ADVERTISEMENT

Golden Globes

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
I doubt many really care about the Golden Globes. I don't. But for those not paying attention, in the wake of the terrible harassment and worse stories that have been revealed this year, the accepted approach and response to acknowledge that backdrop in Hollywood is to wear black to tonight's awards ceremony. Fine. Nothing objectionable about showing solidarity and it's too easy to throw shade at them when there aren't obvious answers as to how they otherwise should acknowledge the issue.

But I've thought since the story really broke that Oscars night will be a notable opportunity to grapple with the topic. Solidarity in black seems deficient, not that it should necessarily matter to me. But I'm interested nonetheless. The entire industry has historically and obviously been a hot mess of harassment and mistreatment of women (among other vices). That's basically just how it's always worked. Nary a meaningful word has really been said about that until this year. But now that it's "public", the response is to wear black at the awards show? Sure, yeah, I guess, but isn't there some other way to acknowledge that the entire industry is and has been broken basically forever other than conveniently wearing a designer outfit in the standard color? Maybe there isn't, which is basically the problem. Nothing they can do would be adequate.

But they're figuratively on my teevee and won't go away, so I figure it's worth commenting on.

most everybody looks better in black than anything else, so not exactly a sacrifice to wear black.

maybe florescent tennis ball greenish yellow, or traffic barrel orange, or bright pink, now that would show solidarity.

bwg.

Last edited:
I doubt many really care about the Golden Globes. I don't. But for those not paying attention, in the wake of the terrible harassment and worse stories that have been revealed this year, the accepted approach and response to acknowledge that backdrop in Hollywood is to wear black to tonight's awards ceremony. Fine. Nothing objectionable about showing solidarity and it's too easy to throw shade at them when there aren't obvious answers as to how they otherwise should acknowledge the issue.

But I've thought since the story really broke that Oscars night will be a notable opportunity to grapple with the topic. Solidarity in black seems deficient, not that it should necessarily matter to me. But I'm interested nonetheless. The entire industry has historically and obviously been a hot mess of harassment and mistreatment of women (among other vices). That's basically just how it's always worked. Nary a meaningful word has really been said about that until this year. But now that it's "public", the response is to wear black at the awards show? Sure, yeah, I guess, but isn't there some other way to acknowledge that the entire industry is and has been broken basically forever other than conveniently wearing a designer outfit in the standard color? Maybe there isn't, which is basically the problem. Nothing they can do would be adequate.

But they're figuratively on my teevee and won't go away, so I figure it's worth commenting on.
I do care about the Golden Globes every year because I'm a huge movie buff. I was even more interested in it this year because I wanted to see how they would handle the problem within the industry, with the monologue and the speeches. Seth Meyers had the difficult job of hosting the first major awards show since the story broke. I think he walked a very fine line and did an excellent job of being funny , but also respectful and aware of the situation. You will want to find Oprah's speech and listen to it in its entirety. I'm not the biggest Oprah fan in the world, but it was inspiring. I was honestly afraid the whole thing would be too heavy handed, but I don't feel it was. They did a good job of hitting just the right notes, in my opinion. ( They picked some wrong winners though!)

Reactions: baileyiu
I am not sure how an awards ceremony could take a meaningful strong stand. Stars could have boycotted it, but i am not sure that helps. They could have rioted, but riots are usually counterproductive. Options are somewhat limited. And for Hollywood, dressing like everyone else is somewhat a sacrifice.

My wife and I try to see most of the Oscar nominated movies. We are a little behind this year because of my knee surgery. So I have yet to see Shape of Water and Ladybird. The Post hasn't come around yet. So I will say that Three Billboards is a most powerful movie. I would be pleasantly surprised if one of those is better. Billboards has several opportunities to veer off in a direction I am sure test audiences wanted. But it stuck true to its course. I appreciate that in a movie, too many movies succumb to "give them what they want". There is my qualified endorsement of their winner.

Reactions: hoosboot
I am not sure how an awards ceremony could take a meaningful strong stand. Stars could have boycotted it, but i am not sure that helps. They could have rioted, but riots are usually counterproductive. Options are somewhat limited. And for Hollywood, dressing like everyone else is somewhat a sacrifice.

My wife and I try to see most of the Oscar nominated movies. We are a little behind this year because of my knee surgery. So I have yet to see Shape of Water and Ladybird. The Post hasn't come around yet. So I will say that Three Billboards is a most powerful movie. I would be pleasantly surprised if one of those is better. Billboards has several opportunities to veer off in a direction I am sure test audiences wanted. But it stuck true to its course. I appreciate that in a movie, too many movies succumb to "give them what they want". There is my qualified endorsement of their winner.
Call ME By Your Name has not come yet either, as I'm anxiously awaiting it. I enjoyed Three Billboards and Frances McDormand is a national treasure, but I had a big big problem with the character arc of Sam Rockwell. While he did excellent work, his redemption seemed really shallow to me, and that he hadn't earned it. He was a horrible, racist man, perpetrating violent acts in the prison. I'm not sure he really atoned for that, he just was suddenly forgiven. I think the film had times when it wasn't sure whether to play it as a dark comedy or drama and I had some issues with that. That being said, I really enjoyed it, but I liked both Lady Bird, and especially Shape of Water better. Dunkirk has been several critics favorites, and it probably isn't even in my top ten.

I really struggle with taking anything seriously if it stems from Hollywood. I’m not saying that I’m apathetic to the horrible things that have plagued women in that industry for decades (because I very much sympathize), but rather I struggle with the overly dramatic way they orate, the snide remarks of some actresses against a perceived monolith of men (Natalie Portman), and the overall condescension in their tone.

They have, in my opinion, far too loud a voice on political matters and it hurts the liberal agenda more than it helps. Award shows would be much better IMO if they just announced the winners and that is that.

Call ME By Your Name has not come yet either, as I'm anxiously awaiting it. I enjoyed Three Billboards and Frances McDormand is a national treasure, but I had a big big problem with the character arc of Sam Rockwell. While he did excellent work, his redemption seemed really shallow to me, and that he hadn't earned it. He was a horrible, racist man, perpetrating violent acts in the prison. I'm not sure he really atoned for that, he just was suddenly forgiven. I think the film had times when it wasn't sure whether to play it as a dark comedy or drama and I had some issues with that. That being said, I really enjoyed it, but I liked both Lady Bird, and especially Shape of Water better. Dunkirk has been several critics favorites, and it probably isn't even in my top ten.
My takeaway was that we do not know that Rockwell is redeemed. She and he are more concerned about a common enemy. I like that it left these questions open. Movies love to tie things up in a nice bow. All we know is he tried to capture a rapist murderer. He might still be a racist.

On the other hand, one might argue kindness begets kindness and Red's reaction has set him down the path to redemption. But we just don't know.

My takeaway was that we do not know that Rockwell is redeemed. She and he are more concerned about a common enemy. I like that it left these questions open. Movies love to tie things up in a nice bow. All we know is he tried to capture a rapist murderer. He might still be a racist.

On the other hand, one might argue kindness begets kindness and Red's reaction has set him down the path to redemption. But we just don't know.

My take away is it really doesn't matter if Rockwell is a redeemed racist. The point of his character is that even a racist can have a moral compass that leads in a good direction. Same for McDormand's character. She sees herself as a victim, which stems from her own guilt, and commits a very serious felony. Do we hold her accountable or give her a pass?

The best part of the movie is Harrelson's three letters. Those are outstanding pieces of writing and kinda sums up the whole story for me.

The coolest part of the movie is McDormand's automobile; but I'm a car guy.

My take away is it really doesn't matter if Rockwell is a redeemed racist. The point of his character is that even a racist can have a moral compass that leads in a good direction. Same for McDormand's character. She sees herself as a victim, which stems from her own guilt, and commits a very serious felony. Do we hold her accountable or give her a pass?

The best part of the movie is Harrelson's three letters. Those are outstanding pieces of writing and kinda sums up the whole story for me.

The coolest part of the movie is McDormand's automobile; but I'm a car guy.

I think you hit a good point on Harrelson's letters. In fact, Harrelson has the best performance.

The movie plays on our own biases. The best example is not only McDormand but everyone assumes Dixon is to blame for the arson. The fact that Penelope hits the movie fundamental, anger begets anger, is similarly a way to create this bias and have it proven wrong.

For the record, there is MUCH in today's world that could be solved by remembering that anger begets anger. Or as I believe the movie moves toward, kindness begets kindness.

I really struggle with taking anything seriously if it stems from Hollywood. I’m not saying that I’m apathetic to the horrible things that have plagued women in that industry for decades (because I very much sympathize), but rather I struggle with the overly dramatic way they orate, the snide remarks of some actresses against a perceived monolith of men (Natalie Portman), and the overall condescension in their tone.

They have, in my opinion, far too loud a voice on political matters and it hurts the liberal agenda more than it helps. Award shows would be much better IMO if they just announced the winners and that is that.

I'm wounded, Ranger...wounded I tell you. :rolleyes:

everyone assumes Dixon is to blame for the arson.

I think people who think like this are the same one's who go apoplectic over internet trolls, micoaggressions, and who seek safe spaces.

She planned the arson over a period of time. It wasn't a spontaneous outburst of emotion. The arson is not on Dixon.

Hey zeke thanks for ruining the movie for those of us who haven’t seen this.

I think people who think like this are the same one's who go apoplectic over internet trolls, micoaggressions, and who seek safe spaces.

She planned the arson over a period of time. It wasn't a spontaneous outburst of emotion. The arson is not on Dixon.

Sorry, I am speaking of the billboards.

It's hard to deny that Hollywood has led the way in the discussion we are having right now. Harvey Weinstein blew the lid off of the type of abuse that is found in the workplace and all walks of life. This is one area where trickle down may really work. Did you watch the awards? I was concerned that the tone would be off, but I really didn't think it was. How is it a snide or condescending remark to point out that all the directors were male? And they nearly always are. As Barbra Streisand pointed out, she won the director's award 35 years ago, and there hasn't been a female since. And i don't want a female winning if it's not the best movie. I think the point is that it's still much more difficult for a female to get the opportunity to direct.

It's hard to deny that Hollywood has led the way in the discussion we are having right now. Harvey Weinstein blew the lid off of the type of abuse that is found in the workplace and all walks of life. This is one area where trickle down may really work. Did you watch the awards? I was concerned that the tone would be off, but I really didn't think it was. How is it a snide or condescending remark to point out that all the directors were male? And they nearly always are. As Barbra Streisand pointed out, she won the director's award 35 years ago, and there hasn't been a female since. And i don't want a female winning if it's not the best movie. I think the point is that it's still much more difficult for a female to get the opportunity to direct.

Your point on directors is why I question Portman's commentary. Yes, it should be highly unlikely the 5 best directors are male. But it isn't impossible. One year of 5 men being nominated is not in and of itself conclusive of anything. Now we know it goes beyond one year of problems. But that wasn't her comment. If she had added "again", maybe it would have rang more true (I can't recall if there was a female director nominated last year).

And the Oprah 2020 thing scares me. We just elected someone with zero experience in politics, if we haven't learned our lesson than that's our fault.

Reactions: Bill4411

You said Hollywood but really meant politicians, right? Or lawyers?

Your point on directors is why I question Portman's commentary. Yes, it should be highly unlikely the 5 best directors are male. But it isn't impossible. One year of 5 men being nominated is not in and of itself conclusive of anything. Now we know it goes beyond one year of problems. But that wasn't her comment. If she had added "again", maybe it would have rang more true (I can't recall if there was a female director nominated last year).

And the Oprah 2020 thing scares me. We just elected someone with zero experience in politics, if we haven't learned our lesson than that's our fault.
Totally agree with Oprah and hope it's will just run its course. I think part of the issue is that most everyone agrees that Lady Bird director should have been on the list. She's been on nearly every group I've seen and my guess is it will get an Academy nomination.

Totally agree with Oprah and hope it's will just run its course. I think part of the issue is that most everyone agrees that Lady Bird director should have been on the list. She's been on nearly every group I've seen and my guess is it will get an Academy nomination.

I was really hoping to see Lady Bird at IU Cinema next weekend, but that is my busiest weekend in months. So it may not happen. I think there is a bias against the "comedy" category. The oscars won't have that breakdown and inherit bias.

Sorry man. It’s just that these people actually think I care about their takes on things as I couldn’t care less. They have an amplified voice for some reason, and I think it’s harming their causes.

I can't watch these awards shows. I'll read the list of nominees and winners, and try to make a point to see the films/shows if they sound the least bit interesting. But I don't really care to hear any of the stars bloviate.

Same goes for sports talk, for that matter.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I was really hoping to see Lady Bird at IU Cinema next weekend, but that is my busiest weekend in months. So it may not happen. I think there is a bias against the "comedy" category. The oscars won't have that breakdown and inherit bias.
Did you see The Big Sick? I loved that movie and can't believe it didn't get a Globe nomination.

I can't watch these awards shows. I'll read the list of nominees and winners, and try to make a point to see the films/shows if they sound the least bit interesting. But I don't really care to hear any of the stars bloviate.

This year's tone really was very different. Besides the monologue there was no mention of Trump. Since the whole abuse issue was broken wide open by Hollywood, I think it would have been tone deaf of them to ignore it. True confession: I watch for the fashion too.

At least sports talk has people who played sports commenting to keep things real. Hollywood is a bunch of people that act competent on issues they barely understand.

This year's tone really was very different. Besides the monologue there was no mention of Trump. Since the whole abuse issue was broken wide open by Hollywood, I think it would have been tone deaf of them to ignore it. True confession: I watch for the fashion too.

It's not the politics...it's I just have generally no interest in what they have to say, political or otherwise. At least with the Grammys you may get lucky and see a few good performances, LOL

It's not the politics...it's I just have generally no interest in what they have to say, political or otherwise. At least with the Grammys you may get lucky and see a few good performances, LOL
I've always liked all parts of award shows. So having Golden Globes and title game on back to back nights has me in tv heaven.

At least sports talk has people who played sports commenting to keep things real. Hollywood is a bunch of people that act competent on issues they barely understand.

While true...I feel that much of sports radio & ESPN is basically on par with US Weekly magazine, but for men.

Oh I think the women speaking out last night understand the issue all too well.

It's hard to deny that Hollywood has led the way in the discussion we are having right now.

Fitting, since Hollywood seem to have led the way in mistreating women as well. I find the whole thing hypocritical. I'd wager that the vast majority of the black clad preeners were well aware of Hollywood abuses for as long as they've been in Hollywood. To pretend to be shocked and disgusted today is laughable.

I wasn’t talking about ignorance of that topic. But pretty much everything else.
For the most part I agree, but there are some celebrities that become pretty well versed on certain topics that they are passionate about. George Clooney for example, has spent a lot of time visiting famine stricken countries, camping with the people, think he even got dysentery once. I don't automatically dismiss someone because they are Hollywood. If they actually take the time to study the topic and not just donate money or make it a publicity stunt.

Fitting, since Hollywood seem to have led the way in mistreating women as well. I find the whole thing hypocritical. I'd wager that the vast majority of the black clad preeners were well aware of Hollywood abuses for as long as they've been in Hollywood. To pretend to be shocked and disgusted today is laughable.

You should expand this expert hot take with some compare and contrast on the differences between a movie set, a pharmaceutical sales conference, tech sector ideation sessions, and Wall Street dinner meetings. :rolleyes:

Sorry man. It’s just that these people actually think I care about their takes on things as I couldn’t care less. They have an amplified voice for some reason, and I think it’s harming their causes.

Believe me...I totally get it. I don't understand why anybody thinks that serving in the military automatically gives someone special policy insight, but for some reason we do. ;)

You should expand this expert hot take with some compare and contrast on the differences between a movie set, a pharmaceutical sales conference, tech sector ideation sessions, and Wall Street dinner meetings. :rolleyes:

We weren't talking about any of those other environments now, were we? Zeke credited Hollywood with "taking the lead" on discussing the issue. I merely find it to be hypocritical and self serving considering they ignored and/or tolerated it for decades. But whatever makes them look good now, right?

Believe me...I totally get it. I don't understand why anybody thinks that serving in the military automatically gives someone special policy insight, but for some reason we do. ;)
Some of us do. I certainly don’t.

Totally agree on Lady Bird and thought that Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman should have gotten attention from the Golden Globes instead of The Post, The Disaster Artist, Steven Speilberg, and Ridley Scott (All The Money In The World didn't get much attention in any way, so hard to figure why he was a Best Director candidate.)

And Oprah's speech was pretty awesome. Don't want her to be President, but she pounded the point pretty effectively.

We weren't talking about any of those other environments now, were we? Zeke credited Hollywood with "taking the lead" on discussing the issue. I merely find it to be hypocritical and self serving considering they ignored and/or tolerated it for decades. But whatever makes them look good now, right?

Nah...I don't see Hollywood looking good right now. I see some people working there trying to do better than they did previously and/or than the people that came before them. And I see you saying "Fitting, since Hollywood seem to have led the way in mistreating women as well" to which I humbly suggest that attitude is head-in-the-sand part of the problem.

Some of us do. I certainly don’t.

I'm with you. I was just ribbing you about "I really struggle with taking anything seriously if it stems from Hollywood." Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, my brother. :>)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT