ADVERTISEMENT

Geronimo

I'm beginning to wonder what this kid has to do to get a starting spot. He has impressed me almost every game since he got to IU yet he's never gotten a chance to start.

Has length, can shoot, plays solid defense, is he just bad in practice? What gives?
I was wondering the same thing.

I do not understand why Geronimo was taken out and left out. The coaches needed to get him right back in the game.

Is he better than Stewart on defense? If so, get him in there for this late St. John's possession.

Reactions: 76-1
Geronimo played inspired ball tonight... Made the most of his minutes. He has earned his way into the rotation. I am sure CMW will mix Kopp, Race and Trayce with Geronimo, Trayce and Race, or any other cobinations as needed.
He is the model of improvement for others to match... RP, KL please watch!

Especially Parker if his threes dont start dropping more. Parker did save a last second putback last second tho
Right now whenever ro see Kopp or Stewart in the game I wonder why Bates isn’t in. Kids a player. Stewart can at least defend

Geronimo played inspired ball tonight... Made the most of his minutes. He has earned his way into the rotation. I am sure CMW will mix Kopp, Race and Trayce with Geronimo, Trayce and Race, or any other cobinations as needed.
He is the model of improvement for others to match... RP, KL please watch!
Geronimo has something that all good players have: it’s called moxie.

He wants to put the game in his hands. He wants the rock and he he has a will to win with the game on the line.. Bates has that mentality as well. Some of the veterans…not so much.

My dream lineup is Johnson, Bates, Geronimo, Race, and TJD. Talk about size and athleticism.
I would love to see that lineup. It could be Geronimo is still a little out of control and Woodson wants him to settle down a little. Maybe Kopp's experience gives him the edge for now. Geronimo is a great option to bring in off the bench to spark the second unit. He is a better rebounder than Kopp

The last cross court pass that was almost stolen would be a plausible reason. I’m guessing he does stuff like this in practice.

He was huge tonight, but let’s see if that the norm.

He wants to put the game in his hands. He wants the rock and he he has a will to win with the game on the line.. Bates has that mentality as well. Some of the veterans…not so much.
Good one BRCB.......Do you have moxie? Where can I get some moxie? Looks like you are already jumping back on the bandwagon.

Kopp plays okay but he should never be a starter when Geronimo is on the team. Kopp would be a really good bench shooter.
I am beginning to feel the same way. Kopp was better last night but G-man really made the most of his minutes and looked very good. Bates also had good minutes.

This team has enough components that someone different can step up every night.

Geronimo should definitely get more minutes. He and Bates are both better than Kopp in my opinion. Good things happen when is on the court. He is very active on the boards and on defense. Can knock down the three and finish around the rim

This was Kopp’s best game and I hope he can contribute every game.

I would start giving Lander some of Phin’s minutes. It is tough watching Phin initiate the offense. We really miss Xavier’s speed and explosiveness when he is out of the game.

Good win by IU.

Geronimo definitely reminds me of Oladipo as far as athleticism.
His overall play also reminds of Moye. And he vaguely reminds me of Wilmont.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Geronimo definitely reminds me of Oladipo as far as athleticism.
His overall play also reminds of Moye. And he vaguely reminds me of Wilmont.

He reminds me of Michael Jordan. I’m actually not kidding. He kinda looks like him, named after him, and that pull up 12 footer, and the floating with ease reverse last night? lil MJ in that man.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I think with Geronimo you've got a kid with NBA athleticism that now has an NBA head coach. I don't think Woodson is going to try and turn him into a college player. He's going to look to make him a pro player. Whether that works out or not I have no idea. The biggest thing he could bring to the team is consistent wing defense. Champagnie was killing us last night. Race doesn't have the foot speed to guard him. Bates wasn't big enough (or good enough yet as a defender). That's where Geronimo could be a real asset as the season unfolds. But he has to be able to be at least functional in the offense. If he can do that I see him starting by year's end.

So, long story short - a lot like Oladipo or Anunoby.

I think with Geronimo you've got a kid with NBA athleticism that now has an NBA head coach. I don't think Woodson is going to try and turn him into a college player. He's going to look to make him a pro player. Whether that works out or not I have no idea. The biggest thing he could bring to the team is consistent wing defense. Champagnie was killing us last night. Race doesn't have the foot speed to guard him. Bates wasn't big enough (or good enough yet as a defender). That's where Geronimo could be a real asset as the season unfolds. But he has to be able to be at least functional in the offense. If he can do that I see him starting by year's end.

He's got their athleticism..
But neither of their handles..
I did like a bunch of what I saw last night !

Reactions: larsIU
We really need Geronimo in when Race comes out for that rebounding/defense. I think Coach MW is working toward finding everyone's spot in live action and will adjust as the season progresses. Kopp/Stewart are shooters and will need that throughout the season and they need to start seeing them drop in games to gain some confidence. Saw that last night from Kopp after he hit his first three. He definitely is a liability on defense against a guard driven team like St J, but did have a nice block/steal from behind on the big guy in the post. I think we have a deep enough team, with different styles of play to mix and match as needed and trust coach to make those decisions.

I do not understand why Geronimo was taken out and left out. The coaches needed to get him right back in the game.
Also wonder that. Even kept Race and Jackson-Davis out for a long period of time . Geronimo and Bates give IU aggressive players on O and D. Stewart has disappointed because I thought he was supposed to be a scorer. Haven't materialized at all. Phinessee can't hit open 3's or a layup. I favor Lander over him. Durr is a fouling machine. Other than that , IU has guys that play hard and perform at a good level. Sometimes Mike looks too laid back. Must be all those NBA games and how you interact with personnel. I felt he needed to get in a few guys' faces on their poor performances. St.Johns did a tremendous amount of hipchecks and bumping and got away with it. I liked the way IU dived for loose balls on court but gotta cut down on allowing 2nd shots by opponents. Kopp reminds me of Colin Hartman. Tries but not really good. That is all.

I also wondered why Woodson didn't have Kopp in on last play for free throw shooting. You know what though, we finally have a really good coach who listens to his assistance. They also know the players better and see practices....we don't.

How does turning Geronimo into a pro player but not a college player work? What does that mean?

How does turning Geronimo into a pro player but not a college player work? What does that mean?
His skill set will likely never include ball handling at a high level. He could be a 3 and D guy in the NBA. So, he needs to be able to work within an offense to be a spot shooter/1 dribble shooter and lockdown defender at the wing plus, in some instances where's he's not physically overmatched, in the post. He will also be able to rebound well in college. I don't know about the NBA, maybe i suppose.

Reactions: Cavanagh
My dream lineup is Johnson, Bates, Geronimo, Race, and TJD. Talk about size and athleticism.
Only thing with that lineup is suspect on shooting. You're relying on Bates and JG for outside shooting. Probably makes more sense to tweak with adding Kopp or Stewart, for Bates or JG and balancing lineups a bit more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT