ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone converted their home to Solar Power?

El Drado

Junior
Apr 14, 2011
I don't know anyone personally that has gone through the process. Am wondering what a realistic cost is nowadays, and if its worth it.
Summer months my electric bill is around $250 (half is from pool pump), winter is less than $100 (i think).......ROI might not be worth it.

I don't know anyone personally that has gone through the process. Am wondering what a realistic cost is nowadays, and if its worth it.
Summer months my electric bill is around $250 (half is from pool pump), winter is less than $100 (i think).......ROI might not be worth it.
If only we had someone who frequented this board who knew anything about solar...

I have neighbors who have done it, with mixed reviews. If you are in Florida and get as much sun as we do 12 months year, and if you plan to stay in your home for at least 10 more years, then it seems to be a decent idea. Lots of scammers out there, though. The roofing business as a whole is fraught with scammers in Florida. They start, get paid, then flee.

I have neighbors who have done it, with mixed reviews. If you are in Florida and get as much sun as we do 12 months year, and if you plan to stay in your home for at least 10 more years, then it seems to be a decent idea. Lots of scammers out there, though. The roofing business as a whole is fraught with scammers in Florida. They start, get paid, then flee.
Yeah, i love the idea. I don't think i would do it for pure ROI value....i just haven't seen a commercial/company that i completely trust what they say.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
There's a realtor I trust in our 'hood and she is pretty pessimistic on residential solar. I don't recall all her reasoning, but I do know she feels it can actually hurt resale value by limiting the # of buyers, or folks who would prefer not to have it for the aesthetics. She sells many houses in our area and I have a pretty high opinion of her views.

There's a few factors to consider:
1) Location is big. If you are in the southwest area (from southern California over to Texas) then it is absolutely worth it. ROI value will likely be in the 7 to 10 year range. If you are in Maine, it's not even worth quoting (30 year return). Indiana would be middle ground (20-ish years). You will still have power connected to your house from the utilities, but it is more of a demand-based system. Your system will pull from the solar first, and then pull the rest from the grid. If you actually produce more power than you use, some states will give you an energy bill credit / pay out.

2) How big of a system. Are you wanting to supplement or full load? You can set things up so that the system is only providing enough watts so that if there is a power outage, there will be enough power to run the refrigerator and the lights, but not other appliances. Or you can go full load where your full power requirements are being met by the solar. The difference will obviously be the number of panels that are required to meet that load and the associated costs.

3) How much area do you have to work with. Generally, only the southern facing parts of your roof can get panels (unless you have enough free area on the ground and you can pull off a ground-based system). That may limit what you can install. Technically, the best system is a ground based one that has a dual pivoting system that will track the sun during the day so that it is always directly perpendicular to the sun for maximum absorption, but that takes up a lot of real estate.

All three of those will have a big impact on the cost. If you are in San Diego and are only looking at a supplemental system, it may only be $5000-ish. If you are looking for a full load system in Indiana, it's probably closer to $20,000 / $25,000-ish. Different states will have incentive / tax benefits though that may cover portions of that cost.

1) Location is big. If you are in the southwest area (from southern California over to Texas) then it is absolutely worth it. ROI value will likely be in the 7 to 10 year range. If you are in Maine, it's not even worth quoting (30 year return). Indiana would be middle ground (20-ish years). You will still have power connected to your house from the utilities, but it is more of a demand-based system. Your system will pull from the solar first, and then pull the rest from the grid. If you actually produce more power than you use, some states will give you an energy bill credit / pay out.

2) How big of a system. Are you wanting to supplement or full load? You can set things up so that the system is only providing enough watts so that if there is a power outage, there will be enough power to run the refrigerator and the lights, but not other appliances. Or you can go full load where your full power requirements are being met by the solar. The difference will obviously be the number of panels that are required to meet that load and the associated costs.

3) How much area do you have to work with. Generally, only the southern facing parts of your roof can get panels (unless you have enough free area on the ground and you can pull off a ground-based system). That may limit what you can install. Technically, the best system is a ground based one that has a dual pivoting system that will track the sun during the day so that it is always directly perpendicular to the sun for maximum absorption, but that takes up a lot of real estate.

All three of those will have a big impact on the cost. If you are in San Diego and are only looking at a supplemental system, it may only be $5000-ish. If you are looking for a full load system in Indiana, it's probably closer to $20,000 / $25,000-ish. Different states will have incentive / tax benefits though that may cover portions of that cost.
that's a heck of a response! The only good portion of the roof to place them on would face west, and it would be in fort wayne. I am almost done with my perpetual motion machine...i will wait and use that.

When I looked into this years ago the solar shingles idea seemed to be promising, with Elon Musk pushing one of them. They look like asphalt shingles, could cover big areas of the roof, and so didn't have the downside of the somewhat ugly solar panels. But I haven't really followed how that approach has matured, or not.

When I looked into this years ago the solar shingles idea seemed to be promising, with Elon Musk pushing one of them. They look like asphalt shingles, could cover big areas of the roof, and so didn't have the downside of the somewhat ugly solar panels. But I haven't really followed how that approach has matured, or not.
Right or wrong, I always viewed those similarly to that strand of xmas tree lights where you don't know which one of the lights has shorted out, so you replace them one by one...hoping.

It is much easier if you are talking about adding solar to a new build as 1) you can rotate your house a little (on a big enough lot) so that the biggest portion of your roof is facing south and 2) it can be double checked that the roof is capable of supporting the extra weight.

I have very much considered doing it myself, but am not sure I am going to be in my house for more than another 5 years or so. If I end up building a house after the kids are out the door, I will likely add a solar array.

In Indiana it's going to be a bit of feast / famine situation. During the summer months, with a properly sized system, you will likely be getting a credit from the power company for your energy use, breaking even in the spring / fall, and then paying for extra power from the grid during the winter. If you are paying roughly $2000 a year for electricity, I think you will likely only be paying about $500 instead. So, savings will be about $1500 a year, thus needing about 12 to 15 years to make your money back.

As for resale value, that really depends on the type of area you live in. If you move before the system is paid off, you can theoretically forward the remaining debt of the system to the buyer (if you haven't paid it off yet), but that is obviously a major turn-off. A mature system (15 years old) that is completely paid off will likely add value to the home though. Solar panels tend to work for 25 to 30 years, so personally I would love to buy a house that has 10 to 15 years of free electricity. And while yes it would be annoying to replace panels 15 years after buying a mature system, replacement is significantly cheaper than first install (half of the cost of install is the roof framing, the wiring, the storage battery, and the transformer).

Last edited:
Try taking those panels off the roof when you need a new roof and see what the cost is
This is indeed a true statement. If you need to replace your roof, you'll probably drop about an extra $4000 to have the panels temporarily removed and then reinstalled.

Another reason why the ground-based system is better if you have the space for it.

It is much easier if you are talking about adding solar to a new build as 1) you can rotate your house a little (on a big enough lot) so that the biggest portion of your roof is facing south and 2) it can be double checked that the roof is capable of supporting the extra weight.

I have very much considered doing it myself, but am not sure I am going to be in my house for more than another 5 years or so. If I end up building a house after the kids are out the door, I will likely add a solar array.

In Indiana it's going to be a bit of feast / famine situation. During the summer months, with a properly sized system, you will likely be getting a credit from the power company for your energy use, breaking even in the spring / fall, and then paying for extra power from the grid during the winter. If you are paying roughly $2000 a year for electricity, I think you will likely only be paying about $500 instead. So, savings will be about $1500 a year, thus needing about 12 to 15 years to make your money back.

As for resale value, that really depends on the type of area you live in. If you move before the system is paid off, you can theoretically forward the remaining debt of the system to the buyer (if you haven't paid it off yet), but that is obviously a major turn-off. A mature system (15 years old) that is completely paid off will likely add value to the home though. Solar panels tend to work for 25 to 30 years, so personally I would love to buy a house that has 10 to 15 years of free electricity. And while yes it would be annoying to replace panels 15 years after buying a mature system, replacement is significantly cheaper than first install (half of the cost of install is the roof framing, the wiring, the storage battery, and the transformer).
bear in mind you may well be in the minority of folks who would "love" pre-existing panels on their roof. The realtor I'm talking about sells dozens of homes each year and I would guess has a pretty good gauge on buyer's preferences, and I'd imagine they translate pretty similarly from SC/NC to IN. Plus, are you speaking without talking to your wife; aesthetics may be more important to her. I remember when my ex wanted to spend $15-20K to add non functional dormer windows to our roof because too much of it was visible. Women often are not as practical as you may be!

This is indeed a true statement. If you need to replace your roof, you'll probably drop about an extra $4000 to have the panels temporarily removed and then reinstalled.

Another reason why the ground-based system is better if you have the space for it.
Steel roof would be the only way to even consider it.

Our house is shaded by trees to our east and west. The pool is only in full sun for a few hours in the day. We would need to cut some trees down and convince our neighbor to do the same. It doesn't seem practical.

We have someone 2 houses down that installed solar panels on their roof facing to the south. The panels are on the front of their house. They also dug up a huge part of their front yard to put in a geothermal HVAC system of some kind. I'd love to know how it all works, but nobody ever sees them outside ... ever.

Someday there might be solar panels instead of shingled roofing. The roof, trunk and hoods of our cars might be made of solar panels. There will be a lot of changes as soon as the technology becomes affordable.

Our house is shaded by trees to our east and west. The pool is only in full sun for a few hours in the day. We would need to cut some trees down and convince our neighbor to do the same. It doesn't seem practical.

We have someone 2 houses down that installed solar panels on their roof facing to the south. The panels are on the front of their house. They also dug up a huge part of their front yard to put in a geothermal HVAC system of some kind. I'd love to know how it all works, but nobody ever sees them outside ... ever.

Someday there might be solar panels instead of shingled roofing. The roof, trunk and hoods of our cars might be made of solar panels. There will be a lot of changes as soon as the technology becomes affordable.
We had geothermal in our last house and it was amazing. Home was about 5500 sf and 5 people living in it and we never had a gas bill over $25 or an electric bill over $100. It really was a crazy efficient system. The house had been "prepped" for solar (just re-enforced roofing), but the person who did it got sick and passed before it was completed. If we had solar, the damn thing would have been paying us to live there!

2 electricians at work have solar. If you do the work yourself it’s pretty affordable. The new 450 watt panels are pretty powerful. Inverters are getting insanely cheap too. The rack/server style batteries are getting cheaper too. Lots of info on YouTube out there.

That’s probably correct. Especially the further North you are.

$20 grand $3+ Dollars a Watt … prices are likely higher

https://www.energysage.com/local-data/solar-panel-cost/in/

California’s AB 32 2006 (in)famously led to mandated solar panel installations in existing and new homes.

Can’t sell an existing house (as is) without installing solar panels first, in CA.

Since everything Calif does is what everyone should do … this could be coming to a federal regulation near you because fossil fuels are for fossils.

I know very little on residential solar. But if you got farmland and are thinking of converting to solar…. I’m your guy.

I know very little on residential solar. But if you got farmland and are thinking of converting to solar…. I’m your guy.
Prices are getting out of hand. I did a deal for $1,500 an acre with a 2% escalator for the life of the project. Cash rent is $250-450 an acre.

2 electricians at work have solar. If you do the work yourself it’s pretty affordable. The new 450 watt panels are pretty powerful. Inverters are getting insanely cheap too. The rack/server style batteries are getting cheaper too. Lots of info on YouTube out there.
Technology is moving fast in the field.

As of today, a solar system has value as an augmentation to the grid, yet real issues need to be resolved.

Your typical home solar array is not going to run the a/c or electric heating system as a rule.

My neighbor is a guru...I helped him install 12 panels...he also has a wind generator and a high tech wood furnace.

Last edited:
Technology is moving fast in the field.

As of today, a solar system has value as an augmentation to the grid, yet real issues need to be resolved.

Your typical home solar array is not going to run the a/c or electric heating system as rule.

My neighbor is a guru...I helped him install 12 panels...he also has a wind generator and a high tech wood furnace.
What’s typical? I know the guys here have server rack style batteries. They are insanely cheap now. One guy completely runs his house off grid. He just upgraded to 450w panels. He uses the inverter style heat pumps for heat and ac. It’s no longer atypical. Efficiency is way up.

What’s typical? I know the guys here have server rack style batteries. They are insanely cheap now. One guy completely runs his house off grid. He just upgraded to 450w panels. He uses the inverter style heat pumps for heat and ac. It’s no longer atypical. Efficiency is way up.
The large majority do not have the financial or DIY skills to entirely convert their systems. Your co-workers are the outlier.

Last edited:

All three of those will have a big impact on the cost. If you are in San Diego and are only looking at a supplemental system, it may only be $5000-ish. If you are looking for a full load system in Indiana, it's probably closer to $20,000 / $25,000-ish. Different states will have incentive / tax benefits though that may cover portions of that cost. commercial floor coatings phoenix
I’m thinking about it, in the past, I have looked at a huge upfront price, 10 years to pay off, and then possible maintenance issues.

However here is the key if my payments equals my current electric bill or doubtful is less than my current electric bill, then it would be worth it. One solar panel rep who caught me in brief conversation at Costco says their panels have a 25 year warranty. I’m going to go for a free consultation.

Questions
  • I wonder who provides that warranty on panels, will they be around in 20 years?
  • Does the setup include batteries capable of running the house electrical/AC needs through the night, or does it start pulling from the grid?
  • Does a typical setup, feed back into the grid, and be paid for the contribution?
  • What incentives are available to defer the cost?
  • do solar panels function during overcast skies?

I’m thinking about it, in the past, I have looked at a huge upfront price, 10 years to pay off, and then possible maintenance issues.

However here is the key if my payments equals my current electric bill or doubtful is less than my current electric bill, then it would be worth it. One solar panel rep who caught me in brief conversation at Costco says their panels have a 25 year warranty. I’m going to go for a free consultation.

Questions
  • I wonder who provides that warranty on panels, will they be around in 20 years?
  • Does the setup include batteries capable of running the house electrical/AC needs through the night, or does it start pulling from the grid?
  • Does a typical setup, feed back into the grid, and be paid for the contribution?
Those questions are per state. Most are grid tied, panels do function some on overcast days. Most do not include battery back up. The options are endless really. Always go with local companies. Talk to people who have used them and research, research, research.

Questions
1) I think most of the companies that are selling solar systems right now are mostly selling the installation itself and they buy their panels from another source. There are a couple of big ones (Hanwha, Jinko, Solaria) who I suspect should still be around in 25 years, so just be sure to find out the source from the installer.

2) As I said earlier, it depends upon the size of the system you install. Generally, you are going to get a range of output depending upon the time of the year and the weather that day (summer / winter and cloudy / sunny). So usually you will pull from the grid during the winter / cloudy days and (if sized correctly) getting excess in the summer (which means you can supply energy to the grid and potentially get an energy credit). If you are designing your system to handle your full average daily load, it will charge up throughout the day and then have capacity in the battery to get you through the night.

3) Don't know what to call "typical". Some people size the system to be supplemental, some size it to handle the full load. If you size it to handle the full load, you can potentially be paid a credit if you are providing excess back to the grid. Just a matter of how many panels you put up there.

4) Some companies will certainly run sales, but I don't know if there is a typical time of year that is better or not. Government incentives are state dependent, I believe. I have seen occasionally some companies say "free installation" and you are only paying for the panels themselves (with a mark-up, I'm sure.)

5) Yes, solar panels function during overcast skies, just not as well. Light overcast cloud cover probably takes you down to the 50% to 75% level. Really thick fog or rain clouds drop you down to the 10% to 25% level. They also can be affected by dust / dirt. Dirty panels can reduce the output by 25% to 50%

Not that I am an expert on these things, just stuff I have gleaned through conversations with some people that I know that have them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT