ADVERTISEMENT

Green versus Guyton

Ditka is larger than the sky.
I fly through Ohare constantly (well..until recently) and da Coach was in front of me at TSA several yrs ago. The rent-a-cop Gen Z kid pulled da Coach aside for a private pat down screening. I was going to take a picture of this but was afraid Ditka would take my phone and crush it against my skull. The look on his face was scary.

Then I watched the poor old guy hobble through the United concourse...football totally wrecked that guy's body.

yes I don't think we're giving AJ enough credit.

I'd prefer to see an AJ vs Yogi match up. That would be interesting.

The game that most stands out for me regarding Guyton is vs. Peppardine in the NCAA tourney. Haston went down with a knee injury in the first 2 minutes of the game. IU really needed a big game from its leading scorer, Guyton (19.7 ppg). Guyton, in 34 minutes of play responded with: 3 points on 0-2 FG, 3-5 FT, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 foul and 2 TOs. When IU needed him most - he disappeared. That was his last game as an IU Hoosier.

The game that most stands out for me regarding Guyton is vs. Peppardine in the NCAA tourney. Haston went down with a knee injury in the first 2 minutes of the game. IU really needed a big game from its leading scorer, Guyton (19.7 ppg). Guyton, in 34 minutes of play responded with: 3 points on 0-2 FG, 3-5 FT, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 foul and 2 TOs. When IU needed him most - he disappeared. That was his last game as an IU Hoosier.
That game sucked!!

I remember that game really sucking but I can't remember all the details. I would assume that they really keyed on Guyton. He may not have been on the Isiah Thomas level but I think he was a better player than Green. If I remember right, that Pepperdine team was really long and athletic. At any rate, it's hard to judge a guy from his worst game. Other teammates sometimes need to help out at times too. Michael Lewis was a pass only guy that put a little more pressure on Guyton too.

also someone else's last game at IU.....the Reed choking story surfaced earlier in the week. Team had a bad vibe when the game started, played like they wanted a mercy killing handed to them. And they got it.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I put da Coach on the highest pedestal possible, but let's be careful here. Bad things happen to those who dis Chuck Norris. Very bad things. I'm not going there...
After breakfast, Ditka goes to the the bathroom with the sports section and takes a huge Chuck Norris. Let’s not ever confuse where each falls in the food chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
I remember that game really sucking but I can't remember all the details. I would assume that they really keyed on Guyton. He may not have been on the Isiah Thomas level but I think he was a better player than Green. If I remember right, that Pepperdine team was really long and athletic. At any rate, it's hard to judge a guy from his worst game. Other teammates sometimes need to help out at times too. Michael Lewis was a pass only guy that put a little more pressure on Guyton too.
they smothered AJ, switching defenders constantly. But still...only one shot from the field in each half. Too much off-court drama at that time, the team played like they couldn't wait to get back on the bus and go home.

After breakfast, Ditka goes the the bathroom with the sports section and takes a huge Chuck Norris. Let’s not ever confuse where each falls in the food chain.
you are tempting to me to start a Chuck Norris jokes thread.....the guy could kick the asses of Loki and Thor at the same time with one hand tied behind his back

you are tempting to me to start a Chuck Norris jokes thread.....the guy could kick the asses of Loki and Thor at the same time with one hand tied behind his back
So? Diana Ditka could kick their asses with nothing but a hairbrush and a shot glass. Let’s try to have some perspective here.

Hmmm ...

Then maybe you and Birnk could fight instead?
nah all this commentary is just my way of not going crazy ....I'm already getting bored of watching Classic game reruns on TV. If the IL gov shuts down the state and prevents me from going fishing,..just as spring is starting, I've got some tough decisions to make regarding my respect for the law.

Think he was better then Green? I saw AJ live as a freshman at Penn State. He was much better then as a fresh then Green ever was as a senior.

First off, I think the OP left off TIC when asking Green vs Guyton.

Secondly, yes AJ had a terrible last game. So did the whole team. Doubtful even with Haston (aka Hastings, as MD would call him), that team wins that night. The CNN/REED drama of a few days earlier absolutely zapped that team's focus. Even RMK couldn't shut out that noise.

That team/season started out so promising. IIRC, they beat Temple, UNC and UK early. Got into the top 10, maybe in December? A roadie at MSU in late January, IU in first place, IU led much of the way. Think it was Hornsby missed a FT late that likely ices the game. MSU came down, hit a 3 to send to OT and eventually win. IU would get them back at AH late season (Lynn Washington put back) in their last loss b4 winning it all. Close, Tough losses at PU and Wisky (good teams that would battle to go to FF 4), but head scratchers at home to OSU and on the road to a bad Minny squad hurt a lot.

As for this Pepperdine game being anyone's "game that stands out most for me re Guyton" must be some kind of a joke, right? This guy gave everything he had to IU for 4 years while drama was all around the program with big time transfers. Guyton hit big shot, after big shot with very little help. Granted they didn't win any BT titles during his 4 years, but that certainly wasn't on him.

This is complete disrespect to AJ. Green is nowhere near being even in the top half of guards to ever play at IU. He is my least favorite player all time at iu and it’s not close. The most selfish guard at iu I’ve ever saw and thought he was wayyyy better than he actually he was. The only thing good about the tourney being canceled is that I never have to watch him play again. Seems a bit harsh, but I never really got the feeling that he gave one flying f about iu..it was always about numero uno. We’ll be better next year by the simple fact that he won’t be playing. Oh, and I love me some AJ Guyton. Man he was fun to watch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT