ADVERTISEMENT

Here is What I Do Like About These Hires

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
As much as i like Fred and the many positive things he accomplished in his tenure, he was not a Football or Basketball man. he is a brilliant lawyer, a skilled funraiser with massive connections and as big an IU guy as there is. What he wasn't is an athletics guy and it showed in his handling of the MBB program...the flagship. Hiring and firing D1 coaches was OTJ training for him.

What Scott, who by the way is at least somewhat connected to the program as a former Manager and working around the joint since Knight, seems to understand is that even he is not a Basketball man nor a former coach who has hired and fired other coaches.

Scott not only has the stones to pull the trigger on Miller despite pandemic optics, potential backlash from the BOT and with a new POTU coming on board but he also has the self awareness to bring in a Basketball man as AAD.

These two men and whomever they hire, may or may not be able to elevate the program back to it's national level and I will let the mouthbreathers jump to those conclusions...but I do like Scott's obvious self-awarenes and willingness to bridge that gap with Matta.

Best wishes...and Go IU!!!

As much as i like Fred and the many positive things he accomplished in his tenure, he was not a Football or Basketball man. he is a brilliant lawyer, a skilled funraiser with massive connections and as big an IU guy as there is. What he wasn't is an athletics guy and it showed in his handling of the MBB program...the flagship. Hiring and firing D1 coaches was OTJ training for him.

What Scott, who by the way is at least somewhat connected to the program as a former Manager and working around the joint since Knight, seems to understand is that even he is not a Basketball man nor a former coach who has hired and fired other coaches.

Scott not only has the stones to pull the trigger on Miller despite pandemic optics, potential backlash from the BOT and with a new POTU coming on board but he also has the self awareness to bring in a Basketball man as AAD.

These two men and whomever they hire, may or may not be able to elevate the program back to it's national level and I will let the mouthbreathers jump to those conclusions...but I do like Scott's obvious self-awarenes and willingness to bridge that gap with Matta.

The best part about is that we basically have the best coach in the B10, albeit with ailments, as a backup and input to Woody. Now, we need players

I like Dolson thus far, but it would be completely dishonest to say that firing Miller didn't benefit him 1000x fold. It was going to be an issue all this year and it was coming to a head on recruiting viability. I think Dolson was dealt a bad hand from the get go and was almost immediately in self preservation mode

Reactions: smitty3725
Winning cures all. Many people don't like the hire, and that's fine. I'm squarely on the fence. All Woodson needs to do is bring in players and win. If he does that, all will be well.

Same here, I will say though, without Matta, I would be firmly in the "this is the best we could do?" category. And I am someone who is very much in favor of a hire with IU roots. I just am not convinced Woodson was the best we could do out of the available IU candidates.

Same here, I will say though, without Matta, I would be firmly in the "this is the best we could do?" category. And I am someone who is very much in favor of a hire with IU roots. I just am not convinced Woodson was the best we could do out of the available IU candidates.
I do not have any information. This is simply what I believe happened based on deductive reasoning.

Dolson's first order of business after firing Archie was going after Brad Stevens. Is there a chance conversations with Stevens' wife (his agent) were underway prior to Archie being fired? Sure, but it doesn't matter at this point. At some point, Stevens ultimately rejected IU's offer in favor of remaining in the NBA.

From there, Dolson likely kicked the tires on Chris Beard, who also rebuffed Dolson. My belief is it was at this point Dolson entered negotiations with Woodson to become the next head coach.

Reactions: Chris A.
I like Dolson thus far, but it would be completely dishonest to say that firing Miller didn't benefit him 1000x fold. It was going to be an issue all this year and it was coming to a head on recruiting viability. I think Dolson was dealt a bad hand from the get go and was almost immediately in self preservation mode
I get this but in reality Scott had 100% cover for keeping AM until next season. It would have been a painful process setting the program back even further. but with new POTU and C19, his back was more than covered.

The other thing I find interesting is the willingness of Woodson and Matta to agree to this tag team arrangement. That tells me that both have a sense of humility and are self aware enough to know that they don't have all the answers. Those are unusual traits for those at the top of this, or any, profession. Whether or not that proves to be a positive remains to be seen.

I get this but in reality Scott had 100% cover for keeping AM until next season. It would have been a painful process setting the program back even further. but with new POTU and C19, his back was more than covered.
As late as the last week of February, I was convinced Dolson would use COVID-19 and related budget shortfalls as the reason he would keep Archie on for another year. I was pleasantly surprised he swung a big stick and handed Archie his walking papers. That in itself has bought Dolson a tremendous amount of credibility for me.

As late as the last week of February, I was convinced Dolson would use COVID-19 and related budget shortfalls as the reason he would keep Archie on for another year. I was pleasantly surprised he swung a big stick and handed Archie his walking papers. That in itself has bought Dolson a tremendous amount of credibility for me.
As long as we don't see reductions in minor sports, then he's home free. If they do end up cutting sports (as has been rumored) he's going to take some heat.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
As long as we don't see reductions in minor sports, then he's home free. If they do end up cutting sports (as has been rumored) he's going to take some heat.
Even if minor sports are cut, it will not be related to Archie's firing. 100% of the buyout money was donated by private boosters. No school funds were allocated.

Even if minor sports are cut, it will not be related to Archie's firing. 100% of the buyout money was donated by private boosters. No school funds were allocated.
Understood. But still, being able to raise the money to send Miller away but not being able to raise the money to retain all the sports programs would be a bad look.

The other thing I find interesting is the willingness of Woodson and Matta to agree to this tag team arrangement. That tells me that both have a sense of humility and are self aware enough to know that they don't have all the answers. Those are unusual traits for those at the top of this, or any, profession. Whether or not that proves to be a positive remains to be seen.
No one knows the specifics of it, so it’s really premature, at best, to make any assumptions as to how they’ll work together.

No one knows the specifics of it, so it’s really premature, at best, to make any assumptions as to how they’ll work together.
It doesn't bother me at all, love the hires, just get good assistants and players. Matta included was a genius move. My God, if we can get good assistants and get back in recruiting soon, it could become a UCLA like dynasty. Both these guys can coach and recruit

It doesn't bother me at all, love the hires, just get good assistants and players. Matta included was a genius move. My God, if we can get good assistants and get back in recruiting soon, it could become a UCLA like dynasty. Both these guys can coach and recruit
UCLA, NE Patriots, Celtics, Yankees, Ming dynasties, all rolled into one.

You know, that is exactly where I was and probably later in the process than you were. I wanted it to happen but I just didn't think the new guy was gonna pull the trigger in this environment. Impressive to say the least.

Reactions: Radio Zero

One win at a time my man. This is the reasonable thread.

I slept on this.....Frankly, I was somewhat optimistic yesterday with Woodson/Matta....Today, I am getting pumped about IU basketball again....starting with hiring hungry assistant coaches....and getting the recruiting process moving. My impression arrow is pointing this way^^^^^^^^!

You know, that is exactly where I was and probably later in the process than you were. I wanted it to happen but I just didn't think the new guy was gonna pull the trigger in this environment. Impressive to say the least.
I agree, I was surprised too. I thought the only way AM wasn't coming back and C19 used as the excuse was unless he completely lost out. He did though, even when I was expecting Doug Flutie or Crean to show up and throw a Hail Mary. Liking Dolson so far

I slept on this.....Frankly, I was somewhat optimistic yesterday with Woodson/Matta....Today, I am getting pumped about IU basketball again....starting with hiring hungry assistant coaches....and getting the recruiting process moving. My impression arrow is pointing this way^^^^^^^^!
It's wonderful. It's almost exactly what Michigan did and maybe even better after we hire assistants. Doesn't seem real. You know who is really excited is the B10 network, who I haven't paid for in almost 6 years, and there's probably at least a hundred thousand or more fans that felt the same way

It's wonderful. It's almost exactly what Michigan did and maybe even better after we hire assistants. Doesn't seem real. You know who is really excited is the B10 network, who I haven't paid for in almost 6 years, and there's probably at least a hundred thousand or more fans that felt the same way

Well, as I said it touches the long overdue need to have a guy that understands Indiana Basketball AND a guy with sucess in the BIG.

They have to win...period but as I said before I would set the tone RIGHT UP FRONT by having any player in the portal interview for their old position on the roster.

Reactions: 76-1
I felt there was no possible way Dolson could keep Archie for another year -- covid be damned -- after the team wilted in the final five minutes of the loss at Michigan State on March 2nd. The loss at Purdue to end the season only confirmed what I was already thinking.

The silver lining was being able to buy tickets to the Big Ten Tournament so I could witness the final page of the Archie Miller era at IU.

He would, but given the sourcing of the funds it would be unfair. Comes with the territory and he knows it.

Another thing people don't realize about Scott is that while many grads were hesitant to rip Fred, they were not afraid to rip on his assitant. Not to mention Fred passed a lot of those calls and emails to Scott.

I felt there was no possible way Dolson could keep Archie for another year -- covid be damned -- after the team wilted in the final five minutes of the loss at Michigan State on March 2nd. The loss at Purdue to end the season only confirmed what I was already thinking.

The silver lining was being able to buy tickets to the Big Ten Tournament so I could witness the final page of the Archie Miller era at IU.

IMO the fans that booed AM helped us all.

I'd like to get the backstory on how Matta went from HC candidate to hired as AAD for Basketball. That he "failed his physical" seems to be debunked, but a decision was made (allegedly by him?) that he was not going to be considered for HC, yet we still created a position for him.

I'd like to get the backstory on how Matta went from HC candidate to hired as AAD for Basketball. That he "failed his physical" seems to be debunked, but a decision was made (allegedly by him?) that he was not going to be considered for HC, yet we still created a position for him.
He didn’t fail a physical, and that report was pretty universally debunked.

Maybe it was part of a deal where he would get a job in return for him not suing IU for leaking the “failed” physical thing.

It benefits both of them. Matta gets back in "the game" in some capacity. His health was clearly an impediment to his ever coaching again, and this allows him to take on a big role in a P5 basketball program. I'm sure he was tired of sitting around watching on TV. Now he's a player again.

For Woodson, he's got a seasoned coach to guide him through the logistics of being a college coach. I'm sure Woodson can coach basketball, but that's a small part of what running a college program is all about. Having a guy like Matta to help him find the way will be invaluable for him.

Win for both of them.

It benefits both of them. Matta gets back in "the game" in some capacity. His health was clearly an impediment to his ever coaching again, and this allows him to take on a big role in a P5 basketball program. I'm sure he was tired of sitting around watching on TV. Now he's a player again.

For Woodson, he's got a seasoned coach to guide him through the logistics of being a college coach. I'm sure Woodson can coach basketball, but that's a small part of what running a college program is all about. Having a guy like Matta to help him find the way will be invaluable for him.

Win for both of them.
I believe Matta will be an invaluable resource to Woodson. Along with Woodson being able to bounce ideas off a guy who ran a high-major program for 13 years, Matta will also provide assistance with recruiting, scheduling, NCAA rules, etc.

Reactions: 76-1
There may be some ties to that but we will neve know.

any shot breaking UCLA win streak of 88 games ?

Are we even sure Matta was a HC candidate? Less than 24 hours after Stevens firmly said "no" Bozich mentioned that IU had reached out to both Matta and Woodson. Perhaps it's possible this was the plan all along? I struggle seeing where Matta one day withdraws his name from consideration only to take an administrative role less than a week later. Dolson nor anyone associated with IU commented on the potential coaching search until a deal with Woodson was finalized. Everything else is hearsay and unfounded by outside outlets and anonymous "sources". It is a very real possibility that Stevens was plan A (and why wouldn't he be) and Woodson/Matta was plan B. We have so many people worked up about Woodson being plan X because such and such "allegedly" said no.

I wonder if Thad was ever offered the coaching job, or if he told Dolson the only way he'd come is in an AD like position. It seems if he wanted, or if he felt he was healthy enough, he'd be on the bench. If trying to land an AD job somewhere is his goal, I think he'll be gone in a few years.

Are we even sure Matta was a HC candidate? Less than 24 hours after Stevens firmly said "no" Bozich mentioned that IU had reached out to both Matta and Woodson. Perhaps it's possible this was the plan all along? I struggle seeing where Matta one day withdraws his name from consideration only to take an administrative role less than a week later. Dolson nor anyone associated with IU commented on the potential coaching search until a deal with Woodson was finalized. Everything else is hearsay and unfounded by outside outlets and anonymous "sources". It is a very real possibility that Stevens was plan A (and why wouldn't he be) and Woodson/Matta was plan B. We have so many people worked up about Woodson being plan X because such and such "allegedly" said no.
No, there is no information available that confirms if TM was an active candidate for HC or not. In fact Scott has actually said that Thad wanted to be a resource and not the HC.

Lol. How about we start with maybe just making the tourney again and see where it goes from there?

I think Penn State made the best hire of the offseason in the Big Ten. IU got the biggest headlines but I fully expect Penn State and Minnesota to be more successful over the next few years.

I think Penn State made the best hire of the offseason in the Big Ten. IU got the biggest headlines but I fully expect Penn State and Minnesota to be more successful over the next few years.
Based on what? Micah Shrewsberry has 3 years HC experience at an NAIA school and is mostly revered for his time spent as an assistant with the Celtics. Ben Johnson hasn't been a head coach, ever. You would have shit a brick if IU hired a college assistant. This is you being pedantic.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Scott didn't approach Matta until AFTER Woodson was the target. He briefly referenced it in the press conference. So, all the Matta stories were BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT