Philipino. Their dad was an American sailor.

They're still pretty attractive for their ages, but damn, they were smokin' in the pics of them when they were young.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Cig is 100% a Bitcoiner and Dream Teamer.
Bitcoiner
💯

Dream teamer
Meh Billy Crystal GIF by Tony Awards

Rather sad that you consider commitment as something only happening in the movies.

I think Bennet’s reason for retiring is being felt by a number of other coaches who hate the way the portal and NIL is changing college athletics. And I think that’s a shame. We’re going to see individual and unique advertising on player uniforms soon. We’ll see an IU player with “Eli Lilly” where “Indiana” should be, the name of a drug on back and maybe they’ll allow an “IU” on the shorts.
The portal has made IU a football power. Love that Cignetti is doing it with 0, 1, 2 star recruits out of high school, too (44 guys on this team were zero star kids out of high school). I think he stays here and continues to dumpster dive in the portal to kick the blue bloods ass with these former scrubs. Why would he go to an Alabama and get caught up in the bidding war to get the next Arch Manning, when he can take a mid major hockey loving Canadian and make him into the B1G’s best QB?

Reactions: DANC
The portal has made IU a football power. Love that Cignetti is doing it with 0, 1, 2 star recruits out of high school, too (44 guys on this team were zero star kids out of high school). I think he stays here and continues to dumpster dive in the portal to kick the blue bloods ass with these former scrubs. Why would he go to an Alabama and get caught up in the bidding war to get the next Arch Manning, when he can take a mid major hockey loving Canadian and make him into the B1G’s best QB?
Set his kids and grandkids and great grandkids up for life. IU will have to pay $$$$

Reactions: BradStevens
I think Bennet’s reason for retiring is being felt by a number of other coaches who hate the way the portal and NIL is changing college athletics. And I think that’s a shame.

The portal has made IU a football power. Love that Cignetti is doing it with 0, 1, 2 star recruits out of high school, too (44 guys on this team were zero star kids out of high school). I think he stays here and continues to dumpster dive in the portal to kick the blue bloods ass with these former scrubs.

I have no idea where I got this notion and understand it doesn't make any sense, but for some reason it feels like the whole portal/NIL/transfer thing that has changed college sports has been more detrimental to basketball that football. Maybe it's nothing more than a function of the roster size differences between the two. Or maybe it's my perception that the emphasis on social media "fame" is greater with basketball players than footballers.

Reactions: DANC
I'm going to have to disagree a bit. The portal has helped

But coach Cignetti is just that freaking good

He won before portal existed. Google him.

He's not leaving

I'm going to have to disagree a bit. The portal has helped

But coach Cignetti is just that freaking good

He won before portal existed. Google him.
Yes, he’s great, but all of these stars from JMU would need to sit a year before transferring without the portal. Cignetti would no doubt turn the program around, but not by game 7 in his first year without the portal.

@stollcpa and @Univee2
Coach Cignetti is here to stay. Trust me.

Don't forget his dad was a HOF Coach at IUPA

Seriously though, if you've watched anything from him you'll see he's pissed.

He's out to prove something. Look what he's already done. Is that no eneogh? For ****s sake

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
Set his kids and grandkids and great grandkids up for life. IU will have to pay $$$$
He's well on his way there with his current contract. IU, of course, will pay extra, but once you get up in the $40-$50 million range, is $10 or $20 million more all that?

I guess that's just me - if I've got enough money that I need to hire a staff to take care of my portfolio, I feel I've made it. Why take on the extra hassle and risk of going to another place (see Kalen Deboer).

It all boils down to the age old question: when is enough, enough?

@stollcpa and @Univee2

He's out to prove something. Look what he's already done. Is that no eneogh? For ****s sake
Go look at the scene around big sec stadiums. Tenn Alabama. Tenn stadium was insane looking. Anyone that competitive would want to test himself and experience it. It’s just a different animal. But again I’m just profiling. Who knows

I have no idea where I got this notion and understand it doesn't make any sense, but for some reason it feels like the whole portal/NIL/transfer thing that has changed college sports has been more detrimental to basketball that football. Maybe it's nothing more than a function of the roster size differences between the two. Or maybe it's my perception that the emphasis on social media "fame" is greater with basketball players than footballers.
No, that all feels right. When your roster can change year-to-year how can you plan?

Reactions: UncleMark
@stollcpa and @Univee2

I’m not sure you’re reading the room right.

We’re not saying we want him to leave. We fear that the pressure to “move up” to a perennial big-time program will be such that he’ll say, in effect, that this is just too big to ignore.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
No, that all feels right. When your roster can change year-to-year how can you plan?

That turnover thing may be part of what I'm feeling. Basketball players seem to be less patient than football players, insomuch as fewer basketballers would be willing to wait their turn and not play much until they are juniors or seniors. Also, would Isaiah have come back for his sophomore year in this day and age?

I’m not sure you’re reading the room right.

We’re not saying we want him to leave. We fear that the pressure to “move up” to a perennial big-time program will be such that he’ll say, in effect, that this is just too big to ignore.
Perhaps, but then he’ll have expectations set by tradition, which undoubtedly will be more stressful. Is making several million more a year worth it, when you can probably make enough at IU to be set and you can avoid stress that could cause health issues, especially at his age? Ask Urban Meyer about coaching at the highest level and health issues from stress. And frankly, he’s so good he can win a title at IU, especially with the portal at hand.

Go look at the scene around big sec stadiums. Tenn Alabama. Tenn stadium was insane looking. Anyone that competitive would want to test himself and experience it. It’s just a different animal. But again I’m just profiling. Who knows
The same fan base that think Indiana can land almost any basketball coach it wants because of the tradition and rabid, knowledgeable basketball fan base don’t want to admit that football coaches might be attracted to that as well.

The same fan base that think Indiana can land almost any basketball coach it wants because of the tradition and rabid, knowledgeable basketball fan base don’t want to admit that football coaches might be attracted to that as well.
For sure

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT