ADVERTISEMENT

Gritty Win - should have been 10 pt win

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Didn’t shoot 3 well, mistakes and missed free throws are curable. The taunting technicals were ridiculous. I’ve watched several games this season and that happens a lot with a technical. A wins a win.

Didn’t shoot 3 well, mistakes and missed free throws are curable. The taunting technicals were ridiculous. I’ve watched several games this season and that happens a lot with a technical. A wins a win.
We've lost a bunch of these sort of games in the last few years. Happy with the win...Woody will have plenty of tape to review with the team.

Just posted similar. Great win this early. Woody gets to tear into the guys for their dumb shit plays while still chalking up what will be a good win come time for the selection committee

They shot the three well to start, 4 for 8. Will have to look at their final stats.
We gave up 4 points on techs and went 1-4 FTs at the end.
That is up to 7 points given away. We were lucky to get away with that.
Lets see what Woody says

Reactions: IUgradman
Woody can rip into them all he wants... but... who rips into him... final minute situations that are on him.

1. 2 for 1 situation IU never got set up for.
2. Left malik in when X had to foul.
3. Xavier Johnson should of missed 2nd free throw intentionally.

Thats a good win though. Learn and move on..

Woody can rip into them all he wants... but... who rips into him... final minute situations that are on him.

1. 2 for 1 situation IU never got set up for.
2. Left malik in when X had to foul.
3. Xavier Johnson should of missed 2nd free throw intentionally.

Thats a good win though. Learn and move on..
Malik came up big in the final seconds of the or weren't you watching?
1. Forced a change of direction on Xaviers final shot

2. Tipped the rebound on the missed shot away from Xavier player for what have been an easy putback

3. Tippe inbound pass on final play of the came.

Kid's only a frosh, yes he made some mistakes but I for one was glad to see him in at the end of the game. I just hope he's not a 1 & done

Last edited:
He’s supposed to be a very good basketball player. Tonight he looked uncomfortable on offense and defense.
safe to say the hype for him will quickly fade. The bench needs a scorer and the hope was that Bates would be that player.

Curious, is the team sick this week. Just saw that TJD and X didn’t practice much. At one point, after a free throw X was subbed out and he immediately ran back to the locker room. Seemed like a few others didn’t play as much as I would have expected as well

You dont keep him in when teams are trying to foul. He had a chance to remove him. Then once fouled... you put him back in. There is no argument against this..

You dont keep him in when teams are trying to foul. He had a chance to remove him. Then once fouled... you put him back in. There is no argument against this..
At that point, Malik was 2/2 on fts….race was 1/2 and not in the game so he would be coming in cold, Trey was one of 2, Tamar had not shot a ft and neither had JG, anyone else hadn’t played so who do you sub out for? Who on the bench has proven to knock down fts, coming in cold off the bench?

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

So end of game situations you want MR shooting crucial free throws. Even if you leave him in, you work on late game situations. The ball went from X to Kopp to MR. It could be that is on Kopp for not waiting to be fouled. (If we had no timeouts the pass becomes tolerable... not the case here) As a former coach, I cant look myself in the mirror feeling good about sending someone to the line I cant trust. If I dont have 5 guys I can trust, I hope ive worked situationally enough with my squad to know where it needs to end up. In the hands of an inexperienced big in his first game on the road seems like a failure to me.

Guard play going to limit this team. We'll win plenty of games but our outside shooting and free throws need a ton of work. Oh and need to quit the trash talk or the equivalent.

So end of game situations you want MR shooting crucial free throws. Even if you leave him in, you work on late game situations. The ball went from X to Kopp to MR. It could be that is on Kopp for not waiting to be fouled. (If we had no timeouts the pass becomes tolerable... not the case here) As a former coach, I cant look myself in the mirror feeling good about sending someone to the line I cant trust. If I dont have 5 guys I can trust, I hope ive worked situationally enough with my squad to know where it needs to end up. In the hands of an inexperienced big in his first game on the road seems like a failure to me.
Not necessarily wanting MR shooting fts, in that situation I wish Koop would’ve thrown the ball to someone else like back to X or TJD. My argument was who are you subbing him out for so he’s not in that position to shoot fts, they should have had somebody else to be an outlet or he should have quickly passed it himself before he got fouled, maybe that’s the play will teach

Malik came up big in the final seconds of the or weren't you watching?
1. Forced a change of direction on Xaviers final shot

2. Tipped the rebound on the missed shot away from Xavier player for what have been an easy putback

3. Tippe inbound pass on final play of the came.

Kid's only a frosh, yes he made some mistakes but I for one was glad to see him in at the end of the game. I just hope he's not a 1 & done

Hes the 3rd best player

A number of us could get into XJ's head after 20 minutes on the stairs. Disciplining a player has a low price tag.
I also liked MR playing at the end of the game. He wasn't successful with primetime FT's, this time. But he sure was disruptive of the opponents end of game offense. IU won because of it.

Curious, is the team sick this week. Just saw that TJD and X didn’t practice much. At one point, after a free throw X was subbed out and he immediately ran back to the locker room. Seemed like a few others didn’t play as much as I would have expected as well
rumor going around 4-5 players are currently experiencing food poisoning. Shall see how it turns out!
- Xavier newsroom/Robert Sacoshit

Bates 3 Fouls in 12 minutes and poor D. Woody saw enough. Thought JG should’ve gotten a few of Galloway and Kopps’ minutes in the 2nd half.
Galloway is a tough gritty player but provides little, if any, offense. We need more offense from the 2 and the 3. Seems neither him or Miller or Bates can supply this. Team is similar to last year at this point - teams shut down TJD we need to be able to show some ability to shoot. Just dont see it with Miller - many wide open shots he just misses. Don't think he can perform on such a big stage. Like the prospects for the future for this team but think expectations for fans and basketball experts may be too high

Galloway is a tough gritty player but provides little, if any, offense. We need more offense from the 2 and the 3. Seems neither him or Miller or Bates can supply this. Team is similar to last year at this point - teams shut down TJD we need to be able to show some ability to shoot. Just dont see it with Miller - many wide open shots he just misses. Don't think he can perform on such a big stage. Like the prospects for the future for this team but think expectations for fans and basketball experts may be too high
The one time when TJD found MK in the corner and he made the 3 is what we need more of... if he can hit consistently. I agree.... we need three point shooters.... so we can do the dump down/pass back out for the 3.

That will make TJD even more deadly underneath.

Not necessarily wanting MR shooting fts, in that situation I wish Koop would’ve thrown the ball to someone else like back to X or TJD. My argument was who are you subbing him out for so he’s not in that position to shoot fts, they should have had somebody else to be an outlet or he should have quickly passed it himself before he got fouled, maybe that’s the play will teach
I totally agree with your assessment thoughI actually think in the long run it was a good time to have Malik in a pressure situation. He needs the experience, rather it be in a game like this than with the Big championship on the line. You g man has lots of potential. JMO, but if it wasn't for Maliks plays at the end of the game IU loses this game.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
I totally agree with your assessment thoughI actually think in the long run it was a good time to have Malik in a pressure situation. He needs the experience, rather it be in a game like this than with the Big championship on the line. You g man has lots of potential. JMO, but if it wasn't for Maliks plays at the end of the game IU loses this game.
Only if he makes the FTs next time.

Do you think IU looked like the team to beat in the Big Ten?

Illinois looks very good and MSU has played very tough competition and won three of four losing only to Gonzaga by one. IU is in that group, but clearly number one? Just don't know.

Too early to tell…any team in the big ten can can beat any team in the big ten on any given night, that’s why you play the games. You get beat by the 2nd place team at their place but it takes so much out of them, they get beat by the last place team 3 nights later. You go on a 6 game losing streak, get down by 17 at half and with your 3rd string qb, you mount a comeback….er, wait, wrong sport….. anyway, we could win the big but I don’t think we dominate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT