ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia governor to open movie theaters, gyms etc..

That's the cost of the food itself. If you pay $10 for a burger, it probably has about $3.50 worth of food in it. That does not include storage, labor, etc. Only how much it costs to bring the product into the restaurant.

nice thread hijack by everyone.

not like the original topic was important.

nice thread hijack by everyone.

not like the original topic was important.
3yx091.jpg

didn't know it had stopped being relevant.

Do you have anything new and pertinent to the topic? My best guess is 14 days after reopening we will start to see data on COVID transmission that either shows Georgia acted easily or Georgia opened correctly. Until those 14 days are up, we have little to discuss new on the topic.

So a discussion on profitability of restaurants is at least tangential to restaurants opening. The rush to reopen is based partially on businesses struggling. Restaurants are struggling at least as much as anyone.

Do you have anything new and pertinent to the topic? My best guess is 14 days after reopening we will start to see data on COVID transmission that either shows Georgia acted easily or Georgia opened correctly. Until those 14 days are up, we have little to discuss new on the topic.

So a discussion on profitability of restaurants is at least tangential to restaurants opening. The rush to reopen is based partially on businesses struggling. Restaurants are struggling at least as much as anyone.

in case you missed it,

fixed costs, both commercial and at home, are what's forcing them back open, and trumping health being the deciding factor in all reopening.

and what will be what forced the permanent closing of those that don't reopen, and those who won't survive even reopening at diminished earnings.

while everyone else but white collar who could work from home suffered 100% of the losses, protecting the investor class, feudal lords', and lenders' revenue streams 100%, was the govt's economic Covid strategy from day one. (even though interest rates were zero percent for the lenders, so pausing them would have cost them relatively zero long term).

that and letting Covid give cover to Wall St stealing a couple trillion more from Ft Knox as a cherry on top.

you can't discuss reopening without addressing why reopening is being forced.

if you have something of substance to add, go for it.

if not, don't.

in case you missed it,

fixed costs, both commercial and at home, are what's forcing them back open, and trumping health being the deciding factor in all reopening.

and what will be what forced the permanent closing of those that don't reopen, and those who won't survive even reopening at diminished earnings.

while everyone else but white collar who could work from home suffered 100% of the losses, protecting the investor class, feudal lords', and lenders' revenue streams 100%, was the govt's economic Covid strategy from day one. (even though interest rates were zero percent for the lenders, so pausing them would have cost them relatively zero long term).

that and letting Covid give cover to Wall St stealing a couple trillion more from Ft Knox as a cherry on top.

you can't discuss reopening without addressing why reopening is being forced.

if you have something of substance to add, go for it.

if not, don't.

There is not an answer. The biggest fixed cost is usually rent. I know you favor stopping rents. The management companies have fixed costs, those buildings still need maintenance and have mortgages. How do we bail them out? Stop mortgages (only attacks part of those two things), then banks will have zero income and will go under.

That's the cost of the food itself. If you pay $10 for a burger, it probably has about $3.50 worth of food in it. That does not include storage, labor, etc. Only how much it costs to bring the product into the restaurant.

My father and I had buffet for several years. We tried to keep our food and labor costs at 65%. It was difficult to keep it that low. We were very profitable. No alcohol and we weren’t open on Sundays. We hauled 5-6 Amish ladies about a 45 minute drive for the morning shift and another 5-6 for the afternoon/evening shift.

My father and I had buffet for several years. We tried to keep our food and labor costs at 65%. It was difficult to keep it that low. We were very profitable. No alcohol and we weren’t open on Sundays. We hauled 5-6 Amish ladies about a 45 minute drive for the morning shift and another 5-6 for the afternoon/evening shift.

Was it part of the Stolls buffets? I spent a lot of time at the one in Bedford, and occasionally at Loogoottee.

The baseline model for keeping a restaurant above water is the 33-33-33 model. You spend 33% on labor, 33% on food/drink, and 33% on everything else combined. Obviously, different concepts push those numbers in different ways and find their profit in different places. If you were spending 65% on food/labor and turning a decent profit, that means you were significantly below the average on other costs.

The baseline model for keeping a restaurant above water is the 33-33-33 model. You spend 33% on labor, 33% on food/drink, and 33% on everything else combined. Obviously, different concepts push those numbers in different ways and find their profit in different places. If you were spending 65% on food/labor and turning a decent profit, that means you were significantly below the average on other costs.
Wouldn't a buffet tend to have lower labor costs? Then again, you might have more food waste...

Was it part of the Stolls buffets? I spent a lot of time at the one in Bedford, and occasionally at Loogoottee.

Different Stoll’s but probably related. Loogootee was always very good and still is. Never ate at one in Bedford.

Ours was in Linton Indiana. We bought off Amish client who was getting stole blind. We soon figured out one of our bakers in Linton was baking our bread at home with our ingredients and recipe and selling in our packaging. Lol. Waitresses were keeping sales receipts. Poor Amish client was only at business one shift a day. He didn’t have a prayer.

Dad loved to walk the parking lot looking at license plates to see where our customers were coming from. We had regular Friday and Saturday night customers from Illinois and as far away as Indy.

It all ended when my dad’s brother brought his stepsons in to work. My dad said he was out and I went with him. Dad secured the Amish ladies and my mom a clean freak kept the place spotless. I knew without them things would go bad.

My dad’s brother added one in Brazil and another on 41 just off 64 exit. He found out he needed my parents. It went bad.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Wouldn't a buffet tend to have lower labor costs? Then again, you might have more food waste...
I've never run a buffet, but I've run a few large buffet-style catering events, and you're right at least in that context. We'd eat some extra food cost, but make up for it by keeping labor down around 10-15%.

Been over 20 years and my memory could be bad. I think for a buffet a 60-65% prime cost wasn’t bad at the time.

We bought the building and equipment for less than $200,000. I set up operating loan that was never touched. Vendors gave us 30 days. We hit the ground running and never looked back. We had never been in restaurant business. We knew how to work. My mom and the Amish ladies knew how to put out great home cooked meals. Desserts to die for. Many homemade salads. Homemade bread, apple butter and a special peanut butter spread.

We got lucky. Would have been just as easy to lose our asses.

I've never run a buffet, but I've run a few large buffet-style catering events, and you're right at least in that context. We'd eat some extra food cost, but make up for it by keeping labor down around 10-15%.

Hauling Amish gals over 35 miles one way was expensive. We had a driver and van operating costs. In labor costs was a monthly bonus paid to my uncle, 30% of profit.

Different Stoll’s but probably related. Loogootee was always very good and still is. Never ate at one in Bedford.

Ours was in Linton Indiana. We bought off Amish client who was getting stole blind. We soon figured out one of our bakers in Linton was baking our bread at home with our ingredients and recipe and selling in our packaging. Lol. Waitresses were keeping sales receipts. Poor Amish client was only at business one shift a day. He didn’t have a prayer.

Dad loved to walk the parking lot looking at license plates to see where our customers were coming from. We had regular Friday and Saturday night customers from Illinois and as far away as Indy.

It all ended when my dad’s brother brought his stepsons in to work. My dad said he was out and I went with him. Dad secured the Amish ladies and my mom a clean freak kept the place spotless. I knew without them things would go bad.

My dad’s brother added one in Brazil and another on 41 just off 64 exit. He found out he needed my parents. It went bad.

Well then, I did eat there one time. We went on a drive through Greene County and saw a Stolls in Linton and thought we would eat there. Until now, I just assumed all these were related.

I got spoiled with my parents. I thought restaurant business was easy. A few years later I bought the Gasthof Restaurant in Montgomery Indiana out of bankruptcy with a client. Less than six months later I had lost over 30 pounds. I weighed less than I weighed in high school. I looked like death walking around. Between the restaurant and my practice offices in two towns, I was near nervous breakdown. Amazing what stress can do to you. Wouldn’t wish it on worst enemy. Thank god I found someone to buy it before it killed me.

Lesson learned. I never want to see another restaurant.

I got spoiled with my parents. I thought restaurant business was easy. A few years later I bought the Gasthof Restaurant in Montgomery Indiana out of bankruptcy with a client. Less than six months later I had lost over 30 pounds. I weighed less than I weighed in high school. I looked like death walking around. Between the restaurant and my practice offices in two towns, I was near nervous breakdown. Amazing what stress can do to you. Wouldn’t wish it on worst enemy. Thank god I found someone to buy it before it killed me.

Might as well buy redbones. It'll be your retirement gift to yourself.

Well then, I did eat there one time. We went on a drive through Greene County and saw a Stolls in Linton and thought we would eat there. Until now, I just assumed all these were related.

Do you remember year? Again memory little fuzzy but think I owned with parents between 1989 and 1999. I wouldn’t want any responsibility for what it became later. Lol.

Dang, now I have eaten at two of your restaurants. The last time we ate there was 2.5 years ago, I did not find it near as good as fifteen tears ago. I hope you sold it before then.

Do you remember year? Again memory little fuzzy but think I owned with parents between 1989 and 1999. I wouldn’t want any responsibility for what it became later. Lol.

It would have been right around 2000 going by how old my kids were in my memory. So there is a great chance.

Might as well buy redbones. It'll be your retirement gift to yourself.

Redbones, what a place! Actually good steaks. Have you partied in the bar late into the nite and gambled after hours? Could be a little scary for a stranger there. lol.

Reactions: Spartans9312
No I haven't. Always see it when I pass thru.

While passing through, turn north at the Gasthof sign. Couple miles up road you can get very good home cooked meal, desserts and baked goods.

The inside of the building is unique. A Mennonite doctor from Paoli built the restaurant and hotel. He also built Paoli Peaks. Everyone thought he was crazy building ski resort in hills of Orange County.

Reactions: Spartans9312
While passing through, turn north at the Gasthof sign. Couple miles up road you can get very good home cooked meal, desserts and baked goods.

The inside of the building is unique. A Mennonite doctor from Paoli built the restaurant and hotel. He also built Paoli Peaks. Everyone thought he was crazy building ski resort in hills of Orange County.
I've been there several times. Good food.
Actually used to have business meetings upstairs.

Reactions: stollcpa

If you ever get the itch again, let me know. You provide the capital; I'll do the work. Win-win.

Reactions: stollcpa
If you ever get the itch again, let me know. You provide the capital; I'll do the work. Win-win.

Speaking of itch....

Woman charged with allowing customer into salon for massage and masturbation during circuit breaker period
jin-yin--1-.jpg

SINGAPORE: At a time when most non-essential businesses were ordered closed, a woman allegedly kept her beauty salon open and allowed a man to enter for massage and masturbation services.

Jin Yin, 55, was charged on Wednesday (Apr 29) with failing to ensure her In-Style Beauty Salon at Block 34 Upper Cross Street was closed on Apr 10, three days after the start of Singapore's "circuit breaker" period to stem the spread of COVID-19.

She is accused of allowing 67-year-old Chan Fun Hwee into the premises and providing massage and masturbation services to him for S$150 between 1pm and 2.30pm that day.

Jin was also given two other charges of carrying on a massage business without a licence under the Massage Establishments Act and advertising the business.

She paid an agent to put up an advertisement on Locanto.sg to offer massage and masturbation services, the charge sheet stated.

Jin, who was unrepresented, told the court through tears that she wanted to plead guilty and that she was "in the wrong".

She said she needed the money as her mother, who has since died, was suffering from cancer.

She will return to court to plead guilty on May 13.

For not keeping her premises closed under the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations, she can be jailed for up to six months, fined up to S$10,000 or both.

For each charge of carrying out an unlicensed massage business and advertising it, she can be jailed for up to two years, fined a maximum S$10,000 or both. Jin also faces enhanced punishments as she was previously convicted of similar offences, her charge sheets stated.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At least she was law-abiding enough to go out with her 3Ply mask on. Should be some leniency for providing in my view, an essential service.
Not fair.

Been like this over here for a month now. Its illegal to go out without a mask.... unless you are exercising.

Over here, NY is trying that with great pushback. The governor of Ohio pretty much said he would like to try it but there is no way he can do it politically. Americans are crazy about these things, freedom is the right to infect others.

Over here, NY is trying that with great pushback. The governor of Ohio pretty much said he would like to try it but there is no way he can do it politically. Americans are crazy about these things, freedom is the right to infect others.

Basically its me me me me me God! me me me FREEDOM! me me me me USA! me me me me me Guns....

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT