ADVERTISEMENT

Grilling steaks tonight......marinade idea's?

I use a dry rub... Dizzy Pig Cow Lick is my favorite for steaks. I pull the steaks out about 30mins before cooking put the rub on and let them sit. Lite the egg and let it get to 550-600 and toss the steak on. 4-5 mins each side then shut it down and let it sit for 4-5 mins. Perfect medium rare.

My Korean mother in laws marinade is: sesame oil, a little soy sauce, fresh garlic and green onion. Fantastic for a change of pace!

I always add some Montreal seasoning to our steaks. I Never use a marinade nor do I ever use steak sauce. A-1 and the like was made for Ponderosa and Ryan's.

It is good meat, just try to perk it up some.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Django-Unchained-You-Had-my-Curiosity.gif

^^ Cap's reaction right now. ^^

My Korean mother in laws marinade is: sesame oil, a little soy sauce, fresh garlic and green onion. Fantastic for a change of pace!
That's Bulgogi .... mix all of it together, thin slice the meat, marinade for 24 hours, serve with rice.

Reactions: C-$
By the way, if it's a thick steak (like, over an inch and a half) a much better way to cook it is to sear it on both sides in a cast iron pan, then roast it in an oven. Use a temperature probe and cook it to 125. Let it rest 5 minutes.

Trying to cook a really thick steak on the grill isn't the best option.

By the way, if it's a thick steak (like, over an inch and a half) a much better way to cook it is to sear it on both sides in a cast iron pan, then roast it in an oven. Use a temperature probe and cook it to 125. Let it rest 5 minutes.

Trying to cook a really thick steak on the grill isn't the best option.[/QUOTE

That's been my experience too. Thick steaks are tough if you try and sear them as "conventional wisdom" suggests. My grill (Komoda; porcelain style grill like a BGE) has 2 grates so I sear them on the lower one and then cook them on the upper one, or put coals on one side and move them to indirect heat after searing. But, it's easy to get them too dry in my experience. Never thought about roasting a steak like that.

Olive oil, salt and pepper, and a little garlic salt. Sauté some mushrooms and onions to go with it and you are set.
Why would you want to ruin a great steak with mushrooms and onions (and I absolutely LOVE mushrooms and onions)? Just throw some ketchup or A1 on it, too, to complete the devastation.

You must be from the south side of Indy.

Had a guy try to tell me the steaks at Texas Roadhouse were as good as the one's at Ruth Chris because of the spices they put on them to give them flavor.

If the steak is a proper steak you don't need spices and rubs and other crap. Just dry age that baby for about 40 days. Then you got a steak party in your mouth

what's everyone's favorite steak for grilling? Honestly I think my favorite is a really good grade Sirloin. I like ribeyes but they often can be fatty, and filets, but they often aren't very flavorful. NY Strips I generally just don't like. Sirloins to me are generally a great combination of lean and flavorful. My favorite tasting steak is a ribeye but even USDA Primes can be fatty.

Why would you want to ruin a great steak with mushrooms and onions (and I absolutely LOVE mushrooms and onions)? Just throw some ketchup or A1 on it, too, to complete the devastation.

He probably puts beans in chili ..

Trying to cook a really thick steak on the grill isn't the best option.

This is all I got from your post:

Reactions: HoosiersChamps

Dude, they're a side dish.

And fantastic as one...

Reactions: T.M.P.
what's everyone's favorite steak for grilling? Honestly I think my favorite is a really good grade Sirloin. I like ribeyes but they often can be fatty, and filets, but they often aren't very flavorful. NY Strips I generally just don't like. Sirloins to me are generally a great combination of lean and flavorful. My favorite tasting steak is a ribeye but even USDA Primes can be fatty.

NY strip.

Reactions: IU40IU

This...
Ruths-Chris-filet-mignon.jpg

Everything else just isn't as good.. But I'm with you, not a fan of NY strips. Sirloin or tenderloin are only cuts I go with.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Yeah, you can do that... I find no need.

That's how Ruth's Chris and fine steak houses do it. As it rests, it soaks in the buttery goodness. BTW, use clarified butter.

So for those not able to keep up ....

1) Good meat
2) Kosher salt and Fresh ground pepper
2a) Before seasoning, rub surface of meat with garlic (optional)
3) Fire.
4) Let rest 10 minutes in clarified butter.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Has anyone here ever tried their hand at "sous vide" cooking? I bought my immersion circulator about 9 months ago and haven't looked back. Some of the best steaks I've had have been through this method, not to mention other kinds of meats and vegetables. If you like to experiment and have a few dollars burning a whole in your pocket I would highly suggest, at minimum, researching it a bit to see if it's something you would like.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
A baked potato as big as your head is a side dish.

Roasted asparagus is a side dish.

Mushrooms and onions (on a great steak) are a distraction.

Stick with me, young ninja, and wise you will become.

We agree on the best steakhouse.

Quit while you're ahead.

At some point, old people's brains stop working so well.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Strips ....

We agree on the best steakhouse.

Quit while you're ahead.

At some point, old people's brains stop working so well.
If you ask the people "in the know" at Elmo's, they'll tell you that sauteed mushrooms and onions on one of their fine steaks is strictly for amateurs. The big leaguers know better.

Now get your a$$ over to Iaria's and order some fried ravioli and veal parmesan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT