ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Alford quick!

I take him over Woodson as well. Only coach in history to take teams from 5 different schools to the NCAA tourney.
Only coach in history to keep a rapist on his team until he raped again, and did his best to protect him from prosecution for the first rape including calling the victim a liar. If Alford had his way, Pierce would still be out raping women

Beating a dead horse. Steve's never coaching in Bloomington unless it's at South HS.

Next hire needs to be someone with no previous emotional attachment to IU history. Hire a big gun, tell him he's got 3 yr to get us to the top of the B1G and S16 and beyond. That's the deal, that's the expectation, that's the contract. The next coaching change (likely in 12 months) is probably IU's last chance to right the ship and hang on to past glory. Most all young players today know IU as the program we've labored over since the late yrs of CMD. NO recruiting targets- REPEAT- NO recruiting targets - have ever seen IU in a final 4. REPEAT....NEVER seen IU in a final 4. Never.

This is why I fear the job is not as appealing as we've all convinced ourselves it is. As much as a guy like May, or any other we've mentioned, might think they'd love the job, they know, especially after this year- they may be walking into a hornet's nest. WIth a rabid fan base who now have a very short fuse attached to them.

The next hire has to be the right one. This may be our last chance to resuscitate the program.

The next coaching change (likely in 12 months) is probably IU's last chance to right the ship and hang on to past glory.
Hopefully you are right (regarding “likely in 12 months).

If it’s much longer than that, the ship you want righted may be headed the way of the Elven ship carrying Bilbo.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Last night's total choke job by his Nevada team shows that he would fit right in as our coach! Plus he's got that ever important IU pedigree. LMFAO!
He was in the tourney and the closer mike massive ego woodson was not.

Reactions: DANC
Beating a dead horse. Steve's never coaching in Bloomington unless it's at South HS.

Next hire needs to be someone with no previous emotional attachment to IU history. Hire a big gun, tell him he's got 3 yr to get us to the top of the B1G and S16 and beyond. That's the deal, that's the expectation, that's the contract. The next coaching change (likely in 12 months) is probably IU's last chance to right the ship and hang on to past glory. Most all young players today know IU as the program we've labored over since the late yrs of CMD. NO recruiting targets- REPEAT- NO recruiting targets - have ever seen IU in a final 4. REPEAT....NEVER seen IU in a final 4. Never.

This is why I fear the job is not as appealing as we've all convinced ourselves it is. As much as a guy like May, or any other we've mentioned, might think they'd love the job, they know, especially after this year- they may be walking into a hornet's nest. WIth a rabid fan base who now have a very short fuse attached to them.

The next hire has to be the right one. This may be our last chance to resuscitate the program.
Welll this last hire needed to be the right one as well and they ran out and hired their buddy instead. Nobody really has any hope the iu admins know what the heck they are doing or that they know how to hire coach. They proved this with the last two hires though archie at least had some college success before.

Think about it we fired crean only to go out and hire two guys who are worse.

Only coach in history to keep a rapist on his team until he raped again, and did his best to protect him from prosecution for the first rape including calling the victim a liar. If Alford had his way, Pierce would still be out raping women
We all know Ace.

I've been working on the headstone reading of Steve's coaching career for some time. Here is where I am at:

"Coach Alford....the coach who won the most games of any coach...while actually winning nothing at all".
Some irony.....IU is a school that has done a horrible job finding the right coach....while Alford is a coach who has done a horrible job finding the right school.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and YOTHN

The less IU in our all our future athletic hires the better, including AD. Except Soccer and probably some other smaller sports that have it figured out.

He’s a better person than you.

Uh, Tubby, Kruger, Pitino?
People like to parrot fake facts that reinforce their viewpoints.

I understand being pro-Alford because he is an IU darling but pining for him to be head coach (no matter how bad the current head coach is) is asinine. He did fine at SWMOST, taking 4 years to turn them back into a NCAA tournament team which is something they haven't done since.

He then moved up to Iowa and took a team that was in the Sweet 16 the year prior, and three out of the prior four years to the tournament, and only ended up matching those three trips in eight seasons. Not to mention the Pierce debacle which I personally believe should keep him out of a coaching job.

He went to New Mexico and coached great for a team with their history, landing him the job at UCLA.

At UCLA he had a similar run to Tom Crean (which I outlined here) despite stacked recruiting classes (UCLA was higher than every post-probation Crean season except the year Alford showed up) and fell extremely flat.

He ended up at the post-Musselman (three straight NCAA trips, including a Sweet 16, before Alford showed up) and missed the tournament three straight seasons before making it last year.

Yes he has a lot of wins. Yes he's brought a record tying amount of teams to the Big Dance. Yes, he's probably better than Woodson in the sense he might actually run a competent offense and give a shit about recruiting. But if you looked at a nameless coach with their history, especially with most of the success coming at mid-majors, no one in here would be excited about them. Does anyone want Mike Brey who has more tournament appearances and gone farther? Or Buzz Williams who has made multiple tournaments at schools in three major conferences? Dana Altman has been one of the more consistent coaches making March Madness and yet no one has mentioned him for the future of IU.

I've rambled long enough but Alford is not fit to be head coach of a power 5 program, much less one where the fans expect annual tournament appearances. Indiana has the money and prestige to pull a top coach, hopefully from another major conference, and that is where we should be looking.

I get your point, but he's FAR from the ONLY coach who has done this.

Hyperbole is something...

Reactions: Vern Pain
People like to parrot fake facts that reinforce their viewpoints.

I understand being pro-Alford because he is an IU darling but pining for him to be head coach (no matter how bad the current head coach is) is asinine. He did fine at SWMOST, taking 4 years to turn them back into a NCAA tournament team which is something they haven't done since.

He then moved up to Iowa and took a team that was in the Sweet 16 the year prior, and three out of the prior four years to the tournament, and only ended up matching those three trips in eight seasons. Not to mention the Pierce debacle which I personally believe should keep him out of a coaching job.

He went to New Mexico and coached great for a team with their history, landing him the job at UCLA.

At UCLA he had a similar run to Tom Crean (which I outlined here) despite stacked recruiting classes (UCLA was higher than every post-probation Crean season except the year Alford showed up) and fell extremely flat.

He ended up at the post-Musselman (three straight NCAA trips, including a Sweet 16, before Alford showed up) and missed the tournament three straight seasons before making it last year.

Yes he has a lot of wins. Yes he's brought a record tying amount of teams to the Big Dance. Yes, he's probably better than Woodson in the sense he might actually run a competent offense and give a shit about recruiting. But if you looked at a nameless coach with their history, especially with most of the success coming at mid-majors, no one in here would be excited about them. Does anyone want Mike Brey who has more tournament appearances and gone farther? Or Buzz Williams who has made multiple tournaments at schools in three major conferences? Dana Altman has been one of the more consistent coaches making March Madness and yet no one has mentioned him for the future of IU.

I've rambled long enough but Alford is not fit to be head coach of a power 5 program, much less one where the fans expect annual tournament appearances. Indiana has the money and prestige to pull a top coach, hopefully from another major conference, and that is where we should be looking.
Let me shorten that for you:
dbm has long been known as a dumbass.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT