ADVERTISEMENT

Hindsight is 20-20.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Kevin Wilson was an outstanding on the field coach on the offensive side of the ball. He started as a walk-on player at North Carolina and earned a scholarship his last two seasons playing guard and center. He knew nothing about the offensive side of the ball. He worked hard, paid his dues and ended up with a long run with Oklahoma - on the other side of offensive side of the ball.

Enter Tom Allen with the same problem but in reverse. He knew nothing about the offense but had established himself as a proven defensive coach. Now somebody is going to say wait a minute Tom Allen coached high School football. To that I say "not so fast my friend!" Gerry Faust transferred his high school football knowledge to Notre Dame. We all remember what happened there.

Tom Allen is a much better coach than Kevin Wilson primarily because he didn't bring the same personal baggage. But he still only knows one side of the ball. Kudos to Tom Allen for having the presence of mind to reach into his own pocket to get rid of Sheridan. But he should have dug a little bit deeper so that he wasn't saddled with his same offensive line coach.

Having said that DeBoer managed to be very successful with Hiller. Is Walt Bell going to be able to step up to Kalen DeBoer's shoes?

I am not sold on Walt Bell. At the end of the day I think it's going to cost a good bit of money to fix the problems on the offensive side of the ball.

Incidentally Michael Penix had another big win last night with his old offensive coordinator against Stanford. Pretty impressive what he's doing when he doesn't have to be running for his life.

Kevin Wilson was an outstanding on the field coach on the offensive side of the ball. He started as a walk-on player at North Carolina and earned a scholarship his last two seasons playing guard and center. He knew nothing about the offensive side of the ball. He worked hard, paid his dues and ended up with a long run with Oklahoma - on the other side of offensive side of the ball.

Enter Tom Allen with the same problem but in reverse. He knew nothing about the offense but had established himself as a proven defensive coach. Now somebody is going to say wait a minute Tom Allen coached high School football. To that I say "not so fast my friend!" Gerry Faust transferred his high school football knowledge to Notre Dame. We all remember what happened there.

Tom Allen is a much better coach than Kevin Wilson primarily because he didn't bring the same personal baggage. But he still only knows one side of the ball. Kudos to Tom Allen for having the presence of mind to reach into his own pocket to get rid of Sheridan. But he should have dug a little bit deeper so that he wasn't saddled with his same offensive line coach.

Having said that DeBoer managed to be very successful with Hiller. Is Walt Bell going to be able to step up to Kalen DeBoer's shoes?

I am not sold on Walt Bell. At the end of the day I think it's going to cost a good bit of money to fix the problems on the offensive side of the ball.

Incidentally Michael Penix had another big win last night with his old offensive coordinator against Stanford. Pretty impressive what he's doing when he doesn't have to be running for his life.
Fire ‘em all!!
Press reboot!

I don’t think anyone on this board is sold on Bell either. When you have first and goal and you HAVE to have a TD and then you run four straight ‘vanilla’ plays it doesn’t say a lot for his game planning or his imagination.

I don’t think anyone on this board is sold on Bell either. When you have first and goal and you HAVE to have a TD and then you run four straight ‘vanilla’ plays it doesn’t say a lot for his game planning or his imagination.
I'd agree, defintely not sold on Bell, but to be fair to him, it's pretty easy to defend in the red zone when you know you own the LOS. Outside of Shivers one TD run, we could not run the ball to save our lives, per usual under Hiller, so it's hard to entirely fault Bell for that IMO.

Regarding Bell, UC tallied 96 tackles of 104 offensive plays. IU racked up 27 first downs.
The defense was not hung out to dry by excessive 3 and outs. (IU was 12/25 on 3rd down).
Finding coaches willing to take on the challenge of coaching for IU …
I think makes it too early to excoriate an OC who is 3-1.

I think DJ’s injury impacted Bell’s play calling.
When you rush for one yard per carry all day, and CB is running for his life,
I’m not sure what anyone is supposed to call.

Last edited:
Can anyone honestly say that with the way they played in the first three games that this is a surprise? The OL is still a disaster, the DL isn’t much better and they seem to be poorly coached on the back end of the defense.

We should get a win next week but every game on the road is a test. Michigan And PSU won’t be pretty and OSU will probably put up 60+ on us. I don’t think we have the talent to beat Maryland either. That’s 5 losses. There’s no excuse to not be 6-6 or 7-5. That’s what this team is in this division. I firmly believe if we were in the west we could finish 9-3 or 8-4.

Despite perceived shortcomings …
The defense held Cincy to 5/16 on 3rd down (a .333 season average is top 50),
1.1 yards per carry rushing v. a ‘talented‘ OL. (less than 2 ypc season average is top 5 level performance).
and had eight consecutive stops in the 2nd half.

I’m sure many of us remain baffled about the secondary breakdowns (4 TDs Passing)

Offensive miscues gave UC 14 bonus points in the 2nd quarter …
too big of a hole to climb out of. IU beat itself on that count.

Last edited:
Can anyone honestly say that with the way they played in the first three games that this is a surprise? The OL is still a disaster, the DL isn’t much better and they seem to be poorly coached on the back end of the defense.

We should get a win next week but every game on the road is a test. Michigan And PSU won’t be pretty and OSU will probably put up 60+ on us. I don’t think we have the talent to beat Maryland either. That’s 5 losses. There’s no excuse to not be 6-6 or 7-5. That’s what this team is in this division. I firmly believe if we were in the west we could finish 9-3 or 8-4.
None of this should be a surprise to anyone paying attention. We were horrible last year, particularly on the OL and we did absolutely nothing in the off season that would improve the OL. Guess what, the OL is struggling again but hey, we've already improved on last seasons win total and we've only played 4 games so maybe there is a little hope after all.

Tom Allen is a much better coach than Kevin Wilson primarily because he didn't bring the same personal baggage. But he I only knows one side of the ball. Kudos to Tom Allen for having the presence of mind to reach into his own pocket to get rid of Sheridan. But he should have dug a little bit deeper so that he wasn't saddled with his same offensive line coach.

I'd like to see him throw that BLACK outfit away and dress like a HOOSIER

Reactions: goody1986

Remember IU fans booed Penix last year. His family was there. They are laughing now.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Despite perceived shortcomings …
The defense held Cincy to 5/16 on 3rd down (a .333 season average is top 50),
1.1 yards per carry rushing v. a ‘talented‘ OL. (less than 2 ypc season average is top 5 level performance).
and had eight consecutive stops in the 2nd half.

I’m sure many of us remain baffled about the secondary breakdowns (4 TDs Passing)

Offensive miscues gave UC 14 bonus points in the 2nd quarter …
too big of a hole to climb out of. IU beat itself on that count.
Not sure how long you’ve followed IU football but this game coming up, we have a big probability of laying a giant egg, because that’s what we’ve done in our history. This game really is the entire gauge for Allen’s culture. Is it a different program or just more of the same Indiana that folds in these type of games?

Not impressed with Bell at all. Losing Penix, ugh

Not sure how long you’ve followed IU football but this game coming up, we have a big probability of laying a giant egg, because that’s what we’ve done in our history. This game really is the entire gauge for Allen’s culture. Is it a different program or just more of the same Indiana that folds in these type of games?
Yes, the +5.5 line perhaps says Vegas thinks IU folds … UNL has good enough athletes to put up some scores -- so the defense can’t breakdown like it has.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT