ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers

I’m not sure you’re reading the room right.

We’re not saying we want him to leave. We fear that the pressure to “move up” to a perennial big-time program will be such that he’ll say, in effect, that this is just too big to ignore.
I doubt he goes anywhere else. He's said as much that he wants this to be his last stop, and his wife LOVES Bloomington, and he does as well.

He's a superstar, and he and Lance Leipold are built the same way inasmuch as Leipold could have gone anywhere he wanted to but chose to stick around in Kansas. Both guys are top 5 coaches in the country. Indiana is going to reward him significantly and Cig is going to get even more NIL money. It is a no brainer for IU.

On the topic of NIL, while we are not Ohio State in NIL, we have far more NIL cash now than what people think, and a lot more in the hopper. There's a couple of reasons Julian Lewis is involved with Indiana: (1) his relationship with the offensive staff, in particular Sunseri; and (2) We can meet his NIL requirements.

As for Cig, he's the master at changing the culture and maintaining his new culture. He's a phenomenal attention to detail guy. The guys who go to practice have repeatedly said that they have never seen a staff practice so fast and hard with such attention to detail at Indiana before. Just look at the development of the players he brought from JMU, or even the IU guys- Mike Katic has gone from a guy who wasn't going to get drafted or even really looked at by NFL scouts to now being a guy that is likely going to get drafted. Look at the unselfish running back room. Everybody blocks, everybody runs routes and nobody complains about carries. Same with the receivers, in particular Sarrat, Cooper and Williams are fantastic perimeter blockers. Unselfish.

What Cig has done is extraordinary, in particular given the woeful talent levels we had the last two-three years. I was told Cig and his staff were shocked and appalled at the lack of speed, athleticism and weight room commitment from the previous roster. When guys like Blidi and Minor leave after spring for more cash, what does Cig do? He goes out and gets West and Ponds--upgrades over the other guys.

Last edited:
I doubt he goes anywhere else. He's said as much that he wants this to be his last stop, and his wife LOVES Bloomington, and he does as well.

He's a superstar, but and Lance Leipold are built the same way inasmuch as Leipold could have gone anywhere he wanted to but chose to stick around in Kansas. Both guys are top 5 coaches in the country. Indiana is going to reward him significantly and Cig is going to get even more NIL money. It is a no brainer for IU.

On the topic of NIL, while we are not Ohio State in NIL, we have far more NIL cash now than what people think, and a lot more in the hopper. There's a couple of reasons Julian Lewis is involved with Indiana: (1) his relationship with the offensive staff, in particular Sunseri; and (2) We can meet his NIL requirements.

As for Cig, he's the master at changing the culture and maintaining his new culture. He's a phenomenal attention to detail guy. The guys who go to practice have repeatedly said that they have never seen a staff practice so fast and hard with such attention to detail at Indiana before. Just look at the development of the players he brought from JMU, or even the IU guys- Mike Katic has gone from a guy who wasn't going to get drafted or even really looked at by NFL scouts to now being a guy that is likely going to get drafted. Look at the unselfish running back room. Everybody blocks, everybody runs routes and nobody complains about carries. Same with the receivers, in particular Sarrat, Cooper and Williams are fantastic perimeter blockers. Unselfish.

What Cig has done is extraordinary, in particular given the woeful talent levels we had the last two-three years. I was told Cig and his staff were shocked and appalled at the lack of speed, athleticism and weight room commitment from the previous roster. When guys like Blidi and Minor leave after spring for more cash, what does Cig do? He goes out and gets West and Ponds--upgrades over the other guys.
Your words to God’s ears.

He's a superstar, but and Lance Leipold are built the same way inasmuch as Leipold could have gone anywhere he wanted to but chose to stick around in Kansas. Both guys are top 5 coaches in the country. Indiana is going to reward him significantly and Cig is going to get even more NIL money. It is a no brainer for IU.

There is a quote about how teams wouldn't take a chance on him.. That makes me a little hopeful he would want to stay to reward IU for being that team.

I was always the one wondering why people making great money would leave for obscene money. But I was always called naive. And largely in athletics, money has ruled. A few players take a cut to be where they want to be or to win, but not many. As much as I don't like Brady, he played with an undermarket contract.

Maybe Cig will be the exception to the rule. I sure hope so. I also wonder how many programs will adopt his strategy, heck with potential, show me production in the portal.

He's a superstar, and he and Lance Leipold are built the same way inasmuch as Leipold could have gone anywhere he wanted to but chose to stick around in Kansas. Both guys are top 5 coaches in the country. Indiana is going to reward him significantly and Cig is going to get even more NIL money. It is a no brainer for IU.

So disappointing to hear about the lack of commitment in the weight room. That's one thing anyone can do - you don't have to be super athletic to commit to weight training.

The difference between winning and building a program here at IU and trying to rebuild or maintain at a storied program cannot be overstated. While the built in advantages are legion at a Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Georgia, Clemson, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame and the like, so are the expectations and the pitfalls. Average 10 wins a year here for a decade, and they will build a statue of you and name a stadium after you. Average 10 wins a year at the above mentioned schools and unless you bring a natty or two in the process, that gets you fired and you are nothing but a footnote on their way to something better.

The difference between winning and building a program here at IU and trying to rebuild or maintain at a storied program cannot be overstated. While the built in advantages are legion at a Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Georgia, Clemson, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame and the like, so are the expectations and the pitfalls. Average 10 wins a year here for a decade, and they will build a statue of you and name a stadium after you. Average 10 wins a year at the above mentioned schools and unless you bring a natty or two in the process, that gets you fired and you are nothing but a footnote on their way to something better.
Yes, Nebraska didn't know how good they had it when they shit-canned Frank Solich and Bo Pelini.

Reactions: All4You
Yes, Nebraska didn't know how good they had it when they shit-canned Frank Solich and Bo Pelini.

Wonder what the buyer's remorse quotient is looking like at the offices of the Bama A.D. and DeBoer right about now?

Wonder what the buyer's remorse quotient is looking like at the offices of the Bama A.D. and DeBoer right about now?
I don't know what 'Bama's situation personnel-wise when Deboer took over. I seem to remember they had a lot hit the portal, but I don't remember.

I have no doubt if they stick with Deboer they'll be back on, or near, the top. He didn't forget how to coach. But Alabama is not patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: All4You
I don't know what 'Bama's situation personne-wise when Deboer took over. I seem to remember they had a lot hit the portal, but I don't remember.

I have no doubt if they stick with Deboer they'll be back on, or near, the top. He didn't forget how to coach. But Alabama is not patient.

I agree, I just used that situation to illustrate just how bad it can be inside the pressure cooker of being "the guy" at a storied CFB program.

Reactions: DANC
I agree, I just used that situation to illustrate just how bad it can be inside the pressure cooker of being "the guy" at a storied CFB program.
Absolutely. The grass isn't always greener. Personally, I thought Deboer was a great fit in Washington and was surprised he left, even for Alabama. Plus, he's been kind of a west coast guy. Life is a little different in the deep south....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT