ADVERTISEMENT

Harris and Warren back slavery reparations

Why would we do this? A spry and highly experienced 70 year old is a great option. Advances in medicine will all but ensure this is the case going forward.

Because according to research, cognitive decline typically starts between 45-55. Even if you are an outlier, it is unlikely that cognitive decline has not begun by 70. I included a link previously, but here are some additional pieces:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683339/

There is some evidence that the magnitude of age-related decline accelerates at older ages. To illustrate, a sample of about 800 adults between 61 and 96 years of age in my laboratory had cross-sectional slopes of about -.04 to -.05 SD units per year compared to the slopes of -.02 to -.03 SD units per year for adults under age 60. In absolute units, the decline in speed variables was about twice as great in this age range compared to adults under age 60, and the decline in the memory variables was nearly 4 times greater. What is not yet known is whether these quantitatively different age trends reflect changes in the same set of influences, or the operation of qualitatively different types of influences. However, what does appear clear is that several different types of results converge on the conclusion that age-related cognitive decline begins relatively early in adulthood, and certainly before age 60 in healthy educated adults.

park.gif

http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2001/Aug01/r081301a.html

http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/MPH-Modules/PH/Aging/aging_and_cogntive_decline.jpg

aging_and_cogntive_decline.jpg

More importantly, how does lack of sleep factor in? I, like most, noticed change in the amount of sleep I felt I needed in my 20s vs. my 30s and even the difference between Kid #1 and Kid #2 was noticeable. How does that factor in in terms of mental health for a 50 year old vs. a 70 year old?

You’ll never get a straight answer. Might as well give up.

Heck, Rock went so far as to cry about the “negative” connotations of the word reparations. Bahahahahhaaa.

They’ll do anything to avoid actually discussing the issue.
LOL

Nothing wrong with mundane....
Other than being boring...
I read a lot of autobiography type works of people who have had downfalls (addictions, finances, criminal, mental health etc....) Not sure what that says about me, but memoirs about human failure are much more intriguing to me than human success stories.
Yeah, but those stories all end with the protagonist emerging triumphant, overcoming his setbacks and living happily ever after. I've survived, but the end of the story is otherwise very meh.

LOL.

Nothing wrong with mundane....

I read a lot of autobiography type works of people who have had downfalls (addictions, finances, criminal, mental health etc....) Not sure what that says about me, but memoirs about human failure are much more intriguing to me than human success stories.
You know what I read about....people dying from terminal illness. At least a couple a year, but many of them make the best seller list, so I guess I’m not alone. Not sure what that says about me either!

Because according to research, cognitive decline typically starts between 45-55. Even if you are an outlier, it is unlikely that cognitive decline has not begun by 70. I included a link previously, but here are some additional pieces:
So by the time you're 81, you can talk a lot but you won't know where you are and it won't make any sense.

aging_and_cogntive_decline.jpg

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT