ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Alford quick!

I don’t think there is any topic on this board that has lasted YEARS and generated the animosity of the Alford discussion.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Only coach in history to keep a rapist on his team until he raped again, and did his best to protect him from prosecution for the first rape including calling the victim a liar. If Alford had his way, Pierce would still be out raping women
Why would a Purdue fan care?

Reactions: DANC
Only coach in history to keep a rapist on his team until he raped again, and did his best to protect him from prosecution for the first rape including calling the victim a liar. If Alford had his way, Pierce would still be out raping women
YeahI
But Woodson dodged an embarrassing first round loss...and Alford didn't....So there's that....or something.
just think it’s funny all the idiots on here that get off on Alford losing. Ty his is why some Hoosier fans need to xxxx off.

People like to parrot fake facts that reinforce their viewpoints.

I understand being pro-Alford because he is an IU darling but pining for him to be head coach (no matter how bad the current head coach is) is asinine. He did fine at SWMOST, taking 4 years to turn them back into a NCAA tournament team which is something they haven't done since.

He then moved up to Iowa and took a team that was in the Sweet 16 the year prior, and three out of the prior four years to the tournament, and only ended up matching those three trips in eight seasons. Not to mention the Pierce debacle which I personally believe should keep him out of a coaching job.

He went to New Mexico and coached great for a team with their history, landing him the job at UCLA.

At UCLA he had a similar run to Tom Crean (which I outlined here) despite stacked recruiting classes (UCLA was higher than every post-probation Crean season except the year Alford showed up) and fell extremely flat.

He ended up at the post-Musselman (three straight NCAA trips, including a Sweet 16, before Alford showed up) and missed the tournament three straight seasons before making it last year.

Yes he has a lot of wins. Yes he's brought a record tying amount of teams to the Big Dance. Yes, he's probably better than Woodson in the sense he might actually run a competent offense and give a shit about recruiting. But if you looked at a nameless coach with their history, especially with most of the success coming at mid-majors, no one in here would be excited about them. Does anyone want Mike Brey who has more tournament appearances and gone farther? Or Buzz Williams who has made multiple tournaments at schools in three major conferences? Dana Altman has been one of the more consistent coaches making March Madness and yet no one has mentioned him for the future of IU.

I've rambled long enough but Alford is not fit to be head coach of a power 5 program, much less one where the fans expect annual tournament appearances. Indiana has the money and prestige to pull a top coach, hopefully from another major conference, and that is where we should be looking.
Money and prestige hasn't gotten us ..Jack in over 20 + yrs.

I venture into that cesspool (just to read) when I want to feel better about myself lol.

IU has adequately addressed the RMK disciple requirement for the head coaching position. We've had two former players and one former assistant running the program...and we know what we have. How many of Kentucky's head coaches played for Kentucky? Kansas? IU doesn't need an "IU guy". IU needs a guy that can become an IU guy by building a culture of winning and competing at the highest level consistently. Bob Knight didn't replace Branch McCracken. His legacy was and is his own. Both were IU guys because they built the culture of winning. Find a guy who can build that culture....and he will be an "IU guy"....just like Branch and Bob.

Some irony.....IU is a school that has done a horrible job finding the right coach....while Alford is a coach who has done a horrible job finding the right school.
No, he's tried every school. He's just that bad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT