ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Hysterics Jerry Yeagley interview...

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Hard for me to stomach these guys most of the time, but they do get good guests. The latest episode they interview Jerry Yeagley and it's really good to hear from one of the giants in his sport. Hard to believe at the same time we had he, Doc Councilman and Bob Knight all coaching on campus at the same time. 3 titans of their respective sports. Very good listen!

It's great to see Jerry so active in his early 80s. He was at the College Cup in Louisville and still gets around pretty well from what I hear.

Reactions: kkott
It's great to see Jerry so active in his early 80s. He was at the College Cup in Louisville and still gets around pretty well from what I hear.
Very good interview. He's incredibly thoughtful and lucid, whatever his age, and such a gentleman. He said he gets too tense to watch games even today with his son coaching, until they get to a F4 and then he watches.

Very good interview. He's incredibly thoughtful and lucid, whatever his age, and such a gentleman. He said he gets too tense to watch games even today with his son coaching, until they get to a F4 and then he watches.
I'll never forget being at his last game-the snowstorm in Columbus in December 2003. IU held on for dear life to defeat St. Johns 2-1 for the 6th star.

I'll never forget being at his last game-the snowstorm in Columbus in December 2003. IU held on for dear life to defeat St. Johns 2-1 for the 6th star.
I didn't recall that he went out with an NC; Amazing. And I think they started that season like 2-4-3. After the last loss (think he said it was Butler?), he said he didn't go immediately into the locker room, waited, then walked in and said "maybe I stayed a year too long!" and walked out. Think he said they then reeled off 14 straight wins, and I think they won out. Amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Even more interesting about that 2003 championship game is the 2 players who returned from national team duty by flying all night and then literally stepping right onto the pitch. That tournament was originally scheduled for March 2003, but was postponed due to the Iraq/Gulf War, which is how it ended up in December. I think it was in Dubai.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT