ADVERTISEMENT

Here is What I Do Like About These Hires

I believe Matta will be an invaluable resource to Woodson. Along with Woodson being able to bounce ideas off a guy who ran a high-major program for 13 years, Matta will also provide assistance with recruiting, scheduling, NCAA rules, etc.
Yes a great resource. There will be some NCAA restrictions on what he can acctually do physically based on his job title.

I do not have any information. This is simply what I believe happened based on deductive reasoning.

Dolson's first order of business after firing Archie was going after Brad Stevens. Is there a chance conversations with Stevens' wife (his agent) were underway prior to Archie being fired? Sure, but it doesn't matter at this point. At some point, Stevens ultimately rejected IU's offer in favor of remaining in the NBA.

From there, Dolson likely kicked the tires on Chris Beard, who also rebuffed Dolson. My belief is it was at this point Dolson entered negotiations with Woodson to become the next head coach.

That would seem logical but I wonder about the Beard part. Didn't Dolson reference the NBA when talking about the new coach? If that was a BIG part of who he wanted then Beard doesn't check that box.

Thad Matta never wanted to be the coach. Dolson stated that Matta was passionate about Indiana basketball and wanted to be a part of them getting back. Woodson wanted knowledgeable people around him and asked Dolson to help him with that. Dolson said he thought about Matta when trying to help Woodson with getting help around him. He was very clear that Matta is gonna be an extension of himself with the men's program. You can listen to him discuss here:

Understood. But still, being able to raise the money to send Miller away but not being able to raise the money to retain all the sports programs would be a bad look.
I was told during football season that 4 sports teams were on the chopping block. Two men and two women's teams.

I've not heard any mention of the reduction since, so maybe the funding has been secured. I had heard it would take 3 years to recover from the revenue loss from Covid.

Reactions: UncleMark
Thad Matta never wanted to be the coach. Dolson stated that Matta was passionate about Indiana basketball and wanted to be a part of them getting back. Woodson wanted knowledgeable people around him and asked Dolson to help him with that. Dolson said he thought about Matta when trying to help Woodson with getting help around him. He was very clear that Matta is gonna be an extension of himself with the men's program. You can listen to him discuss here:
Thx. Great job JMV on that long segment with Scott. Interesting that Woody talked about having a collaborative style and specifically mentioning his relationship with Glen Grunwald who is about as good a resource as their is. This makes the Matta aspect even more clear.

Also noted that Buckner had been a resource for Scott as well, which is not a surprise in the least, but now out as fact.

Really a good interview if you have not listened yet.

Reactions: 76-1
It doesn't bother me at all, love the hires, just get good assistants and players. Matta included was a genius move. My God, if we can get good assistants and get back in recruiting soon, it could become a UCLA like dynasty. Both these guys can coach and recruit
Not trying to be a jerk but how do you know Woodson can recruit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT