ADVERTISEMENT

Good Russian interference article . . .

Aloha Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
The article includes names of people, websites and some specific examples of fake news that has gone viral about Ukraine (which @Mas-sa-suta eagerly shared here, but he wasn’t the only one) and Harris and Walz (recent example is @Ty Webb iu despicable smear of Walz which he excitedly stated a thread about). These were Russian backed or sourced. Mas, it names the Russian propaganda sites you must get your pro-Russia/anti-Ukraine propaganda from but never link to.

Long read, but worthwhile and could open some eyes - you’ll recognize some of the fake news because it’s been posted here:

Last edited:
Reactions: T.M.P.
The article includes names of people, websites and some specific examples of fake news that has gone viral about Ukraine (which @Mas-sa-suta eagerly shared here, but he wasn’t the only one) and Harris and Walz (recent example is @Ty Webb iu despicable smear of Walz which he excitedly stated a thread about). These were Russian backed or sourced. Mas, it names the Russian propaganda sites you must get your pro-Russia/anti-Ukraine propaganda from but never link to.

Long read, but worthwhile and could open some eyes - you’ll recognize some of the fake news because it’s been posted here:

Oh Lord, here we go again.

If Trump wins, are we going to be going through a whole new "He won because of Russia -- and he probably conspired with them to do it" charade?

FTR, I don't doubt that hostile foreign actors are putting out misinformation and disinformation. I do, however, doubt that it's having any material effect on our elections or anything else.

If Trump wins, are we going to be going through a whole new "He won because of Russia -- and he probably conspired with them to do it" charade?

FTR, I don't doubt that hostile foreign actors are putting out misinformation and disinformation. I do, however, doubt that it's have any material effect on our elections or anything else.
It certainly has an impact on individual people. They’re sharing Russian generated fake news and some get millions of hits on platforms like X. One of the perpetrators is an American who moved to Moscow to avoid legal problems here. All the efforts aren’t anti-Harris stuff a lot is to generate more friction and discontent in the US and more anti-Ukraine sentiment. It’s where the two yachts for Zelenskyy stuff came from. Fake news that even made it to this board.

Reactions: Digressions
It certainly has an impact on individual people. They’re sharing Russian generated fake news and some get millions of hits on platforms like X. One of the perpetrators is an American who moved to Moscow to avoid legal problems here. All the efforts aren’t anti-Harris stuff a lot is to generate more friction and discontent in the US and more anti-Ukraine sentiment. It’s where the two yachts for Zelenskyy stuff came from. Fake news that even made it to this board.
OK, but the fact that there are willing dupes out there isn't really the issue.

The subtext of this in 2016 (and maybe once again?) is that Trump's victory that year was illegitimate....which is ultimately no better than Trump's lie that Biden's victory in 2020 was illegitimate.

I'm sure that there were scattered, isolated instances of voter fraud that took place in 2020. I'm sure it happens each and every election. But the maliciousness of Trump's brazen lie wasn't that some votes were fraudulent. The problem was that he alleged that it happened enough that it was decisive in the election outcome -- planting the seed in his lemmings that Biden wasn't a legitimate president.

OK, but the fact that there are willing dupes out there isn't really the issue.

The subtext of this in 2016 (and maybe once again?) is that Trump's victory that year was illegitimate....which is ultimately no better than Trump's lie that Biden's victory in 2020 was illegitimate.

I'm sure that there were scattered, isolated instances of voter fraud that took place in 2020. I'm sure it happens each and every election. But the maliciousness of Trump's brazen lie wasn't that some votes were fraudulent. The problem was that he alleged that it happened enough that it was decisive in the election outcome -- planting the seed in his lemmings that Biden wasn't a legitimate president.
Agreed. No one knows what the actual impact of Russian interference was but there is no doubt they tried to influence the election. We can’t put our heads in the sand and ignore it.

Trump’s lie is a good example too.

Last edited:

Why should we care about Russia when we already have The Atlantic, 60 Minutes, and 51 Intelligence Officials?

FTR, I don't doubt that hostile foreign actors are putting out misinformation and disinformation. I do, however, doubt that it's having any material effect on our elections or anything else.
It certainly has an impact on the content of this forum.

I'll wager there's more illegal votes cast then there are votes swayed by 'russian disinformation' .

Which according to the 'there are almost no illegal votes cast' means the swayed votes make up about .0002 percent .

Last edited:
It is so crazy how fast and completely people buy misinformation. People want something to be true so they automatically believe it. Then it is a race to get it out there.

I am curious about another part of the way all this happens. Look how fast a thread popped up that 60 Minutes edited Harris' comments. It has been a day since we learned Fox edited Trump's. I don't see the same people mentioning it. Both should have stated at the beginning that parts were edited for time, or whatever.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

The left will complain about Russia.

The right will claim voter fraud.

It's a cycle that won't end.

Complaining is of no consequence. Promoting the idea that an election was invalid because of it, without evidence, is of great consequence.
I've been consistent since 2016 on these points:

1. We have no idea if Russian interference was substantial enough to change the outcome of any elections.
2. Even if it was, that doesn't make the results invalid. A legal voter's vote still counts, even if their choice was driven by susceptibility to foreign misinformation.

So let's stay away from this straw man. Having citizens targeted by foreign governments, and believing the disinformation that is sent there way, is a dangerous situation, regardless of any elections.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
A quick scan of that article doesn't give a list of sites or sources, justclaims of fake stories with links to other Wapo articles that I can't read and bunch of info about some asshole who used to be a cop in West Palm.

1. We have no idea if Russian interference was substantial enough to change the outcome of any elections.
2. Even if it was, that doesn't make the results invalid. A legal voter's vote still counts, even if their choice was driven by susceptibility to foreign misinformation.

So let's stay away from this straw man. Having citizens targeted by foreign governments, and believing the disinformation that is sent there way, is a dangerous situation, regardless of any elections.
Hillary Clinton has attributed her loss on more than one occasion to Russian meddling and said that Trump was thus an “illegitimate” president.

And, I have to say, it’s a little rare to come across Democrats who have chastised her for doing it.

IMG-0079.jpg

Hillary Clinton has attributed her loss on more than one occasion to Russian meddling and said that Trump was thus an “illegitimate” president.

And, I have to say, it’s a little rare to come across Democrats who have chastised her for doing it.

IMG-0079.jpg
What's that got to do with the price of tea in China? My concern is entirely different.

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China? My concern is entirely different.

Well, it’s important in a democracy that the people who supported losing candidates recognize the winning candidates as legitimate leaders.

Ultimately, that was the biggest problem with Trump’s despicable behavior after the last election. And it was also bad that many people were led to believe that Russian meddling affected the outcome in 2016.

We shouldn’t want to continue this cycle.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Well, it’s important in a democracy that the people who supported losing candidates recognize the winning candidates as legitimate leaders.

Ultimately, that was the biggest problem with Trump’s despicable behavior after the last election. And it was also bad that many people were led to believe that Russian meddling affected the outcome in 2016.

We shouldn’t want to continue this cycle.
I know. I already agreed. I'm saying we should still be very concerned with foreign governments - especially adverse ones - brainwashing our citizens. Whether or not it changes any election, it's a national security threat.

Mas has repeatedly alluded to post-election violence against his political enemies. What if a guy like him commits some atrocity because of something he swallowed from RT or Sputnik?

Exactly my position on it. Also, the impact of the Russian interference has not been quantified and probably is unquantifiable.

A quick scan of that article doesn't give a list of sites or sources, justclaims of fake stories with links to other Wapo articles that I can't read and bunch of info about some asshole who used to be a cop in West Palm.
Do a slower scan. Some specific websites are listed.

This bullsh!t gets tiresome.

Complaining is of no consequence. Promoting the idea that an election was invalid because of it, without evidence, is of great consequence.
Correct and the left has stated that Trump illegitimately won the election in 2016 and the right has stated that Biden illegitimately won the election in 2020. And there was great consequence back in 2016 and 2020. It is a cycle that unfortunately will not end. Watch, both Trump and Harris are going to claim they won the election on Wednesday, Nov 6th and the courts are going to wind up deciding in December or January and one half of the country is going to be very upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT