ADVERTISEMENT

Guy on ESPN

I don't think so. Duke is small, nowhere near the alum or support nationally like the other 4 ( well you just have to be from Kentucky and you are considered an alum)

They've established a brand nationally. Is ND a small school too? Alumni support doesn't matter, as you noted with UK, if Joe Sixpack is buying your stuff. They're up there. I don't have time to research right now, but I would guess it goes: UK, UNC, Duke (closer to UNC than KU), KU.

Stay with me here, Im high as a kite. If there was a Gofundme kind of thing plastered to Social media and was put out to a point where all fans were aware of it.....
The fund being if we hire Chris Beard we will use the money pledged for his contract, if we can not hire him all money would be refunded.

I would say we could raise 5 million easily, and possibly 10 million in maybe less than a week.

I talked about this with a friend a few nights ago (also high af) we would both be in for 10k. I think just in my group of college friends, we would come up with close to a quarter million.
So your only other friend is in for close to $230k? He is a baller!

You ever smoked with Andy? Just curious.

P.S. I don’t care how violently you’re denounced on this forum, you’re a good guy in my book.

whoa whoa whoa violently denounced???? lol. No Andy is more a straight laced kinda guy I would assume. He would have no idea who I was, Ive talked with him a handful of times in passing.

Reactions: Radio Zero
They've established a brand nationally. Is ND a small school too? Alumni support doesn't matter, as you noted with UK, if Joe Sixpack is buying your stuff. They're up there. I don't have time to research right now, but I would guess it goes: UK, UNC, Duke (closer to UNC than KU), KU.

Id love to see the numbers, but I would bet Duke is not close to what you think it is. Before last year and Zion everyone hated them.

Joe six pack buys UK stuff and hates duke, those elite ****ers!

whoa whoa whoa violently denounced???? lol. No Andy is more a straight laced kinda guy I would assume. He would have no idea who I was, Ive talked with him a handful of times in passing.
Yes, that’s what I said. People say terrible things about you, but as far as I can tell, your only major failing is being a high on.

Yes, that’s what I said. People say terrible things about you, but as far as I can tell, your only major failing is being a high on.

Beard and other good existing college coaches are somewhat of a longshot without some sort of campaign to raise money or donor support. I don't but this crap that we can't afford to fire Archie, but firing Archie, paying his buyout and paying a buyout to another school to get a coach they don't want to let go of is a different story. Beilein, when and if is a unique opportunity, we wouldn't owe the Cavs shit if they fire him and we pick him up. I have a feeling that's the way it will go down, Archie probably wants out but wants as much $$$ as possible to extract in a negotiated mutual parting of ways at seasons end. As long as he and IU play fair, it's a win-win, he must realize he's done here at this point and just building contempt and a bad reputation if he goes through another terrible year next and sucks up the money for it.

money donated, attendance, apparel.

UK easily #1
UNC
KU
IU

I think that would be the clear top 4 really.

We absolutely blow, but Maui denied over half of our fans from getting ticket allotment to the tourney. I was gonna go, but said F it, and Im a diehard. Think if we were good? We might have to build a new arena and rent out the island of Maui.
Wishful and nostalgic, but not realistic any more. Plenty of fan bases would follow their teams to Maui and fill up an “arena” that’s less than half the capacity of my high school gym.

He is a BOT member, Im hoping you knew that, but putting it out there just to tie a bow on what I was doing for you if not.
I saw a trustee Saturday and we spoke generally about the basketball program. He’s not all that excited about where we are now but there was no sense of panic or need to change direction. And of the current BOT, this guy would understand the dynamics better than almost anyone else, for a variety of reasons. Miller isn’t leaving unless he wants to.

Wishful and nostalgic, but not realistic any more. Plenty of fan bases would follow their teams to Maui and fill up an “arena” that’s less than half the capacity of my high school gym.

I think you're wrong. There's a reason IU gets invited back there as often as we do, despite our recent lack of success, and that we're on networks and ESPN as frequently as we are. It's really pretty remarkable that we've maintained the following we have through these years of mediocrity. Look at what happened to PU/Mackey when they sucked for a few years: half full arena and cancelled midnight madness, which I'm still not sure they restored. Auburn, TN, TX... well maybe TX. But if you invite those schools you better have them host a meet and greet with one of their former Heisman winners or coaches to get their fans to turnout, not to mention it's during football season!

Reactions: DANC and Radio Zero
Beard and other good existing college coaches are somewhat of a longshot without some sort of campaign to raise money or donor support. I don't but this crap that we can't afford to fire Archie, but firing Archie, paying his buyout and paying a buyout to another school to get a coach they don't want to let go of is a different story. Beilein, when and if is a unique opportunity, we wouldn't owe the Cavs shit if they fire him and we pick him up. I have a feeling that's the way it will go down, Archie probably wants out but wants as much $$$ as possible to extract in a negotiated mutual parting of ways at seasons end. As long as he and IU play fair, it's a win-win, he must realize he's done here at this point and just building contempt and a bad reputation if he goes through another terrible year next and sucks up the money for it.
Looking at Archie's body language at Michigan, he has definitely checked out.

Best thing that could happen to him, short of figuring out how to motivate this team, is to negotiate a buyout and pull a Crean - work for a year or 2 as a TV analyst and find a football school that needs a BB coach.

Reactions: iulb
I think you're wrong. There's a reason IU gets invited back there as often as we do, despite our recent lack of success, and that we're on networks and ESPN as frequently as we are. It's really pretty remarkable that we've maintained the following we have through these years of mediocrity. Look at what happened to PU/Mackey when they sucked for a few years: half full arena and cancelled midnight madness, which I'm still not sure they restored. Auburn, TN, TX... well maybe TX. But if you invite those schools you better have them host a meet and greet with one of their former Heisman winners or coaches to get their fans to turnout, not to mention it's during football season!
Not saying IU doesn’t have a profile, but we aren’t a top 5 fan base any more. Top 15? Sure. But Duke, UNC, UK, UL, KU, UA are definitely above IU, and plenty of others could and would easily draw as many fans to Maui during the Holidays. And when IU goes, look at the crowd. Lots of gray hair.

Id love to see the numbers, but I would bet Duke is not close to what you think it is. Before last year and Zion everyone hated them.

Joe six pack buys UK stuff and hates duke, those elite ****ers!

Well, probably neither of us are objective, because I live in NC so I see tons of Duke stuff, but they've been a national brand for a long time, and outside of KY and unfortunately southern IN, UK stuff isn't nearly as popular. I see 20-30 Duke hats for every UK hat, although they are the most popular non-Carolina school I see. But Duke was nationally popular back to the Laettner/Hurley days and K has marketed himself and Duke very well, especially w the Olympic stuff. I'd say I see 4-5 IU things for every KU logo though! I'll see if I can find it later; all the college apparel stuff is dominated by fball and I'm not sure you can even break it out by bball. Probably national viewership is the best closest measure and you know Duke is going to do well there.

Not saying IU doesn’t have a profile, but we aren’t a top 5 fan base any more. Top 15? Sure. But Duke, UNC, UK, UL, KU, UA are definitely above IU, and plenty of others could and would easily draw as many fans to Maui during the Holidays. And when IU goes, look at the crowd. Lots of gray hair.

I think we're borderline top 5 and I think solidly top 10. But again, we're going to have by far the worst recent results of any of those, which is a testament to our fanbase... and maybe just a different measure of it. Would KU, UL or UA be a thought if they went through what we did? I know UNC wouldn't because I was in their half empty stands watching an IU victory the last time they had a team as bad as this one, which was like 2005 maybe? And, I didn't know you were going to discriminate against blue hairs.... they still bought they ticket, didn't they?

Reactions: DANC
I think we're borderline top 5 and I think solidly top 10. But again, we're going to have by far the worst recent results of any of those, which is a testament to our fanbase... and maybe just a different measure of it. Would KU, UL or UA be a thought if they went through what we did? I know UNC wouldn't because I was in their half empty stands watching an IU victory the last time they had a team as bad as this one, which was like 2005 maybe? And, I didn't know you were going to discriminate against blue hairs.... they still bought they ticket, didn't they?
I think you vastly underestimate the number of unused tickets that comprise the AH attendance for most games. The degree of apathy is as high as I’ve seen it in decades.

I think you vastly underestimate the number of unused tickets that comprise the AH attendance for most games. The degree of apathy is as high as I’ve seen it in decades.

The difference is, those tickets are paid for this year. Wasn't PU doing $1 or $5 tix at one point? And most of their empty seats back then weren't paid for.

The difference is, those tickets are paid for this year. Wasn't PU doing $1 or $5 tix at one point? And most of their empty seats back then weren't paid for.
No idea about Purdue, but I wouldn’t include them in a top 10 or 15 fan base listing anyway. Bet they’d take as many to Maui as IU would, though. They had roughly 80% of the Yum Center last March, too. And that’s just Purdue.

I buy and sell tickets on the side. I will make over face value on season tickets in the 42nd row. I also went to Madison square garden and IU Had 2 to 3 times the amount of LOU fans. TT had more fans than LOU.

Lou was #1 then right? Can you imagine if IU was #1?

Reactions: MrBing
No idea about Purdue, but I wouldn’t include them in a top 10 or 15 fan base listing anyway. Bet they’d take as many to Maui as IU would, though. They had roughly 80% of the Yum Center last March, too. And that’s just Purdue.

My point isn't about PU, it's about what would happen to most other fanbases with a sustained period of mediocre results like we've had. Honestly, I think we are extremely unique here. Or maybe stupid is another word!

I buy and sell tickets on the side. I will make over face value on season tickets in the 42nd row. I also went to Madison square garden and IU Had 2 to 3 times the amount of LOU fans. TT had more fans than LOU.

Lou was #1 then right? Can you imagine if IU was #1?

Here's the best indicator I can find. Sadly Duke's apparel sales are kept private, but I think you'd be in for a surprise there too!

https://www.businessinsider.com/lou...16-2018-2#6-university-of-arizona-23434825-20

My point isn't about PU, it's about what would happen to most other fanbases with a sustained period of mediocre results like we've had. Honestly, I think we are extremely unique here. Or maybe stupid is another word!
IU’s fans have stuck by the program, for the most part. But the high student allotment of tickets is really the only thing that has kept a general public waiting list in place, and it’s still dwindling. Not saying it wouldn’t pick up again if the program suddenly became a top 20 one again, but it’s not trending positively.

IU’s fans have stuck by the program, for the most part. But the high student allotment of tickets is really the only thing that has kept a general public waiting list in place, and it’s still dwindling. Not saying it wouldn’t pick up again if the program suddenly became a top 20 one again, but it’s not trending positively.

see the above link.

see the above link.
It’s a nice example of support, but I’m not sure it’s evidence of IU as a top 5 program, however one wants to establish those standards. After all, we were told UL wasn’t one of those and they ranked at the top of your list.

It’s a nice example of support, but I’m not sure it’s evidence of IU as a top 5 program, however one wants to establish those standards. After all, we were told UL wasn’t one of those and they ranked at the top of your list.

I didn't say it was the end all story, it was just the best I could find, but ironically it does put us top 5. And again, that's w mediocre results. Think where we'd be making the tourney every year and challenging for #1 in the country, let alone winning NCs! And again, I ask you where those other programs would be? I also found one based primarily on results in recent years and I think we were 36th!

watched the Iowa game on TV and was surprised to see a lot of empty seats in the lower section halfway through the 2nd half when the game was still not secured by IU.

The one who just wants his rug back

I lived in Hawaii for 9 years all together. We went to the 1998 Maui Invitational when the big name teams were IU, Michigan, Syracuse, and Utah (with Majerus). 80% of the fans were IU fans. The locals told us only UK brings as many fans as IU, but UK fans were notoriously poor tippers. Heard that same story a half dozen times. It’s a fun tournament and IU will have the most fans there. We’re probably going, my wife grew up in Hawaii so it’s a good reason to go back. We’re not doing the IU package and we didn’t last time either.

Looking at Archie's body language at Michigan, he has definitely checked out.

Best thing that could happen to him, short of figuring out how to motivate this team, is to negotiate a buyout and pull a Crean - work for a year or 2 as a TV analyst and find a football school that needs a BB coach.

I would be very surprised if Archie ever pursued a TV analyst gig. From watching him at and Dayton and IU, he is clearly not thrilled to be in front of the camera. It's just not his personality. He has gotten better, I swear the first year at Dayton he looked like he was going to throw up every time he was interviewed.

I would be very surprised if Archie ever pursued a TV analyst gig. From watching him at and Dayton and IU, he is clearly not thrilled to be in front of the camera. It's just not his personality. He has gotten better, I swear the first year at Dayton he looked like he was going to throw up every time he was interviewed.

Probably right. He definitely seems like he's an introvert. I think that's part of his problem.

I lived in Hawaii for 9 years all together. We went to the 1998 Maui Invitational when the big name teams were IU, Michigan, Syracuse, and Utah (with Majerus). 80% of the fans were IU fans. The locals told us only UK brings as many fans as IU, but UK fans were notoriously poor tippers. Heard that same story a half dozen times. It’s a fun tournament and IU will have the most fans there. We’re probably going, my wife grew up in Hawaii so it’s a good reason to go back. We’re not doing the IU package and we didn’t last time either.

You were only there, what would you know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT