ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone noticed

ESalum86

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
..the black IU jerseys the recent commits are shown wearing. Personally, I like them. I realize it doesn't mean anything in December but perhaps a new coach means new uni's in 2024. I'd be all in with crimson helmets and pants with black home jerseys and white road jerseys.

I like the red helmet in the picture of Ndukwe with the trident logo and white stripe down the middle.

I hope we pick a helmet design and stick with it. I would probably stick with Red jerseys for home, white jerseys away and use black as an alternate for 1 home game. Always a red helmet though.

..the black IU jerseys the recent commits are shown wearing. Personally, I like them. I realize it doesn't mean anything in December but perhaps a new coach means new uni's in 2024. I'd be all in with crimson helmets and pants with black home jerseys and white road jerseys.
Like the black a lot. Lots of black IU gear these days.

Red helmet with standard logo. No stripes. And whatever jersey is worn (red, white, or black) always matches the pants. Hell to the no on black jerseys with red pants. 🤮

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
since true crimson is not the same as “red”

& true cream is not the same as “white”

I would prefer something like Harvard’s uniforms-and the fewer stripes (helmets AND pants) the better IMO-that kind of uni would be more distinctive and recognizable than the current ones, which for me too closely resemble Nebraska, Wisconsin and Rutgers (among others)

since true crimson is not the same as “red”

& true cream is not the same as “white”

I would prefer something like Harvard’s uniforms-and the fewer stripes (helmets AND pants) the better IMO-that kind of uni would be more distinctive and recognizable than the current ones, which for me too closely resemble Nebraska, Wisconsin and Rutgers (among others)
If we're going that route then lets use the SF 49ers uniform with the stand alone pitchfork (IU Interlock) IU logo on the helmet rather than the oval...

I prefer our historic deep red (Crimson) and White (Cream) myself but I'm more interested in the inbound players at the moment...

I'll go full on uniform and mascot madness around 2/20 after we have a reasonable idea of who's actually playing for us 😎...

Last edited:
Black at IU sucks on any team uniform, but I agree with posters above, the color black seems to be showing up more and more in the Adidas closet. I hate the idea of it. Stick to the school colors or at least Crimson and White.

If we're going that route then lets use the SF 49ers uniform with the stand alone pitchfork IU logo on the helmet rather than the oval...

I prefer our historic deep red (Crimson) and White (Cream) myself but I'm more interested in the inbound players at the moment...

I'll go full on uniform and mascot madness around 2/20 after we have a reasonable idea of who's actually playing for us 😎...
I remember when Hayden Fry took over at Iowa he openly admitted he was going to replace their uniforms and model their new ones after the Steelers.

Truthfully, the uniforms are not a priority for me.

Like the black a lot. Lots of black IU gear these days.

I do as well and pointed this out in another thread. Cig is having all the recruits appear in them. There were several posters who said they hated them.

My response: the coach is changing the mindset, expectations and brand. We should shed everything related to our loser past. Perhaps some folks didn’t get the memo?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I do as well and pointed this out in another thread. Cig is having all the recruits appear in them. There were several posters who said they hated them.

My response: the coach is changing the mindset, expectations and brand. We should shed everything related to our loser past. Perhaps some folks didn’t get the memo?
More likely someone in the on campus recruiting office thought they looked good and were available and went with them... Cignetti has bigger fish to fry right now then framing up the recruit photos..., in my opinion..., but who knows maybe he likes them... He hasn't had any coins and assorted other small items thrown at his head yet by the p u faithful so he probably really doesn't have a feel for the depth of the rivalry yet...

I don't think they look bad; I just don't feel they represent INDIANA Football...

Our uniforms historically (in the modern era of 1965-2023) have primarily been dark red (Crimson) and white (Cream)...( with occasional deviations); to go with our arch rivals color scheme on the whim of some marketing underling at Adidas is just wrong on several levels in my opinion...

When the fans have been chosing black gear for years...perhaps it is time.

More likely someone in the on campus recruiting office thought they looked good and were available and went with them... Cignetti has bigger fish to fry right now then framing up the recruit photos..., in my opinion..., but who knows maybe he likes them... He hasn't had any coins and assorted other small items thrown at his head yet by the p u faithful so he probably really doesn't have a feel for the depth of the rivalry yet...

I don't think they look bad; I just don't feel they represent INDIANA Football...

Our uniforms historically (in the modern era of 1965-2023) have primarily been dark red (Crimson) and white (Cream)...( with occasional deviations); to go with our arch rivals color scheme on the whim of some marketing underling at Adidas is just wrong on several levels in my opinion...
The further we can get from what represents or feels like Indiana football over that time period the better we will all be. I’ve been a life long fan and have been marching into games regularly for 30+ years. While I might be a glutton for punishment, I’m not a damn sadist. There is nothing about our program worth holding onto for the sake of our history. Let’s change our look, mindset, and establish a new identity.

Now in hopes that my statement doesn’t upset the peanut gallery too damn much, I’ll appease the passionate few and say the changes can include the bison 😂

Player development. Smarter coaching. Better preparation. Uniforms and mascots are distractions for when programs have run out of real ideas.
No one ever said these should be discounted. The point I made is that why I’m God’s name are we dying to hold onto a tradition of utter disappointment. Someone made a point that adidas seems to be pushing all blacks. While that may not be true, it seems to be at least rooted in logical observations. Why would they do that? Because there is a demand! Uniforms have appeal to players regardless of if you want to acknowledge it. Change the optics, and change the mindset top to bottom. Ironically, I am usually huge on tradition, and in most cases would be very much on the other end of the conversation. Yet, I can’t make sense of circling the wagons on a tradition that has been nothing short of awful.

No one ever said these should be discounted. The point I made is that why I’m God’s name are we dying to hold onto a tradition of utter disappointment. Someone made a point that adidas seems to be pushing all blacks. While that may not be true, it seems to be at least rooted in logical observations. Why would they do that? Because there is a demand! Uniforms have appeal to players regardless of if you want to acknowledge it. Change the optics, and change the mindset top to bottom. Ironically, I am usually huge on tradition, and in most cases would be very much on the other end of the conversation. Yet, I can’t make sense of circling the wagons on a tradition that has been nothing short of awful.
Wearing your school colors isn't a tradition. It's common sense.

Wearing your school colors isn't a tradition. It's common sense.
No one is saying all or nothing. Of course we will still have school colors. Yet, we should also be able to embrace new looks that have a level of cache with the kids that we need to have excited to be a part of the program. Before someone chimes in that “coach shouldn’t need uniforms to get kids excited to play” or the always hilarious “if they don’t want to play for IU football then screw them”, this is only one element of what can be done to make our program more enticing for young recruits. My point is simply to not be married to what has been because it hasn’t been that great.

No one is saying all or nothing. Of course we will still have school colors. Yet, we should also be able to embrace new looks that have a level of cache with the kids that we need to have excited to be a part of the program. Before someone chimes in that “coach shouldn’t need uniforms to get kids excited to play” or the always hilarious “if they don’t want to play for IU football then screw them”, this is only one element of what can be done to make our program more enticing for young recruits. My point is simply to not be married to what has been because it hasn’t been that great.
There are a lot of cool things that can be done just by sticking to our actual school colors. I’d probably have less of an issue with it (maybe not) if not, for the fact that our chief rival to the north is black.

Everyone has their different tastes, but I was fine with the various uniform combinations under Coach Wilson. The kids seemed to like those and yet they were still primarily our school colors with the exception of chrome.

Name me one coach who would honestly want a kid who uses jersey color or design, even as .0001% as part of his criteria to be included in their choice of school... Seriously... I'll answer it for you... No coach would. They'd all run away as fast as they could because it would be clear the kid lacks maturity and has never been taught what's important in life and what isn't... Any coach would know that kid will probably make more stupid choices that could hurt the team or worse end up costing him his job. ... Anyone who thinks it does is fooling themselves if they think it really makes a difference.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Name me one coach who would honestly want a kid who uses jersey color or design, even as .0001% as part of his criteria to be included in their choice of school... Seriously... I'll answer it for you... No coach would. They'd all run away as fast as they could because it would be clear the kid lacks maturity and has never been taught what's important in life and what isn't... Any coach would know that kid will probably make more stupid choices that could hurt the team or worse end up costing him his job. ... Anyone who thinks it does is fooling themselves if they think it really makes a difference.
I think you're wrong. Coaches will take talented kids for about any reason, so long as they get them and have a chance to mold them into what they want...and if they don't get molded, out they go.

Here comes that linear train of thought! There had to be one of you…how do you take me mentioning it as one variable that can grab attention and can change the look of the team to me implying it is the reason a kid chooses a team? I don’t disagree with Kraft’s statement. In fact his point on Wilson’s unis is spot on. Yet, here you go adding nothing but outrage and poor reading comprehension!

There are a lot of cool things that can be done just by sticking to our actual school colors. I’d probably have less of an issue with it (maybe not) if not, for the fact that our chief rival to the north is black.

Everyone has their different tastes, but I was fine with the various uniform combinations under Coach Wilson. The kids seemed to like those and yet they were still primarily our school colors with the exception of chrome.
I agree with your point completely on Wilson’s uniforms! Honestly I think we disagree less than it may seem.

The Oregon Ducks are laughing hysterically at how wrong you are about this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT