ADVERTISEMENT

Hay Jeopardy! nerds

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
So they are wrapping up Alex's last shows at the beginning of the year, then we move to an endless rotation of guest hosts before they name someone. Apparently, everyone's "lock" Ken Jennings has been making an ass of himself. I guess he made the mistake of spending the last ten years saying things that were funny*, and that's coming back to bite him in the ass. Then today there is something going on with some guy named "Bean Dad," and I swear to God I don't think I even want to understand this nonsense.

But if Ken flames out, my guy is still sitting there ready to go. I'm saying LeVar Burton for the next Jeopardy! host.

* I mod the AOTF, so I'm probably not a very good judge of appropriateness.

I see Ken says he does not want the job. It might be he was told he isn't going to get it and is getting out in front. He, James, and Brad have their new show starting this week.

So they are wrapping up Alex's last shows at the beginning of the year, then we move to an endless rotation of guest hosts before they name someone. Apparently, everyone's "lock" Ken Jennings has been making an ass of himself. I guess he made the mistake of spending the last ten years saying things that were funny*, and that's coming back to bite him in the ass. Then today there is something going on with some guy named "Bean Dad," and I swear to God I don't think I even want to understand this nonsense.

But if Ken flames out, my guy is still sitting there ready to go. I'm saying LeVar Burton for the next Jeopardy! host.

* I mod the AOTF, so I'm probably not a very good judge of appropriateness.
If Ken Jennings is too controversial for hosting jeopardy then it’s just another example that nobody will be woke enough to have a seat at the table.

amen and awomen

I am not sure why they are opting for two hosts, Richards for the daily show and Bialik for primetime specials and tourney of champions. Both did well, I don't think either is a bad choice. But I like the one host, the continuity. I don't see what two brings to the table.

This computer science PhD from Yale that has won 15 games in a row is quite a player.

I'm not feelin' Joe Buck so much as a host. I liked Bialik a lot, and didn't really expect to.

edit: I see the news on Bialik & Roberts. I thought that they were the two best

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
So according to Twitter the now former exec producer taking over has some misogyny issues in his past. Though for NBC this is progress. They could have brought Matt Lauer back.

So according to Twitter the now former exec producer taking over has some misogyny issues in his past. Though for NBC this is progress. They could have brought Matt Lauer back.
Lauer is currently working on his new show alongside Andy Cuomo on CNN. "The Sausage Fest".

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
This computer science PhD from Yale that has won 15 games in a row is quite a player.

I'm not feelin' Joe Buck so much as a host. I liked Bialik a lot, and didn't really expect to.

This champion is real good. Many games I come away thinking that, if fast enough on the buzzer, I would have a chance. He is one that I really wouldn't beat very often. His width of knowledge is excellent.

I thought that was Ken Jennings with the issues.

IU alum

The choice of Mike Richards isn't going over well in the /r/jeopardy subreddit. Most see him as having gamed the process from the beginning and having set himself up as The Man. This article gives a bit of background...

“Is it ever a situation where the assistant to the Dalai Lama, in the process of searching for the new Dalai Lama, discovers it’s him?” asked Roderick.

“Like Dick Cheney?” Jennings said, chuckling. “Or Mike Richards.”

The choice of Mike Richards isn't going over well in the /r/jeopardy subreddit. Most see him as having gamed the process from the beginning and having set himself up as The Man. This article gives a bit of background...

“Is it ever a situation where the assistant to the Dalai Lama, in the process of searching for the new Dalai Lama, discovers it’s him?” asked Roderick.

“Like Dick Cheney?” Jennings said, chuckling. “Or Mike Richards.”
He was my choice based on performance alone. Burton was my second.

He was my choice based on performance alone. Burton was my second.
I think they messed up having the guest hosts. No matter who was selected, all the others had advocates that would be angry. Richards may be the exec producer for Jeopardy, but Sony made the call. He did an excellent job. Burton was always going to be my sentimental favorite, but it is undeniable that Richards handled the job as well as anyone.

I thought the news people were uniformly bad. On the surface, doing a short interview and asking questions off a teleprompter would seem to be right up their alley.

I think they messed up having the guest hosts. No matter who was selected, all the others had advocates that would be angry. Richards may be the exec producer for Jeopardy, but Sony made the call. He did an excellent job. Burton was always going to be my sentimental favorite, but it is undeniable that Richards handled the job as well as anyone.

I thought the news people were uniformly bad. On the surface, doing a short interview and asking questions off a teleprompter would seem to be right up their alley.

I think the point of having all of the guest hosts was to help people get over Trebek. Had they gone straight from Trebek to another host, the comparisons would have been brutal. By having a dozen or more hosts and a bunch of time go by, it makes the transition for the new host a lot easier. People are used to Trebek being gone.

I think the point of having all of the guest hosts was to help people get over Trebek. Had they gone straight from Trebek to another host, the comparisons would have been brutal. By having a dozen or more hosts and a bunch of time go by, it makes the transition for the new host a lot easier. People are used to Trebek being gone.
Let me make a revision, the problem wasn't having the guest hosts it was using them as a tryout. The options should have been you can guest host, or you can be considered for permanent, but not both. In the social media universe, opinions harden fast and solid. Even if candidate A was the best and loved by 25% which is far above the other 12 candidates, that's 75% who are going to be unhappy. Replacing a legend with an interim that then gets the job has a negative connotation in these parts.

I think everyone that was a guest host, except Burton and Richards, would have done it knowing they wouldn't be considered. Especially once the "can only host Jeopardy" requirement was made, I couldn't see any of the others doing that no matter how much we all wish Aaron Rodgers would.

Let me make a revision, the problem wasn't having the guest hosts it was using them as a tryout. The options should have been you can guest host, or you can be considered for permanent, but not both. In the social media universe, opinions harden fast and solid. Even if candidate A was the best and loved by 25% which is far above the other 12 candidates, that's 75% who are going to be unhappy. Replacing a legend with an interim that then gets the job has a negative connotation in these parts.

I think everyone that was a guest host, except Burton and Richards, would have done it knowing they wouldn't be considered. Especially once the "can only host Jeopardy" requirement was made, I couldn't see any of the others doing that no matter how much we all wish Aaron Rodgers would.

I would contend that none of the guest hosts were ever in contention and that it was likely Mike Richards' gig (to lose) from the beginning. The whole tryout routine was a sham. It's no accident that Richards' stint happened to come at the beginning when Jeopardy's rating were at their very peak.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The only TV news guy that I thought was OK was Sanjay Gupta, and he was middle of the pack.

My own ratings, best to worst (I may be missing some)

Mayim Bialik
Mike Richards
Buzzy Cohen
Ken Jennings
LeVar Burton
Robin Roberts
Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Anderson Cooper
Aaron Rodgers
Savannah Guthrie
George Stephanopoulos
Katie Couric
Joe Buck
Dr. Mehmet Oz

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Not so flattering article on Mike Richards. Regardless of whether you think he's a snake though, it sounds like he wants to glitz Jeopardy up a bit. I'm not sure how the diehard fans will like that, since they consider Jeopardy unique among game shows.

A Smile with Sharp Teeth, Mike Richards rise poses question about his past.

Reactions: outside shooter
Didn't people also dig up dirt on Ken Jennings? Not to defend Richards, but just about anyone picked would have had dirt dug up on them, deserved or not.

Reactions: UncleMark
Didn't people also dig up dirt on Ken Jennings? Not to defend Richards, but just about anyone picked would have had dirt dug up on them, deserved or not.

A lot of the pushback on Richards isn't so much about stupid shit like using "boobies" in a podcast, but his behind the scenes conniving to make the job his while pretending not to. He seems like a shifty little shit who rigged the game in his own favor from the beginning. Hence the smile with sharp teeth.

Not so flattering article on Mike Richards. Regardless of whether you think he's a snake though, it sounds like he wants to glitz Jeopardy up a bit. I'm not sure how the diehard fans will like that, since they consider Jeopardy unique among game shows.

A Smile with Sharp Teeth, Mike Richards rise poses question about his past.
I sure hate the idea of glitz, BUT I suspect Jeopardy's demographics skew old. It may be necessary. But Richards sure sounds like a snake. And it appears more stuff about his podcast has come out. He may not last much longer.

I sure hate the idea of glitz, BUT I suspect Jeopardy's demographics skew old. It may be necessary. But Richards sure sounds like a snake. And it appears more stuff about his podcast has come out. He may not last much longer.

I doubt that these old podcast comments are enough to get him pushed out. That would be a seriously humiliating situation for the show after all of this.

The Jeopardy subreddit is near universal in their opposition to Richards, but it's less about these old controversial comments that what they perceive as the disingenuous way he seemed to manipulate the process into getting himself into the job. As you say, he seems like a snake.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I read somewhere that perhaps the first option was giving the entire gig to Mayim Bialik, but she has too many acting contractual committments in the upcoming couple of years, commitments that could not be bought out, to allow her to fulfill the full-time role.

If the Richards deal goes south then it might drop further down the list.

I haven't paid any attention to the Richards news, but nowadays if you've ever shown your ass any time in the last twenty years since we all started living online, it's a wonder anyone can get a job. And no, I'm not making a "political correctness" play, just saying that any untoward behavior, no matter how isolated or brief or out of context, can and will be found and held against you.

You're saying that my rivals posts, particularly on the AOTF, will keep me from being president? Damn...

You're saying that my rivals posts, particularly on the AOTF, will keep me from being president? Damn...

Hell, just Liking a post on AOTF would get someone canceled nowadays.

I'm lucky that Usenet is such an obscure corner of the Internet, otherwise...

Five bucks says there's been at least one Usenet message I've read and said, "WHAT THE FLYING F*CK?!?!?!?!?!" and it was actually you.
Perhaps. But the truth of the matter is my Usenet persona is not really any different than my Cooler persona, with some minor allowances for the "culture" differences. I could never pull off being a sockpuppet or a troll (in the true sense of the word).

At any rate, those Usenet posts and my postings here would get me canceled in most any respectable arena.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT