ADVERTISEMENT

Golden Globes

It's hard to deny that Hollywood has led the way in the discussion we are having right now.

Fitting, since Hollywood seem to have led the way in mistreating women as well. I find the whole thing hypocritical. I'd wager that the vast majority of the black clad preeners were well aware of Hollywood abuses for as long as they've been in Hollywood. To pretend to be shocked and disgusted today is laughable.
Yes, let's keep blaming the victims. Excellent idea. Doubtful it's much more prevalent in Hollywood than anywhere else. Politics, for example, seems to be keeping pace. Starting at the very top, of course.

Totally agree with Oprah and hope it's will just run its course. I think part of the issue is that most everyone agrees that Lady Bird director should have been on the list. She's been on nearly every group I've seen and my guess is it will get an Academy nomination.

Totally agree on Lady Bird and thought that Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman should have gotten attention from the Golden Globes instead of The Post, The Disaster Artist, Steven Speilberg, and Ridley Scott (All The Money In The World didn't get much attention in any way, so hard to figure why he was a Best Director candidate.)

And Oprah's speech was pretty awesome. Don't want her to be President, but she pounded the point pretty effectively.
I think Ridley got it partly because he had to reshoot such a large part of it with the recasting. That was pretty impressive.

We weren't talking about any of those other environments now, were we? Zeke credited Hollywood with "taking the lead" on discussing the issue. I merely find it to be hypocritical and self serving considering they ignored and/or tolerated it for decades. But whatever makes them look good now, right?

Nah...I don't see Hollywood looking good right now. I see some people working there trying to do better than they did previously and/or than the people that came before them. And I see you saying "Fitting, since Hollywood seem to have led the way in mistreating women as well" to which I humbly suggest that attitude is head-in-the-sand part of the problem.
I don't think it does a whole lot of good to look backwards at this point. But I don't think that there is any doubt that things are going to change moving forward. I know several people in businesses that have already sat through meetings discussing these issues with HR. I think the guys that used to think it was ok to smack a woman on the rear now know it's not, among other things. It's not going to change over night. It's honestly the best thing to come from the age of Trump.

I don't think it does a whole lot of good to look backwards at this point. But I don't think that there is any doubt that things are going to change moving forward. I know several people in businesses that have already sat through meetings discussing these issues with HR. I think the guys that used to think it was ok to smack a woman on the rear now know it's not, among other things. It's not going to change over night. It's honestly the best thing to come from the age of Trump.

I have been out of school for almost 20 years. That behavior has been inappropriate and deemed inappropriate in HR training for my entire adult working life.

Call me a pessimist but I do not see it really changing all that much either because I do not think it is widespread among men. I think you will continue to have some men act up and whether they get away with it will depend on if someone speaks up and if others in the know turn a blind eye. What may change is the willingness for people to speak up, that remains to be seen...particularly after the popular people move on to their next cause.

I have been out of school for almost 20 years. That behavior has been inappropriate and deemed inappropriate in HR training for my entire adult working life.

Call me a pessimist but I do not see it really changing all that much either because I do not think it is widespread among men. I think you will continue to have some men act up and whether they get away with it will depend on if someone speaks up and if others in the know turn a blind eye. What may change is the willingness for people to speak up, that remains to be seen...particularly after the popular people move on to their next cause.
Well, you're an optimist in thinking it's not pretty widespread. But a pessimist in thinking this movement is going to go away. It's not.

I hope Oprah runs and wins in 2020. That would be a phallus the size of Mars down the throat of the Trump Catastrophe and everything it represents.

For the most part I agree, but there are some celebrities that become pretty well versed on certain topics that they are passionate about. George Clooney for example, has spent a lot of time visiting famine stricken countries, camping with the people, think he even got dysentery once. I don't automatically dismiss someone because they are Hollywood. If they actually take the time to study the topic and not just donate money or make it a publicity stunt.
Studying for a role or running a foundation to benefit X, Y, or Z does not make one an expert. Expertise is under fire in this country in favor of celebrity and perhaps no pseudo-entity is more responsible for this than Hollywood.

I’m thrilled that DiCaprio and Damon are so into their charity and foundation work. But I’m not going to listen to them over actual scientific and social experts.

Studying for a role or running a foundation to benefit X, Y, or Z does not make one an expert. Expertise is under fire in this country in favor of celebrity and perhaps no pseudo-entity is more responsible for this than Hollywood.

I’m thrilled that DiCaprio and Damon are so into their charity and foundation work. But I’m not going to listen to them over actual scientific and social experts.
I don't listen to them over, but some of them actually consult the scientific experts while they are doing their work. So don't know more than the experts, but certainly know more than average Joe. That's my only point. I find it unfair to be dismissive of those that work hard to familiarize themselves in an area.

I find the very concept of celebrity to be disgusting, but if you remember not to treat these people as experts, there is still something they bring to the table: notability. Very few actual experts ever achieve celebrity at a level even remotely close to what sports and entertainment stars do. I wish every field or worthwhile cause had a Neil deGrasse Tyson or Stephen Jay Gould, but the ones that don't can be helped quite a bit when someone who is already famous adopts it as their personal cause.

That said, divorced from the issue of celebrity endorsements, your broader point is both valid and scary. We absolutely are facing a crisis of distrust of expertise in this country, which is not only a big reason why certain basic scientific concepts are doubted by so many, but also how we end up with something like a President Trump, and why we seriously bounce around the idea of Candidate Oprah.

I find the very concept of celebrity to be disgusting, but if you remember not to treat these people as experts, there is still something they bring to the table: notability. Very few actual experts ever achieve celebrity at a level even remotely close to what sports and entertainment stars do. I wish every field or worthwhile cause had a Neil deGrasse Tyson or Stephen Jay Gould, but the ones that don't can be helped quite a bit when someone who is already famous adopts it as their personal cause.

That said, divorced from the issue of celebrity endorsements, your broader point is both valid and scary. We absolutely are facing a crisis of distrust of expertise in this country, which is not only a big reason why certain basic scientific concepts are doubted by so many, but also how we end up with something like a President Trump, and why we seriously bounce around the idea of Candidate Oprah.

It's not a distrust of expertise. It's just total ****ing Idiocracy taking hold.

If the Dems are brain dead enough to nominate Oprah (which I'm 50% sure they are) to take on Trump...I have to seriously start working on finding a country to go raise my family in, other than this one. Because we are screwed.

It's not a distrust of expertise. It's just total ****ing Idiocracy taking hold.

If the Dems are brain dead enough to nominate Oprah (which I'm 50% sure they are) to take on Trump...I have to seriously start working on finding a country to go raise my family in, other than this one. Because we are screwed.

Democrats are stupid, but I sure hope they aren't that stupid.

There are people on this very forum, a forum full of college-educated souls, whom openly criticized Trump as having zero experience that would readily vote for Oprah.

Part of the latest Trumpkin rhetoric is somewhat true. He did beat a large field of qualified candidates. The difference is that I take that to be an insult of the voting base and not a feat of accomplishment by Trump.

There are people on this very forum, a forum full of college-educated souls, whom openly criticized Trump as having zero experience that would readily vote for Oprah.

Part of the latest Trumpkin rhetoric is somewhat true. He did beat a large field of qualified candidates. The difference is that I take that to be an insult of the voting base and not a feat of accomplishment by Trump.
Well, to be fair, I'd readily vote for Oprah, too...

...if she were running against Trump. But then, I'd probably vote for a potted fern over Trump.

Reactions: Capitol Hoosier

I would certainly not vote for her in the primary, but against Trump? Certainly.

Well, to be fair, I'd readily vote for Oprah, too...

...if she were running against Trump. But then, I'd probably vote for a potted fern over Trump.
If we don’t get into a war (beit foreign or civil) and we do not find ourselves in any Trump-induced crisis, I’d vote for him over Oprah. Because he’d be experienced by then and I won’t be a part of voting for celebrity.

Reactions: Cajun54
If we don’t get into a war (beit foreign or civil) and we do not find ourselves in any Trump-induced crisis, I’d vote for him over Oprah. Because he’d be experienced by then and I won’t be a part of voting for celebrity.
I don't think Trump's type of incompetence can be cured by experience. If I had to choose between two people who I don't think are fit for the job, one of whom is a decent human who seems to agree with me on policy, and the other of whom is an asshat who seems to disagree with me on policy, it's really not a tough decision. I would roll my eyes at Democrats who voted for Oprah in the primary, but come election day, I'd still take her as the lesser of two stupids.

Or, living in Indiana, I might take the opportunity to actually register a protest vote, assuming, of course, the Greens can find a way to nominate someone who isn't as ridiculously stupid as Jill Stein.

I don't think Trump's type of incompetence can be cured by experience. If I had to choose between two people who I don't think are fit for the job, one of whom is a decent human who seems to agree with me on policy, and the other of whom is an asshat who seems to disagree with me on policy, it's really not a tough decision. I would roll my eyes at Democrats who voted for Oprah in the primary, but come election day, I'd still take her as the lesser of two stupids.

Or, living in Indiana, I might take the opportunity to actually register a protest vote, assuming, of course, the Greens can find a way to nominate someone who isn't as ridiculously stupid as Jill Stein.
All fair. But this is the internet and we should argue some more.

You honestly think he's learning anything? I think he is incapable of learning. And I honestly am concerned he is having some type of neurological issue, tonight being just another example.

You honestly think he's learning anything? I think he is incapable of learning. And I honestly am concerned he is having some type of neurological issue, tonight being just another example.
I mean this with Peace and Love, but do you honestly not recognize that you sound like every Breitbarter just before the election re: Hillary?

I mean this with Peace and Love, but do you honestly not recognize that you sound like every Breitbarter just before the election re: Hillary?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...ump-mental-health-psychiatrist-25th-amendment
Well this has been discussed here several times. Have you seen the side by side if his talking ten years ago compared to now? The difference in his speech patterns is striking. The mistakes he makes, misusing words, spelling mistakes etc in his twitter feed are examples that he's either always been stupid or he's deteriorating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...ump-mental-health-psychiatrist-25th-amendment
Well this has been discussed here several times. Have you seen the side by side if his talking ten years ago compared to now? The difference in his speech patterns is striking. The mistakes he makes, misusing words, spelling mistakes etc in his twitter feed are examples that he's either always been stupid or he's deteriorating.
This whole idea remains silly beyond belief. I agree Trump is incompetent, and possibly terminally stupid, but the 25th wasn't written to remove Presidents after we come to the conclusion that they were idiots all along. It was written to deal with situations in which the President is suddenly flatly incapable of doing the job. Specifically, it was written in response to the recognition that the Constitution didn't clearly provide for a temporary transfer of authority to Nixon when Eisenhower had health issues, or cover what should be done in the time period between Kennedy's shooting and his death.

Removing Trump for being an imbecile would give rise to a constitutional crisis of epic proportions. It's never, ever, ever going to happen.

This whole idea remains silly beyond belief. I agree Trump is incompetent, and possibly terminally stupid, but the 25th wasn't written to remove Presidents after we come to the conclusion that they were idiots all along. It was written to deal with situations in which the President is suddenly flatly incapable of doing the job. Specifically, it was written in response to the recognition that the Constitution didn't clearly provide for a temporary transfer of authority to Nixon when Eisenhower had health issues, or cover what should be done in the time period between Kennedy's shooting and his death.

Removing Trump for being an imbecile would give rise to a constitutional crisis of epic proportions. It's never, ever, ever going to happen.

Nobody should want it to happen either. This isn't a banana republic (yet). But removing a validly elected President in this manner could very well destroy the country for good.

Nobody should want it to happen either. This isn't a banana republic (yet). But removing a validly elected President in this manner could very well destroy the country for good.
Exactly. There are only two ways to remove Trump from office without destroying the country:

1. Prove he committed crimes and impeach/convict him.
2. Vote for someone else in 2020.

And the case for #1 better be pretty damn solid. #2 is the safer route from all POVs.

Exactly. There are only two ways to remove Trump from office without destroying the country:

1. Prove he committed crimes and impeach/convict him.
2. Vote for someone else in 2020.

And the case for #1 better be pretty damn solid. #2 is the safer route from all POVs.

Yes. #1 is very likely futile . None of the Russia stuff is likely to come close to that level, IMO.

Dems should stay focused on finding component people to win seats this year. And then a competent nominee for 2020.

It shouldn't be hard.

Yes. #1 is very likely futile . None of the Russia stuff is likely to come close to that level, IMO.

Dems should stay focused on finding component people to win seats this year. And then a competent nominee for 2020.

It shouldn't be hard.
It really shouldn't be. The task being presented to the Democrats right now is: "You have about two years to come up with something that people would find more pleasant than a brain tumor."

But, this is the Democrats we are talking about, so...

Reactions: twenty02
Sorry man. It’s just that these people actually think I care about their takes on things as I couldn’t care less. They have an amplified voice for some reason, and I think it’s harming their causes.

Agreed. Would you say the same about sports stars, such as lebron James?

Sounds like Oprah is considering a run for President. Just no no no no no and no. We've had enough of this. Please give me someone competent with relevant managerial experience. Enough of the circus shit show. I want the most boring, roll up your sleeves, no drama person on Earth.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Believe me...I totally get it. I don't understand why anybody thinks that serving in the military automatically gives someone special policy insight, but for some reason we do. ;)
Some of us do. I certainly don’t.

I would probably give more credence to someone who served in a combat zone on the topic of military force. (My understanding is that those who face the horrors of war are more averse to starting war). Beyond topics pertaining to the military, I wouldn't give their views extra brownie points.

The main point is not that Hollywood has a monopoly on stupid views as compared to pharmaceutical sales people, but rather both Hollywood and professional sportspersons have a platform that the rest of us so not have. I don't care what that have to say, but millions of people voted for a celebrity. We have a lot of sheep in this country.

I would blame the internet more, and more specifically social media. The stock market crash didn't help either. Expertise is on its death bed.

C'mon man, you absolutely would not do that. I don't believe that for one second. That and we would not longer be bffs :p :D

Btw, Trump himself is a celebrity so we are tied on that count. Goat is right, that between 2 horrifically unqualified folks you vote for the decent human. Though, I've heard privately Oprah isn't so "decent" :D

I mean if you simply look at his tweets, it seems obvious he is not someone in control of himself, no?

Goat, let's say Trump received a diagnosis for some psychiatric disorder that he essentially was behaving irrationally. This would not be enough to remove him from office in a your opinion?

I mean if you simply look at his tweets, it seems obvious he is not someone in control of himself, no?

Goat, let's say Trump received a diagnosis for some psychiatric disorder that he essentially was behaving irrationally. This would not be enough to remove him from office in a your opinion?
I’m having a hard time following you here. Yes his tweeting is ridiculous. Yes I’d give a sizeable donation to any reasonable republican to oppose him in 2020. Yes he is unfit, from a competence perspective, to be President. But none of that matters constitutionally.

It doesn’t matter what you, I, or Goat think about his mental fitness. Until the rest of the government unanimously has proof that he committed crimes or is batshit crazy, he’s not going anywhere without starting an absolute constitutional crisis.

I would agree, mostly. The caveat is example is from the West Wing. Even though the voters elected Jeb Bartlett to a second term knowing he had MS, it was possible the MS would get far worse and they would need to invoke 25th. Being elected with an impairment should not be carte blanche to go entirely off the deep end. I take it as a status quo, as long as one is impaired roughly the same as when elected.

That all said, I can't imagine what Trump could do or say to trigger the 25th, and for the sake of the nation I hope it doesn't come to that.

It doesn’t matter what you, I, or Goat think about his mental fitness. Until the rest of the government unanimously has proof that he committed crimes or is batshit crazy, he’s not going anywhere without starting an absolute constitutional crisis.

Oh I realize that, but you don't think the tweets are evidence of someone that is batshit crazy? From my viewpoint his tweet saying he has a bigger button is grounds for the 25th. I believe he also made a declaration of war against Iran during the recent protests, which he promptly deleted.

I mean, theoretically he can call for a nuke strike on a whim. You wait until that point to call the 25th? The reports of his private behavior corroborate the idea that he is in fact batshit crazy.

I would agree, mostly. The caveat is example is from the West Wing. Even though the voters elected Jeb Bartlett to a second term knowing he had MS, it was possible the MS would get far worse and they would need to invoke 25th. Being elected with an impairment should not be carte blanche to go entirely off the deep end. I take it as a status quo, as long as one is impaired roughly the same as when elected.

That all said, I can't imagine what Trump could do or say to trigger the 25th, and for the sake of the nation I hope it doesn't come to that.

That's easy. Some Pakistani political insults Trump on Twitter. Trump in a fit of anger tweets that the US is preparing to nuke Pakistan. He then tweets that the button is in his hand. What do you do? And ignoring the particular country, I don't find this scenario to be farfetched. He's come very close to this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT