ADVERTISEMENT

Guy on ESPN

someone get Rick Greenspan on the phone and tell him "we finally did it!"

Who is the dude?

$3.5 million buy's a whole lot of happy.
I bet Archie at times ..Gives two sh*ts about the team.
True but he can make millions at another school. Sports seems to be one profession no matter how bad you stink ypu alwys get another job.

Yeah but everyone acts like he would want to come to Indiana and coach against the team he left for the NBA.

well, their job isn't open now. He may not want to come to IU, but he isn't going back to UM. If he wants to get back in the college game, his best option may well be in the same conference. If you are going to work, aren't you going to pick the best opportunity? I'm not saying that's us, but if we are, I don't think allegiance to UM is going to be a factor at all.

Yeah but everyone acts like he would want to come to Indiana and coach against the team he left for the NBA.
I was thinking the same thing,Archie is going nowhere for at least 2 more years.
If he finishes above .500 they will not fire him,only schools that take athletics seriously does that.

You don’t think that would be a responsible use of those funds, hey?

IU blows so much money. The construction budget in the last decade or so has to be out of this world. So many ugly af red banners taped on fences surrounding construction projects. “ Philanthropy at work!!”

I’m not making any value judgment at all. I’m just expressing doubt — strong doubt — that the PTBs are going to do that.

the amount of revenue IU would generate would far surpass the buyout or salary of a new coach.

there has to be someone smart in the room and understands we have a top 5 fan base that willingly dumps money into IU basketball with any semblance of positive hope.

Reactions: fpeaugh and kkott
the amount of revenue IU would generate would far surpass the buyout or salary of a new coach.

there has to be someone smart in the room and understands we have a top 5 fan base that willingly dumps money into IU basketball with any semblance of positive hope.

Well, again, I'm not expressing any particular opinion other than that I don't think they're going to tap the endowment to buy out a coach.

Obviously, as a matter of policy, they can't touch the principal of the actual endowment. And I'd guess that the bulk of the expected proceeds are already allocated for other purposes.

There may be funds in quasi-endowments that are unrestricted (or, at least, less restricted) and not yet designated.

What tells you that IU has a “top 5 fan base”?

Reactions: Radio Zero
Well, again, I'm not expressing any particular opinion other than that I don't think they're going to tap the endowment to buy out a coach.

Obviously, as a matter of policy, they can't touch the principal of the actual endowment. And I'd guess that the bulk of the expected proceeds are already allocated for other purposes.

There may be funds in quasi-endowments that are unrestricted (or, at least, less restricted) and not yet designated.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the endowment specifically. I don't know the specifics of where the monies would come from, but I do know the amount generated in the 1st few years if we were successful would be greater than the amount lost in the buyout/future new coaches salary.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the endowment specifically. I don't know the specifics of where the monies would come from, but I do know the amount generated in the 1st few years if we were successful would be greater than the amount lost in the buyout/future new coaches salary.

Buyouts come from boosters/ donors.

What tells you that IU has a “top 5 fan base”?

money donated, attendance, apparel.

UK easily #1
UNC
KU
IU

I think that would be the clear top 4 really.

We absolutely blow, but Maui denied over half of our fans from getting ticket allotment to the tourney. I was gonna go, but said F it, and Im a diehard. Think if we were good? We might have to build a new arena and rent out the island of Maui.

Oh, well, you were responding to an exchange that began with the suggestion of using endowment funds to buy out Archie's contract.

I was simply saying that this almost certainly isn't going to happen.

Saying that the athletic department would generate enough additional revenue with a new MBB coach to offset the costs of buying out the contract is a completely different conversation. Though I must say that I would disagree with that, too.

Buyouts come from boosters/ donors.

Stay with me here, Im high as a kite. If there was a Gofundme kind of thing plastered to Social media and was put out to a point where all fans were aware of it.....
The fund being if we hire Chris Beard we will use the money pledged for his contract, if we can not hire him all money would be refunded.

I would say we could raise 5 million easily, and possibly 10 million in maybe less than a week.

I talked about this with a friend a few nights ago (also high af) we would both be in for 10k. I think just in my group of college friends, we would come up with close to a quarter million.

money donated, attendance, apparel.

UK easily #1
UNC
KU
IU

I think that would be the clear top 4 really.

We absolutely blow, but Maui denied over half of our fans from getting ticket allotment to the tourney. I was gonna go, but said F it, and Im a diehard. Think if we were good? We might have to build a new arena and rent out the island of Maui.

I agree with you, but Duke is up there too.

I agree with you, but Duke is up there too.

I don't think so. Duke is small, nowhere near the alum or support nationally like the other 4 ( well you just have to be from Kentucky and you are considered an alum)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT